Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Hopper posted:

got my arse handed to me by a werewolf repeatedly, though he was below my level, do these guys regen endlessly?

Are you using the werewolf oil?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Hopper posted:

Today, I heard the Pulp Fiction easter egg conversation in the barons castle, got to admire Keira's boobs and got my arse handed to me by a werewolf repeatedly, though he was below my level, do these guys regen endlessly?

Also is there a way to respec, I am relucatnt to spend points as I don't know if I can modify it later?

Werewolves regen. Used Cursed Oil on your sword. Devil's Puffball bomb creates poison which can mitigate regen, as does the Igni sign with fire (damage over time). Moon Dust bomb prevents regeneration. Check your bestiary!

Yes there are respec potions for 1000 gold a time which is peanuts not too far into the game. Potion Of Clearance can be bought a bunch of places. Keira sells them, as does a merchant in a building on the west of Hierarch Square in Novigrad. You'll find more as you go on.

Konsek fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Oct 30, 2016

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Also yes, you can buy a potion that will let you respec any points.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Nah I forgot I had that, I was doing enough damage but he healed up constantly. Does the oil stop that?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Oil just gives a damage bonus. Moon dust counteracts the regen.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I think I'm at about the same spot as Hopper. Botchlings :stonk:

I'm unsure what kind of build is good? I'm not usually an rpg person.

I've mainly put points in fast attack and cat school, and have been wearing light armor. I'm thinking points into alchemy and maybe the shield sign for a little more durability. Any suggestions?

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009

A Proper Uppercut posted:

I'm unsure what kind of build is good? I'm not usually an rpg person.

I've mainly put points in fast attack and cat school, and have been wearing light armor. I'm thinking points into alchemy and maybe the shield sign for a little more durability. Any suggestions?

A few things I liked while playing through:

1. The mind control sign for special dialog options (typically win button, but....)

2. The alchemy poison enemy with corresponding oil one.

3. The food lasts for 20 minutes one.

4. The one that upgrades the slow trap in the first level/or the melt armor from Igni.

Basically don't worry about synergy and just pick based on your play style. Your choices don't affect your general effectiveness such that you won't be able to get through the game.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I've read an exceptionally good breakdown of what bombs do and which monsters to use which bombs on a few months ago. Most everything I google right now is just "well, I'm guesttimating based on what the bomb's description text says..." and some of it is obviously wrong. Anyone got a good link for bombs?

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
The in-game bestiary.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Wassup fellow disgusted by purple abortions buddy?
While I really liked that quest because killing is not the only way, that triggered my I-don't-do-baby-monsters weak spot.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Stumpus posted:

A few things I liked while playing through:

1. The mind control sign for special dialog options (typically win button, but....)

2. The alchemy poison enemy with corresponding oil one.

3. The food lasts for 20 minutes one.

4. The one that upgrades the slow trap in the first level/or the melt armor from Igni.

Basically don't worry about synergy and just pick based on your play style. Your choices don't affect your general effectiveness such that you won't be able to get through the game.

I'd argue that 1 & 2 are trash - any situation that requires the mind control sign can easily be resolved other ways. I don't think there's any story differences at all that benefit from it. Food is hugely plentiful so you don't need to draw any particular item out. For more serious injuries you'll be using Swallow anyway, an essentially bottomless health potion.

Other opinions are of course available, but I'd say don't worry about it too much. Pretty much every build becomes overpowered fairly quickly and if you really want to respec, there's a number of vendors that sell a potion that lets you do just that. It sounds as if you're going for a pretty solid build with the fast attacks paired with light armour.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

I'd argue that 1 & 2 are trash - any situation that requires the mind control sign can easily be resolved other ways. I don't think there's any story differences at all that benefit from it. Food is hugely plentiful so you don't need to draw any particular item out. For more serious injuries you'll be using Swallow anyway, an essentially bottomless health potion.

Other opinions are of course available, but I'd say don't worry about it too much. Pretty much every build becomes overpowered fairly quickly and if you really want to respec, there's a number of vendors that sell a potion that lets you do just that. It sounds as if you're going for a pretty solid build with the fast attacks paired with light armour.

20 min food eliminated the need for having swallow in your quick slots, lasts a fuckton longer, and actually makes trash food you find later in the game useful. I reccomend it if you are not a dodging savant. Be warned that brown skills dont have a corresponding mutagen for super retarded buffs.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Stumpus posted:

The in-game bestiary.
Are you talking about "a good breakdown of what bombs do and which monsters to use them on?" That's a terrible answer to that particular question.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

MrJacobs posted:

20 min food eliminated the need for having swallow in your quick slots, lasts a fuckton longer, and actually makes trash food you find later in the game useful. I reccomend it if you are not a dodging savant. Be warned that brown skills dont have a corresponding mutagen for super retarded buffs.

Valid point - though also I can't help but feel the brown skills are a waste for the reason you describe and you're not building towards unlocking a higher level of skills in the red, green and blue categories.

With my current alchemist build, I've got the skill that lets you heal from all potions so I'm barely touching food and almost never Swallow.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

MrJacobs posted:

A tip for the new players, when you need health in combat, always eat a food and take a swallow at the same time. Either on their own isn't much but combined gives you a great health regen. Multiple foods or multiple swallows don't stack though.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

Food is hugely plentiful so you don't need to draw any particular item out. For more serious injuries you'll be using Swallow anyway, an essentially bottomless health potion.

On the second hardest difficulty I was able to go through the game on Gourmet alone, without needing Swallow almost at all. It's an incredible quality of life skill, since it means you can chug a bottle of water once a while, and you suddenly don't have to watch out for damage nearly as much, which also means you are less likely to get killed by the ridiculous fall damage.

Quen is very powerful if you are looking for a strong build, because eventually you are likely going to get some items / skills that progressively scale up your damage output as long as you avoid taking hits - and hits against your shield don't count. Also the combat skill that gives you back your health if it gets below zero, as long as you have some adrenaline, is possibly overpowered, because there's also skills to give you free adrenaline, and to give you bunch of adrenaline for dodging.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Oct 30, 2016

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009

Xander77 posted:

Are you talking about "a good breakdown of what bombs do and which monsters to use them on?" That's a terrible answer to that particular question.

The bestiary literally tells you what bomb to use on a given monster. And it's within the game. It's literally the best answer.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Stumpus posted:

The bestiary literally tells you what bomb to use on a given monster. And it's within the game. It's literally the best answer.

I think he's asking for details on the mechanics of each bomb rather than just which bombs to use vs. specific monsters.

I have no idea how many combat stats work and I've 2.5 playthroughs and a couple hundred hours into the game. What does armor penetration do, what is it effective against? How do crit calculations work? What about resistances and armor? No idea.

The combat statistics are overly complicated and pretty opaque, it's one thing I hope they clean up for Cyberpunk and future games. There's a lot of unnecessary stuff that doesn't end up really mattering, just like the crafting system.

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009
Is it me, or do the third-fourth tier skills seem really underwhelming compared to the lower ones?

Sign-wise the first level stuff and the second tier alternate modes seem best. In alchemy I struggle to see anything better than acquired tolerance (by a country mile), poisoned blades, protective coating - all level 1-2 stuff. I guess the combat tree has some decent higher-tier perks. I'm like level 30 and been running with the same active skills since ~20.

In a typical all-skills-active progression the higher tiers would be solid bonuses, but when having to swap out the lower-tier stuff they seem a bit naff.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Personally my issue with the skill system is that swords are such an obvious backbone of any strategy, that the requirement to dump points into other trees to unlock their high level skills makes them non-viable. Or in other words, yes, investing into fourth level skills is not worth it. I need those sweet sword stats, man.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
On bombs:
Use moon dust on wraiths, werewolves, foglets, vampires and leshens.
On humans, grapeshot if you wanna blow people with some gory effects.

Northern wind has some pretty effects and is good versus mobs (humans or monsters).

I normally don't use the others, but these 3 are solid

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Is there any way to tell which merchants I already played Gwent against that are not part of a quest? Quest guys show a yellow/grey quest Gwent sentence but for smiths/merchants it always stays grey no matter whether you win or lose, so if I come back later, how do I know whether I already won or not?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Hopper posted:

Is there any way to tell which merchants I already played Gwent against that are not part of a quest? Quest guys show a yellow/grey quest Gwent sentence but for smiths/merchants it always stays grey no matter whether you win or lose, so if I come back later, how do I know whether I already won or not?

Play them, if they give some random crap instead of a card, you've played them, then try to remember next time.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
In other words no.
Oh well I'll stick to playing them until I win before shopping. That way when the shopping sentence is gray I know I beat them.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

DashingGentleman posted:

In alchemy I struggle to see anything better than acquired tolerance (by a country mile), poisoned blades, protective coating - all level 1-2 stuff.

Those (along refreshment) are by far the best skills (def in the tree, probably in the game). For levels 3-4 you have Delayed Recovery (admittedly more useful before they added that long-lasting food skill), Hunter Instinct for an extra 100% crit damage on any fight worth fighting, the Killing Spree for perma-crits.

I maxed Side Effects exclusively for the chance of a Cat proc while fighting outdoors.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

MikeJF posted:

okay now I want an entire expansion as Vlodimir-in-Geralt

This dancing is great

Vlodimir''s dancing is actually our quest lead (and my boss) Pawel Sasko.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

So I assume that storming the castle in Blood and Wine will start a straight run through to the end? So if I want to finish with the end, I should go do all the sidequests now.

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Vlodimir''s dancing is actually our quest lead (and my boss) Pawel Sasko.

Amazing.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Vlodimir as Geralt is the best

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Mad ups to Pawel.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The one thing I wish this game had is being able to upgrade special swords later on so I could wield the cheese sword forever.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

ZZZorcerer posted:

On bombs:
Use moon dust on wraiths, werewolves, foglets, vampires and leshens.
On humans, grapeshot if you wanna blow people with some gory effects.

Northern wind has some pretty effects and is good versus mobs (humans or monsters).

I normally don't use the others, but these 3 are solid

The fire bomb is great against big creatures like griffins, since it can stunlock them.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

MikeJF posted:

The one thing I wish this game had is being able to upgrade special swords later on so I could wield the cheese sword forever.

I've never used it, but this mod looks like it does what you want.

http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/1112/

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Xander77 posted:

I've read an exceptionally good breakdown of what bombs do and which monsters to use which bombs on a few months ago. Most everything I google right now is just "well, I'm guesttimating based on what the bomb's description text says..." and some of it is obviously wrong. Anyone got a good link for bombs?
http://www.accelerated-ideas.com/news/witcher-3--which-bombs-are-the-best.aspx

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I'm pretty sure the dimetrium bomb also deactivates invisibility on enemies, which the article doesn't mention, and makes it relatively useful since invisibility is the most frustrating enemy ability.

E: Or am I thinking moon dust? I could swear dimetrium does the same thing.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
So, no one wants to create a Gwent thread, so I've decided to make my own. While I go look for blackjack and hookers, does anyone have any hilarious Gwent thread names?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If only you could just have a picture of the Roach card as the name.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
What would you say to a game of Gwent?: *nods head solemnly*

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Megazver posted:

So, no one wants to create a Gwent thread, so I've decided to make my own. While I go look for blackjack and hookers, does anyone have any hilarious Gwent thread names?

Gwent: Nary a nipple in site.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Gwent: Buy and Win Your Friends, Enemies, and Rock Trolls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Hey guys I have a question about NG+.

Are all the enemies in the world set to the same level in NG+ or do they still ramp up in level over time like they do in regular NG, but start from a much higher level?