Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Mocking Bird posted:

I'm more referring to your posting about men being in a constant state of oppressing/victimizing women. It's based in reality but then veers off into weird tumblr land. It's a downer even in a downer thread.

I don't think they all do (#NotAllMen), I stand by a lot of men in my life who don't and I'm ferociously loyal to them. But I didn't date my ornithology professor :shrug:. I've had a lot of poo poo experiences too, and I'd say none of them compare to the average story in here. In the last version I complained about an ex-GF who used cocaine and that sucked too, just most of my relationships with women were boring, but there's plenty of nuts all around the block. But this is a thread for relationships sucking.

e: Like seriously, who doesn't have plat? Just put me on ignore, it doesn't bother me.

Pick fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Oct 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

ikanreed posted:

Keep an eye out to what end? "Hey look kids, douchebags!"
Probably to diffuse the situation and to attempt to explain the caregiver that Gluten, or whatever vaccine/false poo poo, has no link to autism. That autism can't be "cured" because it's how a person works.
The 28 y/o man Pick post was excellent and one of the best posts Pick has made in this thread. It still amuses me because it accurately describes a whole lot of people in r/relationships, man and woman alike.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
The thread's going to get closed if y'all don't knock this off.

Have a terrible husband!

Husband [26m] is upset with me [23f] because of all the "unnecessary" attention I give to our babies [8 month old trips]? Trying to understand him...

quote:

My husband and I have three children, 2 girls and a boy. They're triplets, all 8 months old. I am a stay at home mom, and he works full time.

I would be lying if I said they aren't everything to me now, despite being an unplanned pregnancy. My husband is still a major priority in my life however, and we still have time for things like sex and movie nights at times. Especially since I've had my children, I've tried to make sure I was showing my efforts to him that we would still have our own time.

However, that has still not stopped some of our problems we've been having about the kids. I am doing extended breastfeeding, letting them wean on their own time. Since there are three of them I usually feed two and bottle feed breast milk to the third. He is so obseesed with feeding them strictly solids, which I understand, but we had already talked about breastfeeding them until they were ready beforehand. He went and bought all this baby food and gets so upset whenever I start breastfeeding them (even though they do eat some solid foods and meals, its not just strictly breastmilk).

I put them down for bed around 8 (he gets off at 7) I usually feed them, attempt to read them all a story, and then give them all some sort of back rub/massage until they're all asleep. Sometimes it may take a little longer if one of them is fussy. We still have some time to ourselves when I'm finally back in the bedroom, but for some reason he doesn't like when I "keep him waiting" for too long? He wants me to just put them in their cribs and let them cry themselves to sleep, which I told him I would never do.

Yesterday was the last straw for us. They had kept on waking up in the middle of the night crying, I had no idea what was wrong, so I just held them for a while until they went back to sleep, and ended up falling asleep in the room with them. When we woke up, I started breastfeeding them, and not long after my husband walked in. Long story short, he thinks I'm spoiling them, that I'm too attached, that I'm giving them way too much attention than necessary. I told him to get the hell over it, and that he's crazy if he thinks I would ever put his needs above theirs. I realize that was harsh. I was just upset, I didn't know why he started going off for.

I know the stress of theee babies is probably getting to us, and we're both just tired, but the arguments are really starting to get old. He always seemed to avoid the kids a little, but I don't want to assume it's from jealousy.
I guess I just need some second opinions, on what I could do differently with us.

tl;dr: Babies are starting to cause husband and I to have more arguments, don't know how to fix what I said yesterday morning.

"Feeding our babies? YOU'LL SPOIL THEM"

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

The moral of the story is to never try to impress nerdy guys - you'll eventually be disappointed

also, all these comic book movies have infantalised today's adolescents :colbert:

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Pick is a goddamn saint and I'm sorry if she sounds like a "downer." Maybe men should stop being garbage.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Pick posted:

I just have no patience for that complaint because if you read my posts in this thread they don't support your argument that I hate all men, considering it's almost all "you have to give people a chance" and "dick size isn't important." Like it's cool to imagine manhater Pick but I wouldn't have had the experiences of all these bad dates if I weren't giving a lot of people a fair shake. But that comes with the fact that a lot of times it didn't go well. I mean you've obviously made a trap, where it's wrong if you don't give people a chance, but if they do and it goes poorly you aren't allowed to discuss it if it conflicts with some rando's views? Give me a break.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

look guys i specifically said dont start a derail yall should shut the gently caress up and not get the best thread in gbs closed

content: the most petty couple ever

My [25M] GF [25F] constantly tells me that she's going to do things we both know she isn't and can't understand why it frustrates me.Relationships

quote:

I've been living with my girlfriend Sophie now for just over a year, in a relationship for 2.5 and I'm getting so frustrated by the amount of things she's says she's going to do and then doesn't. To make matters worse, when I express my irritation about it she just responds with things like "I'm allowed to change my mind" or "it doesn't affect you?". She's right to an extent, of course she's allowed to change her mind but it's to the point where almost nothing she says actually happens and quite often it does affect me in some way.

Obviously I'm not going to go drudging up every single example of this behaviour but it happened twice in very quick succession last night so I'll share that and you can let me know your thoughts. Yesterday I worked an 8am - 6pm shift at work. I got home, we ate dinner and then got into an unrelated argument. The argument ended at around 8:45, she got into bed to sulk and I went on my PC to try and salvage some of my night. Pretty much of all my stuff is in our bedroom and I knew that if she was going to go to sleep I'd have to put my earphones in and be quiet for the rest of the night. I asked her "Are you going to sleep now?" She responded confidently "No" then proceeded to immediately fall asleep on her back loudly snoring until about 12am when I woke her up by getting ready for bed myself.
At this point I was pretty irritated and told her that she'd said she wasn't going to sleep to which she responded "I changed my mind and it's not like it affected you anyway". I told her what I just told you and we ended up getting into another argument which subsided at around 3am. I had to be up for work this morning at 9am and she didn't have to be at work until the afternoon. She informed me that she was setting her alarm for 6am so that she could get up early to do a bit of stationary work (She has a personalized stationary business on the side). I told her "You won't get up at 6am, all it will do is wake me up for no reason and then you'll wake me again when you get up a couple of hours later". She denied this possibility profusely telling me that she never has a problem getting up on a morning. I told her fine but that'd I'd be pretty irritated if her alarm ends up being pointless and waking me up for no reason.

Well guess what happened? Her alarm woke me up, she turned it off and woke me up again at 8am when she did get up without an alarm. I mentioned it to her when I woke up at 9 and she said "I don't even remember turning my alarm off". Well great, so exactly what I told her would happen happened and what she was so adamant would happen didn't happen. It's getting to the point where I don't even know why she says things. I know there's no way they're happening but when I say this to her she disagrees every single time and then when I'm right she's just annoyed at me for going on about it.

Finally, a slightly unrelated grievance that also happened this morning but it's to do with communication so I'll share that too. I really dislike it when people tell you something but withhold information for no reason. Sophie knows this but before she went out this morning she said, "I need to talk to you about something when you get back from work". Understandably I was curious and asked what it was about to which she replied "Oh it's not bad, we'll talk about it later I'm in a bit of a rush". I hate this so much, what is the point in even letting me know? I might as well have just been oblivious and she could have just started a conversation with me when she was actually free to talk about it. I messaged her when I got to work expressing how much I didn't appreciate it and she told me it was about me potentially helping her to set up a live stream... Could she not have spared 5 seconds to tell me that before she left and not just leave me wondering all day at work?
What do I do reddit? Am I overreacting here? Am I nit picking and I just need to get over it? I would very much appreciate your feedback here because I feel like I've tried everything. She knows her behaviour bothers me and why, but her communication skills haven't changed at all and she often just seems to completely not understand my problem.

tl;dr: My girlfriend constantly tells me she is going to do things that I know she isn't but is in complete denial about it. When I point out that yet again that she hasn't done it she gets annoyed at me for bringing it up because "She's allowed to change her mind and "it doesn't affect me". What do I do?

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Tolkien minority posted:

look guys i specifically said dont start a derail yall should shut the gently caress up and not get the best thread in gbs closed

content: the most petty couple ever

My [25M] GF [25F] constantly tells me that she's going to do things we both know she isn't and can't understand why it frustrates me.Relationships

She seems pretty good at flip flopping on issues and adamantly insisting it's not a big deal. She should consider becoming a politician and dumping the guy. I'd vote for her as well. Maybe not president. More like local city council or some other place she can wield vague amounts of power while being a flake.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

remigious posted:

Pick is a goddamn saint and I'm sorry if she sounds like a "downer." Maybe men should stop being garbage.

I happen to be male and by and large I agree with this and Pick. I'm sorry if some of the other dudes in this thread feel threatened and insulted by it. Maybe the admins can add a wordfilter to change "men" to "some men" so that no one has to get too offended. :shrug:

Now have a story with a crazy female writer to correct the imbalance of power between the sexes. :jerkbag:
My [24F] new boyfriend [39M] is friends with A LOT of "spam" girls on facebook....

quote:

throwaway because I am paranoid....

So I have been seeing this guy for about 3-4 months now. We immediately hit it off when we started dating. Both have a lot in common: career goals, sense of humor, and even some of the bad stuff too (traumatic childhoods). Because of my childhood and past relationships with men, I do hold a lot of reservations when it comes to seeing new men - I don't let my guard down too early or becoming trusting too quickly.

He's been engaged twice, and married once (he's almost 16 years older than myself), but that didn't bother me at all. As I usually date older guys and he was completely upfront about it,so I was not cautious about it at all.

So, the last couple of months have been going great - we've been getting to know each other, my friends all think we're a good fit, and he's even met some of my family when they we're visiting for a long weekend. As we've been sharing silly stories about ourselves, he mentioned once how he was "conned" on facebook by a girl he didn't know, but added anyway. Not quite a "catfishing" scenario - but how a fake profile hacked into his and it was quite embarrassing for him. Now, at first I brushed it off, but then I realized this had happened when he was in his last serious relationship, about 3 years ago...

That brings me to today, I haven't snooped on him before whatsoever. And to be fair, I got all this info from my own account (I didn't log into his or something ridiculous). I went to browse through his friends and immediately started noticing that he was friends with a bunch of girls (atleast 50-100) who clearly are accounts used to lure in guys (money for snapchat access, strippers promoting shows, etc).... Some of them just have one NSFW photo and are only friends with guys, I'm sure some of y'all know the type of profiles I am talking about...

My only possible excuse I could see for this is that he does work in the entertainment industry... but he also books bands for acoustic nights, classical venues.... not risque nightclubs or anything remotely of the sort. So, what's this guy's deal? I don't mean to offend... but how can someone even be so stupid to openly friend all these women that anyone could see?? It just looks bad and lonely.

TL;DR new boyfriend is friends with 50-100 "spam" girls on facebook, that are clearly only created to make money/promote themselves...

Edit
VVVV
Well that is unfortunate if it is the case. I mainly hang out in the football forum where we cheer for Ray Rice and Josh Brown all day, so I'm not accustomed to Pick's posting habits.

Go Hawks

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 29, 2016

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Chichevache posted:

I happen to be male and by and large I agree with this and Pick. I'm sorry if some of the other dudes in this thread feel threatened and insulted by it. Maybe the admins can add a wordfilter to change "men" to "some men" so that no one has to get too offended. :shrug:

Nobody is threatened by it.

EVERY post in EVERY thread picks posts in is the same.

You can be reading a thread on Pre revolution Russia and its relationship to western economics and she will post about some terrible relationship she had with a guy that once ate some Russian food.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

zakharov posted:

Husband [26m] is upset with me [23f] because of all the "unnecessary" attention I give to our babies [8 month old trips]? Trying to understand him...

"My husband knows absolutely nothing about kids and doesn't do any parenting whatsoever. How can I be more supportive of his decision to ignore and resent his children?"

Also re: Batman costume, I first met my now husband at a party and told him a drunken party lie because I thought it was hilarious at the time, and then kept it going for the next three years out of a combination of momentum and wondering how long I could sustain the fiction. I told him I couldn't successfully snap my fingers, and every time snapping one's fingers came up in conversation he would gently make fun of me and I would pretend not to be able to snap. Then one day I snapped my fingers at him and he was like "Have you been able to do that THIS WHOLE TIME?" and thought it was hilarious. By the time he found out I could snap my fingers he knew me well enough to know that a tiny meaningless lie was exactly the kind of thing I'd find weirdly hilarious, and also that I was a trustworthy person who wouldn't lie to him about important stuff. To this day that's the only lie I've ever told him. Well that's my story.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

504 posted:

Nobody is threatened by it.

EVERY post in EVERY thread picks posts in is the same.

You can be reading a thread on Pre revolution Russia and its relationship to western economics and she will post about some terrible relationship she had with a guy that once ate some Russian food.
[citation needed]

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

the thing with this thread is that it's meant to be about the weird/embarrassing/funny crap other people have posted in /r/relationships, not y'all's crap and associated derails. there's a place for that content, and it's probably e/n. and i say all this as a person with an active tumblr who unironically said 'heteronormative' this morning.

I [25/F] think my relationship of 3 years with my boyfriend [28/M] may have been built on a lie of him being 'catfishes'

quote:

Backstory: I met my boyfriend *Jack at work. We became friends and started talking. He had a girlfriend but he told me he was very unhappy with her. I remained friendly because I have been cheated on in the past and didn't want to be the 'other woman' so although I liked him I didn't talk to him in any way but a friend.

The story that Jack TOLD me about his past (e.g. I don't know how much is 100% true) : His girlfriend 'catfished' him before they met. He thought he was talking to a girl called "Amy" and that there were fake pics up on a Facebook profile and she talked to him all the time and he fell in love with this "Amy" person. He was in the army but used to send her gifts and stuff but never met her, she kept making excuses not to meet him. One time the real "Amy", Lucy even visited him to give him a present and she told Jack that she was "Amy's" cousin.

Then it came out that "Amy" was fake, apparantly she had also catfished another guy on his base with the same pics but slightly different stories. Jack told "Amy" to meet him or he'd stop talking to her. She agreed and he met the real "Amy" aka Lucy. He wasn't attracted to her like he was with "Amy" but he kind of felt sorry for her. It also coincided with Jack leaving the army so he could either move back to his hometown where he had nothing, or move in with Lucy. He chose to live with Lucy and they became a couple.
How we got together: Then he got a job a year or so later at the same place as me and we started talking. He told me he was leaving Lucy and I didn't believe it would happen (and I didn't pressure him or tell him to do it) but he did it so I offered him to sleep on my sofa until he got his own place. We ended up getting together (3 years ago now) and moved into a new place together.

Where it stands now: Last night I was on Facebook and I saw I had 2 mutual friends with someone, and both were profiles for Jack. One was his current Facebook profile, the other was his old one which we spoke on when we first met, and the one he deactivated shortly after we got together because it had old pics of his time with Lucy.
I went on his old profile wall to see his old pics of him in the army which he doesn't have on his new Facebook. I then ended up back at a time he was in the army and when he was talking to "Amy". He had a status saying "Had a lovely day at lunch with my beautiful girlfriend Amy."

This has got me questioning if he knew all along what this girl looked like. Or that he was lying in that status and he was Catfishing her too. I'm very confused and concerned, and I haven't brought it up yet with him yet because I don't know if I'll like what I hear. Of course, there could be a perfectly reasonable explanation, in which case I don't want to bring it up to him and make him upset over the memories. I also don't know why his old profile is suddenly reactivated so I'm a bit skeptical about that too.
I just want to get an outside perspective first and see if any of you could have any ideas why he could have said that he was with her in that Facebook status when he told me he didn't know who she really was? I am a bit skeptical of his story of being Catfished because I never understood why he chose to move in with the girl who lied to him.

EDIT: Just gone back on and re-read it... definitely reads as if he is saying he was with her in person:
"not a bad day when you meet your girlfriend for lunch, she takes you somewhere that is showing the [sports team game] so i can watch and then buy's me a load of food from [shop]......... i love you [Amy Surname] :) xxx" gently caress.

EDIT2: He's at work now but I've just said I noticed his old account was reactivated and he seemed confused and said 'oh yeah I was getting emails from Facebook that I was being tagged in photos so maybe that's why' which didn't really clear anything up because neither profiles have new tagged pics! He will be home within an hour, haven't decided if I'll bring it up tonight or not, yet.

tl;dr: My boyfriend told me he was catfished by his last girlfriend, but his old Facebook profile makes me believe he might not have been.

ex in question:

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Oct 29, 2016

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

request, can everybody who is currently derailing take a deep breath and consider whether the thing they're currently being pissy about is worth making GBS threads up a thread over

Just, like, use your judgment. I post way too much and I still manage to do it whenever someone in a thread says a thing that irks me a little.

Anyway have a genderswapped printer-carrier story

My [25/F] boyfriend [25/M] of two years has no idea his best friend [27/F] is in love with him.

quote:

We met while I was working overseas, dated long distance for a few months, and then he moved across the world to be with me. Since then we've been very happy together. An engagement is in the works. I'm not much of a wedding/marriage person but he is, so we will definitely be looking at rings and things very soon.

Anyway! We traveled back to England to visit his friends and family this past summer, and I got the chance to meet all of them properly. They're all wonderful. His parents, his brother, his former coworkers, his tight knit group of friends, and most notably, his childhood best friend, Grace. She grew up down the street from him, used to come over to play on the trampoline, and roomed with him in uni. I can't make this stuff up lol. Their friendship is like the perfect, storybook friendship you read about in books. She was very lovely to me when I met her, genuinely one of the nicest people I've ever met. Right away I could see how she and my boyfriend have stayed friends so long.

Then I began noticing things as most over-analytical girlfriends do. The way she looks at him from across the room, the way she hangs onto his every word no matter what nonsense he's saying, the way her face lights up when he suddenly talks to her, the way she talks to me almost too much and acts almost too nice, and the way she's always always the last one to arrive and the first one to leave as if trying to minimize the time spent in his presence.

Naturally, that's all rather circumstantial and easily explained as she was reuniting with a close friend for the first time in two years, so I did what any nosy SO would do, and I innocently asked my boyfriend's sister (with whom we were staying) what's up. Going by everything my boyfriend has told me about Grace and their friendship, I knew he would laugh and tell me there's no way Grace has a thing for him, so I had to ask someone else. A third party. The moment I uttered Grace's name, my boyfriend's sister knew exactly what I was hinting at and immediately validated my suspicions.

"Oh! Oh, my God, yes! The way she looks at him sometimes ... I love the girl but tone it down, babe!"

She said Grace has had an obvious crush on my boyfriend since they were in primary school, but has never said anything to him because he quite clearly doesn't feel that way about her. She also said Grace drunkenly admitted it to a few of the girls after my boyfriend moved to be with me. Grace didn't remember a thing the next morning, and so no one has ever said anything to her about it. She has apparently been dating quite a bit since he moved, so they figured it was best to let her handle it in her own way. They all think it's just a childhood crush that has resurfaced due to ... well, due to me being in the picture now, but it honestly sounds and looks more like love to me.

I don't mean to get all hokey but she literally looks at him the same way I do ... except I'm a little more discreet with my feelings because I was raised by a Scorpio.

Grace isn't a problem per se. Even if she does have feelings for him, she doesn't strike me as the type of person who would act on them. She's harmless ... but like, only in terms of mine and my boyfriend's relationship. If she really does have strong feelings for him, she's harming herself by pretending and playing nice and all of that. I've been in her shoes before. I had a massive crush on a friend of mine in university and things did not end well for us. I watched him get engaged to someone else, had a crazy, comical downward spiral between my third and fourth year, and was then forced to cut ties with every mutual friend I had with that guy in order to avoid him and his fiancee, and start fresh. I'm not saying Grace should cut ties, but like ... I don't know. I feel for her.

I also really want to ask my boyfriend what he thinks, but in a way that doesn't come off jealous, because I'm truly not jealous. I just want to open his eyes to the fact that his best friend has a huge rear end thing for him. The way he acts around her, he clearly has no idea, or at the very least, he thinks we're all wrong. In his defence, he's a little blind when it comes to women. He had no idea I was attracted to him, and I'm very obvious when I'm interested in someone. Like, unnecessary-arm-touching-and-prolonged-goodbyes-in-front-of-the-hotel-doors-and-when-can-I-see-you-again obvious. He's very slow to catch on, literally won't know unless you tell him, and also ... too nice for his own good. He casually mentioned that Grace said she couldn't make it to the welcome home party his friends threw for him when we came to visit, but he begged her to reschedule her made up plans and come anyway, which leads me to believe she was trying to minimize contact, but ultimately couldn't because it's hard to say no to someone you love.

What do I say? I want to talk about this for him and for me. If we're really going to be with each other, it's important we address these topics openly and honestly. Right? Oh, and it's worth mentioning that we'll be moving to England and staying there permanently within the next year. Also, should I bother at all? She really does seem harmless. I don't want to blow up their friendship if I don't have to.

TL;DR - Her name is Grace. They've been close friends since they were kids. It's obvious she has a thing for him, and his sister agrees. Apparently there was a drunken confession on a girls night out once, so I'm not totally insane. He has no idea. How do I broach the topic without coming off completely jealous? And also, should I bother at all? I know he doesn't have feelings for her and I trust him. Plus ... she really does seem harmless. I don't want to blow up their friendship if I don't have to.

r/relationships 3.0: I'm a little more discreet with my feelings because I was raised by a Scorpio.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Also I missed most of glutenchat but

Tolkien minority posted:

When I was a hormonal teenager my mom always insisted gluten caused my acne :smith:

she still insists its the cause of her athritis lol

i live in ma

:same: and one of the "someone"s from my original gluten post was my mom. I don't have the heart to tell her what I think of it.

Agentdark posted:

I work with children with autism, in training we were specifically told to keep an eye out for people who blamed gluten for autism. I thought it was a bizarre joke. Its not.

I thought this was hilarious, but for the record my wife is a school counselor and she says that gluten doesn't cause autism and going gluten-free won't cure autism, but people with autism often have digestive issues that going gluten-free genuinely helps with.

She thinks my mom is full of poo poo w/r/t her gluten-free thing too so I trust her on this :shrug:

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Oh that has to be the thread title

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

My[39m] wife[39f] threatened to divorce me because I helped my girlfriend[25f] build a computer

quote:

My wife and I have been married for fourteen years, and we have a twelve year old son together. One important thing before everyone calls me a cheater is that we have an open marriage.

I have never been a possessive lover, and don't have a lot of the fears and insecurities that a lot of men have so it has always been something that has worked for me. My wife, too used to be pretty onboard with this, but now things have changed.

Just for some perspective, my wife and I haven't always been open in our marriage. We only did so when our son got older and has been spending a lot more time at school activities and clubs. These days we still spend a fair bit of time with him, but he enjoys hanging out with his friends far more than spending time with us. And that is fine, he manages to still have good grades, plus it is nice for the both of us to have more free time.

So here is the situation atleast from what I know and my observations. My wife has more and more become a meaner person this is even before we became open. It really started with her insecurities about her body and getting older. While I have essentially welcomed the gray hairs, she has just not accepted time. This really led to her lashing out at me, at random instances because she is upset with something going on internally.

A simple example would be if I came home for lunch I sometimes have to go back to work quickly and can't wash them. She will come home and be furious about this. (this was not something that bugged her before). And will point it out, however if I was to point out a mistake she has made and yell at her for it (which I rarely have ever done) she would burst into tears.

It put some distance between us and when we opened up the marriage it really helped resolve a good bit. In that, guys finding her attractive made her feel prettier, and me, well I spent some more time outside of the house.

I ended up essentially dating this woman(25f) that I met off a dating site her name for this post we will call her Ashley. We have a fun relationship together, it is not just sex. We have little dates together, simple things we might go to a festival in the city together, might go to a new coffee shop, it is mainly her with the ideas and I come along, it is not a chore for me I enjoy it. My wife does not like Ashley, but she never says it outright instead will yell at me for something else.

Ashley has never threatened our marriage, or has asked me to leave my wife for her or anything like that. But my wife has just gotten angry, I think its because she is jealous of her looks.

Recently we got into a huge fight, first she has been upset that I went to a city festival without her, when she didn't express any interest in me taking her out there. And now, I was at her house the weekend that just happened, helping her build a computer.

My wife told me that she is done with me, and that she is on the edge of divorcing me. I got her to calm down, and eventually we made up. But right now, I am just sick of living on the edge like this. The difference between spending time with Ashley and then my wife just shows how much better my life could be. I am not a bad looking guy, I am nice to people, yet my wife treats me like garbage. My coworkers, friends, and my girlfriend, all think I am a good person and they are nice towards me.

At this point I don't even like coming to my own house. I have legitimately thought about divorce a lot now, and am considering doing so. But before that I wanted to post here to bounce my thoughts of with you guys. What do you all think? My post divorce happiness wouldn't be dependant on Ashley, I think at this point alone time is better than sharing that time with my wife.

tl;dr- My wife has become a mean spirited person, I am considering divorcing her, especially after seeing how much nicer my girlfriend is to me than my wife.

My wife for some reason doesn't seem happy that I'm dating a girl half her age. I have not a faintest idea why. What do? Halp!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

My[39m] wife[39f] threatened to divorce me because I helped my girlfriend[25f] build a computer

My wife for some reason doesn't seem happy that I'm dating a girl half her age. I have not a faintest idea why. What do? Halp!

She should try compersion

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

A rare gender reversed open marriage gone cuck story

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

flick my Mr. Bean posted:

A rare gender reversed open marriage gone cuck story

Yeah, sad almost. poo poo's over cause I doubt the wife will get un-upset about 25 yr old side chick. I'm guessing there were some issues with the openness of the relationship before this that dude decided to ignore cause he can get his piece.

edit:

loquacius posted:

She should try compersion

Looked this up. Makes me giggle almost as much as healsluts did.

Nancy fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Oct 30, 2016

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Jack Trades posted:

It was all fun and games when she was the one banging dudes, but he got a young, attractive, chill girlfriend and it went tits up. It really is the opposite of what usually happens.

I don't know why he didn't divorce her ages ago, long before the execution of the marriage that was opening it up, because she sounded miserable prior yet not ending the relationship and he seemed oblivious to it.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Oct 30, 2016

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

zakharov posted:

The thread's going to get closed if y'all don't knock this off.

Have a terrible husband!

"Feeding our babies? YOU'LL SPOIL THEM"

Yeah, I didn't think 8 months even counts as "extended breastfeeding". There's nothing at all weird about breastfeeding for year if you can manage it.

Melchiresa
Jun 21, 2006

Nice guy.
Tries hard.
Loves hot dogs The Game.
My [24F] boyfriend [26M] asked me to go to a wedding today for a barely friend of his instead of celebrating our 5 year anniversary.

quote:

I'm not sure if I'm overreacting but I find anniversaries very special and it was a shock to find out that he'd rather go to a wedding of someone he doesn't even hang out with. He and his friend David [2?M] don't speak regularly at all and it was seriously last minute of him to even ask if we wanted to attend. It was more of an after thought if anything. Our actual anniversary isn't until Monday but we've always celebrated on the closest weekend to account for any travelling we might do. Now, I think it's wonderful that he would like to support his "friend" because you only get married once but I think it was highly inconsiderate of him to spring it on me and imply that I shouldn't have an answer but okay. I don't know this friend personally, I've never met them or heard any personal stories from my BF about them. I find it quite strange that this person's wedding be more important than our anniversary. I was looking forward to spending some quality time with my SO but now I feel obligated to get dressed up and congratulate someone I don't even know on the day I thought we'd be celebrating each other. We would be attending this wedding instead of doing anything for our anniversary. There is not an option to do something another weekend because he said he is too busy and frankly does not want to do anything. What do I do? Should I accept what he wants to do and just go with it for the sake of being civil?

TL;DR I'm hurt that he'd like me to choose a last minute wedding invitation from someone he barely knows over our planned 5 year anniversary.

Later Edit posted:

EDIT: I did not include in my original post that we had plans already, plans that we made months in advance. He is cancelling everything the day of and I have spoken to him to say that I am very let down. He told me we would be doing this and not rescheduling anything for our anniversary. There isn't the option of going to the wedding and doing something next weekend like so many of you have "kindly" suggested. He got to make the reservations because of his work schedule but I was set to pay for everything but now he doesn't want to celebrate at all. I've suggested countless options and nothing is getting through to him.

OP goes on to say she hopes it's all "just a big misunderstanding." That poor, sweet summer child.

Big Black Brony
Jul 11, 2008

Congratulations on Graduation Shnookums.
Love, Mom & Dad

Jel Shaker posted:

Theres no way that other roommate didnt know baseball bat man wasnt mental

I always make note to know if someone has a baseball bat but doesnt have a baseball glove - potential red flags with that one

That's great, awesome loving advice. Bat with glove legit. No glove, that's a weapon.

Big Black Brony fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Oct 30, 2016

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Big Black Brony posted:

That's great, awesome loving advice. Bat with glove legit. No glove, that's a weapon.

Yeah, but is it really insane to have a weapon in your house? A lot of people keep guns for protection. What's so weird about having a bat in the home?

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
The kind of person whose weapon of choice is a baseball bat has a wide overlap with the kind of person who's just dying for a burglar to break in so they can beat them to a pulp.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Have any of these open relationships stories been open from start? Probably not but lol at people who try to do that instead of just breaking up god drat.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

quote:

UPDATE Me [30M] having issues with my wife [29F] been together for 10 years and have been married for 7 years. Is my marriage over?Updates
My wife couple months ago started hanging and partying with her younger employees and stays out til late and refuses to spend time with me and the kids citing that she needs to enjoy life and party and this is ruining our family and she refuses to seek help or get couples counselling.

Alot of you guys messaged me to to update you so here it goes.

I woke up around 11 AM today to find my wife missing. There was a note on her side of the bed that said that she had left early in the morning and that she will be back late Sunday night and that I should not wait for her. It really crushed me that she left earlier without saying a word and that I didn't even get to wish her a happy birthday. I tried my best to look normal and did my morning duties by making my kids some breakfast and spent some quality time playing with them. I called my wife later multiple times, but she kept ignoring my calls. 2 hours ago I got a call from a number that I did not recognize which ended up belonging to one of my wife's young female co-worker. She was very rude to me and said some horrible things like how i need to gently caress off and that i need to leave my wife alone and that i should let her enjoy her and and the co-worker's birthday party. I let her talk until it was my turn and she was very shocked to learn that me and my wife are not seperated like my wife originally told her young friends. She was even more shocked when i let her know how my wife cancelled our original plans for our wedding anniversary and her birthday party and how she instead decided to attend one of her co-worker birthday celebration. She then proceeded to tell me how she and others had no idea that my wife had cancelled such big plans. Me and my wife's co-worker talked for around 20 minutes where she told me how my wife has been talking poo poo about me to them for the past month and when I told her how my wife told me that me and our kids weren't even invited to this co-worker's party she then tells me that my wife told them another story today about how apparently she originally wanted to bring the kids with her but me being a piece of poo poo in her eyes refused to let her take them. Talking to her on the phone really loving hurt because because she dropped a bombshell on me by saying how my wife has been telling them how i have been turning our kids against her and because of that she has fallen out of love with me and the kids. This revelation really broke my heart. We have two beautiful kids, boy age 7 and a girl age 2. They have done nothing wrong to her yet she is hurting them for no reason. At this point i was loving done, i thanked my wife's friend and told her not to call me again which she understood and apologized to me for being a bitch earlier. It loving hurt real bad, i could understand my wife hating my loving guts but treating our children they way she is and ignoring them really saddens me. I just left my wife a message since she is a loving child and ignoring my calls to not bother coming back on Sunday and since she cares more about partying and spending time with her young friends instead of her family that she should just stay with them. So far my wife has not responded to my message. I will be going out with my kids and the in laws for dinner in an hour and will break the news to them about what transpired so far today. I am really thinking of getting a divorce as me and the kids are not happy and I will be asking my in laws for their input. This hurts really bad and I'm heartbroken. I have never cried so hard in my life as I did today. I am absolutely crushed.

TL;DR
Woke up to find that my wife had already left earlier without saying a single word instead leaving me a note. Later got a call from her young friend who revealed that my for the past month has done nothing but lie and talk poo poo abour me to them. I really loving crushed and thinkung of getting a divorce.
It's one giant wall of text on reddit too.

Dogfish posted:

The kind of person whose weapon of choice is a baseball bat has a wide overlap with the kind of person who's just dying for a burglar to break in so they can beat them to a pulp.
The positive is that it's not really a dangerous item to have laying around. Unless you store it up above your head or something, no one is going to accidentally hurt themselves with a baseball bat unless they are using it to beat the poo poo out of something. I don't own a baseball bat, but I wouldn't consider it a red flag.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Oct 30, 2016

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yeah, I didn't think 8 months even counts as "extended breastfeeding". There's nothing at all weird about breastfeeding for year if you can manage it.

It does sound like she isn't letting them learn to self-soothe, but I know that's particularly difficult with multiples.

Khorne posted:

Stop thinking and do it my dude. That lady is either a piece of poo poo or mental.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Dogfish posted:

I'd rather scare off a potential intruder with something that has less risk of accidentally killing them [than a firearm] but it's entirely possible that's just me. Really don't have any interest in it ever coming even remotely close to that. I seem to recall my wife being pretty happy that I kept a baseball bat around when her legitimately dangerous ex was threatening to break in/do violence on a relatively regular basis though.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Khorne posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. I assumed the OP was crazy after the first short sentence. Turns out his world just came crashing down. Hope he sticks with the divorce since it sounds like she's probably moving on as he wrote that.

Dogfish posted:

*everyone with a shotgun for self-defense/daughter's-boyfriend-intimidation nods their head in agreement, eyes downcast in self-reflection*

lemon-lyme disease posted:

I'd rather scare off a potential intruder with something that has less risk of accidentally killing them [than a firearm] but it's entirely possible that's just me. Really don't have any interest in it ever coming even remotely close to that. I seem to recall my wife being pretty happy that I kept a baseball bat around when her legitimately dangerous ex was threatening to break in/do violence on a relatively regular basis though.

So your wife has bad taste in men then.
Just kidding. You did the right thing. I support your choice of a club instead of a gun or an edged weapon. There is a reason they give police batons instead of switchblades.

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Oct 30, 2016

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

Chichevache posted:

*everyone with a shotgun for self-defense/daughter's-boyfriend-intimidation nods their head in agreement, eyes downcast in self-reflection*

I'm from Canada where people mostly want guns to shoot animals and also beer cans in the woods, so the idea of keeping a gun around in case you have to kill another human is really foreign to me. People who think it's a good or fun idea to intimidate their daughter's boyfriend in case he threatens her purity are disgusting, though.

lemon-lyme disease posted:

Guess you're not part of that wide overlap, then. Congratulations on being a good person! I hope your wife's scary ex isn't still threatening you guys.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Dogfish posted:

I'm from Canada where people mostly want guns to shoot animals and also beer cans in the woods, so the idea of keeping a gun around in case you have to kill another human is really foreign to me. People who think it's a good or fun idea to intimidate their daughter's boyfriend in case he threatens her purity are disgusting, though.

This has literally happened to me every time I have taken a girl out for the first time, except for one. The only time it didn't happen was with a girl who had no male family. :smith:

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

Chichevache posted:

This has literally happened to me every time I have taken a girl out for the first time, except for one. The only time it didn't happen was with a girl who had no male family. :smith:

That's horrifying! That must feel terrible, to have strangers treat you like a scary threat for no reason other than that you like their daughter. If my dad had ever threatened any of my dates I don't know whether I would be more mortified or furious.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Khorne posted:

This one is strange. That seems like the behavior of a drug addict or a teenager, not a 29 year old mother.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I gently caress all the daughters, dumb gun dad or not :grin:

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
What I've learned from this thread is that keeping a weapon around just in case is a normal thing for Americans so I retract my previous statement. In Canada I think it's much more of a red flag - I've never lived in a house with a weapon intended for use on humans (I'm not counting hunting rifles intended for acts of violence against Molson cans in the back acreage of your granddad's house) and neither has anybody I know, so it's much more indicative of a violent personality here I guess?

edit: I guess it's like flags. Here the only people who display the Canadian flag tend to be a little on the weird side unless the Olympics or the IIHF worlds are happening, but every time I go down to the States it's like the whole country is wallpapered in American flags. (Are you guys afraid you'll forget what country you're in?)

Dogfish fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Oct 30, 2016

a very large fish
Oct 18, 2012

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yeah, I didn't think 8 months even counts as "extended breastfeeding".

It absolutely doesn't. Honestly it sounds like she's right on the pediatrician suggested timeline of slowly introducing solids and subsidizing calories with breast feeding or formula.

That guy is throwing up so many red flags with that poo poo she should just get it out of the way and divorce him now since it's 100% going to happen. If this guy thinks 8 month olds require a lot of attention just wait until they start walking around and fighting each other and poo poo.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Dogfish posted:

edit: I guess it's like flags. Here the only people who display the Canadian flag tend to be a little on the weird side unless the Olympics or the IIHF worlds are happening, but every time I go down to the States it's like the whole country is wallpapered in American flags. (Are you guys afraid you'll forget what country you're in?)

I dunno, I spent the better part of two years hauling freight around western-central Canada, and I saw more goddamn maple leaf flags on everything than you can shake a stick at.

You might be right - since 9/11, politicians and Republicans have gone nuts with the loving things, but a lot of it is that a person is used to seeing their own flag and don't really notice it as much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
Oh yeah the prairies. I always forget about the prairies, which are so culturally dissimilar to the parts of Canada on either end that nothing I can say about the rest of Canada applies to them.

Maybe I'm just not noticing them, but I would bet good money that there isn't a single Canadian flag anywhere in my neighbourhood. I'll look out for them over the next couple days and see if I've just been ignoring them. But on the other hand I've had the experience a couple of times of passing a house with a Canadian flag out front and thinking, "Huh, that's weird. Wonder if it's an embassy or something." I would be weirded out if I went to someone's house and they had a flag outside.