Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I refuse to believe that people saying THIS set of email headlines is the reason they aren't going to vote against Donald "White Supremacy" Trump were going to drag their asses to the polls anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
Senate for those 4 states

McCain +5
Bennet (D) +5
North Carolina tied
McGinty (D) +3

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
In the extremely accurate history documentary Crusader Kings 2, playing as a Byzantine ruler allows you to castrate or blind your political enemies. Just sayin'

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Quorum posted:

We take a break from arguing whether or not the Statue of Liberty is a Klan member to bring you this SNEAK PREVIEW of Game Change III, coming to your local bookstore next summer:

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/792704892821536768

And here's the reporting from the night he spent "stranded" in Indy.

And some people thought this was the "best timeline" :sad:

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Crow Jane posted:

In the extremely accurate history documentary Crusader Kings 2, playing as a Byzantine ruler allows you to castrate or blind your political enemies. Just sayin'

This is probably the most historically-accurate thing about Crusader Kings 2. And Hillary has been accused of wanting to castrate her political foes... :tinfoil:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

gfsincere posted:

It's a statue of a white woman welcoming other white people to a land that wasn't theirs in the first place.

What's inspirational about that?

I dunno, maybe you should ask the many groups of disadvantaged, downtrodden, oppressed, or genocided people who came to America for a better life. The Irish, the Hmong, Jews, Somalis, etc. I know we all hate America here, but you can't deny that it genuinely has been a beacon of freedom and opportunity to many oppressed peoples

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
Nate Silver fretted about something interesting the other day. There's probably just enough time for us to see the reaction to the email poo poo by the middle of this next week, but there's probably not enough time for us to see the impact of discovering that Comey is an idiot and the scandal is probably bullshit.

So the polls may tighten, but they might not be able to show them widen again.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Guy Goodbody posted:

I dunno, maybe you should ask the many groups of disadvantaged, downtrodden, oppressed, or genocided people who came to America for a better life. The Irish, the Hmong, Jews, Somalis, etc. I know we all hate America here, but you can't deny that it genuinely has been a beacon of freedom and opportunity to many oppressed peoples
The US is pretty okay, as far as nations go. And while at it's worst it's pretty bad, at it's best, it's been actually the best!

Saying this as a German tho so ymmv

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Quorum posted:

The evening of inauguration day, President Hillary Clinton invites all of the House Republicans to watch an exhibition match at RFK Stadium-- sponsored, of course, by Nike. The sound system plays broken snippets of Trump speeches on a tortured loop. The members of the House Freedom Caucus are getting antsy. "Let's just go make some second amendment solutions," one is heard to say. As they move to leave, they find all of the gates closed, except for one... and Hillary, resplendent in her purple pantsuit, doesn't so much as smile as she signals the National Guard to move in.

Hillary is surely a fan of the Blues, right?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Quorum posted:

This is probably the most historically-accurate thing about Crusader Kings 2. And Hillary has been accused of wanting to castrate her political foes... :tinfoil:

I've been thinking about trying to recreate Trump in the Ruler Designer (traits: Wroth, Glutton, Paranoid, Cruel, Dull), sticking him in some backwater province and just letting the game roll, making every bad decision along the way. Could be interesting to see how quickly everything would go to poo poo

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Apologies if this has already been mentioned in the past 29312089 pages or is completely obvious to everyone else, but it just hit me how the Hillary emails attack is not just disingenuous and completely political (obvious to everyone), but also completely loving stupid and logically inconsistent.

At absolute worst, if you believe everything leveled against Hillary, she was completely negligent in every way, but did not purposely mishandle anything. DONALD loving TRUMP ASKED RUSSIA TO HACK MORE EMAILS AND RELEASE THEM. Jesus loving christ I hate this goddamn election.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

A rated pollster Siena has Trump +5 in FL....seems like a major outlier but there have been three polls in the last week in FL that now show him slightly ahead.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Northjayhawk posted:

Nate Silver fretted about something interesting the other day. There's probably just enough time for us to see the reaction to the email poo poo by the middle of this next week, but there's probably not enough time for us to see the impact of discovering that Comey is an idiot and the scandal is probably bullshit.

So the polls may tighten, but they might not be able to show them widen again.

i'd love to widen some Poles.

oh you said polls.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
Question:

If Duckworth became President in the future, would they give her bionic legs?

Question:

Would this make Duckworth the first cyborg President?

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

nachos posted:

These people wouldn't have voted HRC anyway. There is literally nothing of substance in this new "investigation" so they were basically waiting for the word email to pop in a headline to justify not voting Clinton.

It's not the substance of the issue - it's the overwhelmingly negative media coverage.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Crow Jane posted:

Try as I might, I can't come up with any reason to be mad about the emails.

Because the only thing being reported is "here are some emails". There's absolutely nothing to suggest that there's anything damaging or illegal to them. Jesus Christ. In the future let's just make all emails from every public official available online for us to scrutinize.

I woke up yesterday and heard all about this "horrible scandal" and then, after reading several articles about it, I couldn't find the bombshell or anything about why this was so important. The whole thing is loving stupid and positively reeks of the media looking for the horse race narrative and attempting to generate controversy.

If something comes out from them, I'll eat crow but as it stands it just looks like some emails were sent to and from Weiner, Huma and Clinton. So loving what?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

FlamingLiberal posted:

A rated pollster Siena has Trump +5 in FL....seems like a major outlier but there have been three polls in the last week in FL that now show him slightly ahead.

Its an interesting switch and I am not entirely sure why it happened. I don't want to scream outlier, but there also hasn't really been any cause you can point to for it happening.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Stretch Marx posted:

Question:

Question:

Yes on both counts. Though I'm pretty sure she is in fact a Physical Adept (of Wise Warrior, or possibly Fire-Bringer), in which case she won't want to pick up too much cyberware, it'll dampen her Essence.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
It's the oldest political trick in the book. Force your opponent to deny wrongdoing, which is just as bad as your opponent doing something wrong.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

FDR was our first steampunk president

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Wikkheiser posted:

It's the oldest political trick in the book. Force your opponent to deny wrongdoing, which is just as bad as your opponent doing something wrong.

Arguably in some cases worse. Much of Donnie-boy's appearance of being bulletproof this election springs from his utter refusal to acknowledge his own wrong-doing, even to apologize for or deny it.

OddObserver posted:

Hillary is surely a fan of the Blues, right?

well she definitely doesn't get along with the Greens

Quorum fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Oct 30, 2016

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Night10194 posted:

Honestly, I don't think this is correct or true.

I think what we're seeing with Trump is how heavy partisan polarization has become. They KNOW he's a piece of poo poo. Look at how few people will say he has the temperament or qualifications to be president in polls, even polls he's doing okay in. Just, well, he's got that R. Any R candidate would get the same at this point, Trump's just an extreme example.

More than half of the people polled voting for him have admitted that they're doing so just to keep Clinton out of the White House. So yeah, we have reached the point where the right wing is comprised of roughly sixty percent people who would accept anything, even a rapist likely to end the world in nuclear fire on a whim, rather is than not have total control over government. The other forty percent are excited about all that and the idea of being freely racist, sexist bullies on top of all that.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Might be an outlier, might not, but the key information at this point are the voter registration demographics which show a decrease in white voters and an increase in Hispanic voters from 2012.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Stretch Marx posted:

Question:

Question:

Will the GoP, having learned nothing from the bitter fruit of the Southern Strategy, make the rights of cybernetic people their new wedge issue? Signs point to yes.

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The crazy thing is how quickly everyone forgets each new trump scandal. Oh he's a racist? that was so six months ago. Oh he's a rapist? That was so two weeks ago.

It's like the whole goddam country has a traumatic brain injury and can't focus on anything for more than three seconds.
About 22% of people over 65 have significant cognitive deficits, and a third of those are memory deficits.

This is in the age group that's most disposed to vote Trump AND most likely to vote period. Any news that causes them to move away from him won't stick, and they'll slowly drift back. This obviously doesn't hold for all seniors.

Also, at this point, Trump's said just about everything idiotic he can come up with, so nothing he says is really "news" anymore.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
There needs to be some sort of shift in the sphere of journalism where every reporter needs to ask themselves, 'am I actually reporting on something or reporting on the optics of something' and if it's the latter smash their hand with a hammer until the desire goes away.

it's been so god damned frustrating watch nothing-story after nothing-story make the rounds through the press and get way more play than it should carried entirely on journalists repeating 'boy this sure looks bad it's actually nothing but wow it sure looks bad how are voters responding to this?' over and over

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Whoever gets elected in 2024 will preside over the country during the events of Deus Ex: Human Revolution so Duckworth would be especially appropriate then.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Some interesting polling numbers here:

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Necc0 posted:

There needs to be some sort of shift in the sphere of journalism where every reporter needs to ask themselves, 'am I actually reporting on something or reporting on the optics of something' and if it's the latter smash their hand with a hammer until the desire goes away.

it's been so god damned frustrating watch nothing-story after nothing-story make the rounds through the press and get way more play than it should carried entirely on journalists repeating 'boy this sure looks bad it's actually nothing but wow it sure looks bad how are voters responding to this?' over and over

Then you should probably lobby for more publicly funded journalism, because as it stands it's useless to accuse the journalists when in reality most of them don't have full editorial control over what they publish anyway in the for-profit journalism business.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
Glass half full: If Trump is destined to lose, its better for the GOP that he gets wiped out. A close loss would be a total loving disaster for Republicans. He would then of course blame GOP leaders for holding him down, his moron base will believe it, and the party's civil war would be on.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I agree that the effect of Emails Part X: Electric Boogaloo is that some Trump voters go from :negative: to :hist101:

They were :negative: due to weeks of coverage since the debates/Access Hollywood showing Trump dead.

They become :hist101: without any substance needed behind the story except there's media coverage saying "something going on, bad for Clinton!"

Broadcast media is totally complicit in that the Trump Trainwreck narrative was getting stale for them and were going to JUMP at any opportunity to HORSERACE IT UP again, they don't care about the substance of it any more than the RedHats.

I mean, Jesus, on the day the story dropped, there were reporters on the air wondering what would happen if Clinton had to go to jail before the election or had to drop out of the race, for gently caress's sake.

So you get a bump in GOP side enthusiasm and turnout. Hopefully it will get a chance to wane a bit before actual election day, if the media or events give it a chance to peter out at all. It could diminish Senate chances and cost a very close state or two, maybe a winnable one like AZ, hopefully not one as big as FL.

The frustrating thing is that it seems to literally only take someone going "OOGA BOOGA EMAILS!" without any new substance, to cause this. Our democracy is literally that fragile. Sheesh.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Necc0 posted:

Unfortunately, I think most journalists are more concerned with 'will I have a job tomorrow of I don't jump on this immediately and in a way that doesn't piss off the ownership?' then anything else.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

DaveWoo posted:

Some interesting polling numbers here:

Seems like good news to me unless I am missing something

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

BiggerBoat posted:

If something comes out from them, I'll eat crow but as it stands it just looks like some emails were sent to and from Weiner, Huma and Clinton. So loving what?
You know what the funny part is? They weren't even sent to or from Clinton, just Huma - Weiner's wife at the time. And the FBI doesn't even know what's in them because they need a court order. In a sane world this sort of election-throwing behaviour from an FBI director would be flat-out illegal.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Northjayhawk posted:

Glass half full: If Trump is destined to lose, its better for the GOP that he gets wiped out. A close loss would be a total loving disaster for Republicans. He would then of course blame GOP leaders for holding him down, his moron base will believe it, and the party's civil war would be on.

Yeah but a close loss (never mind a WIN God forbid) is also a disaster for the rest of us in various important ways. GOP Senate can prevent court nominations or any decent legislation, emboldens the deploreables to be racist shits and to cause trouble in various ways, etc.

Can anyone explain the discrepancy between Democrats utilizing Early Voting and Republicans using Election Day voting much more?

The only sensible reason I can think of is a much higher proportion of old and retired people among GOP voters who have all day to get their vote in and thus don't sweat going early to make sure they can vote at all.

That, and the fact that Democratic constituencies recognize that they are much more likely to be the target of voter suppression and various forms of fuckery, i.e. don't take as much for granted their ability to vote, and are more anxious to take any available opportunity to get their vote in.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

botany posted:

Then you should probably lobby for more publicly funded journalism, because as it stands it's useless to accuse the journalists when in reality most of them don't have full editorial control over what they publish anyway in the for-profit journalism business.

I donate to my local NPR member station but they're being just as bad.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

pumpinglemma posted:

You know what the funny part is? They weren't even sent to or from Clinton, just Huma - Weiner's wife at the time. And the FBI doesn't even know what's in them because they need a court order. In a sane world this sort of election-throwing behaviour from an FBI director would be flat-out illegal.

Oh, well, since you put it that way I guess I better vote for Trump just in case. Kidding aside, I don't see the story here; like at all. Or is it just "heh heh Weiner is a scumbag and his penis"?

Too late. +1 in Florida early voting - straight Democratic ticket.

Saeka
Jul 2, 2007

I'm a man that loves the simple things. Sunhats. Boba. Dresses.

Because if you put Clinton and Emails in a headline, you get paiiiiiiid

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Zwabu posted:

Can anyone explain the discrepancy between Democrats utilizing Early Voting and Republicans using Election Day voting much more?

The only sensible reason I can think of is a much higher proportion of old and retired people among GOP voters who have all day to get their vote in and thus don't sweat going early to make sure they can vote at all.
Yeah, being affluent/retired affording you more scheduling flexibility than the working poor is the main thrust I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

New poll from NYT showing Trump up by 4 in Florida. But Trump can't possibly win right? No need to worry.

• Locked thread