Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

wide stance posted:

In another engineering win for the Macbook Pro they put the headphone port on the right :bravo:

I can't wait to fight the cord whenever I move from trackpad/mouse to keyboard, popping it out at some times, because like 93% of people I'm right handed.

(It was properly on the left in the previous edition, back when they designed good things)

What the gently caress does any of this mean? The cord lies on the table, it's not in the way. Are you guys just inventing imagined scenarios to bitch about now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Sunflower iMac chat:

~Coxy posted:

Mac OS 9 classic games machine.
Not much else, really.

That might actually be something. I have a friend whose husband has some OS 9 game he loves. Heroes of Might & Magic 5 or something, I think. I'm gonna ask him if he wants it (if he can be arsed to install it without a working DVD drive, haha).

Krispy Kareem posted:

They are neat though. I wish Apple hadn't abandoned the articulating arm so quickly.

Yeah, it'd be a fun desk toy if it wasn't so big. The arm moves so smoothly. I even used it to carry it around before I learned from this thread that that's just its intended purpose, too!

I had this dumb idea from way before the iPad became a thing, where I'd stick an old iMac in a corner to look up things on the fly. Now we all just carry iPads and that made that idea obsolete. Not that I'm complaining, it's just kinda surreal how technology changes.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

FCKGW posted:

What the gently caress does any of this mean? The cord lies on the table, it's not in the way. Are you guys just inventing imagined scenarios to bitch about now?

Power, video out, and headphone should all be on the right so you don't have the cords in the way of mousing

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Zwille posted:

Sunflower iMac chat:

That might actually be something. I have a friend whose husband has some OS 9 game he loves. Heroes of Might & Magic 5 or something, I think. I'm gonna ask him if he wants it (if he can be arsed to install it without a working DVD drive, haha).

Btw, those iLamp Macs use a bog-standard PC IDE 5-1/4" DVD drive, I bought my 17" at a thrift store for $25 and put an old DVD burner in it to replace the original dead drive. You can get them on eBay for like :tenbux: but usually somebody's got one lying around gathering dust. They're a little weird to take apart the first time, but not too bad.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

FCKGW posted:

Why are you constantly posting as if you're on the verge of a panic attack

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Bob Morales posted:

Power, video out, and headphone should all be on the right so you don't have the cords in the way of mousing

You mean left?

(As an aside I'm left handed and somehow managed to learn to use the mouse with both hands. It's weird cause at work it's on the right, at home it's on the left, unless I fire up a game then it switches to the right cause of WASD, and also switches to the right as well if I'm using Vim…)

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Buca di Bepis posted:

Why are you constantly posting as if you're on the verge of a panic attack

this thread has gone off the deep end with the "Apple is doomed" rhetoric, more so than normal keynotes

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Lol

As long as we're nitpicking I think my MacBook Pro should be able to make me breakfast

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

thread is in shambles

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Probably because it's the second announcement in two months where a major product is worse in a lot of ways than its predecessor. It's not good for Apple that so many of us are going "you know what I think I'll hold on to my old iPhone and Macbook for another year." This is the longest I've gone without updating either.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm so looking forward to the day the first completely port-less Macbook is presented. Marvel of technology, inductive charging, all gadgets run on Future Bluetooth, and everyone will be like, JONY WHY MUST YOU TAKE AWAY OUR PORTS

Or the day the first Macbook with an "all-glass", 0% bezel display comes out. JONY HOW CAN I TAPE OVER MY WEBCAM NOW

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

ethanol posted:

Lol

As long as we're nitpicking I think my MacBook Pro should be able to make me breakfast

I'm pretty sure my old 2006 MBP could cook an egg if that helps.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Cingulate posted:

I'm so looking forward to the day the first completely port-less Macbook is presented. Marvel of technology, inductive charging, all gadgets run on Future Bluetooth, and everyone will be like, JONY WHY MUST YOU TAKE AWAY OUR PORTS

Or the day the first Macbook with an "all-glass", 0% bezel display comes out. JONY HOW CAN I TAPE OVER MY WEBCAM NOW

Nah, this is the culmination of a few years of worries. Apple's been pushing lighter and longer battery life as the core attributes of their product lines to the point that .5 mm THINNER! has become a running gag at least since that pencil commercial. Previously no matter what your misgivings about what they COULD do (especially with the MBP) if they weren't so focused on aesthetics at least the machines were demonstrably better each iteration. This time you're seeing some real trade offs. Apple itself is saying that they're only shipping 16gb ram max because of power usage considerations

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

prom candy posted:

Probably because it's the second announcement in two months where a major product is worse in a lot of ways than its predecessor. It's not good for Apple that so many of us are going "you know what I think I'll hold on to my old iPhone and Macbook for another year." This is the longest I've gone without updating either.

Yeah, this. Just before the keynote I told a friend "Yeah, I'm going to upgrade this year." Now I'm not sure. I'm pretty tied to MacOS due to having to build iOS Cordova apps but even that can be outsourced to the "cloud" these days. I really like my mac but I don't want to be like those cranks that still buy 2012 macbook pros just because they are upgradeable.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Cingulate posted:

The Onion, as always, is oddly prophetic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BnLbv6QYcA

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Personally I think the touchbar is kind of neat. However, I'm really disappointed in the keyboard. I can't stand the Macbook keyboard. I don't know how anyone can use that and in any way say it is good and be taken seriously.

To me that keyboard shows that Apple is willing to sacrifice a key component of the usability of the device to chase their obsession with thinness.

xgalaxy fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 30, 2016

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

The other troubling thing about the RAM issue is that it is pointing towards them taking the same approach to the laptops that they do the phones - a device optimized for handling very well today, but which you'll want to upgrade in a couple year's time. 16GB is perfectly adequate now, but in 3 years? I got the non-upgradable RAM. It sucks if you like expanding it yourself on the cheap, but whatever. But there's no way that a laptop with 16gb today is going to have the same kind of useful lifespan as their older models where the RAM options were basically "enough to run the OS" "good" and "more than you need, buy a few years of use down the line."

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Does an extra RAM really use that much power? I was under the impression the components that used the most power were the display and processor. Either way, not being able to get 32GB is pretty disappointing when we're already shelling out $2k+.

I don't have a problem with USB C and it's slowly coming becoming a standard anyhow. What I do find weird is Apple keeping lightening on the iPhone but continuing the 3.5mm Audio jack on laptops.

I wish they just dumped lightening and went USB C for everything. And no Kaby Lake is an odd decision.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Tab8715 posted:

Does an extra RAM really use that much power? I was under the impression the components that used the most power were the display and processor. Either way, not being able to get 32GB is pretty disappointing when we're already shelling out $2k+.

I don't have a problem with USB C and it's slowly coming becoming a standard anyhow. What I do find weird is Apple keeping lightening on the iPhone but continuing the 3.5mm Audio jack on laptops.

I wish they just dumped lightening and went USB C for everything. And no Kaby Lake is an odd decision.

It's almost like this should have been a 2015 announcement and even then people would be pissed off.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
All jokes aside...would this have happened under Steve?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

If goons hate t so much that means it's good

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I don't know about everyone else but I'm contemplating picking up a cheaper MacBook Air...

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

You can buy one USB C to lightning cord to connect your phone OR get all new phone and iPad chargers, docks, etc

I did t realize that many people were going to require >32GB of ram. Today you can still buy 8gb Macs. You haven't been able to upgrade them in the last 4 years either way.

I doubt the touchbar uses much power, but they probably lost battery by making the thing slimmer which it really didn't. Red to be.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

rear end Catchcum posted:

Yes, absolutely. All of it. Removing ports and adding contreversial poo poo like the touch bar is the Stevest. The amount of butthurt in this thread is at least on par with past Stevenotes. In fact the only thing Apple did that wasn't Steve was keeping the Macbook Air around in zombie form. Steve would have killed it dead, and then maybe killed the Mac Mini too. He also would have never allowed that LG turd to show up on stage.

8ender fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Oct 30, 2016

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

rear end Catchcum posted:

Steve would have gone on a rampage over the iPhone 6 camera wart. Everything since then is happening in the evil mirror universe

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Steve introduced windows iPod with music match software. Everyone just makes up whatever they feel like when they say "Steve would never do this."

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

As someone who is looking forward to returning to some Mac hardware (iPad/MacBook), does it seem to anyone else like the product lines have fragmented too much over the past few years? I've been looking between Wikipedia and eBay comparing the specs of all the recent iPads vs buying new.

eames
May 9, 2009

A person on reddit tried using the Razer Core (external Thunderbolt 3 GPU case) with the new 13" MBP.

https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/5a6z8s/my_experience_with_the_new_13_mbp_and_the_razer/

It doesn't work, not even in Windows.

//edit: also regarding eGPU, this twitter account is apparently run by an "Apple insider" and claims that there's perfect seamless eGPU support in Sierra, intended for the 5k display that was allegedly cancelled.

https://twitter.com/ATP_Tipster1/status/792763808569786368
https://twitter.com/ATP_Tipster1/status/792760465311039488
https://twitter.com/ATP_Tipster1/status/792760959773380608
+ all of his recent tweets

eames fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Oct 30, 2016

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
9 out of 10 users will probably never have a problem with 8gb. Limiting to 16gb is in no way going to cause obsolescence except for a small number of power users that Apple isn't marketing to with these releases.

They probably didn't add a 32gb option because not enough people would select it and it'd pressure them to price the 16gb (likely the most profitable trim) lower as a mid-sized option versus their premium. Apple loves to gently caress customers over with memory and storage. "Oh, you'd like a 32gb iPhone? gently caress you it's a 16gb you'll learn to hate or 64gb where you will always have about 30gb free."

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Yea. I don't see the 16gb ram as an issue personally. But then I'm not doing scientific computing. Then again scientific computing people are probably ssh'ing into more serious hardware anyway.

16gb is going to be a staple just like 8gb was a staple for 32bit processors for a long long time.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Can someone recommend a keyboard for my dad? He's looking for the following:

1) Ergonomic.
2) Wireless
3) Apple keys

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

eGPU on Mac is a pipe dream

eames
May 9, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

eGPU on Mac is a pipe dream

I don't know. It definitely seems like Apple have/had something planned.
Some people made an external Titan X work on a default Sierra installation by flashing the card's ROM/EFI.

http://www.macvidcards.com/blog/macos-sierra-had-native-egpu-support

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cyrano4747 posted:

Nah, this is the culmination of a few years of worries. Apple's been pushing lighter and longer battery life as the core attributes of their product lines to the point that .5 mm THINNER! has become a running gag at least since that pencil commercial. Previously no matter what your misgivings about what they COULD do (especially with the MBP) if they weren't so focused on aesthetics at least the machines were demonstrably better each iteration. This time you're seeing some real trade offs. Apple itself is saying that they're only shipping 16gb ram max because of power usage considerations
I wish they'd make the battery last longer. 16 to 32 GB really isn't that big of a difference: neither is a real compute server, either is sufficient for 99% of what 99% of people do.

Bob Morales posted:

You can buy one USB C to lightning cord to connect your phone OR get all new phone and iPad chargers, docks, etc

I did t realize that many people were going to require >32GB of ram. Today you can still buy 8gb Macs. You haven't been able to upgrade them in the last 4 years either way.

I doubt the touchbar uses much power, but they probably lost battery by making the thing slimmer which it really didn't. Red to be.
I wish they'd make it slimmer. What's a good trade-off with battery life? I'm not sure. I just hope the next gen will be slimmer AND have more battery.

Apple's got their priorities just right. "Thinner!" is a joke to a lot of people somehow. I'm thinking: if Apple hadn't one day decided to make the first underpowered Air without LAN, laptops would still be horrible. Instead, it's 2016 and laptops are wonderful. And that includes them being really light. I carry a laptop around 4 hours every single day. I'm drat glad I get to do that in 2016 rather than 2006.

Same goes for battery life and screens.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Cingulate posted:

Same goes for battery life and screens.
Same what? Your willingness to sacrifice them on the altar of thinness?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Linguica posted:

Same what? Your willingness to sacrifice them on the altar of thinness?
No: Apple made the right calls, sacrificing ports, processors, graphics, accessories etc. for battery and screens.

xgalaxy posted:

Yea. I don't see the 16gb ram as an issue personally. But then I'm not doing scientific computing. Then again scientific computing people are probably ssh'ing into more serious hardware anyway.

16gb is going to be a staple just like 8gb was a staple for 32bit processors for a long long time.
For scientific computing, you should indeed invest in GSM/LTE and an EC2 account, not going from 16 to 32 GB on your laptop.

(I ssh into our compute servers from my Air. I can prototype stuff locally when I don't have wireless, but there is zero chance I'll do actual computations on a laptop, not with 16, 32 or 64 GB RAM.)

Cingulate fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Oct 30, 2016

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Is it worth upgrading from a 2012 top-spec MBP to a 2015 top-spec rMBP? I have a line on one for about $1500 CAD with trade-in.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

prom candy posted:

Is it worth upgrading from a 2012 top-spec MBP to a 2015 top-spec rMBP? I have a line on one for about $1500 CAD with trade-in.
The non-retina Macbooks are kind of a poo poo. The later rMBPs however are amazing.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Steve Jobs wanted to get rid of the function keys from the beginning. Even for their first Macs he hated them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Then could this be a ghost-Steve situation?