Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Wait, which was the first final fantasy to take place entirely in a desert? There were like two desert areas in XII and the rest was mines, manmade areas, jungles, etc.

I'm sure someone spent like 5 hours looking around the desert around Kaipo in FF4 and couldn't find the cave entrance. People post "I was a young dumb gamer and here's why" stories like that all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
the ogir yensa sandsea sucks hardcore

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

spotlessd posted:

This looks completely awful. :(

Its another soulless degenerate MMO. Please tell me at some point the series' trademark environmental and world design appears and this won't be the second Final Fantasy game to take place in a goddamn desert.

I feel like you and I watched different videos by clicking on the same link. What part of that was 'mmo'? There was a segment in the desert but even in the first hour there's a cave to explore, the desert-ish area has tons of life in it (trees, plants, animals) plus there's the gas station where you meet Bewbs, aka Cindy

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ImpAtom: Do you know if 2x treasure hunt mirajewels stack in their effect(more loot!)?

Nephzinho posted:

As much as I am enjoying WoFF, this game really needs a 3rd stack, no humans, and some challenge. Chapter 20 and I just realized I haven't actually used Champion summons or XL's yet.

Is online multiplayer any good? Haven't given it a shot yet.

Ya, it badly needs a hardmode and another party stack

spotlessd posted:

"Only half the game is garbage!" is the ringing endorsement I'm getting from the interviews and promotional material.

If you don't like what you saw, then don't play it :shrug:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Oct 29, 2016

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

spotlessd posted:

What the gently caress is your problem lol "oh my god we have no idea if its going to be good or bad so until then only unbridled optimism allowed in this thread thanks!" :byodood:

You're a loving idiot. Hope that helps.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
The Sandsea sections of XII aren't even that long

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

spotlessd posted:

"Only half the game is garbage!" is the ringing endorsement I'm getting from the interviews and promotional material.

If 10 mins is half of a $60 game then yeah it'll probably be poo poo.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

How long is WoFF? Apparently i'm nearing the end of the story, but interviews said it was a 100 hour game with the story, and i'm at a quarter of that. Is there an extensive post-game? I have no interest in getting platinum trophy of anything, but would like some challenging/more content.

Eh, even if this is over soon at least I have Pokemon coming soon.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Eh, The Order wasn't entirely poo poo...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nephzinho posted:

How long is WoFF? Apparently i'm nearing the end of the story, but interviews said it was a 100 hour game with the story, and i'm at a quarter of that. Is there an extensive post-game? I have no interest in getting platinum trophy of anything, but would like some challenging/more content.

Eh, even if this is over soon at least I have Pokemon coming soon.

RPG estimates always say like 1000 hours!!!

It's about 30 plus some post-game content. That said the game doesn't end when you probably think it does.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Eh, The Order wasn't entirely poo poo...

Ejecting smoothly from the PS4 is worth a few points.

spotlessd
Sep 8, 2016

by merry exmarx

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

"Half" according to the director, who's been saying the first 20 hours are open world and the last 20 are (supposedly) an actual Final Fantasy game.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

You're being a real idiot about this

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

spotlessd posted:

"Half" according to the director, who's been saying the first 20 hours are open world and the last 20 are (supposedly) an actual Final Fantasy game.

so the first half will be like lightning returns, and thus good, while the last half will be like ff13, and thus bad. got it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"Half the game is a traditional linear JRPG the second half is a more open-world experience where you are doing largely optional stuff" also describes FF6.

spotlessd
Sep 8, 2016

by merry exmarx

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I feel like you and I watched different videos by clicking on the same link. What part of that was 'mmo'? There was a segment in the desert but even in the first hour there's a cave to explore, the desert-ish area has tons of life in it (trees, plants, animals) plus there's the gas station where you meet Bewbs, aka Cindy

It looks like every other open world game--few interiors, lots of wasteland in between "points of interest" (what a word for these, incidentally), expansive terrain and miles of prefabs but few hand-crafted locales. And the cave is pretty bland and featureless even for being, you know, a cave. Compare to something like the Mythril Mine from FF7.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

spotlessd posted:

It looks like every other open world game--few interiors, lots of wasteland in between "points of interest" (what a word for these, incidentally), expansive terrain and miles of prefabs but few hand-crafted locales. And the cave is pretty bland and featureless even for being, you know, a cave. Compare to something like the Mythril Mine from FF7.

It's nice that you're taking a break from having awful political opinions to freak out about fifteen minutes of video game footage, but maybe dial the wild conclusions back a notch.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

i hope ff16 is all open world, like the best final fantasy, lightning returns

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"This game is largely empty except for a few points of interest" is literally every JRPG that isn't just a direct link between locations. That's what a world map is. If your complaint is that the game is using more realistic scale then it's a better idea to check and see how realistic that scale is.

spotlessd
Sep 8, 2016

by merry exmarx

Oxxidation posted:

It's nice that you're taking a break from having awful political opinions to freak out about fifteen minutes of video game footage, but maybe dial the wild conclusions back a notch.

Ah yes, I'm the one "freaking out" here. What does this have to do with anything?

spotlessd
Sep 8, 2016

by merry exmarx

ImpAtom posted:

"This game is largely empty except for a few points of interest" is literally every JRPG that isn't just a direct link between locations. That's what a world map is. If your complaint is that the game is using more realistic scale then it's a better idea to check and see how realistic that scale is.

Right, that is what a world map is. How would you feel about a PSX-era Final Fantasy in which half the game took place on the freakin' overworld map.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

bloodychill posted:

I'm sure someone spent like 5 hours looking around the desert around Kaipo in FF4 and couldn't find the cave entrance. People post "I was a young dumb gamer and here's why" stories like that all the time.
Fifteen minutes to get out of my house in Pokemon Blue. Including reading the manual in the hopes that it would tell me what doors looked like.

"it's a rug at the door" was not intuitive to me at age eight okay :(

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

i have a good friend who never found the wrench in bioshock. never, at all. he returned it

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

FFXV will be the worst final fantasy, and I will enjoy it

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ImpAtom posted:

"Half the game is a traditional linear JRPG the second half is a more open-world experience where you are doing largely optional stuff" also describes FF6.

And unlike FFVI, I will enjoy it this time

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Fifteen minutes to get out of my house in Pokemon Blue. Including reading the manual in the hopes that it would tell me what doors looked like.

"it's a rug at the door" was not intuitive to me at age eight okay :(

my dad had to figure it out for me, i spent like 5 minutes in frustration

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

spotlessd posted:

Right, that is what a world map is. How would you feel about a PSX-era Final Fantasy in which half the game took place on the freakin' overworld map.

Except "half the game takes place on the overworld map" isn't what ANYONE said. "Half the game is open world" is. That doesn't mean it's taking place on the map.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Captain Baal posted:

Dammmmmmmmmmmnnnnnnn boooiiiiiiiii

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin

Captain Baal posted:

"Hi guys, I'm loving retarded.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!"

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Goddammit spotlessd's stupidity is hurting my brain and I just played a few hours of Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 which is plenty stupid enough. I'm fairly sure he's just a lovely troll though, given that all of his complaints about what he's seen of Final Fantasy XV can apply to virtually every previous game in the series besides XIII.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
I think 15 looks dumb but I'm not going to write a dissertation about it, especially when it's not even out yet and I haven't played it.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
It's fine to say something looks not good to you, or even bad period, you just need to articulate it intelligently.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
Chiming in here: World of Final Fantasy is a good game, if a bit easy once you figure out that you can imprism certain unique mirages 30+ levels before you're supposed to.

Seriously, if you imprism Ifrit/Shiva/Ramuh/Princess Goblin/Undead Princess early on, the game is a cakewalk. Set ATB to active to bring the difficulty back up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm not super excited about FF15 but that may just be cynicism. I'll see how I feel once I got my hands on it. There have been several games I've liked once I played them that I was pretty meh about.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I'm super excite for FFXV to introduce more things to argue about and declare the worst.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Andrast posted:

It's playing the GBA version with the color correction and music restoration patches.

Are ROMs considered :filez:? Cause I've searched and searched for the US version required for these patches and just cannot find it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

bloodychill posted:

The only reason it took me like half an hour to actually find Kaipo is because I kept running into Sandipedes and when I was little I hated centipedes irl (i still do) and I thought they would be mega powerful (they aren't) so I didn't want to walk on any desert tiles.

Orgophlax posted:

Are ROMs considered :filez:? Cause I've searched and searched for the US version required for these patches and just cannot find it.

Pretty sure yeah. SE probably wouldn't be too happy about roms of games they have garbage versions of on Steam.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Oct 30, 2016

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Legin Noslen posted:

"Hi guys, I'm loving retarded.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!"

Nah for real though, VI is alright, but I don't care a lot for its second half.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
FF16 should have an overworld map that's open world that links to massive locations that are also entirely open world.

You stumble into a massive town and then when you enter each house they're all massive open-world mansions with thousands of rooms (each of which is open-world).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I hope FF16 is a first person vr remake of FF8