Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Recommending someone play Diddy Kong Racing is like recommending they place Mario Party 1. That game will destroy your fingers. You have to mash the A button as fast as you can while driving the car, which gets tiring fast. Multiplayer games are basically just endurance matches to see who's fingers get sore first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Chainclaw posted:

Recommending someone play Diddy Kong Racing is like recommending they place Mario Party 1. That game will destroy your fingers. You have to mash the A button as fast as you can while driving the car, which gets tiring fast. Multiplayer games are basically just endurance matches to see who's fingers get sore first.

Gonna have to disagree here. I've never played Diddy Kong Racing before, so I decided to fire it up and play it for about 45 minutes. Got through the boss stage of Dino Valley or whatever it is, ended up doing two Silver Coin challenges, and my thumb (while held down most of the time) never got mashed. Were you thinking of a different game? This one's not bad at all, for a kart racer it's actually very good for a start!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I've 100%ed DKR many times and never used A mashing. Unless you're going for world record time trials or playing hardcore speedrunners its not something anyone needs to just play the game.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Buyee.jp is my goto.

I've only used it once but experience was good. Just bear in mind, if you didn't already know, that last-second Snipes (or any bids towards the end) extend the auction time a bit to give competing bidders a chance to answer, so it's not like eBay where sniping is a viable strategy to get things for relatively low prices.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Can anyone recommend a yahoo auctions japan proxy service?

I've used http://one-jp.com/ a fair amount and had no problems with them. I dunno how their markup for their services compares to others.

Mace Bacon fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Oct 27, 2016

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Worth remembering that with Buyee sometimes the shipping can get pretty steep, you'll end up paying 500-600 yen for every item sent to Buyee, the Buyee surcharges, and then shipping on top of that. It's not unreasonable imo, but it adds up and can take you offguard cause they charge it all at the end.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Chainclaw posted:

I have no idea what you're talking about and I've beaten DKR multiple times.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Just an FYI, Stoneagegamer is running a Halloween sale with 5% off all flashcarts. Also, I didn't realize they're loyalty program was actually pretty good. I bought a EDN8 a few months ago which gave me 478 tickets that I used for ~$10 off a mega everdrive x3. After discounts it came to around $41 shipped which is not bad at all.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Jimbot posted:

Can anyone recommend some Playstation 1 games that only came out in Japan?

DoDonpachi :getin:

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
I just finished stuffing a Raspberry Pi inside a DMG case and I'm pretty happy with how it came out:

Full build album here. Has anyone else done this? It was a fun project but definitely challenging.
(I hope this is retro enough to be on-topic)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

DeathBySpoon posted:

I just finished stuffing a Raspberry Pi inside a DMG case and I'm pretty happy with how it came out:

Full build album here. Has anyone else done this? It was a fun project but definitely challenging.

That is loving awesome.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

DeathBySpoon posted:

As a huge fan of my Raspberry Pi 2 + RetroPie setup at home (I just spent the last two hours playing Tetris Battle Gaiden on it), I love seeing these. And yours looks really nice and clean!

What kind of battery life do you get out of it? That's always one of my biggest push factors away from trying a project like that myself. While they definitely look and feel cool, I don't see the point if the battery will just die after three hours. And without some kind of battery monitor, I'd be terrified of the power just abruptly dying on the thing and then corrupting my microSD.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Retro Game shadowbox is the new perler beads

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

Drone posted:

As a huge fan of my Raspberry Pi 2 + RetroPie setup at home (I just spent the last two hours playing Tetris Battle Gaiden on it), I love seeing these. And yours looks really nice and clean!

What kind of battery life do you get out of it? That's always one of my biggest push factors away from trying a project like that myself. While they definitely look and feel cool, I don't see the point if the battery will just die after three hours. And without some kind of battery monitor, I'd be terrified of the power just abruptly dying on the thing and then corrupting my microSD.

I plan to give it a real test drive tonight, but during development I didn't have the battery die once, despite leaving it on for fairly large chunks of time to test audio / video. Off the top of my head I'd say at least 5 hours, I'm hoping more. I'm definitely happy with it so far.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Harlock posted:

Retro Game shadowbox is the new perler beads

At least mine had a clever pun involved

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Looking it up again, the car in Diddy Kong Racing goes 90 if you are rapidly tapping the A button, and only 60 if you hold it down. I think the top speed of the airplane and hovercraft are also around 60. I don't know how you could even beat the big pig in the story mode without doing this.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Elliotw2 posted:

It's just going to be the same ISO in Dosbox like it is on GOG. They totally lost the source files years ago, so your best way to play is on the Saturn with an interlaced display honestly.

Why on the Saturn in particular? I would think the interface would be more manageable with a mouse.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

DeathBySpoon posted:

Niice. I was hoping to do one of these in the not-too-distant future, along with a miniNES.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Why on the Saturn in particular? I would think the interface would be more manageable with a mouse.

The Saturn version has the best video quality, with the DOS version being the worst unless you're a huge scanline enthusiast

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Chainclaw posted:

Looking it up again, the car in Diddy Kong Racing goes 90 if you are rapidly tapping the A button, and only 60 if you hold it down. I think the top speed of the airplane and hovercraft are also around 60. I don't know how you could even beat the big pig in the story mode without doing this.

I'm fairly sure I managed to beat the adventure mode in DKR without doing the tapping trick - it just involved a LOT of retries. And really, the big problem is Wizpig 2, which is in the plane, where the tapping won't help.

Unlocking T.T., now there's something that requires it.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Oct 27, 2016

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

rdbbb posted:

The first game is a good intro to what it's all about -- no bells and whistles. I don't know where you heard the GBC one was "best" -- it's great for GBC, but the PS1/DC versions are obviously better ports of the original.

2 is fairly similar so that's not a bad choice either.

After that is when the significant differences kick in. People will probably talk up Drill Land to the high heavens, and it is great, but I don't think it's a good intro for a first-timer since the modes are so distinct and break convention.

I didn't quite "get" Mr. Driller when it first came out, but eventually I went back to it and appreciated it more. You really do have to think strategically, and on your feet, and I don't think it ever communicated that well, but patience pays off.

Thanks, I'll take the plunge on getting a PS1 copy. At least this confirms that I'm not totally nuts for thinking that the DS port (remake?) is not nice to beginners. Perhaps I confused GBC with GBA in terms of which was best? Oh well.

And that Pi Gameboy is totally rad, and probably one of the best form factors you could have for a portable emulator box. Its hard to beat a classic design, though the GBC is probably my favorite game boy shape, if that makes any sense.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Jimbot posted:

Can anyone recommend some Playstation 1 games that only came out in Japan?

Harmful Park
Cyberbots

Europe and Japan:
Vib-Ribbon
Bishi Bashi Special series

Turbinosamente posted:

Thanks, I'll take the plunge on getting a PS1 copy. At least this confirms that I'm not totally nuts for thinking that the DS port (remake?) is not nice to beginners. Perhaps I confused GBC with GBA in terms of which was best? Oh well.

I just got Drill Spirits (the DS game) a couple months ago and have enjoyed it quite a bit. As far as I can tell the only way it's really beginner unfriendly is there just being several different modes, and three of them are basically for people who already fundamentally understand the base game and want to play it with a twist. The main mode starts out easy and each stage ramps up the difficulty; the 1000m stages are basically where the original game tops out (the original ends at 1000m.) Drill Spirits does the thing that a lot of shmups or arcade ports of the last 15-ish years do where playing more lets you unlock items/options that make the game easier to clear, at the expense of not recording your score when you use them. The other games may be easier or have good tutorials, I don't know, but for me it just seems like the sort of game where you have to play it for a bit to get a feel for things.

These play videos of Drill Land touch on some of the game's finer points:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJP_b8O2DGE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48xH9h9XDyE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLnDclZvMX4

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Just plug in the Saturn mouse! :eng101:

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

DeathBySpoon posted:

I'm hoping to, but because I'm a big baby, I'm waiting for this guy to release his all-in-one board: http://sudomod.com/community-spotlight-kites-custom-one-board-build/

That looks to really simplify the build, adds WIFI, and takes care of most of the build for you. Add a speaker and battery, and voila!

Edit - Don't forget tons of drilling and filing and messing up your case and getting angry with your self.

roffels fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Oct 27, 2016

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

Wow, that single board solution is incredible. Would have saved me a ton of work. It looks like I get around 3 hours of battery life, maybe a little bit more. I recorded a video showing it in action here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUzvFmps-x0

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
That looks awesome, maybe I will make one in the spring when I get some time once that single board solution is hammered out and I am not broke from vacation and moving.

One question, is there a quick start function in retroPi where you can just hold a button down on boot or something and it automatically have to go into the last game you played? Or do you have to scroll over and down each time you want to play? I'm inpatient and playing a game in the middle of list would drive me nuts.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I had some time to play with my Revo K101 + and drat do I like this thing. It is built really well and the screen looks super nice. There are lots of long reviews for this thing out there so I'll spare you all the words. For 70 bucks I really like this thing. It plays GBA/GB/GBC/NES games perfectly.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Does the Revo have options to pillarbox the video to fix the aspect issues?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Elliotw2 posted:

Does the Revo have options to pillarbox the video to fix the aspect issues?

Yes it does. I just like running it full screen.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
New EDN8 FW

http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=5818

krikzz posted:

nesos-v14 28.10.2016
1)Fixed MMC4 (glitches in Fire Emblem)
2)New mappers support. 31, 137, 138, 139, 141, 147, 168
3)Removed "audio mix vol" option. Now it always in "Hi" state
4)Removed "Mapper info" menu due the lack of memory space
5)Minor bugfix

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Anyone have a suggestion for a component switch with dual outputs?

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

iastudent posted:

https://www.amazon.com/C2G-40697-Component-TOSLINK-Selector/dp/B000S1CEQ4

I think this is the one the My Life in Gaming guys use. You can see it featured in their setup video here.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

iastudent posted:

I bought one of these Impact 6x2 switches used a while back as it also supports optical audio. Currently I have my PS2, Gamecube, Xbox, Wii, and PSP connected via component, and the PS2, Xbox, modded SNES, PC, and HDMI splitter connected to the optical audio ports. You can either have the same input split to both output channels or a separate input for each output.

Edit: Well poo poo

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Monitor Burn posted:

I bought one of these Impact 6x2 switches used a while back as it also supports optical audio. Currently I have my PS2, Gamecube, Xbox, Wii, and PSP connected via component, and the PS2, Xbox, modded SNES, PC, and HDMI splitter connected to the optical audio ports. You can either have the same input split to both output channels or a separate input for each output.

Edit: Well poo poo

This one should work just as well, right? It's a 3 input/5 output but I only plan to have a couple consoles plugged in at any one time.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Impact-Acou...CkAAOSwh2xYBAC9

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvlFI9Nry3Q

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

This popped up on Youtube: It's a Parker Bros ad for their Atari games from 1982, that aired in theaters before ET. This guy has been uploading all sorts of theater commercials from high-def scans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0i0UKrazow

Is that the first instance of a video game commercial using pre-rendered images to simulate gameplay?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

wa27 posted:

This popped up on Youtube: It's a Parker Bros ad for their Atari games from 1982, that aired in theaters before ET. This guy has been uploading all sorts of theater commercials from high-def scans.

Is that the first instance of a video game commercial using pre-rendered images to simulate gameplay?

Ha! That is awesome.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

wa27 posted:

Wowww, that is downright deceptive. I've heard that one of the reasons that Nintendo featured that huge pixel art on their first-person NES games was to distance themselves from pre-crash cover art that was completely removed from how the games actually looked. Had no idea that extended to commercials as well.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Cover art? They made it look like gameplay in Popeye and Q Bert were on par with Dragon's Lair.

Speaking of NES's pixel art though, are those pixel perfect versions of games or are they also cheating a bit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Monopthalmus posted:

Wowww, that is downright deceptive. I've heard that one of the reasons that Nintendo featured that huge pixel art on their first-person NES games was to distance themselves from pre-crash cover art that was completely removed from how the games actually looked. Had no idea that extended to commercials as well.

In some of the early ones I was wondering if they were showing Atari 800 version footage while implying it was 2600 footage. Then they hit Q*Bert.

falz posted:

Speaking of NES's pixel art though, are those pixel perfect versions of games or are they also cheating a bit?

Popeye's label definitely cheats a bit. Several others such as Excitebike add some speed lines or motion blur.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Oct 30, 2016

• Locked thread