Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

nm posted:

This is probably a good sign that you don't know much about criminal defense.

Preach. If your narrative is "protect my client from the mean government," you want the judge to appear to be mean to you.

It's an incredibly useful skill that marks a good defense attorney from an average one. As a prosecutor, I never want to piss off a judge, and I cringe internally when a judge gets mad at me in front of a jury.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Folks, please note that the media reports saying the prosecutors "over-charged" are basing this position on interviews with one of the defense attorneys.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
I love how every crazy militia supporter is suddenly an expert in ranging/land + water rights.

nothing the Bundys did or advocate for makes legal or economic sense, and their 'solutions' to non-existant problems would directly lead to violence.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Discendo Vox posted:

Folks, please note that the media reports saying the prosecutors "over-charged" are basing this position on interviews with one of the defense attorneys.

They're also based on the string of NGs.

I am curious to know what lessers were availible and why they were not charged.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Just wanted to quote this to record that Baloogan managed to flood the thread with what boils down to "I really know nothing about what is being discussed but I have strong opinions regarding it."

Yes, and?

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
They were not charged with the specific things they did, like trespassing, breaking and entering, criminal mischief, etc., because the title 18 charges for those things require federal legislative jurisdiction (e.g., either exclusive or concurrent jurisdiction) in order to satisfy the special maritime or territorial jurisdiction element of those offenses. MNWR is proprietary jurisdiction because the federal government did not reserve legislative jurisdiction over those lands at the time of statehood and the state of Oregon has not ceded legislative jurisdiction to the federal government since then. The state of Oregon can charge them for those things. The federal government cannot. That remains true; double jeopardy is not an issue here. The only issue is the Oregon attorney general's willingness to sign up for prosecuting what has become a toxic case.

This is why they were charged with conspiracy to impede. Because that is a) what they were actually doing so it was an appropriate charge, and b) the alternative of charging them with the litany of specific things they overtly did on camera was not available. And of course, some of them were charged with specific painfully simple things like carrying weapons in a federal facility and stealing things, which they loving obviously did, but the jury acquitted them of those because "sending a message" to a prosecutor they didn't like was more important to them than objectively applying the facts in evidence to the elements of the offenses.

This is why the "hurrrrrrr dey overcharged" narrative from aggressively dumb contrarians like juror number four and baloogan is so stupid. Not that this will stop people like that from advancing these arguments, because they literally derive sexual pleasure from saying things that are both wrong and annoying.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Time for the state to get them for vandalism and theft. These fucks don't get to walk away with nothing. Give Fry another oppurtunity to go apeshit and get locked in a psych facility.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
For a second I thought bubba inc was their name for the militia

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

you're late jeb, but hey who cares, its a good pun

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I wonder if LaVoy is looking up from Hell feeling dumb for going with suicide by cop.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I wonder if LaVoy is looking up from Hell feeling dumb for going with suicide by cop.

jokes on him, he's wormfood within the black Nothingness of Death

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

"I aint going to prison hurrrr!!!!!!!!!!"

*8 months later everyone is acquitted

"drat"

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Baloogan posted:

i will answer literally everything! what haven't i answered so far

the feds stole the land from the indians; and the bunides grazed on that land for generations its just recently due to politics that they are cutting off access to land that should either have been bundies to begin with or available for people to buy from the indians

the bundys' ranch and claim is in nevada. this reserve is in oregon. reread the drat facts.

Lamebot has issued a correction as of 05:15 on Oct 30, 2016

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
oh

why did they occupy the reserve?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Baloogan posted:

oh

At least partially to protest the application of federal mandatory minimum sentencing laws against white people.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
This is like listening to Socrates argue about sandwiches.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Baloogan posted:

oh

Because some ranchers lit some fires on federal land, including right below encamped firefighters and actually had to go to prison for arson.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Baloogan posted:

oh

Cubey posted:

the entire point of the takeover was to protest the sentence of some jackasses who poached deer ilegally out of season and then set fire to a shitload of federal land to hide the evidence of their poaching, during fuckin fire season

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
thats a pretty dumb reason

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
im gonna go get some cider
what would someone who supports the bundies describe their reasons?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Baloogan posted:

gubmint bad rahowa comin WAKE UP AMERICA

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Baloogan posted:

Baloogan posted:

the feds stole the land from the indians; and the bunides grazed on that land for generations its just recently due to politics that they are cutting off access to land that should either have been bundies to begin with or available for people to buy from the indians

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Baloogan posted:

Over-reach of the federal government, evidenced by sending the two OR ranchers back to prison after they had completed their original sentence. After it became public knowledge that those two ranchers didn't want help from the Bundys, it became about over-reach of the feds by just owning land.

Obviously there is more to the story.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Yeah but it all started when some guys were poaching deer.

So the real moral of the story is deer suck.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

EorayMel posted:

Yeah but it all started when some guys were poaching deer.

So the real moral of the story is deer suck.

hmmm well i can't argue with this so i guess they were right all along

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

VikingSkull posted:

jokes on him, he's wormfood within the black Nothingness of Death

That's the factual answer, but the funny answer is he shows up at the Pearly Gates and St. Peter says: "What? That bit of nonsense 19th century apostacy? No, lol."

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Baloogan posted:

Well, in general they were looking for a way to protest federal land ownership.

They chose Harney county as the site of the protest because they thought the Hammonds (local father son ranchers) were being mistreated. The Hammonds claim they set the fires as a backfire to prevent the wildfire from spreading onto their land, and they had no idea the firefighters were nearby. They admit they didn't get the required permit to burn, but claim they phoned the local BLM office, and someone there verbally gave them permission to set the fire. No evidence of this verbal permission exists. So they were tried and convicted of arson on federal land, and sentenced to a few months each. The prosecutor then appealed the sentences, because the particular charge they were convicted of has a minimum sentence of 5 years. By the time the appeal was settled the ranchers had already been released from prison, because appeals take time. So they were being forced to turn themselves in and go back to prison to finish their sentences. Bundy Bros incorrectly thought this constituted Double Jeopardy, that they were being punished twice for the same crime. This fed into their general narrative that ranchers are being mistreated by the federal government.

The bird sanctuary had nothing to do with the case. I think they picked it because it was both nearby and out of the way, and nonessential enough that it would be completely unmanned during the New Year's weekend, letting them claim it was 'empty and abandoned" for their squatters right's claim.

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

That's the factual answer, but the funny answer is he shows up at the Pearly Gates and St. Peter says: "What? That bit of nonsense 19th century apostacy? No, lol."

Lol, as if Lavoy Finicum would create joinder with a Catholic.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
They wanted confrontation with the Feds and discussed three plans. The wildlife refuge occupation is the one they happened to go with.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Fiend posted:

Lol, as if Lavoy Finicum would create joinder with a Catholic.

:lol: at describing heretical Jew as a catholic

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

:lol: at describing heretical Jew as a catholic

Finicum was a Mormon. The Catholic in this analogy is Saint Peter, not Fry.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Platystemon posted:

They wanted confrontation with the Feds and discussed three plans. The wildlife refuge occupation is the one they happened to go with.

The other two being assaulting Child Protective Services offices over some militia nuts kids being taken away, and "doing something" to refugees being settled stateside. The refugee plan may or may not have been similar to the other, probably unrelated, militia nuts who planned to carbomb a refugee owned apartment building and use automatic weapons on survivors that fled the debris.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

WINNINGHARD posted:

i'll show up at his house with a big loving gun and force him to listen to pearl jam for a month straight nonviolently

A reminder that Eddie Vedder has a whole (awesome) album of ukulele songs.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Baloogan posted:

i will answer literally everything! what haven't i answered so far

By "just recently due to politics' what you mean is that Cliven Bundy refused to pay his grazing fees to the government, which are way below commercial feed rates, for 20+ years. After decades of nonpayment and numerous warnings, the government banned him from grazing public land and held some of his cattle in lien until the million dollars or more of back fees are paid in full.

This is what precipitated Cliven whining to the moron hick militia about government overreach, decades of refusing to pay his fair share.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Additionally he's been selling his malnourished, unvaccinated beef under the table for the same amount of time.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Cliven Bundy choked to death for selling loosy hamburgers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Platystemon posted:

Finicum was a Mormon. The Catholic in this analogy is Saint Peter, not Fry.

I was talking about Peter. Dude saw himself as the follower of Jewish Messiah and got into a bunch of slapfights with Paul, who was the one who really set Christianity on the road to becoming what it is now because he was all about converting gentiles.

Peter wanted to stick with being a Jewish sect, more or less.