Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Holy poo poo that game was amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Leovold, guys

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Legacy or Vintage?

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?

80s James Hetfield posted:

Holy poo poo that game was amazing

Source your stimulus.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
All these threads on reddit popping up lately where people are complaining about promos. It seems that there is this bizarre vocal majority that WANT promos to be bad. They don't want people to come to FNM who want promos. What kind of dumb logic is this?

As if spikes are going to flood fnm any more than they do now when promos stop sucking. What store even gives promos based on wins anymore?

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

So how about the Bludgeon Brawl tech with that armory dude?

Also, what is Leo being played in?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Jesus christ, LSV's streaming a Kaladesh draft. He may have gone a bit deep:

https://twitter.com/lsv/status/792577920673861632

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Here's a fun bug: on MTGO if Flaying Tendrils gets cast, if you discard to Haunted Dead that turn, any creature you discard will get exiled.

Really ruined my day when my two Amalgams got exiled.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Sickening posted:

All these threads on reddit popping up lately where people are complaining about promos. It seems that there is this bizarre vocal majority that WANT promos to be bad. They don't want people to come to FNM who want promos. What kind of dumb logic is this?

As if spikes are going to flood fnm any more than they do now when promos stop sucking. What store even gives promos based on wins anymore?

My store usually does one each for the highest 4 scores at the beginning of the last round and 4 to randos.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Is anyone else's store doing this League Playtest thing? Players get three packs and build a 30 card sealed deck, and then just play anyone they want in the league once a week. They get a new pack whenever they lose three matches (matches are one game, free mulligan) and/or at the start of every week. We started doing this on Friday and the players love it. I got in ten matches in the night (9-3!) and it's so much fun. I walked my newbie opponent through how to kill me with his turn one Minister of Inquiries and didn't even care, because it got me one match closer to getting my next pack. We're charging $15 for the three pack sealed, which includes a fourth pack on "reserve" that they get when they qualify in either losing three matches or just staying in the league for the first week. After that they need to pay for each pack, and we'll award prizes at the end for things like "most match wins" and "most matches played".

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Jesus Christ MTGO. LSV is streaming Modern Storm against Lantern. Game 2, he sideboards 4 Madcap Experiment and 2 Platinum Emperion, and just draws both Emperions because his opponent mistimed a Surgical Extraction on Cathartic Reunion. He then hardcasts the 8 mana 8/8 and beats his opponent to death because they took out all the Bridges. He then gets the sideboarding bug and doesn't get to sideboard again, so his opponent gets to bring in Nature's Claims and Bridges again.

and then LSV just goes off with four Rituals, Past in Flames, Grapeshot and kills his opponent to avoid having to file for reimbursement.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

BJPaskoff posted:

Is anyone else's store doing this League Playtest thing? Players get three packs and build a 30 card sealed deck, and then just play anyone they want in the league once a week. They get a new pack whenever they lose three matches (matches are one game, free mulligan) and/or at the start of every week. We started doing this on Friday and the players love it. I got in ten matches in the night (9-3!) and it's so much fun. I walked my newbie opponent through how to kill me with his turn one Minister of Inquiries and didn't even care, because it got me one match closer to getting my next pack. We're charging $15 for the three pack sealed, which includes a fourth pack on "reserve" that they get when they qualify in either losing three matches or just staying in the league for the first week. After that they need to pay for each pack, and we'll award prizes at the end for things like "most match wins" and "most matches played".

Leagues aren't a thing that are ever going to work anymore and I have no clue why they keep trying jam them. I cant imagine a shop in 2016 where this league doesn't fall apart by week 3.

Planeswalker points are still worthless however. They are still going to ignore it.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Hellsau posted:

Jesus Christ MTGO. LSV is streaming Modern Storm against Lantern. Game 2, he sideboards 4 Madcap Experiment and 2 Platinum Emperion, and just draws both Emperions because his opponent mistimed a Surgical Extraction on Cathartic Reunion. He then hardcasts the 8 mana 8/8 and beats his opponent to death because they took out all the Bridges. He then gets the sideboarding bug and doesn't get to sideboard again, so his opponent gets to bring in Nature's Claims and Bridges again.

and then LSV just goes off with four Rituals, Past in Flames, Grapeshot and kills his opponent to avoid having to file for reimbursement.

I like to imagine any magic pro who uses mtgo for anything is just screaming internally almost all the time.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

Leagues aren't a thing that are ever going to work anymore and I have no clue why they keep trying jam them. I cant imagine a shop in 2016 where this league doesn't fall apart by week 3.

Planeswalker points are still worthless however. They are still going to ignore it.

This is a super casual one because there are no matchups per week, you just play anyone you want. If there are twenty people in the league, you can get nineteen matches in every week, and playing a match only takes about ten minutes. The extra pack per three losses gives you a big incentive to keep playing even if you're losing, because then you get to improve your deck.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/gpwar16/day-two-metagame-breakdown-2016-10-30

Doesn't appear standard is diverse as we hoped it would be. u/w flash just won the gp.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Where do the guys who say "hurr 'red never gets anything good fart' that's what u guys sound like" every time a mediocre red card is spoiled go whenever yet another tournament ends with white winning and red having by far the weakest showing?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Where do the guys who say "hurr 'red never gets anything good fart' that's what u guys sound like" every time a mediocre red card is spoiled go whenever yet another tournament ends with white winning and red having by far the weakest showing?

1/5 of the metagame is a weak showing for 1/5 of the colors?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Red seems fine? It's still in all the vehicle and control decks even if it happens not to feature in the two most popular decks.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

But when is the last time a deck with red in it won anything?????

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
This vintage finals game is so swingy it is amazing

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
WU Flash was the most popular list in day 2 yet only one got in the top 8.

Same number as BR Aggro which was 1/10th as popular.

Like, the most shocking thing is that a playset of Bloodhall Priest got in the top 8.

suicidesteve posted:

But when is the last time a deck with red in it won anything?????

Those don't count because they had another color.

That doesn't count when I complain about Wx decks because

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/gpwar16/day-two-metagame-breakdown-2016-10-30

Doesn't appear standard is diverse as we hoped it would be. u/w flash just won the gp.

Got to the finals of a PPTQ last night with it. The deck is INSANE.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Nomadic Scholar posted:

So how about the Bludgeon Brawl tech with that armory dude?
You don't actually gain control of the artifacts/equipment, so it doesn't work like you're hoping it does.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Dehtraen posted:

This vintage finals game is so swingy it is amazing

it's been some really good games, but 2 big mistakes (not leaving a mana open for force, and bottoming the wasteland) on the landstill guys side i think is gonna end it for him

oh wait never mind landstill drew energy flux, i think that counters any bad plays pretty well

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Yes. That would be an average showing if every deck were monocolored. But as it turns out, most tournament decks run 2-3 colors, which means most colors take up much more than 1/5 of the metagame. White, for example, is about 1/2 of the metagame. Every color except red takes up over 3/10 of the metagame even if you ignore all but one of its decks.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's really weird to frame that as a color problem though. It's a problem with those specific decks being dominant (although if not that many made it to top 8 maybe it's not even that, it's just those are the decks people chose to play).

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

mandatory lesbian posted:

it's been some really good games, but 2 big mistakes (not leaving a mana open for force, and bottoming the wasteland) on the landstill guys side i think is gonna end it for him

oh wait never mind landstill drew energy flux, i think that counters any bad plays pretty well

Yeah that was definitely a "oh poo poo!" moment. Inventors Fair put in some work and Emrakul the Promised End closes out vintage champs. I also like how the winner had 2 GRV's and could have received a game loss for any mess up and immediately lost.

Also Randy mis-announcing the winner of the event was pretty amusing "Jacob is.... err NOT the Vintage Champion, Congrats to Joseph the vintage champ" lol

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Zemyla posted:

You don't actually gain control of the artifacts/equipment, so it doesn't work like you're hoping it does.

I didn't mean to imply that sort of tech, I just thought it would be funny to dome people with all their enchantments, auras, etc for that turn.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Dehtraen posted:

Yeah that was definitely a "oh poo poo!" moment. Inventors Fair put in some work and Emrakul the Promised End closes out vintage champs. I also like how the winner had 2 GRV's and could have received a game loss for any mess up and immediately lost.

Also Randy mis-announcing the winner of the event was pretty amusing "Jacob is.... err NOT the Vintage Champion, Congrats to Joseph the vintage champ" lol

the emrakul end was sweet as heck

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
what vintage deck had emrakul in it?

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

MiddleEastBeast posted:

what vintage deck had emrakul in it?

Landstill. Finals in general was pretty sweet. Some punts throughout though especially during g2, but it made for a great finals match.

Edit - seems like for an eternal specific event there are a lot of eternal format players that don't know how their cards work or commonly played cards. Tons of missed triggers, targeting things with protection, missed scrys on mulligans, etc on coverage all weekend

Dehtraen fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 30, 2016

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Does Bob Maher know anything about Magic in the last 10 years? He has literally no clue what half of the cards are.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
And matches like this are why players want top banned. This guy is so slow... like 15-20 seconds per top activation. Makes the experienced miracles players look really good. I think at least 15 minutes of this game one has to have been spent on top activations

Edit - D&T player is playing to his outs, miracles player created a giant stack trying to respond to ports and wastelands and it looks like miracles messed up the resolution of everything and may have either topped one to many times or brainstormed twice?

Dehtraen fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Oct 30, 2016

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
"I think, therefore I am" brings little comfort in this case.

Dehtraen posted:

And matches like this are why players want top banned. This guy is so slow... like 15-20 seconds per top activation. Makes the experienced miracles players look really good. I think at least 15 minutes of this game one has to have been spent on top activations

Edit - D&T player is playing to his outs, miracles player created a giant stack trying to respond to ports and wastelands and it looks like miracles messed up the resolution of everything and may have either topped one to many times or brainstormed twice?

D&T player than walked the miracles guy through the stack, he kept doing stuff in response to the top and tried entreating off the top activation before the brainstorm resolved (I think?).

The weirdest FoW in the finals. What was he protecting?

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

I feel like the world would be a better place if there were token-style cards to represent activated and triggered abilities on the stack like you have on MODO. It seems like the sort of thing that would have to be print-your-own; I'm not aware of anyone having put together any such thing though.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

I feel like the world would be a better place if there were token-style cards to represent activated and triggered abilities on the stack like you have on MODO. It seems like the sort of thing that would have to be print-your-own; I'm not aware of anyone having put together any such thing though.

My friend made some for legacy Ascendancy when that was a deck.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

The Wicked Wall posted:

D&T player than walked the miracles guy through the stack, he kept doing stuff in response to the top and tried entreating off the top activation before the brainstorm resolved (I think?).

The weirdest FoW in the finals. What was he protecting?

Just seems kind of embarrassing that this is a huge event for vintage and legacy and a guy in the finals clearly is struggling playing his own deck, he has no idea what he is doing and spending swords on hard casted elvish spirit guides really shows that he is being carried through this event on the power of his deck alone. With so many great players in the room you'd think that someone could have knocked this guy out of the tournament.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Dehtraen posted:

Just seems kind of embarrassing that this is a huge event for vintage and legacy and a guy in the finals clearly is struggling playing his own deck, he has no idea what he is doing and spending swords on hard casted elvish spirit guides really shows that he is being carried through this event on the power of his deck alone. With so many great players in the room you'd think that someone could have knocked this guy out of the tournament.

They were both terrible and neither one deserved to win. Depths guy did his absolute best to throw that 3rd game away.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
The dark depths player made a few weird plays in that last game (like the turn where he took the entreat) but I'm glad he beat that terrible miracles player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Why is KLD Chandra rising in price? I see no decks she's seeing play in more than a few sideboard slots, if that.

• Locked thread