Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Ominous Jazz posted:

Dang, I would have liked to see that embiggened. Glad they got shut down though.
The guys on the reaper kickstarter forum informed Mirliton pretty much immediately. Those guys watch minis kickstarters like a hawk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

JackMann posted:

Unfortunately, it got shut down before I could share the drama, but this is kind of hilarious. You know that Demogorgon mini from Stranger Things? Someone Kickstarted a giant version. However, they did so without checking to see if anyone actually owned it. When told that Mirliton had the rights, they basically said that since they were just some company in Italy, the copyright couldn't possibly be valid, and they were in the clear.

Doesn't seem to have worked out for them.

Why the hell would they think Italians holding an American copyright was invalid, that's literally the dumbest thing I've ever heard in the business, and I've seen a lot of Kickstarters shut down over rights issues.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I vaguely recall something about Italian copyrights in this thread or the main Games KS thread, from a while back. I think it was a misunderstanding of distribution rights, though.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Fun copyright fact: Iran is the only country on Earth not signed up to all the international copyright treaties.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

New "Tiny Epic" game up on KS:
Tiny Epic Quest - Introducing ITEMeeples

I'm a fan of these small-box games that usually have a much larger than expected amount of depth to them. Gotta admit that equippable Meeple idea is pretty cool.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

potatocubed posted:

Fun copyright fact: Iran is the only country on Earth not signed up to all the international copyright treaties.

North Korea?

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Yeah, having done some research (after I posted, of course) I may have to walk back that statement and feel a bit stupid.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

JazzFlight posted:

New "Tiny Epic" game up on KS:
Tiny Epic Quest - Introducing ITEMeeples

I'm a fan of these small-box games that usually have a much larger than expected amount of depth to them. Gotta admit that equippable Meeple idea is pretty cool.

I bet there's going to be a lot of "backing for the minismeeples" on this one.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I always wind up super charmed by their kickstarters but never wind up backing them. I have picked up some print and plays in the past though, and especially find Tiny Epic Defenders is great for playing with kids. Very simple and cooperative is always nice.

This also looks really neat, but I'll probably wind up passing again. If you're a parent/weird uncle/teacher I think the tiny epic games are great to pick up.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

That looks super Zelda-inspired.
That company tends to run solid kickstarters, right? I remember seeing people discuss them a lot, but never really paid attention to their prior ones.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
I've played Galaxies and Western now. Both are pretty solid games. The former really impressed me. Westerns is really fidgety at first and isn't quite in the "easy to learn" space that they like to flag the line with, but once you get the hang of how it flows, it's alright. I just have a hard time thinking I'll get TEW out when I want a light worker placement game, compared to a variety of other options.

I need to watch the videos still for Quest. I do love the classic adventure video game feel, but Western has me a bit more apprehensive of getting more over-designed games in the line in the name of being "epic".

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

ElegantFugue posted:

That looks super Zelda-inspired.
That company tends to run solid kickstarters, right? I remember seeing people discuss them a lot, but never really paid attention to their prior ones.

Yeah, I've backed a bunch of their stuff, and it's always very well run. Good communication and turnaround time.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Evil Mastermind posted:

Yeah, I've backed a bunch of their stuff, and it's always very well run. Good communication and turnaround time.
Yeah, ditto. They are Kickstarter experts - probably among the most experienced and reliable TG kickstarter companies out there. They run great campaigns, they keep the enthusiasm level up, they deliver, and they have convinced me to buy several games I haven't played yet. :smith:

This one looks really cool, and I admit I am probably in for it, too.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I'm a huge snob about people buying games purely for the theme but gently caress it I insta-backed that. Too cute to not go in on it.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Level 99 Games said that they're going to be Kickstarting a Megaman Pixel Tactics soon. Looks like Robot Masters up to MM6.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

GrandpaPants posted:

Level 99 Games said that they're going to be Kickstarting a Megaman Pixel Tactics soon. Looks like Robot Masters up to MM6.

Auuugh, that's so evil. Well, unless the games or shipping cost a ton I'm probably getting this, so I'll have to decide what of the current projects I'm pledging for I'll be leaving.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

GrandpaPants posted:

Kiiiiiinda wish they'd picked a better game for that IP

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

Gonna be only the second Level99 project I haven't backed since I first heard about them. I'm interested but "about to buy a house" isn't a great time to be dropping cash on tabletop games.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

malkav11 posted:

Gonna be only the second Level99 project I haven't backed since I first heard about them. I'm interested but "about to buy a house" isn't a great time to be dropping cash on tabletop games.

Buy enough tabletop games and you can make a castle out of the boxes.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Man, I just remembered the time my DM let me enchant a Titanic Toad with a permanent Awaken spell, granting it human-scale intellect and speech. And Craft: Brewing.

Then one day we decided that Jeremiah wasn't just a toad, he was one of them psychotropic lickin' frogs.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Bieeardo posted:

Man, I just remembered the time my DM let me enchant a Titanic Toad with a permanent Awaken spell, granting it human-scale intellect and speech. And Craft: Brewing.

Then one day we decided that Jeremiah wasn't just a toad, he was one of them psychotropic lickin' frogs.

Jeremiah was a big frog
Was a good friend of mine
through magic we understood every word he said
and his beer was mighty fine

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
poo poo, I think I was aiming for another thread. Oh well!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

malkav11 posted:

I'm very jealous of your house prices being so low that a boardgame will tip the scales. :v:

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Lemon-Lime posted:

I'm very jealous of your house prices being so low that a boardgame will tip the scales. :v:

More like my cash on hand being so low that a boardgame worth might be an issue. Mortgage will take care of most of it, my family will loan me the down payment, but I still gotta worry about things like inspection fees and moving costs, probably.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

signalnoise posted:

Kiiiiiinda wish they'd picked a better game for that IP

If it was put in as a mini expansion for Millennium Blades it would rule, certainly.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

malkav11 posted:

More like my cash on hand being so low that a boardgame worth might be an issue. Mortgage will take care of most of it, my family will loan me the down payment, but I still gotta worry about things like inspection fees and moving costs, probably.

You probably can't borrow your down payment. At the very least, you have to disclose that your dp is borrowed, and this may mean a higher rate and/or PMI.

Come to the homebuying thread for details.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Oct 29, 2016

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

You probably can't borrow your down payment. At the very least, you have to disclose that your dp is borrowed, and this may mean a higher rate and/or PMI.

Come to the homebuying thread for details.

Yeah, I did disclose that because I figured it would be important. I have been preapproved for an FHA loan, and I think that type is okay with it. I'm sure there are downsides to doing it this way but it's that or wait years to build up enough savings and probably see significantly higher interest rates and home prices by the time I do. Anyway. This isn't the thread for it. But I appreciate the concern. :)

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

I just recently discovered Pixel Tactics and it's getting some fun play with my group, so I'm pretty stoked about this.

I hope we get Capcom BattleCon sets!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Argent The Consortium Mega Man Edition

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Are there enough "[type] Man" characters that they could do a Mega Man version of Sellswords? I'd be down for that.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Merauder posted:

Are there enough "[type] Man" characters that they could do a Mega Man version of Sellswords? I'd be down for that.

Well, there are 80 in the classic series alone (counting Time Man and Oil Man from Powered Up).

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

That Chtulhu Xenomorph game, Deep Madness, is certainly not shy about using near identical likenesses of famous characters. Take the "Quartermaster" for example:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

That's not the quartermaster, that's the gatekeeper!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Waffleman_ posted:

That's not the quartermaster, that's the gatekeeper!

There is no gatekeeper, only Zuul

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

IncredibleIgloo posted:

That Chtulhu Xenomorph game, Deep Madness, is certainly not shy about using near identical likenesses of famous characters. Take the "Quartermaster" for example:

That seems to be a thing a lot of these minis-heavy Kickstarters love doing.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Looking forward to seeing the new Pixel Tactics set, but I'm one of the few serious devotees of the game here. Hopefully it means in the future they'll be able to do something more elaborate like an Exceed set, but that'd take a lot more work. As it is, it's a much better use of the license than previous efforts, IMO.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
https://twitter.com/skittishgorgon/status/791733533085544448

Monsterhearts 2 is coming!

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I am totally down for this, but I thought she'd quit the industry. I guess, much like people who live in Topeka, none of us can escape.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
She quit but came back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in.