Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hexal
Sep 7, 2011
Hojo declares war on me. I beat him back, take all his luxuries and gold. But I give back the one city I took.

"-44 Your warmongering"

And even though I won Gorgo still yells at me for being a coward. :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008

Krazyface posted:

What are you doing? Starting new games? Picking your way through a single one? Do the crashes happen in loading, when you act, in the AI's turn?

I mean, I don't think that information will help people help you fix it, but it'll be interesting.

It's during the same session. It looks like my game is trying to select a unit different than what's already highlighted or in view and then shits itself. I notice it mostly with my Trader units. It'll highlight my Trader, freeze, and crash.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

hexal posted:

Hojo declares war on me. I beat him back, take all his luxuries and gold. But I give back the one city I took.

"-44 Your warmongering"

And even though I won Gorgo still yells at me for being a coward. :rolleyes:

Yeah I'm not sure the refunding warmonger penalties for returning cities works. Hojo declared on me, I took all but one of his cities, gave them all back except the one that was on my landmass, and had a -150 warmonger penalty with Hojo afterward that only slowly decayed.

As a side note, the Protectorate War says there are no warmonger penalties to liberate the city-state, but as far as I can tell the "no warmonger penalty" actually extends to everything, including capturing cities.

You'd really wish there wouldn't be all this misleading information in the game.

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler
Sorry to ask something that may have been discussed already but are there any succinct guides anywhere that detail how the mechanics of this game work for someone already familiar with Civilization V? When I look online, all I can find are guides for people new to the game and a list of changes from Civ V to Civ VI without explanations of how to use these new features.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Where do you see your nuclear device count and status? And which units can use them?

Nm found it, up on the resource listing. Derp

Jastiger fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Oct 30, 2016

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Magil Zeal posted:

As a side note, the Protectorate War says there are no warmonger penalties to liberate the city-state, but as far as I can tell the "no warmonger penalty" actually extends to everything, including capturing cities.

You'd really wish there wouldn't be all this misleading information in the game.

Well, that one's definitely a bug.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

At this point there are very few AI interactions that aren't bugs.

Stick to multiplayer unless you enjoy yanking your hair out.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Is there any way to mitigate war weariness from wars that are declared on you? It can kick on hard and fast and if the aggressors don't sue for peace there is nothing you can do. It sucks that your meticulously managed amenities situation is suddenly -5 net and spawning problems behind your lines of defense.

I feel like defensive war weariness needs to be smoothed; it makes sense thematically in that repelling a foreign horde can be a nationalizing force that creates cohesion and a sense of purpose.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

The Shortest Path posted:

At this point there are very few AI interactions that aren't bugs.

Stick to multiplayer unless you enjoy yanking your hair out.

I'm not really up for multiplayer at the moment, it always moves at too brisk a pace for me, I prefer to play my games slowly and deliberately. That's why I play turn-based games.

It has required me to treat the AI civs strictly as a resource to be exploited than any kind of meaningful partner. I've managed to get to the point where I can get some civs friendly to me, but even when they're "friendly" it seems entirely random to me as to whether or not they'll make a Declaration of Friendship.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I didn't know that the Space Race stuff was done in succession, rather than as parts produced like the previous ones, so my masterful plan to stock up on production, complete three spaceports simultaneously, and then take the game in one fell swoop was a lot less dramatic than I thought it would be.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I mean you totally can appeal to the ai with some effort, but it's not like it's actually that beneficial.

In my last Emperor game I was BFFs with Spain the whole game and they often gave me incredibly good trade deals (15-30 GPT for a resource for example) so it can be very handy to have at least one friend if at all possible.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Serrath posted:

Sorry to ask something that may have been discussed already but are there any succinct guides anywhere that detail how the mechanics of this game work for someone already familiar with Civilization V? When I look online, all I can find are guides for people new to the game and a list of changes from Civ V to Civ VI without explanations of how to use these new features.

The game's been out a week so you're not going to find any comprehensive strategy guides, and i would imagine people are reluctant to make them when there are so many exploits likely to be patched out in the next update.

If you mean a basic starting guide then try the tutorial first, or put the adviser on when playing a game.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I had the weirdest bug yesterday. I nuked a bunch of Mvemba's cities, and cpatured one that used to be a city state with a ship. When I selected the liberation option that turned it back to a city state, the game decided it would be a good idea to teleport my ship outside from the now sovereign city state... right into a different Kongolese city...

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Rexides posted:

I had the weirdest bug yesterday. I nuked a bunch of Mvemba's cities, and cpatured one that used to be a city state with a ship. When I selected the liberation option that turned it back to a city state, the game decided it would be a good idea to teleport my ship outside from the now sovereign city state... right into a different Kongolese city...

my biggest problem so far is, my great admirals keep spawning in a four-tile lake

i don't have a harbor on it

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Oct 30, 2016

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Rexides posted:

Imagine how terrified the Kongolese must have have been to have your warships teleporting into their cities.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
The first time I nuked someone, a couple of my units in his borders got pushed back into mine. They weren't in the blast radius or anything (though they were in the borders of the target city), and we didn't stop being at war (as we had been for many years), they just got displaced.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Now you have to rename that ship "USS Eldridge".

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

King is too easy, but Emperor gives the AI 2 settlers and 3 warriors to start. Since city states are pathetic, they almost always end up conquering the nearest city state before you can build your first settler (or archer-spam them yourselves). Meanwhile, barbarians start riding their horsemen and horse archers so if you have a start with poor production you may as well just give up.

I don't think this got much playtesting.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

eXXon posted:

Given how the diplomatic AI behaves it's hard to believe it got any playtesting at all. :psyduck:

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

eXXon posted:

King is too easy, but Emperor gives the AI 2 settlers and 3 warriors to start. Since city states are pathetic, they almost always end up conquering the nearest city state before you can build your first settler (or archer-spam them yourselves). Meanwhile, barbarians start riding their horsemen and horse archers so if you have a start with poor production you may as well just give up.

Emperor is pretty easy by your second or third game. I won a late religious victory by just spamming apostles and totally ignoring my military. There was no finesse involved for 50 turns at the end: Just pure, dumb rock-throwing that I'd expect to only be an option at the lower levels.

I thought the second settler would be a deal-breaker for fun, but the AI really needs that advantage in this game since it has to manage units, cities, and improvements while taking terrain into account.

I do agree that they AI rolling over city-states automatically every game is not cool though. You'd think they could start the city-states off with more units than other AIs since they don't attack anybody.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I hope they revamp the whole civics system. There are so many choices and every one feels so inconsequential except for a few like the 2 extra builder charges.

It'd be nice if they strengthened a lot of them, but make them exclusive by government type.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

The Human Crouton posted:

I do agree that they AI rolling over city-states automatically every game is not cool though. You'd think they could start the city-states off with more units than other AIs since they don't attack anybody.

I was gonna suggest maybe strongly weighting the AI against attacking city-states since it's more to everyone's advantage to get their envoy bonuses, but not increasing their beefiness would just make it easier for the player to roll CSes instead. Maybe a little bit of both.

Away all Goats posted:

I hope they revamp the whole civics system. There are so many choices and every one feels so inconsequential except for a few like the 2 extra builder charges.

It'd be nice if they strengthened a lot of them, but make them exclusive by government type.

I kinda agree in that I think civics could use to be stronger. Maybe give time bonuses to civic cards, too. The way they are now, it feels like only a couple are really useful and the rest are just junk. Buildings at holy sites produce +1 Faith, oh whoa, I have four holy sites producing like 100 faith and that civic increases it by a whole 16 faith per turn :geno:

I dunno about you, but I'd definitely take that one over, say, "buildings in industrial and academic districts produce +8 gold" no choice there

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Oct 30, 2016

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Away all Goats posted:

My experience with them has been totally different. I very strongly notice the changes in my empire caused by each civic card.

But as for the lesser used ones, I think a lot of them are meant to be used in very specific situations. They are not expected to be used very often at all, but give you the option to play under sub-optimal circumstances, or increase the fun of some unique playthroughs. I played a game where I got some amazing production and sea resources, but a severe lack of rivers. The normally useless extra housing civic saved the day.(They need an early extra amenity civic too)

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

My issue with policies is not that they are too weak, but the way a lot of them are very situational while you can revamp all of them every few turns just creates an optimization metagame that I am not a huge fan of. You will obviously not have the cheaper land buy policy on for your entire game, you just need it for one single turn in order to drain your treasury expanding your borders, and then it's useless again for the next fifty turns or so. +5 to barbarians is cool to pop when you see a horde approach, and then you want to switch it out as soon as you whittle them down a bit. And worse of them all: switch the 2-for-1 envoys for CS as soon as you are gonna spend a few on some new city states, and then switch it back on the same loving turn.

Policy switching should be more restrictive than that. At least new civics should only allow the new policy card to be switched in for free, not just allow a total revamp of your entire government.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

I'm tabling this until it gets some kind of patch that fixes the seemingly crucial but nonetheless utterly broken aspects (AI and UI are the biggest offenders). At least Stellaris has been finally been fixed/patched enough to the point where it's feature complete (in my opinion).

Morzhovyye fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Oct 30, 2016

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
I must have gotten lucky on my first epic game, since the AI was pretty reasonable for the whole game. I did get Gandhi as my neighbour and all the other civs on a separate continent, though. About to win a science victory (on king), never warred, although Gandhi did complain about me settling too near / robbing his archeology sites. Promised not to, and he seemed to calm down and I ended up friends with him for most of the game. The AI didn't really seem to understand tech boosts; at one point I got into industrialization when all other civs I'd met were in the medieval era (and this is one of the first matches I tried so I didn't really min/max at all).

Later on, most of the distant civs offered friend declarations as well, except Victoria who just keeps denouncing me for whatever reason & Gorgo who doesn't like my hippie pacifist ways.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Magil Zeal posted:

Something you can do is get some Apostles with the theological combat bonus and have them sleep on a holy site. The AI loves to suicide its apostles into it, and despite there being no indication of this anywhere a sleeping apostle on a holy site will heal. If you're ever in danger of losing an apostle you can stack a military unit on a wounded apostle and they can't hit it anymore.

Russia was giving me an incredibly frustrating time yesterday with loving missionaries and apostles, and he was incapable of keeping a promise to stop converting people. I eventually settled on the "park on a holy site" strategy, which is like turning on a bug zapper. I just wish I'd done it with that first apostle who had the religious-combat upgrade. :sigh:

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I'm playing as Trajan, doing pretty well but I somehow never built a religion? Is it because I never built a Holy Site at my capital, just my other cities?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

VulgarandStupid posted:

I'm playing as Trajan, doing pretty well but I somehow never built a religion? Is it because I never built a Holy Site at my capital, just my other cities?

You were probably too slow, the amount of available Prophets is half the player amount +1.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

VulgarandStupid posted:

You get a religion by getting a Great Prophet, which requires Great Prophet points (or building Stonehenge); the number of available Great Prophets in a game is half the number of civilizations, plus one. So, if you didn't get there in time, you don't get to make your own religion.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
Just finished an Immortal Religious game as Spain with a Renaissance era start and I have to say it is the closest thing to Diplo victory in Civ5.

Hell, even the AI wants to peace out of war ASAP once you've converted them.

Xmas Pterodactyl
Oct 22, 2007
I'm onto my second game now, but still not 100% sure on how amenities and strategic resources work.

For amenities - they seem to replace happiness but Civ V, but not be quite so restrictive. Like, amenity loss seems to affect only the individual cities suffering a deficit. But how does improving and trading luxury resources add up? Civopedia says that you can only have 4 additional amenities from luxury resources in a city. Does that mean it is only worth expanding cities onto 4 new unique luxury resources? For that matter, do luxuries need to actually be unique to get an amenity point or can I just stockpile, say, salt and everyone is happy? Or if I have 8 cities, do they benefit from 4 different luxury resources?

As for strategic resources and their scarcity. Honestly, it feels like the game is bugged and 'standard' is treated like 'scarce' for strategics when setting up the game. But anyway, it appears that when you improve a strategic resource, do they give yield values? I swear I couldn't see any in my last game. And does it cost one strategic resource to produce a unit that requires that resource? I know the encampment district says you can create units that should require 2 strategics for the price of 1, yet producing these units in other cities still didn't seem to cost one resource.

I really do hope they address the UI issues soon. It honestly seems like a step backwards from Civ V. Like, for most of the above issues, Civ V allowed the UI to provide the information available to work this out. In Civ VI, I cannot for the life of me find the detailed information I need on things like what luxuries are contributing to amenities in what cities and so on. Even the trade 'overview' only seems to show available routes only in a city that has an available trader at that time, instead of all possibilities. There's no comparison of things like production, food, and military - though hovering over score seems to provide this, but when I turned off score victory I lost that whole screen! I guess these are issues to be expected to some extent on launch. Still disappointed it seems like a step back.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

The game's been out a week so you're not going to find any comprehensive strategy guides, and i would imagine people are reluctant to make them when there are so many exploits likely to be patched out in the next update.

If you mean a basic starting guide then try the tutorial first, or put the adviser on when playing a game.

People are so reluctant to make guides that they didn't even make a proper Civelopedia.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Xmas Pterodactyl posted:

I'm onto my second game now, but still not 100% sure on how amenities and strategic resources work.

For amenities - they seem to replace happiness but Civ V, but not be quite so restrictive. Like, amenity loss seems to affect only the individual cities suffering a deficit. But how does improving and trading luxury resources add up? Civopedia says that you can only have 4 additional amenities from luxury resources in a city. Does that mean it is only worth expanding cities onto 4 new unique luxury resources? For that matter, do luxuries need to actually be unique to get an amenity point or can I just stockpile, say, salt and everyone is happy? Or if I have 8 cities, do they benefit from 4 different luxury resources?

As for strategic resources and their scarcity. Honestly, it feels like the game is bugged and 'standard' is treated like 'scarce' for strategics when setting up the game. But anyway, it appears that when you improve a strategic resource, do they give yield values? I swear I couldn't see any in my last game. And does it cost one strategic resource to produce a unit that requires that resource? I know the encampment district says you can create units that should require 2 strategics for the price of 1, yet producing these units in other cities still didn't seem to cost one resource.

The first copy of each luxury resource provides 4 amenities to your cities, and it's automatically allocated to the cities that need it most if you have more than 4 cities. Every subsequent copy of a luxury does NOT give you more amenities, so trade away all your extras. You can do more than 4 cities fairly easily, but if you only have 4 copies of salt then you're going to be pretty reliant on lux trades.

I agree that strategic resources are too rare at the moment. They are not used up when you build a unit that requires them, they merely need to be available. So if you only have one horse pasture, you can't build horsemen at all without an encampment. But if you build that encampment, the single horse resource will support infinite horsemen. And if you get a second horse pasture online, every city can spam them.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Kanfy posted:

You were probably too slow, the amount of available Prophets is half the player amount +1.

To me, this feels like a strange design choice given that religious victory is a thing. I'm not sure I like it that you can't even compete in the religious game if you don't happen to beeline religion. Most other systems at least give you the ability to catch up. It almost feels like it's just a holdover from V rather than an attempt to fit it into the new game.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Oct 30, 2016

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Is there a bug with wall building? All my cities had ancient walls, and when I teched medieval, a handful of my cities had medieval walls in the listing but it was greyed out, saying "Ancient Walls required". They were there already! At first I though maybe it was because in my first city my ancient walls were damaged, but then I couldn't figure out how to repair them (is it in the city build menu? A builder? I tried both and neither of these were ever an option so I just had damaged ancient walls in one city for eternity).

Also, is it against the spirit of the game to always turn off Religious Victory and just ignore founding a religion, because

Decrepus posted:

Civilization VI: Christ, 12 Apostles?

Also, the AI just completely ignores your "please don't convert my cities" dont' they? I had France completely dominated in everything yet they still kept sending waves of apostles to my continent regulary to keep converting my cities. And every time I'd go "quit it" and they'd say "ok sorry". But to be honest I had no interest in wiping them out because :effort:

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

Fhqwhgads posted:

Is there a bug with wall building? All my cities had ancient walls, and when I teched medieval, a handful of my cities had medieval walls in the listing but it was greyed out, saying "Ancient Walls required". They were there already! At first I though maybe it was because in my first city my ancient walls were damaged, but then I couldn't figure out how to repair them (is it in the city build menu? A builder? I tried both and neither of these were ever an option so I just had damaged ancient walls in one city for eternity).

Also, is it against the spirit of the game to always turn off Religious Victory and just ignore founding a religion, because

Also, the AI just completely ignores your "please don't convert my cities" dont' they? I had France completely dominated in everything yet they still kept sending waves of apostles to my continent regulary to keep converting my cities. And every time I'd go "quit it" and they'd say "ok sorry". But to be honest I had no interest in wiping them out because :effort:

Damaged city center buildings and districts should be repairable from the city production menu, workers only seem to repair improvements.

The carpet of loving apostles blocking your workers/army is super obnoxious and I was really surprised because I thought religious units would be their own 'layer'. If it's anything like CiV though the AI doesn't remove grand strategies from its pool even if the associated victory type is disabled, so they'd probably still spam apostles.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Frustrating to find out you cant transfer city to city with just a harbor. It has to be a city. I lose so many admirals that way, as they always spawn not at my coastal ocean city, but at the inland lake with just a harbor.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
How do you get another civ to un-denounce you? Does it just take time to wear off, like in Civ 5? There seems to be no diplomatic function to say "hey, let's be pals again!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Odobenidae posted:

I'm tabling this until it gets some kind of patch that fixes the seemingly crucial but nonetheless utterly broken aspects (AI and UI are the biggest offenders). At least Stellaris has been finally been fixed/patched enough to the point where it's feature complete (in my opinion).

Yeah same, I did a game where I decided to conquer everyone with Rome. First I waited till I could wage colonial war on Qin, a few turns later Peter, who wanted to be my buddy for a long time, also declared war on me, and after I had removed Qin, and was cleaning up Peter's last two cities, Gorgo figured it would be a good time to join too. That took entirely too long because of how movement works but mostly because every turn devolved into a list of obnoxious chores because you're refreshing spies, trade routes and city production so often. I'll try it again once they fixed a few things and added build queues and auto-refresh for these things, until then I just can't stand trying to win domination victories. Culture, science and religion are okay I guess, because you can reach them with less busywork, but still :(

Also the Jesus spam is absolutely annoying because even though they're not threatening, you have to micromanage your religious defenders while sentry mode is missing, or they're blocking your tiles and ruining your own religion.

Fhqwhgads posted:

Not sure what triggers it but I also had the bug with walls and I'm pretty sure mine weren't destroyed or damaged, but maybe they were?

I started turning off religious victories because defending against the AI's religion spam is possible but also boring, because you have to intercept every wave of AIs' missionaries/adepts manually or clean up with inquisitors repeatedly.

And yeah they ignore these requests completely and I don't even know why the option to bring it up is even in the game, because there's no mechanical difference. They keep settling wherever they want, keep sending religious units converting your cities and send spies all day long. It's a challenge to the player either way and the AI doesn't get a gameplay penalty.

orcane fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Oct 30, 2016