Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Bufuman posted:

The funny thing is that Dagger is actually the LOWEST person on the priority list. My guess is this is just a safety measure to keep her from being the leader at Desert Palace, given that she can't actually lead or give orders to the team on account of being mute, but still, it's pretty silly.

I like the implication that the party trusts Quina to be a leader more than Dagger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
though Dagger IS the only party member besides Zidane who gets to be on the world map

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

morallyobjected posted:

though Dagger IS the only party member besides Zidane who gets to be on the world map

Vivi travels alone from Treno to Quan's Dwelling without needing Zidane to babysit him. :colbert: Considering he also travels from Quan's Dwelling to Treno prior to the start of the game (to hitch a ride to Alexandria after Quan's death), the little guy is tough.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

morallyobjected posted:

I always thought that was weird since you get to walk around as every character except Amarant.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I always thought that was weird since you get to walk around as every character except Amarant.

Wait, when do we get control of Freya?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
For about a minute in Cleyra. And I think if Eiko, Vivi, and Steiner go to Oelivert, Freya leads the group.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Mega64 posted:

That is why I wrapped up the light in the Iifa Tree, to prevent the cycle of the judgment of souls on Gaia from inside the planet. Such is the Iifa Tree's true purpose, its true form. All you saw was its material form. The flow of Gaia's souls cannot be changed simply by stopping the disposal of Mist.

I don't think it's really explicitly stated in-game, but Terra actually exists within Gaia due to the failed attempt at merging the two planets alluded to in Oeilvert. The red moon we've seen is the former moon of Terra (with the blue moon being Gaia's).

I played this game a bunch of times in my youth and never fully understood this point. Makes it all the more interesting.

The game (and this LP) are really something special and it makes me want to play it again even though I have no free time.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

CHAPTER TWENTY: An ship of ssteam travel tached down on the remotely desert of the planet that se4cretly was Terra but the ship didn't know because it is plot twist.

Most dungeons are boring at level 1 now, because the actual dungeon crawling is mostly over. Head for screen transitions and hope to not die. Elemental immunities and Auto-Life make that second part far, far easier. Never again will I get snagged on a random encounter merely trying to make my way somewhere.

Agares can cast a bunch of spells and unpetrify the gargoyle. If he doesn't hit Gitan, I'm fine.

You know, most random encounters are open to petrify. Agares is too.

Something goes slightly wrong in the process. The gargoyle, for no adequately explored reason, dies.

And that's dead dead. EXP yield dead.

I never said random encounters couldn't snag me in other ways...!

But it works in other places just fine.

Oh, yeah, boss battle.

Click me as well

Click that if you want to see how level 1 power moves look, and also my pro-level ATB manipulation.

The short version?

Gitan and Ratchel can do 9,999 on command, and Quark just has to be reduced to 1 HP. Taharka's only moves are single-target physicals and Blizzaga. The party has Maidan's Rings equipped and its one physical hits Quark, who happens to like being forced to use Auto-Life.

Tinhank does land Heat on it, but Thievery was already queued and finishes it off. Oh well.

This ability will be useful (no it won't)!

Quark triggers the trap for this team.

I start gearing up party members for Events later. Tinhank needs mondo attack and lightning protection.

All I can do is hope that I can get to Owen Wilson with a random encounter killing Gitan. It works... this time.

There's one on the way out, but it's a preemptive strike handled creatively.

Gitan and Quark have the Earth Guardian in the way before Events. Both have Auto-Reflect.

And both have Gaia Gear equipped.

As the above shot indicated, I forget to take the Sargatanas off of Gitan. I meant to use The Ogre to blind Earth Guardian. It handles the last of his 5 attacks. See:

Earth Shaker is handily absorbed by the gaea gears.

Double Slash would be free turns if I remembered to blind properly, but alas it's the only thing that can hurt these two.

Firaga, Blizzaga, and Thundaga are reflected back. Double Slash is the only thing that works now.

"How do you survive at level 1?" You might ask. Easy: a lot of bosses can pretty easily be rendered toothless.

Oh and of course Quark eats the drat thing. I don't use Blue spells besides Limit Glove or Auto-Life but that's no reason to not pick one up.

"Well his positivity and support certainly are charming.

"But, I wish he didn't drop acid so often."

Points of no return are nbd for level 1. What is progress but the chance to fight more bosses?

Random encounters are the same as ever. Getting hit by Virus doesn't matter because there's a free heal between this and boss fights.

Even if animations are... uh...

uncomfortable?!

The treasures don't matter, they're items available in the very next town.

Since I didn't steal Taharka's, here's this. Speed +1 is the only stat boost on Gitan's weapons, and speed is his only relevant stat anymore.

This gives a full set of -aga boosts to Papito's hat slot.

Adaman Hats give an extremely useful immunity in an extremely useful slot. Thundagas are a dime a dozen this late in the game, after all.

Ratchel and Tinhank aren't left out, with Blizzaga protection.

How

did you even get here?

"Or you being level 1. What the gently caress is up with that? You, like, have problems killing but are just loving peachy with making them statues? And why does that not count? What is this?"

Gitan realizes he and his friends all have so stupid of names that he gives up.

Next time: Mandatory levels.

REGISTER OF RESETS:
One to Tidal Flame Garnet for the hell of it; Unknown number lost to plant spiders spawn numbers; died to Flans without Flee; Untimely crit pushed Sealion to fatally Blizzara; less work to suicide on optional Type A fight than to win or reset; incredible number of resets for phoenix down RNG; and then again; Marcus gained levels; Snared by the Mandragoras leaving Quan's Dwelling; Only one on a pointless phoenix down rng; Antlion did not cooperate; Again, Antlion did not cooperate; Soldiers beaten too hard once; twice; thrice; Gitan lied Cleyrans died; Tinhank and Marcus didn't make it; bonus fourth Soldier beating; Alexandrian Gauntlet toll: Beatrix 3, Beatrix vs Bandersnatch 2, Beatrix vs Bandersnatch 1, Beatrix 3; Knuckleheaded death to Ralvuimago; Actually two of them; dunked by Hilgigars; Stroper sweepstakes; resources depleted by zombies; Stroper sweepstakes 2; ran out of magic tags; Stroper sweepstakes 3; Auto-Potion; Beaten to Bort; zombie-on-zombie violence; more zombie-on-zombie violence; Stroper sweepstakes 4; Stroper sweepstakes 5; Magic Elevator Ride zombies: Gitan striked, Roulette suicide, Roulette suicide 2, Gitan striked 2; Counter and Auto-Potion do not mix; Ramuh and Shiva insisted on sucking; Forgot the Forgotten chocobo tracks; got hosed up on the way; Epitaph; Epitaph; Epitaph; Epitaph grinding is risky; Desert Palace Random Encounters: Annoying, Dangerous, Random, Bullshit, gently caress, Dammit, Why; Bishop removed Zombie; Grand Dragon Thundaga; Yan'd; Friendly Yan'd; Why did the gargoyle die.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

This is glorious.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I rarely see that animation since I usually kill it with Soft, but it's always funny to see.

Also, I've started playing Tetra Master to collect all of the cards. For a moment there, I was actually having fun.

But then I remembered that Tetra Master was random bullshit and now I'm back to soul-searing rage. :shepicide:

On the plus side, I have 72/100 types of different cards, so I'm almost done.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

:siren: :frogsiren: :siren: :siren: :frogsiren: :siren:

Many people called me that.

Yeah, maybe I do.

Yep... Sounds about right.

Becoming of me...?

Yeah, right. I have nothing to teach...

No! I don't know anything!

Friendship... Friendship...?

I don't know... who I am...

I'm so... tired...

Who?

Who...?

Zidane!
Vivi... Eiko...
Thank goodness, you're alive! We thought you were dead!

We were so worried! Why did you come here all by yourself?
What...are you doing here?
Huh? We came to save you, of course...
And it wasn't easy! You went off all alone!

Huh?
This has nothing to do with you.
Oh, come on!

Come on, Zidane... Don't be like that. Let's-

Zidane...

Zidane, wait up!
You need rest, Zidane!

drat hypocrite. Always talking about friendship, when you're nothing but a selfish loner.
I can take care of myself.

Steiner...Quina... What are you doing...

Zidane, you no can leave us! I still want you take me place have lots good food!

You try to do everything by yourself, don't you?
Try to understand... I don't want to cause trouble to anyone.

I want to think so! That's why I always...

I can't accept your friendship so easily!
You've always protected us.

We watched your back while you watched ours. And we believed in you the same way you believed in us! Just like you protected us...

My master tell me, somebody give you tasties, you give them tasties, too. Is good manners!

Quina...

And I shall follow you to kingdom come if I must. You remember that!
Steiner...

I loving love this part. Zidane just found out he was created to destroy the planet his very friends live on. Being Zidane, he doesn't want to burden his friends with it, but friendship is a two-way street after all, and just as he's constantly been there for his friends, they want to be there for him at his lowest point. This part really cements just how close the people in this group are to each other, and it executes it in a pretty solid way with the gauntlet of battles where Zidane's allies constantly fight for his aid.

And of course the music is loving incredible. It feels like a waste that it only plays for this part, but it isn't because it makes the scene that much stronger (and likewise the scene makes the music stand out even more). One of the best pieces in the entire series I feel, and together it culminates in one of the best scenes in this entire series. This is how you show the power of friendship.

It possible...
You should not have left them!
That's right! I mean, really...

Also the group has possibly been captured except not really because they're just fine in the very next screen.

But first, the proper dungeon music sets in. As I mentioned previously, this is a mix of Garland's theme and the music of FF2's Pandemonium.

:siren: :siren:

For reference (and because it's a pretty solid NES final dungeon piece in its own right):

Zidane!
Zidane! Why did you leave us!?
I'm sorry... You were right... I need everyone's help.
Don't leave us again, okay?
Never...
So, you've had a change of heart.
What a busy guy, coming and going all the time...

Oh yeah, that's right!

Just tell me if you need to rest, kupo!

We get to pick our team for this dungeon. It's not actually very long, though it's got a couple gimmicks. I'm gonna roll the same team as I tackled Terra with.

This is the same moogle from Bran Bal, complete with the same Mogshop as before. He also lets us change our party if needed.

There's some encounters here, of course, including some from Terra such as Movers.

This part's a bit weird. You have to use the switch to activate a bridge for thirty seconds to reach the other side. While doing this, lights will pop up in a set sequence. Get too close to a light, and you trigger a battle. If you go next to a light, a battle starts and the countdown expires.

One of the monsters is series staple Malboro.

It can use Absorb, Thundaga, Virus Tentacle, and Osmose, but of course it also has its signature attack Bad Breath that inflicts a load of nasty status effects on a target.

We saw this guy earlier. Thundaga, High Wind which does wind damage, and another attack that inflicts Virus. Not too scary overall.

Takes me a few tries but eventually I reach it and go to the next gimmick.

There's apparently an ATE that explains this but I couldn't get it to trigger. At any rate, in the next room there's an elevator and its position in the room depends on where you place it, on a heading of 0 to 5.

It's kinda confusing so I'll gloss over it. Nothing too exciting though.

Next room leads us to the last gimmick of this dungeon.

It's a simple teleporter puzzle, a classic video game staple. It's not as annoying since A always goes to B and B always goes to A, so you don't get sent back to the beginning or whatever. I've definitely seen worse variations of this (gently caress The After Years).

This is pretty sweet since it teaches Steiner and Freya Auto-Regen.

Otherwise, the right end of the giant circle room is a dead end besides its treasures. To progress, we have to go south and then left. Just follow the teleporters and we'll reach the end of the dungeon!

What the heck was that all about? Kupo?

This moogle also gives us an opportunity to switch our party. We've got quite the boss gauntlet coming up, so I'll do just that.

Vivi for firepower, Dagger for healing/firepower, Quina for utility, and Zidane because he has to be there.

Next time, we face Garland and close out Disc 3.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I remember being floored by the Not Alone scene on my first playthrough. I had heard nothing about FF9 going into it, since it was during that time when nobody seemed to really talk about it at all. But this part in particular really got to me. I didn't have any expectations, so the fact that so many other people love it seems to be a great testament to its innate quality.

I mean, just think about it. Zidane's always been the positive one up to this point, so seeing him so... unlike himself is moving. And one of the lines that really gets to me there is Steiner's. I feel like it echoes back to how he was following the party for his own selfish purposes near the beginning of the game, but now he follows Zidane because he wants to. What a great moment.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Worth noting that if you dick around on the elevator too much to the point where you aren't progressing, the four members that aren't in the active party will show up to manipulate the elevator in an ATE for you.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
You Are Not Alone is such a great music track.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm almost certain that You're Not Alone was meant to have vocal lyrics. If this had been an early PS2 game maybe it would have? Either way, the ever-talented Erutan shows us what might have been. Warning: possible spoilers for the rest of the game, as well as mid-00's AMV quality editing therein.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Even though this probably won't end up in the LP, I thought I'd share my Tetra Master record for you all just so you can see what insanity looks like.

I'll show you again when I go to challenge the hardest Tetra Master players in the game for the last ten cards.

Someone help me, please.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Pureauthor posted:

You Are Not Alone is such a great music track.

It's probably in my top 3 FF tracks and I like FF soundtracks quite a bit.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Please don't hate me, but... I don't really like You're Not Alone all that much? I mean it's cool and all, and the scene is great, and I guess it works nicely in context, but... that's kinda it? Out of context... I like the melody but the instrumentation is just too cheesy for me, and it just doesn't seem to hit any of those targets that make my brain forget about Final Fantasy IX for a moment and focus on what a good piece of music it is.

For my money the high point of this soundtrack is Frontier Village, which I believe I've mentioned before way back in the thread. It's got a humility to it that echoes the sountracks of old; it just takes a really nice melody, and then layers, and layers some more, and just... it's just really nice to listen to (plus it also happens to fit perfectly in context). I like a lot of music in this game for a lot of reasons but Frontier Village nails pretty much all of them, and You're Not Alone just kinda sorta hits one. Fite me.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Abadon's High Wind isn't actually wind. It's an all-target physical with no element with lower attack than its single-target blade. (56 vs. 70 for the YNA one, 60/75 for the random encounters.)

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
The best scene in all of the Final Fantasy games. I will fight you if you say otherwise.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

It is done.

Though, despite having 91 wins, Steam only counts me as winning 23. Even when I win, I can't win.

Tetra Master! :argh:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmbgCBZ86z4

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Yeah, this bit is great, no arguments from me.

Dungeon is a little annoying though. Nice treasure at least.

Also in IX Malboros can fly. :gonk:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Nthing how great You're Not Alone is.

The main problem with this scene for me is that this is really Zidane's only crisis of faith, and it's... pretty weak. Everything is out-of-character for him.

I mean it's still a great scene, just... not because it's Zidane, and more for everything else.

McDragon posted:

Yeah, this bit is great, no arguments from me.

Dungeon is a little annoying though. Nice treasure at least.

Also in IX Malboros can fly. :gonk:

They're not nearly as much of a threat though, since Bad Breath only hits one target. Unlike other games where it was pretty much a reset since they hit your whole team and usually on the first turn (hi FFVIII, hi FFX).

Zinco
Mar 27, 2005

Fedule posted:

Please don't hate me, but... I don't really like You're Not Alone all that much? I mean it's cool and all, and the scene is great, and I guess it works nicely in context, but... that's kinda it? Out of context... I like the melody but the instrumentation is just too cheesy for me, and it just doesn't seem to hit any of those targets that make my brain forget about Final Fantasy IX for a moment and focus on what a good piece of music it is.

Yeah, back when I used to listen to the soundtrack around the game's release, the track always put me off. I can see why it has the instrumentation it does, thematically - a soft synthy organ, an electric guitar, a koto(?), bongos, and that weird men's chorus sample - none of which would seem to go together, but somehow it works, just like your team! Except it doesn't really work. Well, not for me, anyway.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Mikl posted:

The best scene in all of the Final Fantasy games. I will fight you if you say otherwise.

- Barret date.
- The Irish jig from FFVIII.
- That part from FFXIII where they discuss their Focus.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 30, 2016

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It is done.

Though, despite having 91 wins, Steam only counts me as winning 23. Even when I win, I can't win.

Tetra Master! :argh:

My god, why.

Also, does each card have a unique combination of arrows? I think you need that to get the maximum rank that caused (at least) the PSX version to glitch out.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

- Barret date.
- The Irish jig from FFVIII.
- That part from FFXII where they discuss their Focus.

I assume you mean XIII for the last one.

And they probably mean the best 'serious' scene. It's pretty up there, although FFX gives a few contenders as well.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Schwartzcough posted:

My god, why.

Also, does each card have a unique combination of arrows? I think you need that to get the maximum rank that caused (at least) the PSX version to glitch out.

Because I have completionist issues!

That being said, I'm not doing that. I'm not that crazy.

The worst part of Tetra Master is that when you're almost finished collecting all of the cards, any loss can set you back a lot due to you having basically only one of each card.

That and the nonsensical damage formulas. Can't forget those.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 30, 2016

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Nthing how great You're Not Alone is.

The main problem with this scene for me is that this is really Zidane's only crisis of faith, and it's... pretty weak. Everything is out-of-character for him.

I mean it's still a great scene, just... not because it's Zidane, and more for everything else.

I think it's partly because it's so out of character for him, the scene sitting into that chair. It's like, the build up where he figures out he's a Goku and his friend's initial reaction pushing him into a crisis of faith is nice and subtle, but then Zidane pretty much falls down some stairs with it.

I always thought Garland did some mind hackery trick on him to serious funk him out.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 30, 2016

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I never watched DBZ, why is Zidane a Goku?

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

GunnerJ posted:

Spoilers on par with Rosebud being Citizen Kane's sled and Darth Vader being Luke's father: Goku was actually an alien sent to earth to conquer it, but hit his head as a baby when he landed and was raised by an elderly man

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

GunnerJ posted:

Dragon Ball started with a random monkey-kid baby coming from space, to start with he was a berserk death machine, then eventually got amnesia and became a hero type helpful guy named Goku.

Then Dragon Ball Z comes around and we find out he's from a race of mercenaries who sell planets to the highest bidder. Low threat planets are dealt with by just sending a baby at them.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

GunnerJ posted:

Goku is:

Someone from another Planet,
Was sent to this Planet in order to destroy it,
Instead of destroying it he came to love it,
Now wants to beat up who sent him to destroy this Planet.

Bonus round: They both come from a race who's main defining feature is 'Human only with a monkey tail.'

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
lol god drat that's on the nose, Square.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Zidane's Trance is also basically Super Saiyan Rosé and he was sent to exterminate all ningens mortals.

Granted, he was 16 years early for that to be an amusing comparison.

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe
I don't think this is just a crisis of faith from Zidane, at the end of update 71 Garland seemed to do something to him, and then he appears on this mystery chair.

probably attempted to remove his soul or something but the power of friendship meant it didn't take.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

FAROOQ posted:

I don't think this is just a crisis of faith from Zidane, at the end of update 71 Garland seemed to do something to him,

Mega64 represented it with a regular shot, which I think lost something. In motion, when the screen darkens everything freezes.

Garland then talks about turning him into a regular Genome. Some kinda evil magic probably happened.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Makes you wonder why he didn't just do that to Kuja at some point and finish off Alexandria with the Invincible.

I do wonder why Garland was on Kuja's ship, though, and why Kuja has silver hair instead of blond. Dye?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeruVolpi
Apr 23, 2016
Can someone please repost that screen shot where Zidane recalls all teammates called Steiner? I just love it... :allears:

Also, never realized Kuja has a skirt where he probably hides his own tail...

• Locked thread