Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

The White Dragon posted:

I was gonna suggest maybe strongly weighting the AI against attacking city-states since it's more to everyone's advantage to get their envoy bonuses, but not increasing their beefiness would just make it easier for the player to roll CSes instead. Maybe a little bit of both.

I kinda agree in that I think civics could use to be stronger. Maybe give time bonuses to civic cards, too. The way they are now, it feels like only a couple are really useful and the rest are just junk. Buildings at holy sites produce +1 Faith, oh whoa, I have four holy sites producing like 100 faith and that civic increases it by a whole 16 faith per turn :geno:

I dunno about you, but I'd definitely take that one over, say, "buildings in industrial and academic districts produce +8 gold" no choice there

What social policy is that? I swear I've seen it before, but the wikis and civopedia and civics tree aren't helping any.

I'd say that policy is a little better than it looks, in particular if you have "Feed the World" as your follower belief, where faith from your religious district buildings generates food. Although Simultaneum which doubles faith gen by buildings clearly trumps it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

So I guess I can't check the Civlopedia without loading/starting a game?

Of all the tiny inconsequential quality of life features... that and no renaming cities. Ugh.

EDIT: Lol the Civlopedia Desert Hills entry: "about the only thing desert hills are good for is defending in a battle. Unfortunately, the Bedouins, Tuaregs, Berbers, and other desert tribesmen tended to just charge wildly down them."

Haha idiot fucker tribesmen don't deserve to be civs

PoontifexMacksimus fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Oct 30, 2016

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

I'm feeling the Civ itch for the first time in years. Despite putting >1000 hours into Civ 4, Civ V never really clicked for me and I never bothered to check out Beyond Earth. I have Civ V and (I think) all of the major expansions, but I'm willing to pick up either VI or BE if it's a better experience. What's the thread consensus on the best post-Civ IV game to play right now?

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I haven't successfully played a Civ game since Alpha Centauri, how many hours will it take to pick this up?

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

Cockblocktopus posted:

I'm feeling the Civ itch for the first time in years. Despite putting >1000 hours into Civ 4, Civ V never really clicked for me and I never bothered to check out Beyond Earth. I have Civ V and (I think) all of the major expansions, but I'm willing to pick up either VI or BE if it's a better experience. What's the thread consensus on the best post-Civ IV game to play right now?

Definitely 6. It has a lot of annoying oversights right now but I already prefer it to V. BE had some interesting ideas but ultimately wasn't that great.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

I haven't successfully played a Civ game since Alpha Centauri, how many hours will it take to pick this up?

You will have it figured out by the end of you second game. You'll be done with it by your third.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Peas and Rice posted:

How do you get another civ to un-denounce you? Does it just take time to wear off, like in Civ 5? There seems to be no diplomatic function to say "hey, let's be pals again!"

There's actually a timer on the denunciation listed on the diplomacy screen, if you mouse over your relationship (where it says "denounced" it will say "for X more turns" on mouseover).

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
The thing I don't like about religion is that early religions are awarded to production-intensive cities rather than faith-intensive cities, and that seems both off-flavor and also unfair at higher difficulties when the AI gets production bonuses

You have the perfect faith start with lots of tundra and mountains and the Dead Sea and nearby Kandy and Jerusalem and goody huts full of faith? Too bad, all the early religions are going to the dudes who settled near hills and cranked out holy sites/Stonehenge faster than you

Enjoy playing second fiddle for the rest of your clearly religious game

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I got an ironclad from a great admiral really early in my current game, and have been rampaging around the world single handedly capturing multiple cities with it... Until I now realized it can't heal. It has like 10% health left.

What might be preventing me from healing? Not having researched the tech to build an ironclad yet?

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

JVNO posted:

I got an ironclad from a great admiral really early in my current game, and have been rampaging around the world single handedly capturing multiple cities with it... Until I now realized it can't heal. It has like 10% health left.

What might be preventing me from healing? Not having researched the tech to build an ironclad yet?

You have no coal. You need coal to heal it.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
This mod may be of interest, since it gives you some semblance of the Civ5 city screen.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

Away all Goats posted:

I hope they revamp the whole civics system. There are so many choices and every one feels so inconsequential except for a few like the 2 extra builder charges.

It'd be nice if they strengthened a lot of them, but make them exclusive by government type.

Civics are one of the best things about civ6 and they pretty much define your game.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Magil Zeal posted:

To me, this feels like a strange design choice given that religious victory is a thing. I'm not sure I like it that you can't even compete in the religious game if you don't happen to beeline religion. Most other systems at least give you the ability to catch up. It almost feels like it's just a holdover from V rather than an attempt to fit it into the new game.

It's the same way in Civ 5. Finite religions is not a new thing :shrug:

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Captain Oblivious posted:

It's the same way in Civ 5. Finite religions is not a new thing :shrug:

Yes, that might be why I specifically referred to it as "a holdover from V". I just don't think it makes sense with religious victory being what it is.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
There needs to be a way for non religious civs to combat religion, or at least opt into religions.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

i haven't encountered a problem that can't be solved by teching hard and bulldozing all the AI's horsemen with infantry or carpet-nuking from subs.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Cockblocktopus posted:

6 removes a lot of the dumb poo poo from 5 and introduces some neat concepts, but I'd strongly recommend waiting a few months to see how many of the game's glaring flaws actually get fixed.

E: this is not a recommendation that you get Civ 5

FeculentWizardTits fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 30, 2016

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I'd go for civ 5 until the biggest issues with 6 are fixed.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

"deer have been hunted by primitives with spears (or now guns) for necessity and sport forever."

"freshwater fish were regularly consumed by prehistoric primitives."

The Civlopedia can be weird. Like with using "primitives" to refer to behaviourally modern humans.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Decrepus posted:

You will have it figured out by the end of you second game. You'll be done with it by your third.

You know I kinda feel this way. I was really excited for this game, and it was fun at first. But something about the game just lost my interest very quickly. Maybe because it feels too board game-y or maybe the AI is really awful... I can't really put my finger on it.

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop
I'm having an okay time with this, so far, but I can't say I much like the amenity and housing systems. V was a lot easier to get to grips with. Talking of which, a little help?

^^The Galapagos islands, just offshore there, give that coastal square +2 science. I could build a harbour either in that or the adjacent ones. Am I right to assume building a harbour on the one with the science bonus would erase that bonus, or would my citizen working the harbour reap that as well?

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
Is there any way to remove/harvest Truffles? I have them on a hill next to two mountain tiles, and built with the assumption I could eat/cover that tile with a Campus but it's both grayed out and my builders can't remove the feature. Does Medieval Rome lack the technology to build a school by some mushrooms?

EDIT: Also, I keep restarting the game when I hit Medieval era or so. I always get bogged down with options and have no idea what to do, and that is also around the time that civilizations hate me for city-state or border nonsense, or for warmongering if I'm playing an early war civ and beat a couple people up in the first hundred turns because they get annoyed and war with me off and on forever after. Anyway, [b]is there a general flowchart for what I should be shooting for for, say, Trajan or Qin Shi Huang? I like their styles but like I said I feel like I'm getting bogged down after a bit.

Locke Dunnegan fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Oct 30, 2016

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

See, I like all the complex systems in the game because I can definitely see the benefits of making the right decisions. I do feel like maybe currently the best decisions are nearly always the same (production is so slow, so focusing on production via overlapping factories and internal trade, beelining Industrialization is nearly always my first Industrial era tech ignoring most of the Renaissance and some Medieval). Incidentally, since I always spam Commercial Hubs and Industrial Zones as a result, this means the Industrial and Commercial city-states are always my CS of choice aside from the occasional unique bonus priority (though Toronto and Zanzibar already fall into those categories). But the new amenities and housing system feels like a huge step up for me over global happiness. I hated global happiness. It may have been easy to understand but it was still dumb and wrong.

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Is there any way to remove/harvest Truffles? I have them on a hill next to two mountain tiles, and built with the assumption I could eat/cover that tile with a Campus but it's both grayed out and my builders can't remove the feature. Does Medieval Rome lack the technology to build a school by some mushrooms?

You can't harvest luxuries or strategic resources. You can only harvest bonus resources.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

As far as the Civ 5 vs 6 discussion goes, if you're on the fence right now, just get Civ 5. You can get the complete edition for $10 and all the mods like community balance pack are out there already. Play a poo poo ton of that for cheap. Civ 6 has a lot of problems right now and is hard to find for cheaper than $50, so wait for it to come down in price. If Civ 5 is any indicator, it surely will.

Now, back to Civ 6. I never founded a religon, but is there a way I can hijack (and improve) the religion of another civ I wiped out?

VulgarandStupid fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 30, 2016

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

I have to say that I find this game much worse than Civ 5, things seem to bog down very quickly and I don't get the sense of momentum I got from other Civ games.

Districts are a cool idea, but their massive production costs means that it takes way too long to make them. I just keep restarting because I get bored and don't care about finishing the game, it seems like too much of a chore, and I keep hoping next time will be different.

I'm hoping an expansion pack will improve on it, like with the other civs, but this is the first time I find it a chore to play these games rather than pulling me in.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sedge and Bee posted:

Districts are a cool idea, but their massive production costs means that it takes way too long to make them. I just keep restarting because I get bored and don't care about finishing the game, it seems like too much of a chore, and I keep hoping next time will be different.

As is often the case, the early part of the game goes by too quickly, and the late part of the game goes by too slowly. I keep restarting because I can never get a good, solid, satisfactory-feeling start. Probably a personal failing.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

prefect posted:

As is often the case, the early part of the game goes by too quickly, and the late part of the game goes by too slowly. I keep restarting because I can never get a good, solid, satisfactory-feeling start. Probably a personal failing.

Yeah, it's sort of the same thing for me. In Civ 5 by mid game I would have a plan of how I was going to win, based on how things had gone to that point. But I keep hitting Renaissance Era, and I don't have any strategy beyond focus on production and keep building units so that the leaders who hate me for no reason can't overrun me. Then it seems pointless to keep going.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Fryhtaning posted:

They're good for one thing only - removing unwanted religions from your own cities. They can't even go in the territory of your opponents. So if you conquer a bunch of cities from an opponent, start an inquisition and watch their cities' original religion fall like dominoes for the price of around 2 apostles - one to start the inquisition, and something like 6 or 7 inquisitors for the price of one apostle that would otherwise barely make a dent in your newly-conquered cities' original religions.

sniping enemy apostles gives a big bonus to your religion in nearby cities, while subtracting from the religion of the apostle. this makes inquisitor rushes very handy in certain situatons.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

simple solution: start a game in the modern era.

districts will be at their base cost and it seems like they never scale, so you can build them in 1 turn no matter what basically

plus you'll get to play with stuff you usually don't since the AI is crap, and at least it will start with some parity instead of being ages behind

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Sedge and Bee posted:

I have to say that I find this game much worse than Civ 5, things seem to bog down very quickly and I don't get the sense of momentum I got from other Civ games.

I'm hoping an expansion pack will improve on it, like with the other civs, but this is the first time I find it a chore to play these games rather than pulling me in.

I agree with most of this, but I think a good balance patch is all the game needs. I think the game is feature rich enough for now to be fun without an expansion pack.

Districts do need to be cheaper. I play in online speed, and they still take too long. Lowering the cost of districts should be fine since they are already restricted in numbers by population. The designers seem intent on forcing city specialization with the high production costs, but that can still be achieved because of the population restriction on districts. As it stands now, it seems insane to build certain expensive buildings on expensive districts, and I often build the oldest available building for expediency instead of investing 25 turns to build a district and building combination for a building that will gain me 3 gold.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
I don't think this will knock Civ IV off the first spot in my favorite Civilization list. There are too many issues with the AI and how it handles (or fails to handle) 1upt for that to happen.

But I prefer it to Civ V by far I have to say (a thousand times more if we were to compare it to Civ V without expansions). It needs some patches and some balancing for sure but the mechanics that were added and changed since Civ are almost all very welcome in my book. I do miss something like the World Congress from the end-game but otherwise the game feels surprisingly "feature complete" upon its release.

Again, it needs some balancing, some bug fixing and some exploits removed but I don't think I'll ever play Civ V before this again (Civ IV will definitely get more playtime though).

I do prefer the Civ V artstyle though. Especially the leaders.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Has anyone been playing on marathon?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Cockblocktopus posted:

Buy 5 and both expansions when they are on sale.

Wait a few patches before getting 6.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

euphronius posted:

Has anyone been playing on marathon?

I turned on "automatic end-of-turn" for a little while and regretted it almost immediately. :saddowns:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I have 6 cities with about 3-4 districts each and my single spy can only protect ONE freaking district in ONE city at the time? But at least I can redeploy it very often. So very very often. :negative:

Also gently caress Saladin with a flaming chessboard because that fucker sent over 8 apostles in a big group swarming over me.

It's like the game is "balanced" around you getting all of the city state bonuses but since the AI loves to conquer them you might end up with no money or production ones at all if they were the unlucky ones to spawn closer. This game...

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I loving love the unstacking/district system in this game. A well planned city is just immensely satisfying to some obsessive autist part of my brain.

Great Barrier reef enclosing the bay, providing bonuses for my Holy Site, a poo poo load of Stone, a perfect spot for a campus just out of border range to the northwest. I especially love using Aqueducts to bring in water from the mountains. :allears:

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Poil posted:

I have 6 cities with about 3-4 districts each and my single spy can only protect ONE freaking district in ONE city at the time? But at least I can redeploy it very often. So very very often. :negative:

Also gently caress Saladin with a flaming chessboard because that fucker sent over 8 apostles in a big group swarming over me.

It's like the game is "balanced" around you getting all of the city state bonuses but since the AI loves to conquer them you might end up with no money or production ones at all if they were the unlucky ones to spawn closer. This game...

IMO weakening city-states is one of the best parts of the game; in a recent game I burned down La Venta and settled two really nice cities in its displacement zone. I'd go to the ends of the earth to keep Zanzibar alive, though.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Krazyface posted:

IMO weakening city-states is one of the best parts of the game; in a recent game I burned down La Venta and settled two really nice cities in its displacement zone. I'd go to the ends of the earth to keep Zanzibar alive, though.

Bless Zanzibar and Buenos Aires

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I give up promising anything other than to stop spying, it's all to finicky. Agree to not settle near someone and settle anywhere at all, betrayal!

Used one apostle charge on a Japan (not realizing they founded a religion and lost it.) He asks me to stop, I agree, next turn I 'broke my promise' because his city already converted.

Later I captured a city directly bordering Japan and he asked me to move my troops from his border. Many turns later I moved 1 infantry back into the city tile and 'broke my promise' by literally moving a unit into my own city. :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Sanctum posted:

I give up promising anything other than to stop spying, it's all to finicky. Agree to not settle near someone and settle anywhere at all, betrayal!

Used one apostle charge on a Japan (not realizing they founded a religion and lost it.) He asks me to stop, I agree, next turn I 'broke my promise' because his city already converted.

Later I captured a city directly bordering Japan and he asked me to move my troops from his border. Many turns later I moved 1 infantry back into the city tile and 'broke my promise' by literally moving a unit into my own city. :gonk:

When your cities border other civ's and you have them on your side of the border and they get all weird about you having troops 'on their border' motherfucker you have about 15 troops on your side the least I can do is have the same on my side.