Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
An interesting theory I read is that Mika shot 4 times because he was using his non-dominant hand and only had 1 eye to aim, not because of his usual "Make sure they're dead" reasoning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I am really excited to see a Mobile Armor on the protagonist side.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

I am really excited to see a Mobile Armor on the protagonist side.

Seems it'll be a seriously evil-looking fucker, too.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Looks like Metal Gear RAY to me.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Tae posted:

An interesting theory I read is that Mika shot 4 times because he was using his non-dominant hand and only had 1 eye to aim, not because of his usual "Make sure they're dead" reasoning.

Thats actually interesting because when I first saw it I thought he shot his usual three rounds. On rewatch, yeah he shot 4 times.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

In my heart of hearts that is a modern take on the Big Zam.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Raxivace posted:

Looks like Metal Gear RAY to me.

Rules of Nature when?

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
I finally get it. I'm watching scarface. Orga is Al Pacino.

Mikazuki is his balls.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ka0 posted:

I finally get it. I'm watching scarface. Orga is Al Pacino.

Mikazuki is his balls.

"You need people like me. You need people like me so you can point your fuckin' fingers and say, "That's the bad guy." So... what that make you? Good? You're not good. You just know how to hide, how to lie. Me, I don't have that problem. Me, I always tell the truth." does seem appropriate to Mikazuki.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I hope there's less incest than in Scarface (Both versions).

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Raxivace posted:

I hope there's less incest than in Scarface (Both versions).

They're all orphans, how could there be incest?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Speculation time, the mobile armor is going to be hijacked by that Teiwaz dude thats angry at Tekkadan once its sent in for repair. Also once McGillis consolidates power in the seven star alliance he's going to move against the rest of the power houses like Teiwaz, Nobliss, etc. Tekkadan should have an easy time picking who they'll side with when the time comes but all of those factions are shitbags in the first place so god knows how that'll play out.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Speculation time, the mobile armor is going to be hijacked by that Teiwaz dude thats angry at Tekkadan once its sent in for repair. Also once McGillis consolidates power in the seven star alliance he's going to move against the rest of the power houses like Teiwaz, Nobliss, etc. Tekkadan should have an easy time picking who they'll side with when the time comes but all of those factions are shitbags in the first place so god knows how that'll play out.

I'm assuming that Tekkadan, the Arianrhod fleet, and the Turbines (if they're still alive by that point) will end up allying against McGillis and/or whatever Nobliss has up his sleeve, although that does depend on just how vengeance-crazed Gaelio is. Certainly, Rustal and his crew are coming across as one of the most heroic factions in all of this so far.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Orga isn't going to go against his big bro without substantial reason so it won't be too easy deciding.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Orga isn't going to go against his big bro without substantial reason so it won't be too easy deciding.

No, thats what I mean. He wont go against his bro. So it should be easy deciding. So the question would be if McGillis wants to have Tekkadan as enemies or will he bring Teiwaz in as part of his plan.

Either way, there is no way for Tekkadan to come out of the situation unscathed because they have a piece of everyone's pie right now. They might even have a Mars/Earth split because of the alliances going on with them.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Oct 25, 2016

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Admittedly, this is the same joke I'd use if I was in Amano Jaku's place.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
*mongolian throat singing*
to-ma-to! to-ma-to, TU-NAAAA
(weird british voice) Turn-A gondem

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Colour pics for the Vidar are out, and... uhh... Gaelio really isn't taking his betrayal well, is he? :stare:

He's modified the Kimaris to look like McGillis's Schwalbe Graze.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Kanos posted:

I don't think I'd class their actions as hubristic because that implies a belief of invincibility; I think reckless is a lot more accurate. Orga is at least nominally aware about the nature of the risks he takes and the cost of failure; remember that Biscuit died in his arms. He just believes that taking insane risks is the only way to advance Tekkadan at a rate that he views as meaningful and acceptable. The blinders on Orga aren't that he isn't aware that Tekkadan could get hosed and lose everything, it's that he doesn't realize that the very success of Tekkadan is exacerbating the problem that Tekkadan's success is meant to fix. However, I do agree with:

I think Orga's read is pretty on point. The world of Iron Blooded Orphans is not one where you can just settle on a farm and be safe and secure without an in with the powerful. Having McGillis be top dog is probably their only chance at present to have any kind of real long term security. There's also the simple fact that if McGillis thinks Tekkadan isn't with him, then he's gonna think they are a tool that can used against him. And Orga just saw him carry off a power play that had him on top of the most powerful organization in space. Why would he want to make this guy an enemy? Especially when he's already worked with him before at benefit to him?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

anglachel posted:

I think Orga's read is pretty on point. The world of Iron Blooded Orphans is not one where you can just settle on a farm and be safe and secure without an in with the powerful. Having McGillis be top dog is probably their only chance at present to have any kind of real long term security. There's also the simple fact that if McGillis thinks Tekkadan isn't with him, then he's gonna think they are a tool that can used against him. And Orga just saw him carry off a power play that had him on top of the most powerful organization in space. Why would he want to make this guy an enemy? Especially when he's already worked with him before at benefit to him?

Not having McGillis as an enemy and entering into an alliance with him aren't the same thing, though. While I agree that Tekkadan definitely doesn't want to make an enemy of McGillis, Orga's just entered into an implicit contract where if McGillis fucks up his incredibly dangerous political game, Tekkadan will receive blowback for it, even if they don't have anything to do with why McGillis hosed up. McGillis isn't on top; he took control of the Fareed family, and taking control involved deeply damaging the Fareed family's prestige by implicating his father in the corruption at Edmonton. Rustal's faction controls the greatest part of Gjallarhorn's military forces(Arianhrod) and has the approval/support of other Seven Stars(Iok). That's a pretty dangerous thing to align yourself against, especially since Orga deliberately mentions Tekkadan's puny status relative to those other factions. The differential in power is illustrated pretty starkly by the battle here where McGillis was only able to send one ship while Rustal could scrounge up five to take Sandoval.

Orga would take the alliance in any case because Orga is a compulsive insane risk-taker and an alliance with McGillis has the highest potential payout of all options available to him, but much like most of Orga's bets, it has the potential to fail so catastrophically that it means the end of everything.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I don't know if it's good or bad that I don't feel weird about Orga having Mikazuki execute a defenseless dude anymore.

Also is that guy that really wants to be a mobile suit pilot the guy from the offshoot manga about the astaroth gundam or whatever?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

muike posted:

Also is that guy that really wants to be a mobile suit pilot the guy from the offshoot manga about the astaroth gundam or whatever?

He is not.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Droyer posted:

He is not.

I imagine that's been covered about 3 million times before I started reading this thread, but thank you.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

muike posted:

I don't know if it's good or bad that I don't feel weird about Orga having Mikazuki execute a defenseless dude anymore.

The guy encouraged a bunch of pirates to kill people because he was becoming politically irrelevant and couldn't cash out, and there ain't no law on Mars outside of Gjallahorn rolling up and taking everyone away in cuffs or murdering everyone depending on how they're feeling that day.

So its kinda hard to feel too broken up about it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The guy effectively hired hitman, and tried to hire hitman again as they were in the room.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I think the real tragedy is that, as Kudelia pointed out, things got to the point where murdering was inevitable. I mean, she ended up having to wipe out the local leadership of her own beloved Martian independence movement because she miscalculated how desperate they'd become.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Kanos posted:

Not having McGillis as an enemy and entering into an alliance with him aren't the same thing, though. While I agree that Tekkadan definitely doesn't want to make an enemy of McGillis, Orga's just entered into an implicit contract where if McGillis fucks up his incredibly dangerous political game, Tekkadan will receive blowback for it, even if they don't have anything to do with why McGillis hosed up. McGillis isn't on top; he took control of the Fareed family, and taking control involved deeply damaging the Fareed family's prestige by implicating his father in the corruption at Edmonton. Rustal's faction controls the greatest part of Gjallarhorn's military forces(Arianhrod) and has the approval/support of other Seven Stars(Iok). That's a pretty dangerous thing to align yourself against, especially since Orga deliberately mentions Tekkadan's puny status relative to those other factions. The differential in power is illustrated pretty starkly by the battle here where McGillis was only able to send one ship while Rustal could scrounge up five to take Sandoval.

McGillis would likely view Tekkadan refusing to take the deal badly. Right now it's known that he has ties to Tekkadan and probably helped him, but it's not PROVEN. And in these political games, having it be someone everyone knows about is fine, but having it something everyone knows about and can prove is not. He would likely switch Tekkadan from the useful tool category to "potential threat" and then Orga is left with no allies in the only form of real government on Mars. Whether or not he would actually take actions against Tekkadan is unknown. McGillis strikes me as a guy who wouldn't just nilly willy try to get Tekkadan killed off, but if Tekkadan ever tried to get cozy with other parts of Gjallharhorn would. Which means allying with McGillis is the only meaningful path to legitimacy Orga has.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
This episode's foreshadowing was about as subtle as a brick to the face.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
so what im seeing is that mcgillis plans to instigate a war, then intervene to demonstrate to the world why they need a gjallarhorn (so we dont get calamity war 2)

gaelio's mask reminds me zero's mask, so i now suspect that his role at the end of the story is to be a symbol of conflict resolution and peace (mcgillis is gonna die)

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I thought Rustal was the one instigating stuff there?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gorelab posted:

I thought Rustal was the one instigating stuff there?

Yeah, he got that Arbrau commander to plant that bomb and subvert the Earth branch's Teiwaz minder, presumably to start a war and discredit McGillis and Tekkadan.

We're getting into some seriously murky politics here.

On the plus side, Gaelio seems to have found a replacement Ein. :3:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
ok there have been so many new characters and political situations unfolding all at once that im losing track

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Goddamn, that moment before Orga realized why Mika hates peeling fruit now.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

They're not even trying to pretend that these kids won't die horribly but I still feel for them. The cold blooded manipulation and casual disregard for their lives is a lot more effective than the cackling evil of the Brewers. These kids can't catch a break. :smith:

Also, the conversation about having someone to look up to (and the unspoken implication of what people think of that kind of relationship when both people are of different genders) makes me think the masked cyborg could be one of Carta's men instead of Gaelio. Probably not the case, but it gave me that vibe.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

GimmickMan posted:

They're not even trying to pretend that these kids won't die horribly but I still feel for them. The cold blooded manipulation and casual disregard for their lives is a lot more effective than the cackling evil of the Brewers. These kids can't catch a break. :smith:

Also, the conversation about having someone to look up to (and the unspoken implication of what people think of that kind of relationship when both people are of different genders) makes me think the masked cyborg could be one of Carta's men instead of Gaelio. Probably not the case, but it gave me that vibe.

I dunno, Carta's guys seemed a bit too interchangeable and anonymous to me to be this character. I think the "unspoken implication" was more about trusting someone who you might look up to and even love, but who might, in the end, stab you in the back. Betrayal seems to be kind of a big theme for this Gundam: everybody's using each other, and thinking they'll catch wise first if anyone makes a move.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

It's pretty obviously gali gali, and he seemed to reminiscence when he was Ein's commander during that conversation more than anything else.

The pride line could either reference himself when he was so proud of being Ein's leader, or McGillis.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I thought it was pretty clear that he was remembering his conversation with Ein about Crank. Remember when he screamed at McGillis for abusing the kid's pride?

Seriously, both conversations even took place in the same sort of setting. It was very probably an intentional callback.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 30, 2016

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

GimmickMan posted:

It gave me even more of a Gaelio vibe. The different genders thing is a factor, maybe, but a smaller one than that the one thing Julieta has is a superior she can respect. In other words, all she has is what Ein had. And Ein got hosed over, hard, with a large part of that on Gaelio, even if Gaelio was the one person trying to help him.

He's gotta be seeing this as a second chance. Which could go a lot of ways.

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009
It's Gaelio, for pity's sake. Him reflecting on another character's confidently avowed 'pride' would be proof enough by itself after his characterisation in season one. What interested me is that he wasn't as angry and obsessed with vengeance as I expected him to be. He mostly just sounded slightly amused and slightly sad while talking to Julieta.

Earth branch are dead as a dodo, but we knew that already. Rustal initially struck me as a bluff man of fundamental decency but it's clear he is as vicious a schemer as they come, which I suppose I should have anticipated. Julieta's trust in him will probably be betrayed before the end.

Makanai talking about how if you take the shortest possible path to your goals you will inevitably trip was a little on the nose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016
Despite the fact that all the story beats in the ep where as subtle as an iron slab to the face I am enjoying the fact that the villains are not evil for evils sake. They have goals and respond to our protagonists actions in cleaver ways. In a less well written show we would have had mobile suite beam spamming for 5 minutes, better then half of which would have been stock footage, that would have gotten us the same result with none of the dramatic punch. I mean aside from a brief flash of one when they where loading those trailers there wasn't even a MS in the episode.

• Locked thread