Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
:911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Stewie is no joke

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

I think the funniest outcome would be sk losing but it would mean c9 winning a lan so I'm conflicted.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

I've been a fan of SK for a lot longer but C9 is finally the team I've wanted them to be. So whoever wins, as long as they're not all 16-0's I'm fine with.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Goofballs posted:

I think the funniest outcome would be sk losing but it would mean c9 winning a lan so I'm conflicted.

what's wrong with c9 winning

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Wait what the gently caress is going on :laffo:

Thorgot
Apr 4, 2010

Smol posted:

Wait what the gently caress is going on :laffo:

:psyduck:

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

i'm gonna need sk to lose in an incredibly controversial way please

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Well there you go folks

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

These new timeout rules are terrible. 1 timeout ought to be enough.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Jeza posted:

Unless they have made drastic behind the scenes changes, the system is still modeled on Glicko-2 which uses a rating deviation system. The more games you play at a relatively consistent level, the more your rating deviation decreases because the model gets more confident in the accuracy of your rating.

To "break" your rating deviation you'd need to consistently outperform or underperform your deviation, which will make the system reassess where exactly your rating might fall. Another possible way would be to play no games at all for the maximum amount of time before rank decay (maybe a partial reason why they introduced it) and then play. The less games you play, the less confidence the model has in your rating, so your deviation increases.

There's no way they are encouraging smurf accounts. For a start, this knowledge is pretty much unknown, and second, since there is almost no confirmed information, there's little point in trying to game the system. The best way to rank up remains playing well. If you believe you are better than your rank, but have stayed in the same rank for hundreds of games or something, you're probably actually in the right rank.

Once you start winstreaking, you can go up ranks in an extremely short space of time. Like a roulette wheel, if it's been red/black 50% of the time for 10,000 spins, but then starts hitting black 10, 15, 20 times in a row, then you lose confidence that it's still working correctly. A 20 winstreak when you've been consistently 50/50 is one in a million. Considering the ranking gaps, I'd say that assuming it didn't start with a lot of lost games, the maximum amount of wins to break out of any rank is no more than 10-12. But even if you don't winstreak, if you're winning more games than you lose, you'll rank up eventually.

is this why i can't derank no matter how badly i play?

or rank up on the rare times i win a bunch in a row

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI

Google Butt posted:

i'm gonna need sk to lose in an incredibly controversial way please

against an american meme team?

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

13-2 is pretty scary.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Smol posted:

13-2 is pretty scary.

It's c9

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Classic

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
welpers rough for c9 rn

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Heartbreaking for Tim there. Absolutely sick though.

drowningidiot
Sep 27, 2014
They're gonna get shut out in this half aren't they :(

edit: nevermind!

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Still. It's one moneyfuck round away from getting to double eco territory.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

It's also SK on Overpass.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Ska really needs to show up jfc

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Ska played really well in the semis at least. That said I'm watching football and not CS because PRIORITIES

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

they should change their name to Choke9

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
Holy smokes

drowningidiot
Sep 27, 2014
C9 mentally destroyed at this point. SK is going to completely roll them on mirage.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
lol

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

acing and still losing the round perfectly sums up c9

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

too many loving pauses

Diddie
Sep 1, 2001

What the heck is going on in here???
Another 13-2 half incoming?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
SK proving the earth is flat by falling right off the edge.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

looks like sk are tilting harder than 5 simples.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
"its okay boys, its t sided"

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

13-2 cmon boys

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

I think someone checked the history of the previous large tournaments and a different team has won each of the past 6:

ECS Season 1 - G2
ESL One Cologne - SK
ELEAGUE Season 1 - Virtus.Pro
SLI Season 2 - NiP
ESL One New York - Na'Vi
EPICENTER Moscow - Dignitas

...Is it going to be 7?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

perfect loving ending.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

:911:

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

stewie and tim best pickups 2016.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

:eng99:

Dispersal
Nov 5, 2005

Photex posted:

stewie and tim best pickups 2016.

Tim is nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Dispersal posted:

Tim is nuts.
I'm so, so glad my man Tim Ta got the chance to prove himself, and did. :allears: