Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Spitesworth
Dec 31, 2007
Yoink.

falz posted:

Cover art? They made it look like gameplay in Popeye and Q Bert were on par with Dragon's Lair.

Speaking of NES's pixel art though, are those pixel perfect versions of games or are they also cheating a bit?

They completely cheat. All (or most of) the NES black box pixel illustrations are a lot more detailed (more colors, higher resolution, etc.) than the in-game sprites. But they get the point across clearly and I would definitely not consider them misleading. Especially compared to, say, Breakout's incredible "astronaut paddleball" painting for Atari 2600.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
You guys are missing the point! You have to use your imagination. Kids these days!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

wa27 posted:

This popped up on Youtube: It's a Parker Bros ad for their Atari games from 1982, that aired in theaters before ET. This guy has been uploading all sorts of theater commercials from high-def scans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0i0UKrazow

Is that the first instance of a video game commercial using pre-rendered images to simulate gameplay?

Man, and I thought I was king poo poo for having Atari ads recorded on Betamax tapes. The graphics are great, I wonder if that's an unfortunate case of 1982 film cameras had no way of capturing actual gameplay footage and reconstructing it was inevitable, and I dunno in 1982 were there legal standards and practices for advertising products other than tobacco and alcohol?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

univbee posted:

Man, and I thought I was king poo poo for having Atari ads recorded on Betamax tapes. The graphics are great, I wonder if that's an unfortunate case of 1982 film cameras had no way of capturing actual gameplay footage and reconstructing it was inevitable, and I dunno in 1982 were there legal standards and practices for advertising products other than tobacco and alcohol?

1982 was a bit of a breakpoint in advertising to children. The rules were changing right then and next year would be the start of the half-hour toy commercials that all children of the 80's know and love.

As for capturing footage, it was definitely doable at the time. Video projection systems existed and you could photograph game footage being sent through those. Not something you could do in your home, of course, but I'd expect that it was available for commercial production. Especially if the commercial was being shot on film.

If a start up like Activision could have actual game footage in their commercials, there's no reason that Parker Bros couldn't do it.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

As for capturing footage, it was definitely doable at the time. Video projection systems existed and you could photograph game footage being sent through those. Not something you could do in your home, of course, but I'd expect that it was available for commercial production. Especially if the commercial was being shot on film.

If a start up like Activision could have actual game footage in their commercials, there's no reason that Parker Bros couldn't do it.

What I meant was there may be a difference if you were shooting something for distribution on film for theatrical purposes, which was done in a completely different way on a technical level. Or maybe they just wanted to go fully deceptive, either is possible really.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

The important question is who is going to make a version of popeye or qbert that looks like that?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

cosmicjim posted:

The important question is who is going to make a version of popeye or qbert that looks like that?

Frankly I'm surprised there isn't an emulator plugin somewhere to do exactly that.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
The arcade version of Popeye actually looks fairly close to that.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

univbee posted:

What I meant was there may be a difference if you were shooting something for distribution on film for theatrical purposes, which was done in a completely different way on a technical level. Or maybe they just wanted to go fully deceptive, either is possible really.

there would have been zero problems if they wanted to depict real game footage and it would have also been easier and cheaper than the animation in that ad. it's 100% deception

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

d0s posted:

there would have been zero problems if they wanted to depict real game footage and it would have also been easier and cheaper than the animation in that ad. it's 100% deception

This is the worst false advertising since Reese's Pieces were shown to be effective at attracting aliens. :argh:

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
The ad does say it's simulated at the end. And Activision's 2600 games tended to have that drawn simulation screen thing going too back then. I wouldn't say it's completely deceptive. poo poo, the cartoons seem to have less animation fluidity than the actual games IRL do! (Oddly enough I have Atari 800 versions of Popeye, Super Cobra, and Qbert. Super Cobra looks BETTER than it does in the ad!)

A big issue back then was both sickeningly short dev times, and multiple platforms of release of massively differing power and effort put into conversion and cart size. 16 kbyte ROM? Too much make this game fit in 8! So just simulate it and say SCREENS MAY VARY? Plus we all nearly got nuked to gently caress in 83 so why worry too much anyhow?

Like compare an Atari 2600 title to a 5200/Atari 800 release. Then Colecovision or Intellivision. Maybe Apple 2, Trs 80, Vectrex, Vic 20, C 64, Spectrum, PC DOS, and TI 99 4a. Possibly Tandy Color Computer 1-2. That is a fuckload of existing platforms all being simultaneously supported and active with some level of traction. And then things like Odyssey 2, Bally Astrocade, Adventurevision, BBC Micro, Aquarius, and other ultra niche or regionally popular platforms and well.. Kinda hard to show 1 version.

And poo poo, give people modern dev tools, a bit more time to work on it, or just expanded game size and it's kind of sick what people can do. There are multiple A800 and C64 fixes and ports of old classics. Intellivision as well. Donkey Kong and Pac Man seem to be obsessions and franchise projects of the Golden Age homebrew set.

So the ad isn't the ultimate crime some of y'all seem to insist. Iffy but it was the nature and reality of the times.

Vvvv. Look at the framerate. It's like waaaay less. So. Much. Less. Kind of how cartoons like Simpsons used to show Videogames on them. Like 1-2 FPS. The resolution on most of the images were way beyond what a machine of the time could do yes. But the actual ANIMATION of said images is approaching RUNNING QUAKE ON A 386 level of smoothness. An Intellivision FUN FACT: the built in "exec" os/dev tool system had a super slow max framerate. Like 20ish. Not using the exec and it's built in routines allows for much higher frame rates in games. Which is why third party developers were able to make things run faster. When they gave a gently caress. Coleco's Donkey Kong port is infamous for its level of lovely. Vvvv

Captain Rufus fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Oct 30, 2016

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Captain Rufus posted:

The ad does say it's simulated at the end. And Activision's 2600 games tended to have that drawn simulation screen thing going too back then. I wouldn't say it's completely deceptive. poo poo, the cartoons seem to have less animation fluidity than the actual games IRL do! (Oddly enough I have Atari 800 versions of Popeye, Super Cobra, and Qbert. Super Cobra looks BETTER than it does in the ad!)

A big issue back then was both sickeningly short dev times, and multiple platforms of release of massively differing power and effort put into conversion and cart size. 16 kbyte ROM? Too much make this game fit in 8! So just simulate it and say SCREENS MAY VARY? Plus we all nearly got nuked to gently caress in 83 so why worry too much anyhow?

Like compare an Atari 2600 title to a 5200/Atari 800 release. Then Colecovision or Intellivision. Maybe Apple 2, Trs 80, Vectrex, Vic 20, C 64, Spectrum, PC DOS, and TI 99 4a. Possibly Tandy Color Computer 1-2. That is a fuckload of existing platforms all being simultaneously supported and active with some level of traction. And then things like Odyssey 2, Bally Astrocade, Adventurevision, BBC Micro, Aquarius, and other ultra niche or regionally popular platforms and well.. Kinda hard to show 1 version.

And poo poo, give people modern dev tools, a bit more time to work on it, or just expanded game size and it's kind of sick what people can do. There are multiple A800 and C64 fixes and ports of old classics. Intellivision as well. Donkey Kong and Pac Man seem to be obsessions and franchise projects of the Golden Age homebrew set.

So the ad isn't the ultimate crime some of y'all seem to insist. Iffy but it was the nature and reality of the times.

No, the animation in the ad looks much better than an version of Popeye, you idiot.

Atari 2600 Popeye

Atari 800 Popeye

Atari Ad Popeye

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Yeah the rest of the games are passable. You don't see the blocky jags that they would have had at home (some of them have an interesting outline effect going on), but they're not doing insane sprite scaling, rotation, prismatic palettes or anything like that. The little death blips are smoother than a console, but roughly equivalent.

Popeye is just an enormous lie. You weren't getting sprites that big, that animated, or that detailed even in the arcade. And while the arcade sprites were good, you weren't getting the same kind of seamless Cuphead-like replication of an animated short like in that commercial.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Is it possible that it was just so unrealistic for the time that no reasonable person thought it was representative of the actual game?

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

RZA Encryption posted:

Is it possible that it was just so unrealistic for the time that no reasonable person thought it was representative of the actual game?

Well people are kinda stupid, especially kids. Heck, back in the early 90s a video store started renting Genesis games. People thought they could use them in their NES in spite of everything on the box saying otherwise. I remember the clerks making sure I knew this even though I was an early adopter and being able to spend a few bucks in early 1990 to try out Ghouls n Ghosts, Golden Axe, and the godly Phantasy Star 2 was manna from Heaven. Then because of those idiots who couldn't read or think, they quit renting Genesis games for a year or so because of confusion. :smith:

So there are dumb people who it might have fooled. But as I said and Lobster failed to READ the animation FLUIDITY in the ad was pretty much poo poo. Like 1-2 fps or so. Which I guess is simulated shorthand for Videogames until maybe the mid 90s or so? That and Atari 2600 audio.

Of course screenshots and games in action have always been a thing. Like compare all the versions of Castlevania in a screenshot. Then see it actually PLAY. The NES version destroys even the Amiga and PC versions without even getting into control issues. Lots of DOS games look great in screenshots. Then you see them play and it's a clunky rear end mess until ID and VGA got involved. Not to mention in many games on multiple systems things like slowdown and flicker. The fan made game Crownland looks amazing in screenshots for the Atari 800. Then even in its intended PAL form it is a slow flickery mess that is practically unplayable.

Yeah the ad was kind of deceptive but not entirely. It did say at the end it wasn't actual game footage but it could have fooled a lot of the game audience of the time (kids who don't know any better) and adults who didn't know poo poo about games period and just wanted to get gifts for the wee bairns.

Also speaking of things looking great in screenshots Nostalgia Nerd just did a righteous video on the Master System: https://youtu.be/ssOxXKPSNmM

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Yeah, I'm sure the ad execs were sitting around saying "Hmm, maybe this ad is deceptive. Better drop the framerate on these animations, make it look like the Simpsons"

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

cosmicjim posted:

If Atari games really looked like that I'd go buy an Atari right now.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

DalaranJ posted:

If Atari games really looked like that I'd go buy an Atari right now.

Well not that close but they are working on it: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/242051-popeye-arcade-8-bit-conversion/page-1

Even tweaks to the NES version. I can't say I even like the arcade version all that much but... might be of interest to someone I suppose. Modders are good eggs even when they do silly things like retranslate FF games for the dozenth time. (I'd rather see faster leveling/less encounter mods for nearly every Jrpg ever. And more PC Engine translations. Even just some menu ones for say the Macross strategy game would be ducky. Menus for the PSP Macross games too while I am dreaming. Yes that wouldn't help the dating parts in the third one but that sort of thing is for bad people anyhow so it is a feature to leave it unusable. :colbert:

Topolino
Aug 6, 2004
Maniaco omicida.
I was able to find for sale two Sony CRT monitors, the SSM-20l1 and SSM 20n5u. Both monitors do not have RGB input, but do have S-Video. Would it still be worth it to get any of these monitors? I already have a Sony TV KV-21FV300 with S-Video and Component inputs.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Captain Rufus posted:

Well not that close but they are working on it: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/242051-popeye-arcade-8-bit-conversion/page-1

Even tweaks to the NES version. I can't say I even like the arcade version all that much but... might be of interest to someone I suppose. Modders are good eggs even when they do silly things like retranslate FF games for the dozenth time. (I'd rather see faster leveling/less encounter mods for nearly every Jrpg ever. And more PC Engine translations. Even just some menu ones for say the Macross strategy game would be ducky. Menus for the PSP Macross games too while I am dreaming. Yes that wouldn't help the dating parts in the third one but that sort of thing is for bad people anyhow so it is a feature to leave it unusable. :colbert:

Was with you up until

Captain Rufus posted:

Menus for the PSP Macross games too while I am dreaming. Yes that wouldn't help the dating parts in the third one but that sort of thing is for bad people anyhow so it is a feature to leave it unusable. :colbert:

I think this is why people get on your case most often. I mean, it's forgivable to say things like "faster leveling/less encounter mods for nearly every JRPG ever" when games like Bravely Default have introduced sliders to increase/decrease random encounters. Heck, I was also turned off by JRPGs by random encounters starting on the NES with good ol' DW1, but some people actually LIKE it. Hell, if they didn't, the grinding trope wouldn't continue to be as prevalent in things like Korean MMOs and so on.

While I'm not a guy who is into dating sims at all, perhaps going out of your way to jab at them is a bad call. I, myself, am not at all a fan of strategy games, but I also don't go out of my way to ostracize them by calling them "bad people" just for having a different taste!

All right I'm done.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Topolino posted:

I was able to find for sale two Sony CRT monitors, the SSM-20l1 and SSM 20n5u. Both monitors do not have RGB input, but do have S-Video. Would it still be worth it to get any of these monitors? I already have a Sony TV KV-21FV300 with S-Video and Component inputs.

I'd say it depends on what you feel that you need them for. If you want to do video passthrough (that is, to hook up a system to the pro monitor and also run it out to another display or input device), then it might be worth looking at. This could be useful if you're a streamer and want to use the actual hardware and all that, and don't want the play lag that going through the capture device directly would introduce.

But that's kind of an esoteric niche use, and if you just want displays to play on, I'd probably pass if you already have a CRT with composite and S-Video inputs.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I've been playing Space Harrier 2 for a bit for the first time really in decades and I got to say, it's a let down. I've played the original Space Harrier quite a bit recently so I thought, "Hey, I know this is actually a pseudo-remake for the Genesis" so I figured it might be fun to play, but it's just too clunky. And the music... Space Harrier has one of the all time great soundtracks. Space Harrier II does not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7cCfCjuGio

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I'd advise only playing Space Harrier 32X if you really need to play Space Harrier on your Genesis.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

haha "i don't like a thing so it's good that people who do like that thing can't do the thing"

d0s fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Oct 31, 2016

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

So I joined the ranks of retrogamers who have desecrated their SNES to play Japanese carts. I was faced with buying SF2Turbo in US form, or JP form, and the cost was half as much in JP form so I went for it. Delightfully, my cart even includes some sharpie scrawl from glorious nippon

Anyone know what it says? I'm assuming its someones name, but who knows

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I think I see "yuuki" which would be a name, yeah. Can't make out the other word too well.

E: Ryuuto . Yuuki Ryuu- something, I was thinking of the wrong writing system for that last character. Maybe Ryuuta? I missed that smidge in the corner on phone.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Oct 31, 2016

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
I'm playing MG2 on MSX and Campbell totally just told Snake that Minovsky particles will block out his radar.

AlphaKretin posted:

I think I see "yuuki" which would be a name, yeah. Can't make out the other word too well.

E: Ryuuto . Yuuki Ryuu- something, I was thinking of the wrong writing system for that last character. Maybe Ryuuta? I missed that smidge in the corner on phone.

Yup, Ryuuta. Both are given names so maybe siblings or something.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Was with you up until

I think this is why people get on your case most often. I mean, it's forgivable to say things like "faster leveling/less encounter mods for nearly every JRPG ever" when games like Bravely Default have introduced sliders to increase/decrease random encounters. Heck, I was also turned off by JRPGs by random encounters starting on the NES with good ol' DW1, but some people actually LIKE it. Hell, if they didn't, the grinding trope wouldn't continue to be as prevalent in things like Korean MMOs and so on.

While I'm not a guy who is into dating sims at all, perhaps going out of your way to jab at them is a bad call. I, myself, am not at all a fan of strategy games, but I also don't go out of my way to ostracize them by calling them "bad people" just for having a different taste!

All right I'm done.

Since when can't we make fun of creepy anime poo poo in SA? Dating sims are like GOON OPEN SEASON pretty much.

Fuckin A yo. I even joked they forgot to put my Sex Offender Registry Card in my Sakura Wars PS2 release. Nobody got upset because it's not to be taken entirely seriously though it has a ring of truth to it. (I picked the lawyer lady. Who was like the only actual adult romance option in a default play through. The hell is up with that Japan?)

This is SA. Everything you love is gonna be ragged on by someone at some loving point. ( For anime things it's more like every day...) Laugh it off and don't be a bitch unless you mentally are unable to handle anyone not approving of dumb pop culture poo poo you like. Long as you aren't causing genuine harm to others? You are probably ok to do whatever works for you. Not everyone is gonna like it or has to treat you like a puppy who did a cute trick about it.

That way leads to Fox News and the lovely rear end modern gaming websites where people get death threats for not giving every major franchise release 9 out of 10 minimum. I really shouldn't have to explain the goddamn obvious.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

it's not that you're hating on titty games it's that you go about it in a painfully unfunny way where you just seem really mad and spiteful, which has never been cool on SA. please don't respond with another multiparagraph rant

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

It took me a long time to figure out angry text on the internet wasn't funny, either. It's hilarious in my head, but doesn't come across that way. It worked ok for AVGN in video form for a little while.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

d0s posted:

it's not that you're hating on titty games it's that you go about it in a painfully unfunny way where you just seem really mad and spiteful, which has never been cool on SA. please don't respond with another multiparagraph rant

Agreed, being legit mad or spiteful is not something you should try and share, and even trying to pretend to be mad or spiteful doesn't fly very well.

cosmicjim posted:

It took me a long time to figure out angry text on the internet wasn't funny, either. It's hilarious in my head, but doesn't come across that way. It worked ok for AVGN in video form for a little while.

When you're an angsty teen, it seems cool and funny. When you grow up though, you realize it's kind of meaningless, and there's better things to do with your time. It just seems like a dumb thing to try and hate on something that some people out there like doing.

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016
Let's hug it out, now.

Bring it in.

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva

Captain Rufus posted:

Also speaking of things looking great in screenshots Nostalgia Nerd just did a righteous video on the Master System: https://youtu.be/ssOxXKPSNmM

This was a well done and informative video, I learned a lot about the little Master System that could.

Ineffiable posted:

When you're an angsty teen, it seems cool and funny. When you grow up though, you realize it's kind of meaningless, and there's better things to do with your time. It just seems like a dumb thing to try and hate on something that some people out there like doing.

I really wish this was true

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

wa27 posted:

This popped up on Youtube: It's a Parker Bros ad for their Atari games from 1982, that aired in theaters before ET. This guy has been uploading all sorts of theater commercials from high-def scans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0i0UKrazow

Is that the first instance of a video game commercial using pre-rendered images to simulate gameplay?

Here's a neat ad for Intellivision that also played in theaters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KvlBGmyyb0

It looks like it uses animated recreations of gameplay footage, but the footage adheres really closely to the actual games.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Seems I'll be getting a hand-me-down DLP television from my uncle. I don't really know much about these. Would the video lag any better than a flat-planel plasma? I'm just assuming it's worse than an standard CRT. It has that tube television fatness to the back, but it's way less heavy, I was confused when I picked it up and it ended up being so light.

FWIW it's a Samsung model HLS5087WX/XAA , but I wasn't able to find anything online about it. It has component and "PC" inputs, so I figure it might make a good home for my GameCube, PS2, and Dreamcast at least. S-Video and HDMI as well, though I'll be keeping modern consoles on my existing setup.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Oct 31, 2016

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Pastry of the Year posted:

Here's a neat ad for Intellivision that also played in theaters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KvlBGmyyb0

It looks like it uses animated recreations of gameplay footage, but the footage adheres really closely to the actual games.

Aw man, lo-fi rotoscope is a thing I want more of!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Minidust posted:

Seems I'll be getting a hand-me-down DLP television from my uncle. I don't really know much about these. Would the video lag any better than a flat-planel plasma? I'm just assuming it's worse than an standard CRT. It has that tube television fatness to the back, but it's way less heavy, I was confused when I picked it up and it ended up being so light.

FWIW it's a Samsung model HLS5087WX/XAA , but I wasn't able to find anything online about it. It has component and "PC" inputs, so I figure it might make a good home for my GameCube, PS2, and Dreamcast at least. S-Video and HDMI as well, though I'll be keeping modern consoles on my existing setup.

The light weight comes from the fact that the entire tv is basically a dlp projector shooting onto the screen. That's all they are and why they are so light. The entire tv is essentially blank space, with the projector unit on the bottom shooting up onto the screen at an angle (hence the depth of the unit)

I had one of these models. I also have some bad news.

The video lag was just ok. Playable for sure, but not the best. The worst part of it though was that the internal scaler was total poo poo. The tv can only display 720p, and will internally scale SD content up, and 1080 content down. It will smear and muddy SD content like no ones business. It really only does well with HD content over hdmi, so if you're using an external scaler that can output HDMI at 720 or 1080, then you're probably OK. Otherwise, it's pretty sub optimal.

Also, if it has any white pixels showing on screen, then the DLP chip is on its way out. This is a known failure point with them. If it's not showing them, then you either got lucky or the chip was replaced. If there are white spots, the chip will eventually die.

Mine also went out of focus after a while, and I never looked into focusing it, but I think that comes from moving it around, so be gentle.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :/

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Oct 31, 2016

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

drat, those commercials really make me want an Atari and an Intellivision... and I know full well they can't do smooth animations or rotoscoping.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

liquid courage posted:

drat, those commercials really make me want an Atari and an Intellivision... and I know full well they can't do smooth animations or rotoscoping.

Same here, though when I had a 2600 I remember how quickly I got bored with the games. It can be hard to go that far back sometimes, especially when you have no nostalgia for it. I do however love that early illustrated cartridge label art so I think I might pick up this coffee table book on it. Has anyone else gotten it?

Probably shouldn't mention this but lawyer lady in Sakura Wars? Does Rufus mean Maria? (I still mourn the death of the Sakura Wars PS2 LP, yet don't have the dedication to struggle through the Japanese myself (or play my copy of Sakura Wars 5, apparently).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Turbinosamente posted:

Same here, though when I had a 2600 I remember how quickly I got bored with the games. It can be hard to go that far back sometimes, especially when you have no nostalgia for it. I do however love that early illustrated cartridge label art so I think I might pick up this coffee table book on it. Has anyone else gotten it?

Probably shouldn't mention this but lawyer lady in Sakura Wars? Does Rufus mean Maria? (I still mourn the death of the Sakura Wars PS2 LP, yet don't have the dedication to struggle through the Japanese myself (or play my copy of Sakura Wars 5, apparently).

Probably Sagiitta Weinberg, the Harlem lawyer woman from 5. There's a pretty big part where you help her solve some social problems in Harlem with the power of lawyering.

• Locked thread