Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Safe option is the Bolters. £5 the sword armed Sisters will be Elites and the Flamer armed Sisters will be Fast Attack in the Talons of the Emperor list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Oh, drat I didn't realize they were even getting rules beyond that PDF.

I'll do bolters for now.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Mentions in the preview of the Custodes rules in this month's WD, Sisters, Custodes and a few more things (Knights Errant?) are being compiled into a list called Talons of the Emperor, to be released with Inferno.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

moths posted:

Oh, drat I didn't realize they were even getting rules beyond that PDF.

I'll do bolters for now.

The PDF is for 40k. Not 30k.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

panascope posted:

FW selling loaded dice to Iron Warriors players is an interesting way to apologize.

Only problem is 9 in 10 are weighted to roll ones.

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING

adamantium|wang posted:

Only problem is 9 in 10 are weighted to roll ones.

Clearly so you can pass pinning tests.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
I'm washing pieces of a spartan. Any advice before I start to assemble this beast?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Forgeworld is making terrible jokes again!

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.

GreenMarine posted:

I'm washing pieces of a spartan. Any advice before I start to assemble this beast?

Standard FW tank assembly. Build the hull first and fill in the spaces with plasticard and/or green stuff and then sand each side very flat. The track parts will probably need lots of green stuff to fix any messed up or missing details and a then a good heat treatment to flatten it out. Dry fit the gently caress out it at every step.

Mr. Civilised
Nov 14, 2006
'A touch of class'
Perennially late to the party heresy I've just started an Edge Lord army thanks mostly to Killer_Bees! and his excellent blog, great job dude, I will absolutely be stealing every idea of yours that's not nailed down.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Wonder what the traitor equivalent of the Talons will/could be. Can't really think of anything that wouldn't just fall into the normal human armies.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Mango Polo posted:

Wonder what the traitor equivalent of the Talons will/could be. Can't really think of anything that wouldn't just fall into the normal human armies.

Daemons. And/or daemon-possessed similar to Gal Vorbak like the Luperci, Vakrah Jal, etc. Maybe envoys directly from Horus and/or the Dark Mechanicum. Maybe more legendary daemons in the vein of Samus.

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING
Anyone have any firsthand experience with the dark compliance list? On paper there seems to be some pretty silly things you can do. Ogryn in a dreadclaw, disposable superheavies, cheap troop tax, etc.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Oh that could be pretty cool. Hopefully as part of Inferno we finally get a Tzeentch daemon prince of the ruinstorm and then we'll just need Slaanesh to have the band ready for touring.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I know that Chymeriea Blackshields can't take allies as a primary detachment but they can still be taken as allies, right? Now that I know there's rules for the Raven Guard's genetic experiments I'm kind of tempted to go that route. What are the thoughts on the Raven Guard's unique units? Are they worth their points? What about outriders? I really like the design of their bikes.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I know that Chymeriea Blackshields can't take allies as a primary detachment but they can still be taken as allies, right? Now that I know there's rules for the Raven Guard's genetic experiments I'm kind of tempted to go that route. What are the thoughts on the Raven Guard's unique units? Are they worth their points? What about outriders? I really like the design of their bikes.

The darkwing duckship is pretty great if you don't need the transport capacity you lose- a storm eagle is awesome to begin with and the raven guard version is crazy survivable. It's pretty sweet with terminators. Dark fury squads used to be extremely good relative to regular assault marines back when assault marines were horribly overcosted. They're still very solid though and the models are amazing. Just don't let them get all shot up, they are very much a glass cannon. More death squads are very solid as well, especially with sniper rifles.

As for bikes, bikes are awesome. They're pretty cheap if you stick with bolters, they're pretty durable, and they have awesome wargear options. Just try to avoid going nuts and taking a huge squad with plasma and a bunch of power weapons and a character and an apothecary and stuff- plasma bikes are still awesome, but don't sink all your points in them.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

tallkidwithglasses posted:

More death squads are very solid as well, especially with sniper rifles combi-flamers.
Sniper rifles are bad. However, being able to re-roll wounds with rending flamers for a turn is good.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Yeah, its hard to recommend a Mor Deythan squad when Seekers exist for fewer points. I'm sure there's a way to get them to be viable (perhaps the rending twin-linked flamer, but thats a very one-use thing), but as they are they are just too pricey.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Now that I know there's rules for the Raven Guard's genetic experiments I'm kind of tempted to go that route.

How did I not notice this before!? Too bad we're still playing the dropsite massacre, so thematically it wouldn't make sense to go Attack of the Clones on my enemies, but that is a wonderful idea for later missions that works so well with fluff.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Ghazk posted:

Anyone have any firsthand experience with the dark compliance list? On paper there seems to be some pretty silly things you can do. Ogryn in a dreadclaw, disposable superheavies, cheap troop tax, etc.

I run it almost exclusively, but I don't really do anything cheesy with it. Cheap troops are what make it great, along with taking Leman Russes as their AP3 pieplates eat tactical squads for breakfast.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Was handed my first loss in Horus Heresy today, Sons of Horus vs. Iron Warriors and Mechanicum. Made some play mistakes that cost me the game I think but also holy poo poo Scoria is a killing machine.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

panascope posted:

holy poo poo Scoria is a killing machine.

Were you surprised by this?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Had a fun game with my man Panascope. He took Horus so I took Scoria and we had a big gay time. Horus killed about 1/4 of my army and was scary as hell to go against meanwhile Panascope's flanking veterans with combi weapons + long march nuked another 1/3rd of my army. This was my second game running my leviathan. I took the flux bombard and, drat, that thing is scary. He ended up wadling across the map smashing stuff.

Didn't take my DSLR so only lovely phone pictures:

Horus and his boyfriends come down turn 2 and surround the IW deployment zone. I'm all castled up and my vindicators explode in short order

I maned up and charged with everything I had

Over the course of 4 turns it came down to this. I got lucky and regened 2 of Scoria's lost wounds, taking him back up to 5. Horus took a wound in the first round from one of my basic tactical bitches and from a few other random guys during the 4 turns. Panascope only regened one and in the last round of combat missed all 3 of his saves. Horus was still a beef cake and even though Panascope lost most of his army it was a pretty close game. I think the final score was 11 vs 13 or something.

Hixson was there watching us play. The game was so exciting he even fell asleep.

e: I really need to stop modeling and get my poo poo painted

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Any tips on outfitting AL veteran squads? I'm tempted to scatter some heavy weapons in my two squads, but at the same time I feel like that might be a trap. I'd magnetise but :effort:

So far at my disposal I know I'll have 3 rhinos, the Calth contemptor, and two tactical support squads with 10 plasma guns and 10 volkite calivers.

I have 40 bodies to work with so I was thinking two veterans squads, and maybe a squad of 10 headhunters? Or ditch the headhunters and have a twenty-man tactical?

List building is hard when it's not Tau. :saddowns:

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Headhunters aren't really worth the points. There's not a lot they can do that Seekers can do for cheaper. Go for the 20 man tactical or Seekers/Veterans.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

But their models are so cool :negative:

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
They make awesome vets though.

Shazaminator
Oct 11, 2007
The power of Shazam compels you!
So what's the deal with Custodes? The 40K rules have them able to mix and match swords and spears, with one standard to a squad, while the white dwarf Heresy rules have swords and spears in different squads, with no rules for using a standard.

Meanwhile all the photos of the miniatures for Burning of Prospero seem to be 2 swords, 2 spears and one standard. I'm guessing that the full list in the next book with have some kind of command squad option as a HQ so you can actually take a mixed squad like that in a Heresy game? Hard to say at this point, I guess.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Shazaminator posted:

So what's the deal with Custodes? The 40K rules have them able to mix and match swords and spears, with one standard to a squad, while the white dwarf Heresy rules have swords and spears in different squads, with no rules for using a standard.

Meanwhile all the photos of the miniatures for Burning of Prospero seem to be 2 swords, 2 spears and one standard. I'm guessing that the full list in the next book with have some kind of command squad option as a HQ so you can actually take a mixed squad like that in a Heresy game? Hard to say at this point, I guess.

Pretty much everything in 30k is a lot less flexible than their 40k equivalents; tacticals cant get any special or heavy weapons, weapon teams have to all take the same weapon. It's not surprising that they did the same thing for Custodes, the writers of the 30k rules prefer a unit to be entirely equipped with one item.

My guess would be that the standard will be some sort of HQ or Elite choice that wasn't shown in the leaked white dwarf pics. As for the models themselves, they are described on the website as coming with 5 guardian spears, 5 sentinel blades, 5 storm shields, 6 ceremonial daggers, and a custodes vexilla, so you'll be able to build them however you want.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Whoo picked up a Prospero box today :toot:

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011

ijyt posted:

"I'm Alpharius!"
"No, I'm Alpharius!"

Yeah, pick up Headhunters and use them as Vets. Their rules are very womp womp; power daggers are more useful for getting extra lightning claw/power fist/paragon blade attacks than actually stabbing dudes. As cool as combi-bolters are, the range is short (banestrike!) and losing Preferred Enemy really hurts them.

Vets and Tacs, on the other hand, are hot-rear end poo poo. Infiltrate your 20-man blob with Apothecary onto a midfield objective, back it up with some Vets. Speaking of Vets, sniping characters with missile launchers is a time-honored tradition of 30k. As long as your spring for the suspensor webs to keep them mobile, I've found heavy weapons in Vet squads to really increase their punch.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

ijyt posted:

Use them as Seekers.

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING

ijyt posted:

For perspective, one power dagger attack is worth approximately two close combat weapon attacks against T4 power armor. They're ok under Alpharius, but yeah, generally speaking, you're better off with seekers.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Thanks very much for the input guys, much appreciated.

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again
Crossposting my Oath pictures. Really enjoyed this one.

Galaspar posted:

And on his scenic base:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I grabbed my Prospero box over the weekend and started working on the Sisters first. It's a gorgeous kit, but I'm slightly disappointed in it. I can only speak for the sword variant as I went with that choice for all five models because it's the coolest one. That said, the models have no posing options and even the cloaks are tied to specific bodies. The cloaks are a bigger issue than the poses; it's just so obvious. Every five models will be an almost identical set. I'm guessing once we see the rules the swordswomen will be Elites so maybe it won't matter because there'll only be like 10-20 tops in an army. I also think this will be less of an issue with the bolters and flamers as there are only so many variants of "person holding gun" you can do. Again, it's a fantastic kit and it works as a set of five unique models. It'll only start to suffer when people make armies out of it.

None of this actually matters to me because I play Dork Angles and I they don't have friends. :reject: My Sisters and Custodes will never see a game.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Just got an advance email from FW to let me know about the Horus Weekender 2017. Would totally go again if my poo poo wasn't so scrambled :(

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Seattle goons, would there be interest in a day/night of gaming with Bulbasaur and I? We're talking about coordinating something later this month.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Come to copenhagen, then sure.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm also working on getting us a slack channel. This way all 30k goons can idle in a room together and make fart jokes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Well... theres #tinypewtermen on synirc