Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

rydiafan posted:

Necco Wafers are legit, and 90% of people who hate them have probably never had one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Molasses_Flood

Hey that's just north of Goodneighbor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Good times.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Is Rick and Summer getting buff to get revenge a reference to something? It's funny and weird but I feel like I'm missing something.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

EmmyOk posted:

Is Rick and Summer getting buff to get revenge a reference to something? It's funny and weird but I feel like I'm missing something.

Well, the venue where they kick the Devil's rear end is a reference to Apple product launches and TED talks.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

EmmyOk posted:

It's more of a reference to a trope than to a single thing. There's lots of mini-references with in it, though. For example, the bully kid from the cartoon Recess.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

EmmyOk posted:

I always just assumed it was a subversion of expectations. As the viewer we'd expect their revenge to be some science-type thing that ends up turning the tables and beating The Devil at his own game, but instead they just beat the everliving gently caress out of him.

rydiafan fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 30, 2016

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

It's also just really cute to watch Rick and Summer spending some quality time together like that.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Ramos posted:

It's also just really cute to watch Rick and Summer spending some quality time together like that.

Yeah I really liked that episode as it felt like Summer got to break out and do her own poo poo with grandpa rather than just being Morty's dumb big sister.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Ramos posted:

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah I really liked that episode as it felt like Summer got to break out and do her own poo poo with grandpa rather than just being Morty's dumb big sister.

This and this. I'm not sure we really need Morty when we've got Summer available. (Okay, Rick needs his detection screen, but other than that.)

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

prefect posted:

This and this. I'm not sure we really need Morty when we've got Summer available. (Okay, Rick needs his detection screen, but other than that.)

They're both pieces of poo poo, that's a scientific fact.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

They're both pieces of poo poo, that's a scientific fact.

20% correct as usual Gravitaaaaas, but it's a mathematical proof.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
Oh hey poo poo. Now that Rick is far away from Morty and stuck in space prison, doesn't that mean he doesn't have dumb Morty waves hiding his location? Is he just hiding his location from other Ricks?

The other Ricks might break him out I guess.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Megaspel posted:

Oh hey poo poo. Now that Rick is far away from Morty and stuck in space prison, doesn't that mean he doesn't have dumb Morty waves hiding his location? Is he just hiding his location from other Ricks?

He was hiding from the people who captured him

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Ah gently caress. Never mind then.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Wasn't it both? The evil Rick had that fortress of tortured Morties. Though, Rick C137 was cleared of all council charges against him when they caught the evil Rick.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

maou shoujo posted:

Wasn't it both? The evil Rick had that fortress of tortured Morties. Though, Rick C137 was cleared of all council charges against him when they caught the evil Rick.

If there are an infinite number of Ricks, it also follows that there are an infinite number of Councils of Ricks (an infinite portion of which wants to capture our Rick). Its a dangerous multiverse.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Rutibex posted:

If there are an infinite number of Ricks, it also follows that there are an infinite number of Councils of Ricks (an infinite portion of which wants to capture our Rick). Its a dangerous multiverse.

It's possible there aren't infinite Ricks. The Council mentions "all the Ricks in the Central Finite Curve," so maybe there's a limited number of universes where Rick actually turns out the way we expect. There's also his off-handed remark in the Cronenberg episode that "we only get three or four more of these, tops." So although there's a lot of Ricks, maybe they eventually just get unrecognizably weird.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

It's also possible that, while there are an infinite number of universes for some reason the Ricks (that we know) only actually have access to a finite number of them for some yet unexplained reason, like maybe because of the shape of "reality" (hence why it's a "curve" that's finite.)

I just really hope there's a chair people universe Rick.

Also, where is the council of Ricks? I cant imagine it's its own universe, so what universe did they put it in? And what happens to it when all the Ricks die? Cuz they're all the same age it seems like (And Ricks not that young). Do Ricks and Mortys just get reborn as some next generation of Ricks and Mortys? Do Mortys evolve into Ricks with some complete brainwave flip in their 20s? We better get a ton more seasons of this show.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

BrainDance posted:

Cuz they're all the same age it seems like (And Ricks not that young). Do Ricks and Mortys just get reborn as some next generation of Ricks and Mortys? Do Mortys evolve into Ricks with some complete brainwave flip in their 20s? We better get a ton more seasons of this show.

Not to mention things like relativistic effects of near-light travel or cryo-sleep or different approaches to cloning, cybernetics, or stem cells or whatever. Rick could be any age or appear any age.

And that's before time travel. There could be 1000 years of Rick and Morty. Always, the adventures of Rick and Morty. Dot com. Forever Rick and Morty.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

FronzelNeekburm posted:

It's possible there aren't infinite Ricks. The Council mentions "all the Ricks in the Central Finite Curve," so maybe there's a limited number of universes where Rick actually turns out the way we expect. There's also his off-handed remark in the Cronenberg episode that "we only get three or four more of these, tops." So although there's a lot of Ricks, maybe they eventually just get unrecognizably weird.

I think the "three or four" thing was more a reference to how they can't just throw away the things they do or the audience will stop watching the show.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

prefect posted:

I think the "three or four" thing was more a reference to how they can't just throw away the things they do or the audience will stop watching the show.

It can be two things, why can't it?!

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

McSpanky posted:

It can be two things, why can't it?!

20% correct Futurama quote as usual, McSpankyyyy.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I'm pretty sure the "three or four" times reference is also a hint that RickPrime and MortyPrime are not actually from the save universe. Rick calling Little Richard "Tiny Rogerts" instead was probably also a hint.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
My pet theory is that the Morty from the cold opening of the first episode is eyepatch-Morty who somehow survived.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

BrainDance posted:

It's also possible that, while there are an infinite number of universes for some reason the Ricks (that we know) only actually have access to a finite number of them for some yet unexplained reason, like maybe because of the shape of "reality" (hence why it's a "curve" that's finite.)

I just really hope there's a chair people universe Rick.

Also, where is the council of Ricks? I cant imagine it's its own universe, so what universe did they put it in? And what happens to it when all the Ricks die? Cuz they're all the same age it seems like (And Ricks not that young). Do Ricks and Mortys just get reborn as some next generation of Ricks and Mortys? Do Mortys evolve into Ricks with some complete brainwave flip in their 20s? We better get a ton more seasons of this show.

There's gotta be some universes where Project Phoenix was a complete success.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

the council of ricks is the greatest thing for Halloween because getting drunk with Ricks at parties as Rick is fun as gently caress.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
I wonder what happened in the universes where the foot soldier Ricks come from. Why would any Rick choose to be a rank-and-file soldier?

edit: I think the answer is "don't think about it"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They're the Ricks that like a bit of control on their life.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

CelticPredator posted:

the council of ricks is the greatest thing for Halloween because getting drunk with Ricks at parties as Rick is fun as gently caress.

This is unironically the greatest idea for a Halloween party theme ever.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

This is unironically the greatest idea for a Halloween party theme ever.

It happened to me at a local con. Went to a bar as Rick, another Rick showed up, then 4 more showed up and soon we ended up in the middle of a dance floor and then a Meeseeks popped up right in front of us.

It was insane.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

CelticPredator posted:

It happened to me at a local con. Went to a bar as Rick, another Rick showed up, then 4 more showed up and soon we ended up in the middle of a dance floor and then a Meeseeks popped up right in front of us.

It was insane.

I guess this is proof that Ricks have more fun.

... your move, Jerry.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
https://twitter.com/danguterman/status/792530121957646337

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Not pictured: Doc's balls in the foreground.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

wonder how much coke they're going to get through

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Paladinus posted:

Somebody's gonna get laid in college.

Phillip Rivers in a nutshell.

Fuckin' nerd.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Do you guys think that dog's owners named it Beancounter, or was that the name it gave itself, like Snowball? Also, if it's owners did it, do you think it influenced Beancounter's decision to become accountant? Do our names define our fates?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Hello this is now the Beancounter fan art competition thread. You got one whole week to get your entries in, one entry per poster, there will be three awards:

1. Best in show
2. Most "literal reading of a joke"
3. Sassiest fan art

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I'm pretty sure the "three or four" times reference is also a hint that RickPrime and MortyPrime are not actually from the save universe. Rick calling Little Richard "Tiny Rogerts" instead was probably also a hint.

Fringe already did this

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I made a thing.

https://twitter.com/CeltyPredator/status/794055168333475840

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Dan Harmon has an AMA up and he really loves answering it; a lot of his answers are really well thought out or at least quite detailed. You get to learn the events that led to him being taken off Community season 4, for instance.

More relevant to this thread, I liked his answer to "What's the drink in Rick's flask?"

Dan Harmon posted:

I tend to assume vodka and I know it seems unlikely that Rick wouldn't use sci-fi tech to somehow augment whatever he drinks but I think in rick's mind part of the "addiction" to the flask of good old fashioned booze is that it anchors his identity, and I think he knows that if he augmented the booze or the flask, then why not just whip up a very rudimentary nanobiotic alcohol dispenser in his body or inject himself with a plasma component that just amounts to always having a certain blood alcohol level, and I think the reason he doesn't do that is because he's a little afraid he'll lose sight of who he is

• Locked thread