Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Makes me wonder if there's going to be something that makes Noctis unworthy of the kings' power what's with his weapons disappearing and him fighting by other means for the rest of it.

Also Noctis becoming shirtless and demonic harkens back to the intro of the game that slipped before in which the gang fights the shirtless satan dude sometime in the future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Nina posted:

Makes me wonder if there's going to be something that makes Noctis unworthy of the kings' power what's with his weapons disappearing and him fighting by other means for the rest of it.

Also Noctis becoming shirtless and demonic harkens back to the intro of the game that slipped before in which the gang fights the shirtless satan dude sometime in the future

Tabata and friends said that the events of the trailer aren't things that will happen, but things that must be avoided.

It's one big "Friendship is POWER" trailer. Without the help of his friends, the burden of it all would break him but through hot gay sex, he'll be fine.

Of course that's not to say elements of it won't be relevant.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

I just realized the four boyos are the traditional four elements, only hot gay sexified.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
Monsters + Death spell
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1vgjPTy3jnA

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

You know, in 2000 when I saw Mystery Men that part where Captain Wonderful or whatever has his face horrifying morphed, that was hella creepy. And this death spell is bringing up memories. I'd rather kill them with some amount of honour instead of warping them out of existence like an Elder God.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

DoubleCakes posted:

You know, in 2000 when I saw Mystery Men that part where Captain Wonderful or whatever has his face horrifying morphed, that was hella creepy. And this death spell is bringing up memories. I'd rather kill them with some amount of honour instead of warping them out of existence like an Elder God.

Yeah, turning all of the enemies into slender men is creepy

That Bandersnatch is pretty baller too. I'm really liking the monster designs - both the modernizations of classics and the totally new stuff.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The death spell does seem really strong. I might have to make an effort NOT to use it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

RatHat posted:

The death spell does seem really strong. I might have to make an effort NOT to use it.

The death spell takes a long time depending on the strength of the enemy and it's a late game spell.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

RatHat posted:

Yeah, on the other hand you have to stand totally still, it only hits one enemy, and I'm sure it doesn't work on bosses. I'd be concerned if that ring doesn't have any cost tho - mp or corrupting your soul or something.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Yeah, on the other hand you have to stand totally still, it only hits one enemy, and I'm sure it doesn't work on bosses. I'd be concerned if that ring doesn't have any cost tho - mp or corrupting your soul or something.

It costs a lot of mp per second.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

:prepop:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I'm still a bit skeptical about whether FFXV will actually be released

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Getting tax returns, a christmas bonus from work and FFXV on the same month.

:feelsgood:

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Augus posted:

I'm still a bit skeptical about whether FFXV will actually be released

Tabata is already playing Civ6 so it must be finished.

I did hear an odd complaint from a Japanese gamer the other day that the player outfits feel "outdated, like something you might see in a Matrix movie." That is probably the most irrelevant thing to me personally but I guess that's the cost of 10 year dev cycles.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Nah, if he's citing The Matrix, it's way further back than that. 15 has that kind of fantasy cyberpunk jam, right? It makes sense, then, considering our cyberpunk clothing design hasn't really changed in the past twenty years.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

fantasy cyberpunk

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

I want to dress up all my boys in comfy casualwear

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

SSB4 Shulk's twink outfit on all four of them please

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Can someone break down all of the different combat modes in FFXV? Supposedly the game gives players very different options of how to play, such as a turn-based mode? The marketing hasn't shown this at all.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

I've heard absolutely nothing about that. As far as I know the real time combat is all there is.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

They're talking about wait mode, which isn't really a seperate combat system, just an option for the game to pause so you can think through each attack if you're not so good at the whole action thing.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Can someone break down all of the different combat modes in FFXV? Supposedly the game gives players very different options of how to play, such as a turn-based mode? The marketing hasn't shown this at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lp6_prJYhQc

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

I forgot about Wait Mode actually. It's kind of another mechanic that makes the game feel even more like console Dragon Age.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the trailer going on about all the tactical depth of wait mode makes it sound like they should have made it default

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

AlphaKretin posted:

They're talking about wait mode, which isn't really a seperate combat system, just an option for the game to pause so you can think through each attack if you're not so good at the whole action thing.

It doesn't even seem like a "not so good at action" setting. From how they presented it, it looks like wait mode might even be the ~optimal~ way to play it.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

If you're bad at video games, maybe :cmon:

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Terper posted:

If you're bad at video games, maybe :cmon:

I peaked at SMB1

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Fhqwhgads posted:

It doesn't even seem like a "not so good at action" setting. From how they presented it, it looks like wait mode might even be the ~optimal~ way to play it.

Maybe if you want to spend 200 hours going through the story because you take every fight at a snail's pace. I'm looking forward to XV's battle system because of it looks like it will play similarly to Kingdom Hearts, though not the same, of course. I like that fast-paced kind of chaos against huge enemies or with magic flying everywhere. Wait mode looks like it'll be a crutch if you're hitting a brick wall and aren't a pro DMC player.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Fhqwhgads posted:

No kidding. Wait mode seems to be the only way to reliably aim warp strike too. I imagine it'll be pretty essential if higher difficulties make the game a lot tougher

Shoren posted:

Maybe if you want to spend 200 hours going through the story because you take every fight at a snail's pace. I'm looking forward to XV's battle system because of it looks like it will play similarly to Kingdom Hearts, though not the same, of course. I like that fast-paced kind of chaos against huge enemies or with magic flying everywhere. Wait mode looks like it'll be a crutch if you're hitting a brick wall and aren't a pro DMC player.

Honestly DMC skills aren't much use in FFXV. The combat system with its auto-attacks and loose dodges is very far from an action game like that.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Wait mode seems like that thing I turn on during boss battles with multiple parts.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Terper posted:

fantasy cyberpunk

We'd like to :rock:ride that chocobobo:rock:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Tae posted:

Wait mode seems like that thing I turn on during boss battles with multiple parts.

seems like you can just turn it on and forget its on until you need it and then theres a button to activate it.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

If you have Wait mode on, any time you're in battle and you're not performing an action (pressing a button, moving the L-stick) then it will pause. It's the reverse of button-activated.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Nina posted:

No kidding. Wait mode seems to be the only way to reliably aim warp strike too. I imagine it'll be pretty essential if higher difficulties make the game a lot tougher

Honestly DMC skills aren't much use in FFXV. The combat system with its auto-attacks and loose dodges is very far from an action game like that.

Yeah, I know that XV will be anything but DMC (it's definitely more RPG than action game), but the abilities that make people good at DMC (like good reflexes and timing) would still have a benefit. Wait mode flattens that skill gap so that anyone can tackle any battle without a handicap, so long as you're able to make the same good decisions during the wait period.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Terper posted:

If you have Wait mode on, any time you're in battle and you're not performing an action (pressing a button, moving the L-stick) then it will pause. It's the reverse of button-activated.

oh that sucks

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

You can literally beat dmc with guns (some websites have done this), you do the more advanced stuff for better grades. Which is probably the same in FF15. You never need to do anything complicated in most rpgs to beat them anyway.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My bad! I completely missed this. Will there be difficulty settings?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

There's Normal Mode and Easy Mode, and some way to reduce levels/stop you from gaining exp (you could also just never camp). No hard mode yet, but maybe as DLC, Tabata has said.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Tae posted:

You can literally beat dmc with guns (some websites have done this), you do the more advanced stuff for better grades. Which is probably the same in FF15. You never need to do anything complicated in most rpgs to beat them anyway.

I don't think that's really comparable though since all the games save for DMC2 were balanced to make that kind of play painfully inefficient to the point nobody sensible would attempt it.

It happens sometimes but I rarely see RPGs challenge you to play better. TWEWY was probably SE's best attempt since the difficulty system always offered a really tangible boon for pushing your limits and I'm saddened that they haven't reused a similar system since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

they challenge you to grind until your bad strategy works if you can't figure out what to do

• Locked thread