Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I never liked the Voyager 2 seater sofa for the captain and first officer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Dirty posted:

Ugh. It's like they had absolutely no vision for how it should look. Nothing looks important, not even the people.
Much like the ENT-E itself it's all about taking the ENT-D design philosophies and streamlining them/making them "cool" for the hot new world of the mid-90s. In their defense it did work really well with the Refit/ENT-A in the TOS movies.

The_Doctor posted:

It gets cold and lonely in the Delta Quadrant.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

The_Doctor posted:

This and the gigantic conn are the only things ruining an otherwise decent bridge.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Why are there so many drat steps though?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

1. Use imgur like it's later than 2011.

2. Because in the 90s there was a lot of that design, I noticed. Ramps and poo poo were a late 80s design fad and the 90s were firmly firmly convinced that the 80s were a wasteland we were all glad to be rid of.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Voyager's bridge is too wide. If you can't fit everybody in the frame you done hosed up. Why does such a little rear end ship need such a huge bridge anyway? Who thought of this thing goddamnit

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Whoa, are people objecting to the command cuddle bench?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Whoa, are people objecting to the command cuddle bench?
That's what I'm saying.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I don't remember them even using that Engineering console on the bridge.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don't remember them even using that Engineering console on the bridge.

Every once in a while when they would bring Belanna to the bridge she'd be sitting there.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Steps on the bridge are a bit of health&safety nightmare, but you gotta give it some depth, just visually. Or elevate Sisko over everyone else on the Defiant. Hell, I always thought that they should've dropped Dax down into a bit of a pit so she'd stop blocking the viewscreen.

Can't really beat the TUC bridge for sheer class.

Although in terms of layout (certainly not in terms of colour, ugh) I always really liked the Prometheus bridge. Which I assume was a modified TUC bridge.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Baronjutter posted:

Why are there so many drat steps though?

I find it really interesting that someone in the show's design process decided to make the captain not the center of the bridge. I wonder if it was because they just didn't want a two seat, asymmetrical layout or if there was some other reason?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
It's because even though a woman is in charge she still has to have a man nearby am I right gene's ghost

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

D bridge will always be my favorite has a amazing profile and is easy to visualize in your head. I've seen every DS9 episode like 3 times and if you asked me to draw a picture of Ops I couldn't even come close.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

RE: the discussion of FC bridge and uniforms:

The thing is with First Contact is that all the design changes were made to fit the needs of telling that specific movie's story: gothic colors, sharp angles, nooks and crannies for action/drama shots, etc.

The bridge set doesn't make a lot of sense from a floorplan perspective, but really the point was to just be able to set up less cinematically boring shots than they could have with the old TNG set. (Directors like Nick Myer really hated the circular bridge concept because of how limiting it was from a composition standpoint.)

I think the whole aesthetic of FC works well for that film, but is awkward to look at when used in other stories like Insurrection or the TV shows.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

socialsecurity posted:

D bridge will always be my favorite has a amazing profile and is easy to visualize in your head.

As someone who got the chance to visit the D bridge in Vegas when I was 14, I can tell you that thing is awesome.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

i dont think humanity should rebuild after the nuclear war if our video games are just going to be occlus rift ones where you throw a pizza into a tornado

e: alright, The Game is one of the few that's just downright awful. With all the other bad ones, there's at least something amusing happening

PenguinKnight fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Oct 30, 2016

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Holodecks are the video games of the 24th century. Besides, the whole point of that episode was that the game was alien.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

PenguinKnight posted:

e: alright, The Game is one of the few that's just downright awful. With all the other bad ones, there's at least something amusing happening

Yeah, that's got to be at least fourth of fifth on the list of all time worst Braga conspiracy episodes

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

MikeJF posted:

Can't really beat the TUC bridge for sheer class.

Although in terms of layout (certainly not in terms of colour, ugh) I always really liked the Prometheus bridge. Which I assume was a modified TUC bridge.

Memory Alpha is a bit confusing on the topic. I'm pretty sure the base of the TUC bridge was the same set that had served as the original TOS bridge, but it also talks about how a bunch of it was severely hosed up when they briefly stored it outside:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

MikeJF posted:

I like the sofas around the edges of the conn/ops pit.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
The worst part of the entire Prometheus design is the ULTRA-BEIGE 3000 interior.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Basically the design for the bridges in Star Trek starting in TNG have always been terrible from a basic utility/tactical standpoint.

In TNG:

- Consoles and stuff on a ramp above the captain's area, where he can't see it. Ideally the captain should not be having to turn away from the action to give orders or see anything else. That's for everyone else to do. I acknowledge that the design is clever from a storytelling standpoint, because it makes the security officer look like the guy running the battle and having to keep poo poo serious, which is totally Worf.

- No seatbelts, even though as soon as the poo poo goes down everyone is loving flying around. This has always bothered me. There are no restraints or supports at all, anywhere.

- Extremely poor/no real options for getting around if the turbolifts go out.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

dont even fink about it posted:

- Consoles and stuff on a ramp above the captain's area, where he can't see it. Ideally the captain should not be having to turn away from the action to give orders or see anything else. That's for everyone else to do. I acknowledge that the design is clever from a storytelling standpoint, because it makes the security officer look like the guy running the battle and having to keep poo poo serious, which is totally Worf.

I think the original idea when they were sketching it out was that they'd have, like, an action area down in front of the captain, and then a kind of science/mission deck up behind that wouldn't ever be involved in action. But then they hosed it up by putting tactical up on the arch because it was too tempting to put stuff there.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The Enterprise, at least, was always designed as a kind of luxury liner with bigass guns, in and out of universe. It makes sense they'd get some alien artists to come up with some artsy poo poo instead of a more utilitarian design. The Defiant is made to be a warship from the ground up and much more practical.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

socialsecurity posted:

D bridge will always be my favorite has a amazing profile and is easy to visualize in your head. I've seen every DS9 episode like 3 times and if you asked me to draw a picture of Ops I couldn't even come close.

I can visualize the half where Sisko's office is, but I can't picture anything on the side opposite to it with the viewscreen. I think that might even be mostly empty space, but I'd have to go watch again to find out.

dont even fink about it posted:

- No seatbelts, even though as soon as the poo poo goes down everyone is loving flying around. This has always bothered me. There are no restraints or supports at all, anywhere.

The worst is the weapons console, where you have the security officer standing the entire time. A good enough impact should send Worf vaulting over the drat thing and landing directly on Picard's head.

I wonder if you could employ forcefields to keep people from being jostled out of place during an impact.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I get the idea that the Enterprise-D was designed by an extremely out-of-touch committee who envisioned a Starship for the New Age of Peace and Prosperity in the Galaxy - then they launched the thing and it turned out the galaxy was just as big and bad as it had been before. These Starfleet dupes are stuck on a giant Cruise Ship/Research Center (with weapons, I mean, just in case, because we have to). In the grand tradition of military personnel everywhere they're just trying to make A Great Idea On Paper work in the field.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nah. Everyone rags on the Galaxy-Class but they held up to Bad poo poo better than any other starfleet ship and they were always shown sedately cruising around shrugging off any attacks and just obliterating everything around them during the Dominion War fleet scenes.

Plus, I mean, their purpose was half to be a mobile Starbase, and they seemed to do a pretty decent job at that.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Oct 30, 2016

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Even the Defiants didn't have seatbelts, clearly they just live in a more evolved time free of the primitive constrictions of our laughable "safety" "precautions".

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

QuantaStarFire posted:

I can visualize the half where Sisko's office is, but I can't picture anything on the side opposite to it with the viewscreen. I think that might even be mostly empty space, but I'd have to go watch again to find out.

:sperg:

Directly under the viewscreen is a whole lotta nothin'. That's where that little recessed area is that you have to take the little ladder down like 2 meters to access, and there's like an isolinear panel or some poo poo in there. O'Brien is seen working down there a few times, and that's where Dax got her hand zapped by the forcefield in "Civil Defense".

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The thing I hate most about the Enterprise D is how there aren't any restricted areas. The ship is full of civilians and families and kids and any one of them can just wander into engineering whenever they feel like it. Or how about any Klingons or Ferengi or any other number of suspicious characters that they bring on board? Sure, whatever, they get free roam of Starfleet's flagship.

Starfleet security must be the worst loving job.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Fister Roboto posted:

The thing I hate most about the Enterprise D is how there aren't any restricted areas. The ship is full of civilians and families and kids and any one of them can just wander into engineering whenever they feel like it. Or how about any Klingons or Ferengi or any other number of suspicious characters that they bring on board? Sure, whatever, they get free roam of Starfleet's flagship.

Starfleet security must be the worst loving job.

Well, staying out of secure areas and not using the communications system to call the Captain is based on the honor system. Obviously spies and invaders are going to honor this gentlemen's agreement and not walk right into the computer core or something.

Oh, and I guess if you need a convenient way to commit suicide you can just go into the nacelle chamber and jump into the plasma field it generates and nobody will try and stop you; they'll just give you an odd expression and ask what you're doing.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

QuantaStarFire posted:

The worst is the weapons console, where you have the security officer standing the entire time. A good enough impact should send Worf vaulting over the drat thing and landing directly on Picard's head.

I never understood why there wasn't a seat there. All these standing consoles are terrible for people's backs.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

The_Doctor posted:

I never understood why there wasn't a seat there. All these standing consoles are terrible for people's backs.

In Generations Worf does finally get a chair. It looks much better.

Also, in countries that aren't the USA, supermarket cashiers get chairs and look much happier about it. But in the USA, if you work a low-level retail job we assume it's because you are a bad person, so you deserve to suffer by being on your feet all the time.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If you got time to lean, you got time to clean.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

But the ship cleans itself!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Pwnstar posted:

But the ship cleans itself!

I wonder if it's a fleet of Space Roombas running around or does the ship beam the dirt out?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Mister Kingdom posted:

I wonder if it's a fleet of Space Roombas running around or does the ship beam the dirt out?

Data vacuums during the night shift

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Cojawfee posted:

If you got time to lean, you got time to clean.

I'm getting Office Depot PTSD flashbacks now, thanks :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

Mister Kingdom posted:

Probably beams it right to the replicator tank.

Same with the toilets and the space morgue.