Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many states will legalize Cannabis in the 2016 election?
5+
View Results

• Locked thread
TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Has it been ages since either candidate said the slightest thing about weed, and both are almost identical with "not sure I like it but Laboratories of Democracy"? Or did I miss any key public statement? Kinda odd that weed initiatives are so big this year but the discourse seems largely local.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Neither candidate is big on individual liberty issues and state legislatures have been dragging their feet on this issue, probably because all of the lobbying money is on the wrong, losing side.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

And a cool million to the MA anti-legalization because of Dorchester nostalgia.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Am I just biased by the DC campaign, or do pro-weed sides usually trounce the opposition on fundraising? Is that partially due to small individual donors, or mostly small companies and angel investors looking to sell weed?

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Has it been ages since either candidate said the slightest thing about weed, and both are almost identical with "not sure I like it but Laboratories of Democracy"? Or did I miss any key public statement? Kinda odd that weed initiatives are so big this year but the discourse seems largely local.

There is a lot going on this year, but Donald Trump has sucked all the oxygen out of the room, which is a good metaphor for a dumpster fire.

I imagine that once the dust clears, we will realize how much else was going on legislatively this year.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
I don't think it'd be beneficial for either candidate to bring up legalization they both risk alienating a portion of their voters if they take strong stances either way, Clintons position (can't keep track of trumps) is the politically safe one.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

People said the same thing about Dems and gay marriage and that was definitely a more contentious issue. I think it could help Hillary with millenials to come out in support of it but it probably wouldn't make much of a difference either way and it's not exactly surprising that she's being cautious about it.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Let's be real, I'm sure her campaign has done a shitload of research and polling on voters attitudes towards diff. possible stances. (Along with every other stance she has)

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

hillary doesn't exactly lead issues from the front so i'm not surprised

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

A big part of why politicians (and especially the old guard like Hillary) are so far behind the general public on this issue is because most of them got into politics in a time when just about the worst thing you could be branded as was "soft on crime" and professing any position on drug reform left of "lock them up and throw away the key" was nothing short of career suicide.

It's only within the last decade that public attitudes have started to shift away from the crazed anti drug and anti crime hysteria that swept the country during the 80's and 90's under Reagan and Clinton. Until older voters warm up to the idea of reform you can expect the political class to shy away from it so as not to offend their most reliable of voting blocks.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Successful, established politicians also tend to themselves be from the generation that least approves of legalizing marijuana. Even Gary Johnson was opposed before he realized how great it was! There are of course exceptions--Barrack Obama definitely inhaled--but for the most part politicians are not privately champing at the bit for the opportunity to legalize weed.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

fat bossy gerbil posted:

Until older voters warm up to the idea of reform you can expect the political class to shy away from it so as not to offend their most reliable of voting blocks.

I think it might also be older voters cooling down. Way down.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Arizona with a promising 50-42-8 for mid-October, 700-some respondents. At this point are we looking at three solid and two soft?

No data since August for North Dakota medical, which was 47%, but Arkansas over 60%.

EDIT: Sept polling for AR has only 49-43-8 for the more popular legalization ballot (dispensaries only) and only 36% for the one that allows some people to grow at home.

TapTheForwardAssist has issued a correction as of 05:35 on Oct 22, 2016

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Arizona with a promising 50-42-8 for mid-October, 700-some respondents. At this point are we looking at three solid and two soft?

No data since August for North Dakota medical, which was 47%, but Arkansas over 60%.

EDIT: Sept polling for AR has only 49-43-8 for the more popular legalization ballot (dispensaries only) and only 36% for the one that allows some people to grow at home.

Five solid.

I don't quite believe it either, but there you go.

Chunky Salsa
Aug 31, 2016

"Isn't that right, Zach?"

I pop in here every once in a while to see if AZ has any new polls, so thanks!

Really kinda close for my tastes but honestly I thought it would have no chance this time around, so I'm kind of excited.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
How much do you think running up the margins for yes votes will change elected politicians views, especially what Hillary Clinton does with her new DOJ?

Like, with a plurality of votes, politicians can always treat it like it was just a coincidence. Above 50%, that is harder to do, and above 60%, they are looking at a broad mandate.

This is especially the case in California, because its such an influential state. The government can ignore what happens in Alaska, because its an addendum, but California means a lot. A large margin in California will probably change how people think about it.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

glowing-fish posted:

How much do you think running up the margins for yes votes will change elected politicians views, especially what Hillary Clinton does with her new DOJ?

Like, with a plurality of votes, politicians can always treat it like it was just a coincidence. Above 50%, that is harder to do, and above 60%, they are looking at a broad mandate.

This is especially the case in California, because its such an influential state. The government can ignore what happens in Alaska, because its an addendum, but California means a lot. A large margin in California will probably change how people think about it.

Things will be changed state by state, prohibition is too entrenched in the Federal Government in the form of the DEA, federal to local police money pipelines, and drug company regulatory capture. 50% of the country is under a medical regime and it polls at 80% favorability but both candidates say "leave it up to the states" and the FDA can't budge because of the circular logic of the schedule system. Eventually enough old people will die and even deep red law-and-order states like Texas and Oklahoma will get so much static from people even they will decriminalize and medicalize.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Don't forget, even Alaska has two senators; if we get all five states this fall, that'll be 18 senators repping states with legal weed.

Sure CO, WA, MA, and CA are D/D, but Nevada and Colorado are R/D on Senators, Maine is R/I, and Alaska and Arizona are straight red.

So if we get them all this year, that would (under *current* senators, some of which may change):

- 10 Dem senators
- 7 Rep senators
- 1 Independent senator

... all from states where weed is now legal, where weed is or will bring in millions for the state's economy. That's just one more reason why small states are still a win.

EDIT: for public opinion, Gallup is saying across the natojn 60% favor legal (80% for age 15-34), Pew says 57%: http://www.thecannabist.co/2016/10/19/marijuana-legalization-poll-gallup-2016/65663/

EDIT2: Holy crap, Utah's Dem candidate for governor had his wife get caught with 2 *pounds* of MMJ; wonder how that's coloring the race: http://www.thecannabist.co/2016/10/19/mike-weinholtz-utah-medical-marijuana/65602/

TapTheForwardAssist has issued a correction as of 03:39 on Oct 24, 2016

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Using the probabilities given by Predictwise here for each ballot initiative (except Arizona, for that state I used predictit) there's only a 31% chance all five states will legalize. Which is still pretty good all thing's considered, but a whiff somewhere is still highly likely. Not to harsh anybody's mellow or nothing, just don't go counting your buds before they're ripe!

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

are you assuming each vote is an independent event? i bet there's some correlation, although i don't know how you'd estimate it. nonetheless, wouldn't >0% correlation between the states' voting (obviously assuming polling predicts vote counts) raise the probability of them all going one way or the other?

but i'm just being pedantic. i'd put the chances of all five passing under 50% on a completely 'i pulled this number out of my rear end' basis

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Dmitri-9 posted:

Things will be changed state by state, prohibition is too entrenched in the Federal Government in the form of the DEA, federal to local police money pipelines, and drug company regulatory capture. 50% of the country is under a medical regime and it polls at 80% favorability but both candidates say "leave it up to the states" and the FDA can't budge because of the circular logic of the schedule system. Eventually enough old people will die and even deep red law-and-order states like Texas and Oklahoma will get so much static from people even they will decriminalize and medicalize.

There is also the fact that the US exerted significant diplomatic pressure for several decades to criminalize marijuana throughout the world. Legalizing marijuana at the federal level would require amending several treaties, which would be a long and complex process. Of course, we could just disregard the treaties, but that has consequences of its own.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
last nite I early voted Yes on MA-Q#4 and immediately swore an oath to fast on :420: until after 12/15/16 when the law takes effect...then set away my pipe like the Master Sword.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

live video of the T in boston after legalization

https://twitter.com/StuartLong81/status/791381865009668096

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Incidentally, the Boston herald is dumb and bad

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

This is supposed to be an anti-marijuana argument?

quote:

Along with Councilor Ayanna Pressley, Jackson sees in legalization a tremendous business opportunity for budding minority entrepeneurs. Forget about training in the trades or mentoring in financial services — just open a pot shop and your problems will be solved.

Oh dear God no fewer people in financial services? What on earth will we do?

I'm almost more disturbed that financial services was their go-to example of a job useful to society than I am by their awful anti-pot argument.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

This is some agonizingly stupid poo poo.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Slightly smarter take by the Globe

GonadTheBallbarian has issued a correction as of 15:16 on Oct 27, 2016

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

wrong link? and i thought the globe already came out against 4

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Whoops, fixed.

Eh, the Herald came out against question 4, so the Globe had to be for it sooner or later. I do like this most recent take on it though; I'm glad they're being more objective about it so I don't have to :unsmigghh:

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

very cool, and yeah it looks like it was just joan vennochi who came out against 4 not the entire editorial board

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Michigan was almost the 6th state to be voting to legalize in November, but their initiative got bumped on procedural grounds. Looks like MI and MPP are already eyeing 2018: http://hightimes.com/news/michigan-to-get-push-from-mpp-to-legalize-marijuana-in-2018/

In a few weeks I expect we'll be seeing a lot more about the 2018 battle plan, and/or RI and VT legislatively legalizing in 2017.

Malachy
Dec 20, 2013

Michigan was almost the 6th state to be voting to legalize in November, but their initiative got bumped on procedural grounds. Looks like MI and MPP are already eyeing 2018: http://hightimes.com/news/michigan-to-get-push-from-mpp-to-legalize-marijuana-in-2018/

In a few weeks I expect we'll be seeing a lot more about the 2018 battle plan, and/or RI and VT legislatively legalizing in 2017.

Fun fact: Our terrible governor and state house jammed a bill through to change the rules on ballot initiatives so he wouldn't get recalled which had the side effect of killing the proposal for recreational marijuana.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Malachy posted:

Fun fact: Our terrible governor and state house jammed a bill through to change the rules on ballot initiatives so he wouldn't get recalled which had the side effect of killing the proposal for recreational marijuana.

Sucks for anyone getting arrested in MI in the next two years, but silver linings is it helps concentrate ad funds for 2016 and gives a clear whammy for 2018 (provided they don't pull an Ohio).

News looks to be playing up that a quarter of the country could have legal weed in a couple weeks. Interesting to see too that multiple states will have a year-long gray area where you can have weed but there's no purely legal path to get it short of airborne seeds randomly landing in your window-box.

DC (which is barred by Congress from having weed stores) has had a number of extremely popular seed giveaways at local pubs, just ensuring that no donor is physically holding over 2oz of seeds as they parcel out to recipients. Anecdotally, some folks have encountered the awkward siatuation of having six productive plants per adult in their house, and no way to move their yield short of 100+ friends each walk out with a free 2oz to unload it.

KIND OF A KIM DEAL
Oct 28, 2016

by zen death robot
FYI Francis can barely keep his poo poo together after smoking half a bowl but loving Joey Santiago man oh man dude was friggin nuts back in the day let me tell you :420:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHC9HE7vazI

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I'm thinking VT and RI strong chances for 2017, and MI, WI, and maybe MD, DE, NJ, and NM for 2018. 2020 might just be ludicrous.

EDIT: NJ already saying "as soon as we get a new governor": https://www.google.com/amp/www.nj.com/articles/19510231/legalizing_pot_most_important_change_for_nj_econom.amp?client=safari

TapTheForwardAssist has issued a correction as of 06:15 on Oct 30, 2016

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Really interested to see what NH does given it'll be almost surrounded by legal weed in 2017 (Canada/ME/MA)

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

Really interested to see what NH does given it'll be almost surrounded by legal weed in 2017 (Canada/ME/MA)

Plus VT has been right on the edge for years.

I've noticed an increasing popularity of "let's just watch the other states for a few more years" as an anti- stalling tactic.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

is cali gonna legalize it

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

http://www.mercurynews.com/2016/10/27/are-californians-about-to-legalize-pot/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Double post, but new rear end in a top hat-puckering MA poll finds small lead

• Locked thread