Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
http://www.lead-adventure.de/index.php?topic=94574.0

These new Sharpe models from Brigade look great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

So today's my birthday and I received my very first vehicle for Bolt Action, a Schwimmwagen. I am all excited to build it, but now I'm wondering HOW I should build it.

What are good strategies to use a little vehicle like this in the game? How should I make it look? Do I need a second dude to man the gun if I include it? Google hasn't been very helpful.

I also got a tank, but that seems much more straight forward: Put all the guns on it. It's an M4 Sherman that I'm going to paint captured.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

ExtraNoise posted:

So today's my birthday and I received my very first vehicle for Bolt Action, a Schwimmwagen. I am all excited to build it, but now I'm wondering HOW I should build it.

What are good strategies to use a little vehicle like this in the game? How should I make it look? Do I need a second dude to man the gun if I include it? Google hasn't been very helpful.

I also got a tank, but that seems much more straight forward: Put all the guns on it. It's an M4 Sherman that I'm going to paint captured.

The Schwimmwagen can only carry 3 dudes, so you'll probably use it to drive one of your HQ teams or a weapon team around. I'd model the gun on it, and just let your opponent know if you didn't actually pay the points for it. You don't need a second guy to man the gun, and it can still be fired after the transported unit disembarks, just mind the rules on how close a transport can actually get to the enemy.

The Armies of Germany book and the website seem to differ on the game details for the model. The book says it can't tow anything, the website says it can tow light anti-tank guns, so depending on which you go with that can be another role for it.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Arquinsiel posted:

Best of luck, but it's more a problem with time and bacterial cultures than it is one of picking the sand that doesn't smell.

Wouldn't storing it in a freezer for a few days work to kill the bacteria like with shoes?

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

spectralent posted:

I've discovered BF are loving awful about getting things even to entirely legit stores, but yeah, I've had issues with Wayland on even non-BF products, so I'm inclined to think they're the common factor there. My favourite little trick of theirs is saying things are in stock when they most assuredly aren't and only telling you this when the reorder actually comes in.

Battlefront's problem is they are a relatively small company with a massive index of product codes for a relatively small company. All those stupid blisters with individual variations of German tanks or British armoured car that are probably hopelessly low volume.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Arquinsiel posted:

Best of luck, but it's more a problem with time and bacterial cultures than it is one of picking the sand that doesn't smell.

You can just bake the motherfucker if you've picked up sand, though. It'll be hot as gently caress for like a day and it'll stink but it'll be sterile.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

muggins posted:

http://www.lead-adventure.de/index.php?topic=94574.0

These new Sharpe models from Brigade look great

:stwoon:

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

tomdidiot posted:

Battlefront's problem is they are a relatively small company with a massive index of product codes for a relatively small company. All those stupid blisters with individual variations of German tanks or British armoured car that are probably hopelessly low volume.

Yeah, the scuttlebutt on FoW from game store people I know is that basically there's way too much stuff and you often end of stocking a bunch of stuff that just never moves(early war stuff in particular) so a lot of the stores just don't do it any more.

I think other than the core stuff, most people looking for a Panzer I are probably just going to look online first because they probably need more than the one the game store may possibly stock anyway.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Panzeh posted:

Yeah, the scuttlebutt on FoW from game store people I know is that basically there's way too much stuff and you often end of stocking a bunch of stuff that just never moves(early war stuff in particular) so a lot of the stores just don't do it any more.

I think other than the core stuff, most people looking for a Panzer I are probably just going to look online first because they probably need more than the one the game store may possibly stock anyway.

Yeah, I've been told that's more or less the reason my store only orders in now.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

I like these, but they need some with shakos.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Colonial Air Force posted:

I like these, but they need some with shakos.

Hagman is wearing a shako.

Tongue is wearing his bandana, and I think that's Cooper with his rifle aimed, and possibly Harris between them, but don't know who the last one is, unless young Perkins got a bit older.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Oct 26, 2016

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

working mom posted:

Wouldn't storing it in a freezer for a few days work to kill the bacteria like with shoes?

spectralent posted:

You can just bake the motherfucker if you've picked up sand, though. It'll be hot as gently caress for like a day and it'll stink but it'll be sterile.
This. Freezing it won't actually kill the relevant bacteria.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

ExtraNoise posted:

Actually, you might want to leave off the pintle-mounted MG on the Sherman, it doesn't really seem to add much for the downsides (basically any time you fire it, the tank counts as open-topped, which is kind of a Bad Thing).

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Arquinsiel posted:

This. Freezing it won't actually kill the relevant bacteria.

I wasn't sure, at least baking it works though!

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

Actually, you might want to leave off the pintle-mounted MG on the Sherman, it doesn't really seem to add much for the downsides (basically any time you fire it, the tank counts as open-topped, which is kind of a Bad Thing).

Thanks for this. I'll make sure to leave it off!

Regarding painting: An airbrush isn't viable right now for me. What rattlecan should I use for the US tank olive drab, does anyone have a recommendation? Is it okay to mix an enamel like Testors with acrylics for details?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

ExtraNoise posted:

Thanks for this. I'll make sure to leave it off!

Regarding painting: An airbrush isn't viable right now for me. What rattlecan should I use for the US tank olive drab, does anyone have a recommendation? Is it okay to mix an enamel like Testors with acrylics for details?

I can recommend Plastic Soldier Company's warsprays, I've been very pleased with how their British Armour came out on my FoW Comets.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Oct 26, 2016

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
So now that I have a short break from school, I've started work on a Sharp Practice 2 module for roll 20, AWI themed to start. I'll keep you guys updated

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Dirt Worshipper posted:

So now that I have a short break from school, I've started work on a Sharp Practice 2 module for roll 20, AWI themed to start. I'll keep you guys updated

Nice!

Well, it seems we're doing North Africa next at my club. People are ordering DAK and Desert Rats boxes, and I'm sitting with a whole bunch of tanks that need to get painted.

First trial tank is this heavily fortified Sherman. Is the camo really from later on, like El Alamein? Didn't the whole "pile poo poo on our Shermans" belong more to Normandie and beyond? Is the 6th army marker placed incorrectly, as the sandbags cover where it should be?

Well, let's just say that I don't care enough about Brittish tank to get them right, because everything about Allied armour is a confused mess compared to the Panzers I use to paint. :P

It's a Warlord plastic 1:56 Sherman, with a metal Perry tank commander.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
You're right, the sandbags for protection was a Normandy thing, but having bags of stuff hang from your tank was pretty common in Africa too.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Nice!

So, speaking of North Africa: Say that one wanted to have a bunch of destroyed tanks and vehicles and stuff to use as terrain. And say that one didn't want to spend good money on normal kits, only to then turn around and destroy them. What might one do to find suitable wreck terrain without breaking the bank (and without resorting to knocking over their FLGS)? I'm asking...um...for a friend. Yeah, for a friend.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

Ilor posted:

Nice!

So, speaking of North Africa: Say that one wanted to have a bunch of destroyed tanks and vehicles and stuff to use as terrain. And say that one didn't want to spend good money on normal kits, only to then turn around and destroy them. What might one do to find suitable wreck terrain without breaking the bank (and without resorting to knocking over their FLGS)? I'm asking...um...for a friend. Yeah, for a friend.

How about repainting and smashing up a terrible revell snapfit abomination?

https://www.amazon.com/Revell-Comba...combat+crushers

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

spectralent posted:

Yeah, I've been told that's more or less the reason my store only orders in now.

Similar story here, FLGS is downsizing its FoW inventory and is only going to keep the latest and greatest in stock, and even then that is mostly going to be the box sets.

If you want anything else its a special order, pay up front, and even then they aren't going to bother with it unless its more of the new releases or the plastics. Too many headaches when somebody orders 10 of (Idk, the special Stalingrad t-34 for example) blister and the store gets told its going to be on backorder for 6 months.

Ilor posted:

Nice!

Check Hobby Lobby, I see tons of "babies first scale model edition" 1/72, 1/58, etc... scale tanks and planes for like 5 bucks a pop whenever I go, generally near the clearance area.

Numlock fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Oct 29, 2016

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
Some photos of our ACW sp2 battle today. Lots of fun!

Sharp practice acw https://imgur.com/gallery/KjHCK

Teaser

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Numlock posted:

Similar story here, FLGS is downsizing its FoW inventory and is only going to keep the latest and greatest in stock, and even then that is mostly going to be the box sets.

If you want anything else its a special order, pay up front, and even then they aren't going to bother with it unless its more of the new releases or the plastics. Too many headaches when somebody orders 10 of (Idk, the special Stalingrad t-34 for example) blister and the store gets told its going to be on backorder for 6 months.

It's one of the reasons I'm considering a more full-time shift to TY; having a relatively limited range and most of it in plastic might mean they can actually keep poo poo in stock and not leave me waiting half a year for my tanks.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Polikarpov posted:

How about repainting and smashing up a terrible revell snapfit abomination?

https://www.amazon.com/Revell-Comba...combat+crushers

Oh jeez, that's horrible. I was going to suggest Lindberg kits, but this is even worse somehow.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

spectralent posted:

It's one of the reasons I'm considering a more full-time shift to TY; having a relatively limited range and most of it in plastic might mean they can actually keep poo poo in stock and not leave me waiting half a year for my tanks.

Yeah, I'm jumping over to TY since it seems a lot of people are getting into that. Andnobody really seems that interested in FoW.

I bought a company's worth of Comets for nothing. :negative:

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

Ensign Expendable posted:

Oh jeez, that's horrible. I was going to suggest Lindberg kits, but this is even worse somehow.

Don't knock it, they have a Sherman that Hobby Lobby was selling on rebate that I picked up for like $3. After a coat of paint it wasn't that bad for tabletop standard.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Ilor posted:

Nice!

Most important question is, what scale?

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

ExtraNoise posted:

whatever looks cool. BA is not very WYSIWYG.

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

The Schwimmwagen can only carry 3 dudes, so you'll probably use it to drive one of your HQ teams or a weapon team around. I'd model the gun on it, and just let your opponent know if you didn't actually pay the points for it. You don't need a second guy to man the gun, and it can still be fired after the transported unit disembarks, just mind the rules on how close a transport can actually get to the enemy.

The Armies of Germany book and the website seem to differ on the game details for the model. The book says it can't tow anything, the website says it can tow light anti-tank guns, so depending on which you go with that can be another role for it.

Armies of Germany is about to be updated.

surely someone is making 28mm hollow plastic wrecked tanks for scenery. no moving parts, simple structure.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Kommando posted:

Armies of Germany is about to be updated.

surely someone is making 28mm hollow plastic wrecked tanks for scenery. no moving parts, simple structure.

Suggest it to Warlord, they do resin wrecks for Antares.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

I picked up a Tamiya Kübelwagen today but it doesn't have an HMG in the kit. Can HMGs be purchased in 28mm scale somewhere? All of my searching on Google only results in HMG teams or in accessory sets to add on to the model. (I may go with the latter here if there's no better option - its a lot of detail for $$$ but but but... bullets!)

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Arquinsiel posted:

Most important question is, what scale?
Sorry, should have led with that; 28mm, 1/56 scale.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

ExtraNoise posted:

I picked up a Tamiya Kübelwagen today but it doesn't have an HMG in the kit. Can HMGs be purchased in 28mm scale somewhere? All of my searching on Google only results in HMG teams or in accessory sets to add on to the model. (I may go with the latter here if there's no better option - its a lot of detail for $$$ but but but... bullets!)

http://company-b-models-and-miniatures.myshopify.com/collections/accessories/products/accessories-afv-mg425

You'll have to rig a mount out of sprue

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Thank you!

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
Roll 20 SP2 trip report

This was me and my buddy's first attempt at learning the rules, so we played a straightforward british attack on a colonial line in the open

British
Status 3 leader, 2 units regulars
Status 2 leader, 2 units regulars
Status 1 leader, 1 unit Butler's Rangers

Americans
Status 3 leader, 3 units continentals
Status 2 leader, 3 units militia
Status 1 leader, rifle armed skirmishers

Combined formation of british infantry with the rangers screening approaches through the main colonial line through the wood, with a second regiment holding the tree line off to the right

At first the british do well, moving forward slowly but keeping troops together and rallying off shock. The British on the right hammer the colonials line in the open, paralyzing them with long range controlled volleys

Eventually the british line opens to begin an attack and gets off an ineffective volley, while suffering heavily in return from the 30 militia in the center

The eventual crumble under the fire of the militia and rifles, their formation breaks and they are forced back through the woods. The British on the right are doing ok but are too outnumbered to continue

[timg]http://i.imgur.com/4qbL2TZ.jpg][/timg]

Overall the game was really fun, I like the way that the command card mechanic adds decisions. Even with such a basic game (straight up frontal attack) there were plenty of interesting decisions to be made during the game... do I spend time rallying shock or directing my fire with my leader?

I see why people complain about militia however. With 10 man units rather than 8 they are able to muster more muskets and soak more shock before retiring than line at the start of fights. They do have the disadvantage of only being able to fire *one* controlled volley however. Also the scenario (frontal assault) played to their strengths, ie. being able to sit still and fire away without having to maneuver or deal with much harassing fire.

Overall a really fun learning game, I'm excited to play more.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

The difference from the old Open fire! vs the new Open fire! (green is old)

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Pretty sure that even Airfix circa 2005 would have baulked at selling the old open fire model

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Frobbe posted:

Oh god I'm having flashbacks...the horror...the horror...

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Frobbe posted:

Lemme guess, the old one is that lovely softer plastic that makes all mold lines 3x as hard to remove?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

can anyone show me a picture of some of the matchbox cars in a suitable scale for bolt action? I had a look at the local toy stores but they seemed too small when I eyeballed them (ie willys jeep anniversary edition) - maybe I shouldn't worry so much about exact scale.