Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
The current Halloween event (besides being a lot of fun) is a really good way to get currency for gear and to earn a lot of XP fast, so experimenting with builds is pretty easy at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Just logged in again, pretty clueless. That "meowing" quest alert, is that the event?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

mike12345 posted:

Just logged in again, pretty clueless. That "meowing" quest alert, is that the event?

It's one of them. I think it was Halloween 2012?

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Len posted:

It's one of them. I think it was Halloween 2012?

Is that the one that gives the XP? Honestly this is all super-confusing, and after googling a bit (it's an ARG?) I'm starting to lose interest again.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

mike12345 posted:

Is that the one that gives the XP? Honestly this is all super-confusing, and after googling a bit (it's an ARG?) I'm starting to lose interest again.

Someone years ago decided missing out on content was a bad idea so every time a holiday comes around you get a new one plus the old stuff. I don't play anymore so I can't be sure what the newest one is.

Just wait until Christmas when the Mayans come back.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I haven't played since last year but looks like the new 2016 event stars "The Rider" and features "invasions on a global scale." That should be the good xp one?

2015's was The Seven Silences. You need access to Tokyo then the mission will pop for you and send you to a place in London. I liked that mission series and it had some strange moments like chasing your pants around as people laugh at you.

2014's was The Broadcast and has all the old radio dramas playing in graveyard locations around the world. If I remember right you need to find 3 then you can go fight the boss in Transylvania. You should get a pop up mission when logging in where a guy talks to you about the transmissions.

2013's returned to the Cat God with a raid(?) boss version and added a bunch of very short side stories starting with Spooky Stories of Solomon Island in the Savage Coast.

2012's started things off with the Cat God with a few Halloween missions around Solomon Island.

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.
https://www.tswdb.com/events/samhain this is a good summary of the Halloween/Samhain events. I've been using it to catch up with everything since this is my first Halloween.

Halloween 2016 That link is a little confusing at first but basically a Rider spawns at the candles location in a zone and after killing some special mobs that spawn in the zone, the candles are lit and a raid boss spawns. There's a quest for killing one of these bosses in Agartha near the NY portal. There's also some kind of puzzle about killing the bosses but I haven't kept up with that.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

DryGoods posted:

That link is a little confusing at first
You're not kidding. :v:

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
There's several missions that give normal mission amount xp, but it's the world bosses that make this good for power leveling. I just downed one that yielded 300k xp and 70 BB. There's also loot drops that can be sold for a pretty penny if you're short on cash. Join the event chat channel and meetup on the shout outs, during peak hours can chain them together for a massive haul.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

I can't tell if people are covering it up, or if I'm too low-level to see it in the first place.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The people complaining about the Overwatch Sombra Arg are just making me think of the filth hallway event. They have no idea what a poo poo event really is.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.

DryGoods posted:

https://www.tswdb.com/events/samhain this is a good summary of the Halloween/Samhain events. I've been using it to catch up with everything since this is my first Halloween.

Halloween 2016 That link is a little confusing at first but basically a Rider spawns at the candles location in a zone and after killing some special mobs that spawn in the zone, the candles are lit and a raid boss spawns. There's a quest for killing one of these bosses in Agartha near the NY portal. There's also some kind of puzzle about killing the bosses but I haven't kept up with that.

The puzzle is to summon an empowered version of the boss, with more health and different? drops after you kill it. Basically there's three sports in each zone where people need to sit and do the /worship emote while the boss is summoning while another person does stuff with items that drop from the mobs to summon the boss and the normal version of the boss. It's the most ridiculously complicated thing I've ever seen in an MMO and yet somehow with TSW it works. The spreadsheet you linked there has the locations and how many people each location needs, because of course that's not a fixed amount either just for that little extra bit of complication.

Edit: Also if you're a lore collecting type, the empowered bosses drop different lore pieces than the normal one. There's two lore pieces per region (New England, Egypt, Transylvania and Tokyo are the four regions), one from the normal boss and one from the empowered boss. Both are random chance after the boss dies, not guaranteed.

General Maximus fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Oct 29, 2016

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Wait the event involves fighting a smaller boss and then a giant raid boss?! Would you say it's like a harbinger/super jack/super hel/golem?

Hopefully they didn't launch it with one zero too many like super hel.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.
No, they're both giant raid bosses. One is just more giant than the other. Specifically the normal version has twenty million health and the empowered version has thirty million. For reference, golems usually have about seventeen million if I remember rightly.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
I'm catching up on issues, and tsw really sucked all the fun(com) out of the Call of the Nameless towards the end of it. Turned a kind of nice issue into something I don't want to do again (though I probably will because gotta get those 'chievs). I also forgot how frustrating some of their clues are when I'm not playing regularly enough to remember every little spot in a zone.

The Halloween events are pretty chill for the most part, it was nice to find out I could solo the 5 man dungeon from the meowling. Saved me from having to actually talk to people.

E: editted out the question that was already answered.

TracerM17 fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Oct 30, 2016

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
Funcom is selling the ultimate complete edition (i.e. ALL the content packs included) for $21, hell of a deal: https://buy.thesecretworld.com/

Not sure how long it will last.

Edit: fixed. Complete edition is even better.

Ossipago fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Oct 30, 2016

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

no that's the complete edition. don't make the mistake and confuse it with the ultimate edition, like I did.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

So Steam is selling the ultimate edition for £13.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/359380/

The setting and everything look interesting, how is the gameplay and all that?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Geokinesis posted:

So Steam is selling the ultimate edition for £13.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/359380/

The setting and everything look interesting, how is the gameplay and all that?

The atmosphere and missions are good. The MMO gameplay is average or bad.

orcane fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Oct 30, 2016

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

orcane posted:

The atmosphere and missions are good. The MMO gameplay is average or bad.

Can you expand on how bad is average/bad?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Don't buy the ultimate edition off steam, get the complete edition here for an extra four quid. The ultimate edition only includes issues up to 11, the complete has 12-15 too. Why they haven't put the complete edition on steam yet, I couldn't say. :iiam:

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
Just a PSA to anyone starting back/new, when you login type "/chat join event" to join the event channel, then when you see a shout out for a world boss right-click that person's name and select "meet up" to teleport to their location. There are multiple instances of each map, so to double check that you're in the right one and not an overflow you can press shift + f9 to see the server info.

All the bosses are fun, but if you're short on cash keep an eye out for "Super Jack" shout outs. The participation reward is a purple loot sack that's currently selling for around 2 million on the AH. If you're new to the game this is a great way to fund sprint unlocks etc..

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
How much these bother you depends on what game you come from or what you expect from TSW:

Movement is serviceable but not very fluid, and the game tries to have jumping puzzles without air control. The deck system is good because it adds flexibility and your character isn't stuck in a role, but it's also bad because skills are not well balanced. For the few high-end things that means cookie-cutter builds, and for everything else it's easy to create terrible builds if you don't look them up, because the skills don't always do what the description says, or what you think it means. Combat can feel clunky because of how it interacts with latency and the movement system. They overhauled the combat experience a bit so your average leveling build doesn't take forever to kill mobs anymore, but overall combat is unpolished and there's often more stuff to kill/standing in your way than necessary (but I think they reduced that too).

Character progression is skills and gear - you don't have levels except you still have levels: XP goes into your equipment skills and unlocks your deck abilities instead of having either determined by character levels. For other MMO systems, there's your average gear treadmill that's not good, but it's not offensively bad either since you can get a few items/upgrades from the DLC mission chains and you can (slowly) earn tokens to buy "endgame" gear even in easy solo content. Originally the game was about earning XP for skills/abilities and farming dungeons for gear/tokens for gear, they since added two grindy systems on top of this. You can ignore or buy your way through parts of the new ones (augment system via scenarios is optional, AEGIS system is mandatory if you want to continue the story into Tokyo) but they're not fun or good systems and were basically added because dedicated players had maxed out their skills and gear in the first year of the game.

Missions are good because they're usually more interesting than "kill 5 things" (those exist but they're mostly optional sidequests), also the game handles quest chains better than almost every other MMO I've played - you get a mission, go to an area, do your stuff, phone the NPC, get an update that completes your quest and gives you a new one. Investigation missions especially are very cool even if you don't solve them all by yourself (but you should try!), sabotage missions can be bad because the game tries to be a stealth game sometimes and it's not good at it, also the movement/jumping thing because you're asked to avoid trip wires and platform across moving trains. The story is pretty strong (hope you like zombies) and the game nails the mood well in most areas. Dungeons are very good because unlike the quest zones, they don't suffer from "too much trash" syndrome, the bosses have fun mechanics and they tie into the rest of the story. TSW has my favourite MMO dungeons, I just wish the gameplay was better.

Other stuff like PvP or the scenarios are just bad but they're also 100% optional. And if you want to poopsock you can farm gear in nightmare dungeons and raids for a while, I liked the NM dungeons if actually competent developers designed and balanced them, but Funcom does not have those developers.

I honestly think the game is worth it even without sales pricing as an atmospheric RPG with some clunky mechanics, but I wouldn't buy it if you're looking for a great MMO experience.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

Ossipago posted:

Funcom is selling the ultimate complete edition (i.e. ALL the content packs included) for $21, hell of a deal: https://buy.thesecretworld.com/

Not sure how long it will last.

Edit: fixed. Complete edition is even better.

That's not even that bad of a deal if you are only missing 1 issue (assuming you can add it to an existing account) with the 1 month membership included. And to think I just gave them like 30 something to get the 2 issues I wanted and a month membership.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

orcane posted:

Other stuff like PvP or the scenarios are just bad but they're also 100% optional. And if you want to poopsock you can farm gear in nightmare dungeons and raids for a while, I liked the NM dungeons if actually competent developers designed and balanced them, but Funcom does not have those developers.

I still love that they couldn't reproduce the haughbui mother bug reliably. Fuckin' pub groups in elite gear could do that.

And while I have a lot of negative things to say about the game now that's because my opinion is heavily influenced by the end game grind I stupidly did. I loved the actual lead up to the end game. The zones were fun with beat stories and missions and I loved the lore. But once I finished my skill wheel and did every mission I didn't stop playing. Instead I started to grind nightmare dungeons and once I got all my gear I kept going and that's what did it. The little bugs and broken things suck but when you play casually it isn't too bad but if you play enough to do the nm dungeons twice in one sitting things start to get really grating. Hell im pretty sure to this day you can flush the toilet in Ankh and get behind the spider boss.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I agree, the game's issues were no big deal if you just went through the zones and did the dungeons and just enjoyed the singleplayer game that's hidden in MMORPG stuff. Sure the mob density sucked even more then and if you played "better" games in the past you noticed right away that combat/movement was off. Your build sucked and you looked up some cookie cutter stuff, that wasn't good and the first signs that maybe some skills needed better designers and better documentation, but it was manageable. Missions were fun, the odd sabotage mission sucked but they were rare at first. I'm no fan of zombies and A'kab sucked, but I loved the first Egypt zone, general story was good. Dungeons have Cthulhu and phantom cosmonauts and you do not spend 80% of the time fighting trash packs, like I still haven't seen a popular MMO that does dungeon pacing/story better. You finish your vampire business and do the weird angel/demon story missions and you're done.

Everything after was a mess. Gatekeeper is a cool concept but done in a terrible way. Nightmares with you/Rasheed/Hugh/other goon crew was fun, but they're all over the place, as if designed by people who couldn't possibly beat them without god mode. Luckily the endgame content never drew me in as it might have two years earlier. WoW managed to break gear treadmills for me forever so I never got burned out quite like you. Meanwhile Joel was smugly posting condescending poo poo while being one of the least competent "game director" in the history of game directors. And all they shat out was "fixes" to "exploits" and a handful of missions. And golem events. Also scenarios :bang:

I know it's better now, but unfortunately I also hate everything about Tokyo systems, so I will never "finish" it :(

orcane fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 30, 2016

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

orcane posted:

Everything after was a mess. Gatekeeper is a cool concept but done in a terrible way. Nightmares with you/Rasheed/Hugh/other goon crew was fun, but they're all over the place, as if designed by people who couldn't possibly beat them without god mode. Luckily the endgame content never drew me in as it might have two years earlier. WoW managed to break gear treadmills for me forever so I never got burned out quite like you. Meanwhile Joel was smugly posting condescending poo poo while being one of the least competent "game director" in the history of game directors. And all they shat out was "fixes" to "exploits" and a handful of missions. And golem events. Also scenarios :bang:

I know it's better now, but unfortunately I also hate everything about Tokyo systems, so I will never "finish" it :(

Oh god Joel was the worst. "Hey your game is broken for people do you know anything about that?" "No it isn't. Nobody at all is complaining about it being broken." "Look at the bug report forum the entire front page is people complaining." And then radio silence for what two months? Turned out people using amd processor with nvidia graphics cards couldn't play because they broke something that hard.

I want to play Tokyo but every single time I reinstall I'm reminded it loads slower than any other zone in the game and that I still don't want to deal with aegis swapping.

Edit: But for all my bitching my wifi network is still named the Schwartz Mirage and I'll still recommend people play the story straight through. But be sure to do Ankh. Dr. Klein is the best NPC of all time.

Len fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Oct 31, 2016

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Len posted:

But be sure to do Ankh. Dr. Klein is the best NPC of all time.
:agreed:

Also, Tokyo is still just a massive pile of roadblocks they threw at the players but aegis isn't too bad. If you get a friend to boost you through the mission to get a second set of controllers. And you use a mod to handle swapping for you. And you grind out all the points in the speed skill. And and and. :suicide:

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Len posted:

Oh god Joel was the worst. "Hey your game is broken for people do you know anything about that?" "No it isn't. Nobody at all is complaining about it being broken." "Look at the bug report forum the entire front page is people complaining." And then radio silence for what two months? Turned out people using amd processor with nvidia graphics cards couldn't play because they broke something that hard.

I want to play Tokyo but every single time I reinstall I'm reminded it loads slower than any other zone in the game and that I still don't want to deal with aegis swapping.

Edit: But for all my bitching my wifi network is still named the Schwartz Mirage and I'll still recommend people play the story straight through. But be sure to do Ankh. Dr. Klein is the best NPC of all time.

Thankfully there is a mod that switches your controllers automatically based on the shields of your targeted creature, making Tokyo much more bearable. I think it even switches your shields wich I don't even know how to do manually and I don't care at this point. I hate Tokyo as much as the next guy, but still completed it because:
1. Quests are still good. Fear nothing foundation HQ was great and interesting, that parking garage was terrifying if you are into that kind of thing.
2. Most characters are as amazing as you've come to expect from TSW.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

orcane posted:

How much these bother you depends on what game you come from or what you expect from TSW:

This has basically been my experience. It's atmospheric as Hell, the cinematic mission introductions and dialogues are really effective, but as an MMO it stumbles like one of the countless Solomon Island zombies. And that's deeply frustrating, because someone really went all-out in cooking up TSW's unique lore and tying in real-world mythology and Fortean goofiness.

I don't recommend visiting the official forums, especially not if you're looking for advice or to vent your frustrations. The unexamined smug in there is dense enough to qualify as a solid.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
How will the game work for me if i just buy the base version? I'm not sure how those "issue" things work, I assume that it's not the case of trying to play WoW without expansions?

Kryopsis
Jun 30, 2012

Shapes and colours the likes of which I've never seen!
For all its flaws, the atmosphere, lore and dialogues of TSW are worth experiencing. Ultimately 'real-world' MMOs are the hardest to make (at least compared to highly stylised generic high fantasy grindfests) and Funcom wasn't exactly the right company to even attempt it. Nonetheless even four years later there still isn't anything else like TSW, especially with World of Darkness Online not happening. Since the game came out, many MMOs disappointed me and looking back I suppose that TSW actually disappointed me the least. Hell, it's more like the original Guild Wars than GW2 for whatever that's worth.

Basically The Secret World is a remarkably well-written and atmospheric adventure game hiding inside an ambitious but janky MMO.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Bieeardo posted:

I don't recommend visiting the official forums, especially not if you're looking for advice or to vent your frustrations. The unexamined smug in there is dense enough to qualify as a solid.

That's because negative opinions get you dogpiled by posters and can get you banned for making the devs sad.

Edit: the testlive forums is where you can actually accomplish getting broken systems changed. Before they deleted my account id managed to get broken aggro fields fixed with an actual apology from the cinematics head when I proved him wrong.

Of course there's also blatantly wrong things like then saying GMs have the ability to reset guild rankings if they get reset which is incredibly easy to do. All you have to do is change cabal type and BOOM everyone is rank one again except you.

Len fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Oct 31, 2016

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Len posted:

That's because negative opinions get you dogpiled by posters and can get you banned for making the devs sad.

Edit: the testlive forums is where you can actually accomplish getting broken systems changed. Before they deleted my account id managed to get broken aggro fields fixed with an actual apology from the cinematics head when I proved him wrong.

Of course there's also blatantly wrong things like then saying GMs have the ability to reset guild rankings if they get reset which is incredibly easy to do. All you have to do is change cabal type and BOOM everyone is rank one again except you.

TSW forums are basically the beta version of the official Star Citizen community :v:

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
Is #FreeEvilBillMurray still a thing?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
So has Funcom talked at all about any new issues in the works, or is this still pretty much in maintenance mode?

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Does anyone know how long the Halloween event will go on for? I can't find dates for it anywhere. I have this fear that Funcom's all-pervasive eccentricity would make them actually do a Halloween event for only 4-5 days.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Brave New World posted:

Does anyone know how long the Halloween event will go on for? I can't find dates for it anywhere. I have this fear that Funcom's all-pervasive eccentricity would make them actually do a Halloween event for only 4-5 days.
They don't seem to have announced an end date, so get your halloween affairs in order. :v:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Usually a week or two after the holiday because something was super broken and they didn't bother to fix it until a week in.

Christmas 2012 :allears

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

RottenK posted:

How will the game work for me if i just buy the base version? I'm not sure how those "issue" things work, I assume that it's not the case of trying to play WoW without expansions?

You should buy the complete version posted earlier. It is maybe 10 bucks more expensive than base version but if you end up liking the game, it will save you a lot of money. Like 10 dollars per issue.

• Locked thread