Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I know this is a reference to Bush's attacks on Kerry's war service but I never fully understood what the term "swift boating" means. Can someone explain?
They got some guys who had some tenuous connection to John Kerry's war heroism to talk poo poo about him because being a veteran only counts when you're also a Republican. I don't think there has been much of this on Hillary specifically but an example of a similar tactic might be if you had people who knew Bernie Sanders in the 70s coming out and saying "Oh yeah he's a maniac and one time he said "gently caress America""

And then you get a shitload of ads with some dude saying "Bernie Sanders said "gently caress America""

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

AdmiralViscen posted:

Trump took the lead in July the last time this happened

Maybe they can do another DNC next week to fix it again

You are unbelievably stupid if you think that the situation today, 10 days out from election, is the same as it was in July in the aftermath of the RNC. That's utterly disingenuous in every way.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

AdmiralViscen posted:

This email poo poo isn't really going away. You need to read three paragraphs into an article about it to even get a hint of how its bullshit. Even friendly articles have scary headlines.

This is true but you can't get this thread to acknowledge it. Any news that isn't good for Hillary is aggressively batted down.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Tender Bender posted:

It's remarkable how clearly this highlights how shallow so many people are. This isn't even a story. "Someone sent emails, possibly related to Hillary." That's the meat of the story. And it's being treated like investigators are closing in on her or something.
Whoa there hombre, this sounds like you might be suggesting that Jim Comey maybe did something wrong! That means you're going to get lol'd at!

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

If the email bullshit from Friday was all it took to sink Clinton, despite her substantial lead, then she had already lost years ago since the GOP could just release some fraudulent statement saying they were reopening investigations or whatever, get the press to run with it for a few days while also saying that it has no merit and there's really nothing she could do to stop it. If that was the case there was no point hoping that Trump wasn't going to win this since it was inevitable.

Have some faith in the electorate.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Ogmius815 posted:

This is true but you can't get this thread to acknowledge it. Any news that isn't good for Hillary is aggressively batted down.
I acknowledge your words.

I disagree with your implicit conclusion.

The gently caress do you want, editorial override on everyone's posting?

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Does someone have proof of this, transcript, video or otherwise? I don't doubt it for a second, I just want to bask in the insanity of it.
It's somewhere in the video of his rally in Phoenix tonight. He was doing one of his rants on the evils of Hillary Clinton, where he just blurts out everything he can think of in a disjointed ramble. This time in the middle he threw out something like 'And the Cattle Futures! Everyone remembers that, right? The Cattle Futures! So bad! and upstate New York! A disaster!'

Should be up on Youtube if you want to subject yourself to it.

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nessus posted:

I acknowledge your words.

I disagree with your implicit conclusion.

The gently caress do you want, editorial override on everyone's posting?

I...yes. Give me that.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I know this is a reference to Bush's attacks on Kerry's war service but I never fully understood what the term "swift boating" means. Can someone explain?

IIRC, it's used to denote a particularly egregious, intellectually dishonest attack on an opponent's character that is something of which the attacker's side is far more guilty. Kerry served in Vietnam, Bush never did.

Republicans attacking Hillary over emails while pretending the Bush administration didn't delete thousands of their own. Debt scolds putting 200-2008 into the Memory Hole and then scream about Obama's stimulus, etc.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I don't know what was on CBS, but they apparently have to go to a notary to absentee vote

No.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Neeksy posted:

IIRC, it's used to denote a particularly egregious, intellectually dishonest attack on an opponent's character that is something of which the attacker's side is far more guilty. Kerry served in Vietnam, Bush never did.

Republicans attacking Hillary over emails while pretending the Bush administration didn't delete thousands of their own. Debt scolds putting 200-2008 into the Memory Hole and then scream about Obama's stimulus, etc.

A particular element of swiftboating is that it is done by 3rd parties so the campaign can keep its hands clean.

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
What exactly was Hillary doing while Trump fighting his own personal Vietnam? Not fighting a Vietnam, that's what.

:sad:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

And Hilldawg was telling people not to protest Vietnam! :mad:

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

You are unbelievably stupid if you think that the situation today, 10 days out from election, is the same as it was in July in the aftermath of the RNC. That's utterly disingenuous in every way.

I'm not saying she's going to lose. But a lot of these Senate races are 1-2 point gaps. It doesn't take a lot to make some big problems here and my Hillary friendly Facebook feed isn't looking so hot today.

There is no DNC or debate for Hillary to get a platform to clearly explain herself, and the best she can say is "Comey please release them" which sounds pretty weak. The media wants a horse race and isn't going to pump people with her view on this non-story.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

bitter nevertrump has-beens who lay everything he and his supporters do at the feet of The Left are so pathetic

https://twitter.com/davidfrum/status/792518550757908480
(this in response to footage of a deplorable chanting JEW-S-A at the media pen)

at least rick wilson and the mcmullin crew don't go to bat for the deplorables

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

AdmiralViscen posted:

I'm not saying she's going to lose. But a lot of these Senate races are 1-2 point gaps. It doesn't take a lot to make some big problems here and my Hillary friendly Facebook feed isn't looking so hot today.
So go make some phone calls. I suspect this is going to impact Hillary's lead but I also figured she had a few points of cushion from the disproportionate GOTV efforts. That isn't going to just evaporate because "EMAILS!!!!! n/t" got released by the FBI director.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Ok but we still all agree that Anthony "Dickileaks" Weiner only has days to live, right?

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Radish posted:

Lmao

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

smg77 posted:

Ok but we still all agree that Anthony "Dickileaks" Weiner only has days to live, right?
I dunno, he's living proof that Hillary's death squads don't actually exist, which is the exact cover they need to do their bloody work.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Nessus posted:

So go make some phone calls. I suspect this is going to impact Hillary's lead but I also figured she had a few points of cushion from the disproportionate GOTV efforts. That isn't going to just evaporate because "EMAILS!!!!! n/t" got released by the FBI director.

I was already signed up to phone bank.

Why are you guys calling me stupid and saying poo poo like this? It's a credible point of discussion.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Luigi Thirty posted:

And Hilldawg was telling people not to protest Vietnam! :mad:

Uhh, Hillary was pretty involved in Vietnam war protests.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

AdmiralViscen posted:

I was already signed up to phone bank.

Why are you guys calling me stupid and saying poo poo like this? It's a credible point of discussion.
It's more like... "OK, so now what."

These things get brought up like they Need To Get Acknowledged By The USPOL Thread, but it's like, alright: this is an event that occured, and it isn't even contested that it does Hillary no favors, save through perhaps possible (but not probable) judo like making it look like Comey is an rear end in a top hat. We could discuss how much of an impact it would make, but it seems instead it gets hung up on "you need to acknowledge this".

Acknowledge it in what sense? It's an event, it happened. I don't think it's going to make a big impact. If it had happened NEXT Friday it might have made a significant ding; as it is, it is going to get at least partially washed out since it has essentially no substance to it. I suppose that you disagree but can you articulate what the impact you think it will have, is?

Like the discussion seems to be "This happened." "Yes, it occurred." What's the next step? For instance you think it's going to have a substantial impact on marginal Senate races. I don't think it will, although I imagine it will blunt some of Hillary's GOTV advantage in some areas.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Oct 30, 2016

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Bip Roberts posted:

Uhh, Hillary was pretty involved in Vietnam war protests.

There was some unattributed quote on twitter a few days ago about her telling people not to embarrass Wellesley by protesting or something.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

MIGF you coward, post your thoughts in the thread in front of God and Lowtax instead of PMing me poo poo about how Watergate made it so Democrats can't be pro-war and anti-bank any more. For someone complaining about Democrats being "pussies" you sure seem to act like one yourself.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Luigi Thirty posted:

There was some unattributed quote on twitter a few days ago about her telling people not to embarrass Wellesley by protesting or something.

Oh, okay...

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

florida numbers still don't look very good compared to 2012 (obama got 53% of early/absentee vote iirc) but former obama people said that she was doing well for the fact that early voting started on a weekday, so monday morning will probably be a better time to tell how dems are doing there

In 2010, after Florida elected the Platonic Ideal of a Serial Killer's Photo as Governor Early Voting was cut down from 14 days(including 2 Sundays) to 8 days(and preventing any voting on the Sunday before the Election). This of course caused a giant mess and made the state look loving idiotic when nobody knew who won the election for days. As a result the Legislature and the Governor were forced to up the number of Early Voting days. The minimum number of days allowed is now 8, with Supervisors of Elections being allowed to at their discretion add an additional 5 days to the start and add the Sunday before the Election, for up to 6 more days. This discrepancy in the length of Early Voting across the 3 elections makes comparing them slightly harder unless we wait until the Florida Secretary of State updates their voting tally on the night of Monday, November 7th.

However here are the comparisons as of right now. Keep in mind that Early Voting and Absentee Ballot returns haven't ended yet so the final numbers are going to be off. Also tomorrow is Souls to the Polls, which is the big Early Voting day for African American Churches to get out the vote.
code:
     Dem % Early Vote  Rep % Early Vote  Other % Early Vote   % In Person   % Absentee

2008     42.1               39.4              18.5                n/a          n/a
2012     42.9               39.1              18.0                54.0         46.0
2016     40.1               40.8              19.0                57.2         42.8
Democrats are only just behind their final tallies from the 2 previous elections and Republicans are just barely above theirs with 5-6 days of Early Voting left to do. There are currently 1,433,993 requested Absentee Ballots yet to be turned in. More people can request absentee ballots if they wish up to 3 days before the election.

Edit:
2008 total number of Early Votes: 4,565,021
2012 total number of Early Votes: 4,469,393
2014 total number of Early Votes: 3,258,034

Gyges fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Oct 30, 2016

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

Goatman Sacks posted:

holy poo poo it's cefte

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Nessus posted:

It's more like... "OK, so now what."

These things get brought up like they Need To Get Acknowledged By The USPOL Thread, but it's like, alright: this is an event that occured, and it isn't even contested that it does Hillary no favors, save through perhaps possible (but not probable) judo like making it look like Comey is an rear end in a top hat. We could discuss how much of an impact it would make, but it seems instead it gets hung up on "you need to acknowledge this".

Acknowledge it in what sense? It's an event, it happened. I don't think it's going to make a big impact. If it had happened NEXT Friday it might have made a significant ding; as it is, it is going to get at least partially washed out since it has essentially no substance to it. I suppose that you disagree but can you articulate what the impact you think it will have, is?

Like the discussion seems to be "This happened." "Yes, it occurred." What's the next step? For instance you think it's going to have a substantial impact on marginal Senate races. I don't think it will, although I imagine it will blunt some of Hillary's GOTV advantage in some areas.

Any piece of news posted anywhere can be summed up as "it happened what can we do about it?" The tone of this post sucks.

Bad news hurts turnout. This news is bad and is the only type of news that has been demonstrably proven to damage Hillary's standing. This news will be hard to put away since it is so open ended and they have to depend on the kindness of Comey to clear it up. Turnout is important, especially for marginal downticket races.

I didn't say that This Needs To Be Acknowledged, I made an observation and then I got dogpiled with ad hominems. I was literally trying to discuss the impact it would make, which you're saying is the point of this topic.

AdmiralViscen fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Oct 30, 2016

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Nessus posted:

Anyone who 'decides' not to turn out for Hillary because the emails came up again (with no new information, just got mentioned again) was never going to turn out for Hillary in the first place. Kind of like how 90% of 'Undecideds' are very obviously going to vote for one candidate or the other (or not vote at all), and are just looking for an excuse to justify a decision they've effectively already made.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

AdmiralViscen posted:

Any piece of news posted anywhere can be summed up as "it happened what can we do about it?" The tone of this post sucks.

Bad news hurts turnout. This news is bad and is the only type of news that has been demonstrably proven to damage Hillary's standing. This news will be hard to put away since it is so open ended and they have to depend on the kindness of Comey to clear it up. Turnout is important, especially for marginal downticket races.

I didn't say that This Needs To Be Acknowledged, I made an observation and then I got dogpiled with ad hominems.
Unfortunately enough we have had a ton of people who just sort of belly up and get all dismal about every negative piece of information; we even have this "arzying" term for it. So you probably are getting classed in with these folks even if that isn't your intent.

I don't think it's going to have a drastic impact, though I agree it will not be positive barring some comical last-hour bullshit from Comey like going on Limbaugh and saying "Well yes I wrote that because I was very concerned about the outcome of the Senate races."

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

climboutonalimb posted:

What is the cattle futures controversy?

Hillary bought some cattle futures that made money. That's it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Man is that ever a trip back in time, to when I thought EVE was a good game

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

duz posted:

Hillary bought some cattle futures that made money. That's it.
Man, between this and the news she's probably had sex with Bill Clinton, I don't know what to think any more.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Radish posted:

No.

(but yeah, if anything the fact that trumps losing and hurting the GOP should give us some faith)

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Nessus posted:

Man, between this and the news she's probably had sex with Bill Clinton, I don't know what to think any more.

That only happened once in 1979 and neither of them ever talk about it.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

climboutonalimb posted:

Hillary made a boatload of money in a really short period of time investing in cattle futures. GOP says this is a sign of corruption.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Relevant to this thread:

https://imgur.com/gallery/QlWAG

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

JosefStalinator posted:

Hillary made a boatload of money in a really short period of time investing in cattle futures. GOP says this is a sign of corruption.
How big of a boatload are we talking here? I'm just curious, the worst case here is "hillary did the exact same poo poo every other GOP official did, ever"

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

climboutonalimb posted:

Hillary Clinton heard there was a lot of money in cattle futures. She read up a shitload on it, then started gambling on it with extreme hedging (gaining/losing tens of thousands every day). When she found out she was pregnant with Chelsea, she decided to stop taking those risks, and cashed out quite a bit richer.

However she's a dumb woman so obviously she cheated to make that money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

In Vietnam Kerry was in charge of a PCF(Patrol Craft Fast) which was a boat with a shallow draft that allowed it to patrol the rivers and other such waterways of Vietnam. They are also called Swift Boats in general parlance.

While commanding his Swift Boat he received several medals including the Silver Star, Bronze Star, and 3 Purple Hearts. This made him a war hero and the Purple Hearts allowed him to be discharged. When he returned to the US he became a vocal anti-war advocate, at one point apparently throwing a way his medals.

In 2004 a PAC called Swift Boat Veterans For Truth was formed. They put out a bunch of attack ads supposedly from other veterans who served on Swift Boats and wanted to talk about how John Kerry was a coward and a piece of poo poo. This is where the myth of his Purple Hearts being for minor wounds which he cowardly used to get out of the war came from. It lead to the famous picture of the lady with the purple heart band-aid at the 2004 Republican National Convention.

After the Election Swift Boats Veterans For Truth transitioned in the popular culture from the name of a PAC to a verb that described their actions. Thus swiftboating.

A PCF:

• Locked thread