Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Reborn was really good for Dota 2 but there are some strange performance issues cropping up now and I think Valve should probably fix those before doing anything of the sort of porting CSGO to Source 2

TSwift dont you go full JPJ Reborn-conspiratard on me here, those same adverts you complain about were in the original Dota 2 Client just as much as they are now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

3 1/2 hours behind schedule so they are playing 2 or 3 games together because it's 11:30pm there already, so bad.

H A T T A M
Apr 21, 2016

Venue conspiracy to sell more booze. The venue rigged the internet to make gross idle time for attendees.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

HATTAM posted:

Venue conspiracy to sell more booze. The venue rigged the internet to make gross idle time for attendees.

Machine just got told by production the c9/dig match isn't starting for awhile and he just gave this poo poo eating grin to YNK who looks so loving pissed off and ready to go to bed at this point.

https://clips.twitch.tv/proleaguecsgo/GrotesqueHummingbirdJonCarnage

Photex fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Oct 29, 2016

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
dear sa admins you have broken the page select thing me thinks

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Luna Was Here posted:

Reborn was really good for Dota 2 but there are some strange performance issues cropping up now and I think Valve should probably fix those before doing anything of the sort of porting CSGO to Source 2

TSwift dont you go full JPJ Reborn-conspiratard on me here, those same adverts you complain about were in the original Dota 2 Client just as much as they are now

i would hate to take this thread off-topic any further but your wrong and reborn really does suck, ive always felt this way

the old interface was 100x better in every way

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Stewie just hit the two most disgusting smoke shots I've seen in awhile, its put dig on tilt.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015
Is there any way to look up people's rank on community servers?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Photex posted:

Machine just got told by production the c9/dig match isn't starting for awhile and he just gave this poo poo eating grin to YNK who looks so loving pissed off and ready to go to bed at this point.

https://clips.twitch.tv/proleaguecsgo/GrotesqueHummingbirdJonCarnage

Machine being able to just grin and power his way through this cavalcade of bullshit is pretty goddamn remarkable.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Oh well, can't wait for E-League in December.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Fusion Restaurant posted:

Is there any way to look up people's rank on community servers?

I don't think so. If you're not sure just type "lol nt" whenever you win in 1v1 servers.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015
Placed silver 2 ! So lots of room to climb. In my last game I got a 1v5 UPS ace as the last person alive in the second round after we had just lost pistol. This mmr is weird.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

lmbo. brazilians are insulting and threatening chrisj on twitter now for saying playing in the toilet is not ideal

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

RyokoTK posted:

Machine being able to just grin and power his way through this cavalcade of bullshit is pretty goddamn remarkable.

He really makes these events. Wish we had him at Eleague instead of Richard "Assault and Battery" Lewis and Duncan "Smarmy gently caress" Shields

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

So who is going to get stabbed during their entrance?

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
Is anyone else seeing spooky ghosts all across the map?

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Nope, your CS:GO install is haunted. :ms:

Yes, it's for halloween

stump collector
May 28, 2007
they are the spirits of the players who did not lower their sens and lower it again

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
The crowd is insane at ESL, sounds like a football match

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

didn't expect optic to get dominated like they just did considering previously they've had a really good showing against c9.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Autimatic might just be the best North American player right now. :allears:

stump collector
May 28, 2007

symbolic posted:

Autimatic might just be the best North American player right now. :allears:

true

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

C9 with the addition of autimatic and yung stew went from one of my least favorite teams (because they were over hyped for so long) to one of my favorites. Stewie is just fun to watch. His movement is always so on point.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015
Any recommendations for really hard FFA DM servers?

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002
Is it true that ranking up slows down the more you play, because the game starts to assume they have you ranked correctly? It took me a long time to really get the rifle sprays in this game, but now that I got em I'm wrecking it at GN3. I'm on something like a 20-1-3 run while mostly top fragging, but I'm wondering if it might be better to just get a new account and hopefully get placed higher than to try to bring this account up.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
if you've won 20 of your last 24 you will rank up really soon, don't get a new account

yolandi
Jul 3, 2014

To the :c00l:
It's harder to rank up if you just play one map all the time like d2 versus playing all the maps in the pool.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

yolandi posted:

It's harder to rank up if you just play one map all the time like d2 versus playing all the maps in the pool.

Wait really? I'm definitely loving myself over then...

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

You should learn the maps while you're at the lower levels. This is why I don't play nuke now...

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

No you don't play nuke because it's a steaming pile of dogshit

yolandi
Jul 3, 2014

To the :c00l:

Fusion Restaurant posted:

Wait really? I'm definitely loving myself over then...

Yeah one of the valve devs said something about it on a reddit thread. They didn't go into details but it sounds like there's "pools" of xp. So if you only play d2, they can only rate relative to everyone who plays d2, and even if you are really good, theres a lot of people who are also really good at d2 so its tougher to be rated higher. But if say you are consistently pretty good at d2, cache, inferno, mirage, cobble etc there are less people who are also as good across the board, so you will be higher up. I guess thats why there are vertiglobals as well, cause not that many people play it seriously, so its easier to get into the top 1% of players. I'm not sure of course but that was the gist I got from their post.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015
Oh interesting. I haven't been able to actually play on anything but dust but I've added them to my rotation! Also up to silver III with a 50-10 game.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Never knew about that map thing, if it's true. It is true that rank volatility is higher with fewer games while it establishes your level.

So if you have 1000 games at GN3 with a 50% winrate, it will take a statistically significant run of wins or losses to rank up or down.

All you need to do is beat your average to go up, but it will be faster to rank up a new account if that one has a lot of games.

Fairly sure that once you start seriously winstreaking, you can go up from any rank quite fast though.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
Why are Machine, YNK, and Spunj trying to grow out pitiful pubestaches?

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Jeza posted:

Never knew about that map thing, if it's true. It is true that rank volatility is higher with fewer games while it establishes your level.

So if you have 1000 games at GN3 with a 50% winrate, it will take a statistically significant run of wins or losses to rank up or down.

All you need to do is beat your average to go up, but it will be faster to rank up a new account if that one has a lot of games.

Fairly sure that once you start seriously winstreaking, you can go up from any rank quite fast though.

Has this been proven? I'd be shocked if valve didn't just use your last n games, or weighed recent games more heavily.

Unless they are intentionally encouraging parole to spend money on smurf accts. Ugh

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

A TURGID FATSO posted:

Why are Machine, YNK, and Spunj trying to grow out pitiful pubestaches?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

giogadi posted:

Has this been proven? I'd be shocked if valve didn't just use your last n games, or weighed recent games more heavily.

Unless they are intentionally encouraging parole to spend money on smurf accts. Ugh

Unless they have made drastic behind the scenes changes, the system is still modeled on Glicko-2 which uses a rating deviation system. The more games you play at a relatively consistent level, the more your rating deviation decreases because the model gets more confident in the accuracy of your rating.

To "break" your rating deviation you'd need to consistently outperform or underperform your deviation, which will make the system reassess where exactly your rating might fall. Another possible way would be to play no games at all for the maximum amount of time before rank decay (maybe a partial reason why they introduced it) and then play. The less games you play, the less confidence the model has in your rating, so your deviation increases.

There's no way they are encouraging smurf accounts. For a start, this knowledge is pretty much unknown, and second, since there is almost no confirmed information, there's little point in trying to game the system. The best way to rank up remains playing well. If you believe you are better than your rank, but have stayed in the same rank for hundreds of games or something, you're probably actually in the right rank.

Once you start winstreaking, you can go up ranks in an extremely short space of time. Like a roulette wheel, if it's been red/black 50% of the time for 10,000 spins, but then starts hitting black 10, 15, 20 times in a row, then you lose confidence that it's still working correctly. A 20 winstreak when you've been consistently 50/50 is one in a million. Considering the ranking gaps, I'd say that assuming it didn't start with a lot of lost games, the maximum amount of wins to break out of any rank is no more than 10-12. But even if you don't winstreak, if you're winning more games than you lose, you'll rank up eventually.

Jeza fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Oct 30, 2016

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

C9 is looking extremely solid right now. I do think mouz has got to be tilted after how some of the things they've tried have gone south. Knife TK's, fumbling mollies, losing so many advantageous post plants...

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

quote:

HenryG and Sadokist will kiss live on air before the final.
:staredog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Vintage Ska :vince: