Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In Training posted:

Mario never gave you 10% to jump height. For color/reference.

Neither does Doom. Almost every upgrade in Doom is an actual meaningful change to the game and not a Math Difference. The only ones I can think of that are like that are the Suit upgrades which are almost all boring passive upgrades. The weapon upgrades are different secondary fire modes which actually significantly change how the weapon functions and upgrade to more significantly power up those upgrades, and the Runes have a significant impact on how your character plays.

If you're looking for a game without customization options then yeah, Doom won't be for you, but part of Doom's appeal is that it supports a wide variety of playstyles and most people won't consider that a bad thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Looper posted:

Also I missed Final Fantasy chat but I'm here to say 9 is the best and I'm sad people never mention it whenever they talk about the other PS1/2 games

Uh... actuallly, a whole lot of people do mention it (including, I think, FAU). I myself am in the anti-FF9 camp, because it is the only games besides FF2 and FF11 i couldn't finish, and ff11 doesn't count and ff2 is probably just a laziness thing. i think it is a very bad game, even compared to the other FFs, but i accept that it may be a matter of taste

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I've never even heard of final fantasy 9. I mean, I assumed that it existed, but I couldn't tell you a single thing about it. If you told me that it didn't exist because FF was like Windows, I would believe you.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The new Doom is super good but I think it's probably okay with the universe if you don't like it. Life uh finds a way

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

In Training posted:

I guess I was all ready to love doom after all the praise but why would the demo not give me all the mobility options. That was the other part too, in the demo you get to access a Menu that gives you Hella Math Upgrades on a bunch of guns and moves and crap and I immediately gave up on the whole game.

Are we really at the point where getting cool new upgrades for your guns is a negative for you?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is better than Doom

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Macaluso posted:

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is better than Doom

Well, yeah.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

oddium posted:

the one where they play elder scrolls online

Ummm, what?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

Uh... actuallly, a whole lot of people do mention it (including, I think, FAU). I myself am in the anti-FF9 camp, because it is the only games besides FF2 and FF11 i couldn't finish, and ff11 doesn't count and ff2 is probably just a laziness thing. i think it is a very bad game, even compared to the other FFs, but i accept that it may be a matter of taste

It's objectively better than 8 and 10 I'll fight you

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bicyclops posted:

if i play HL 2 now, will it feel super dated? i apparently have it from when i downloaded original portal.

Nope, holds up just fine. Graphics are a little dated now but still workable, and you can crank it to max settings. If you really want there's mods that improve the visuals tremendously but the biggest one also changes the models of the characters and they look bad. There might be a version without the character changes.

HL2 is an amazing game; play it. Its a loving ride.

Snak posted:

I've never even heard of final fantasy 9. I mean, I assumed that it existed, but I couldn't tell you a single thing about it. If you told me that it didn't exist because FF was like Windows, I would believe you.

A lot of people blew it off, myself included, because after 7 and 8's very mature themes, sci-fi settings, and focus on realistic teenage characters or whatever, 9 is a jump back to classic FF style from the 8-bit era, so its fantasy, its cartoony, etc. Very different tone.

But its actually a pretty solid game in its own right, and its the perfect love letter to classic FF stories that the series kinda left behind with the 6-8 era, and after 9.

Its kinda hard to get into now though, as with all the pre-X FFs that have zero voice acting.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Oct 30, 2016

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
FF9 starts off with a love letter to Shakespeare and later has goofy shenanigans involving an actual love letter and I'll always love it for those and many other things, sorry the battle system is slow

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Snak posted:

its a major step back towards the cute look and humor of some earlier games in the series before things got super serious in 8. its a fun game with good characters and a really sweet minigame and skill development system. idk its a good one if you have patience for waiting through constant load screens

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

New Doom and Titanfall 2 are both super fun games and it's great that 2016 finally has proper FPS games (still need to play shadowrun 2).

Half life one is so much better than 2+episodes but is so ugly now so you might as well skip it (or play black mesa I guess).

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

FF 6 and 9 are literally the only 2 "good" FF games. 7 is tolerable and 8 is only fun because you can break it so easily.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9B4ysBMzJcE

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I decided to taint my PC with origin to play Titanfall 2, but the origin servers are down. I'm sorry everyone, when Titanfall 2 is dead and forgotten in 2 weeks you can blame me for destroying the servers with my whims on a crucial weekend.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
final fantasy 9 is incredible and i think i'm gonna play it right now in fact on my sony playstation 3

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

chumbler posted:

I decided to taint my PC with origin

What year is it?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

FF 6 and 9 are literally the only 2 "good" FF games. 7 is tolerable and 8 is only fun because you can break it so easily.

What makes a good game a good game? Is it just "a game that I like"?

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

Eh that's fair. I wasn't a fan of 4 and thought 5 was boring but they aren't "bad". But 1-3 are really terrible and 10 on might as well be terrible anime movies, like Street Fighter Alpha Generations.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I will defend Lightning Returns as a good game, if not necessarily a good Final Fantasy game.

And by good game I mean a game I like.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I like FF9 for its art style, characters, and overall fun atmosphere, and it is definitely my favorite FF game and has some of my favorite jrpg music. It has many flaws, especially in regards to the battle system being slow, but I've heard the steam release mitigates a lot of the speed issues. My understanding is that FF9 is largely a throwback to older FF games but I hadn't played any and wasn't familiar with them and FF9 was able to stand on its own imo.

For all of its flaws, I still remember it fondly and hopefully if the steam version goes on sale for super cheap some day then I will pick it up :)

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

FAK's been doing a real good job hacking enemy systems with Hermit Purple, but he's no good to us if he can't Stand!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaGz7rkPd54

Freya is a cool Dragoon and it's a shame that one of the bigger flaws of FF9 is that it tends to forget about some of its cast and just kinda has them along without them contributing anything major after a certain point. She's cool for the parts she's important during but after that she's just kind of forgotten :(

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

bloodychill posted:

The aliens in xcom 2 might be the best part. Just wait until you see the koolaid man.

It's a shame the ones you see the most are so loving lame, though.

In Training posted:

The new doom has bad level design

Real. The vast majority of the game is essentially long corridors leading you to arena rooms. It's very inorganic and the levels are gigantic and take for-loving ever to clear.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Oct 30, 2016

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

Not exactly in response to this but somebody earlier asked me to defense FFXIII and I'll say that it's the only FF (up to that point, XIII-2 and extremely Lightning Returns) that required you to play encounters outside of bosses. Every other game was dungeons designed to be a management problem: do I have enough MP, do I have enough items, etc. Since FFXIII did not allow you to grind (crucial!) and the combat was explicitly active (every 6 seconds you had to decide what your next move was, no enemy ATB, no Wait, no muddling of the issue), it's a much more fun, challenging active JRPG than other FF games. All your HP resets each battle and they got rid of MP, so the idea of "saving for the big event" never happens, but it's still in this pseudo-turn based structure, very unique and singular. The big problem I have with it is that it's too easy, but that is a problem with a lot of games.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

XIII also has Sazh, the best FF character.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i don't like lightning returns because you can't run around and dodge in battle for very dumb reasons.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I also think the bravely games act in a similar mold which I find very fun, where random encounters are a puzzle and bosses are a nightmare. JRPGs outside FF brand figured out similarly challenging structures/twists before FF did but it's cool that they've tried to bend the mold in similar ways, with their own high budget market tested spin.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

i don't like lightning returns because you can't run around and dodge in battle for very dumb reasons.

The reason is that it's a Valkyrie profile game in everything but name

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I really do admire the FF series. Each iteration feels like it's trying something new, with sometimes vastly different mechanics and settings. You don't often see that kind of, like, bravery, especially in the AAA world

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
XIII never interested me for very petty reasons, those reasons being "it looked boring as hell"

Shiny and pretty, sure, and I've heard the fast-paced combat is fine albeit bland, but drat, the pacing and everything else I've read and seen of it made it look like a very pretty slog.

I think the whole "fabula nova" whatever thing rubbed me the wrong way too. It seemed like squenix was being way too full of itself, but like I said, I'm petty about squenix and the head people

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

That's why I'm kinda bummed about XV from the demo, it's a mildly action oriented game with side quests, tower climbing to unlock stuff and "open world" design conventions without interesting gameplay to back it up. It was cool in the demo that random battles were just initiated by drop ships slamming into view and stuff. But it was lame that you could cancel every animation into an instant dodge with square and the resource cost was so minimal as to be a non-factor, and even if you gently caress up bad you always have 3 AI guys who will kill everything for you with no penalties.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Whoa, looks like some of our boys have digivolved to Veteran. And that means makeover!

Oddium gets to look a bit lighter and more mobile.

Also SERGEANT KIRBY SUPERSCARE, SEASON 2

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

XIII never interested me for very petty reasons, those reasons being "it looked boring as hell"

Shiny and pretty, sure, and I've heard the fast-paced combat is fine albeit bland, but drat, the pacing and everything else I've read and seen of it made it look like a very pretty slog.

I think the whole "fabula nova" whatever thing rubbed me the wrong way too. It seemed like squenix was being way too full of itself, but like I said, I'm petty about squenix and the head people

As someone who loves JRPGs, a majority of them fall into the "pretty slog" camp, since the combat is stone cold simple in so, so many of them. It's usually the story or world that gets me interested, but FFXIII is a game where I skipped all the cutscenes and still beat it three times, just to keep playing around with the mechanics.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

In Training posted:

I also think the bravely games act in a similar mold which I find very fun, where random encounters are a puzzle and bosses are a nightmare. JRPGs outside FF brand figured out similarly challenging structures/twists before FF did but it's cool that they've tried to bend the mold in similar ways, with their own high budget market tested spin.

What I hate about turn-based RPGs is that the whole "random encounters are a puzzle" thing becomes just incredibly boring because of the nature of random encounters. In Persona or Pokemon or whatever, I will encounter maybe three or four different setups of random encounter per area, and once I have figured out what I need to do to beat them it stops being a puzzle and the next twenty times I hit that encounter it is just a big waste of time. The stakes of individual battles are so low that any individual one isn't challenging, there's just a constant attrition of resources like HP and MP on your part as you solve the same puzzle over and over again but with the knowledge that you can only solve it like, 30 times more until you run out of mana. That poo poo ain't fun, random encounters are just a terrible holdover from the days where games consoles didn't have the juice to render enemies in the overworld for you to fight and they should be cast into the abyss.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Lurdiak's trying some stuff out.

Cjacobs has moved all of her eyesight to one socket, resulting in a super-eye with the power of two eyes.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lizard Wizard posted:

Cjacobs has moved all of her eyesight to one socket, resulting in a super-eye with the power of two eyes.

:eyepop:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

In reality I just wanted to give her a more memorable look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

• Locked thread