Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Subjunctive posted:

My shampoo has caffeine in it, which makes me think of this thread and roll my eyes every morning.

I saw that on a clearance rack the other day. Does it actually... do anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Crow Jane posted:

I saw that on a clearance rack the other day. Does it actually... do anything?

It does as much as dipping your fingers into some iced tea for a minute, I imagine. The scalp isn't any more transmissive than other skin, right?

My morning routine involves two mugs of strong tea and 200mg of modafinil, though, so I doubt I'd notice even if it did have some mild effect.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Subjunctive posted:

It does as much as dipping your fingers into some iced tea for a minute, I imagine. The scalp isn't any more transmissive than other skin, right?

My morning routine involves two mugs of strong tea and 200mg of modafinil, though, so I doubt I'd notice even if it did have some mild effect.

You're not keeping up with modern science.
http://www.theonion.com/article/report-americans-receive-majority-of-vitamins-thro-1541

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck
Caffeine can be absorbed by your hair roots and is supposed to help speed up growth/stop it from falling out. Most shampoos don't contain enough to actually do anything but that's what it's for.

Also it makes your manpoo real kewl unlike those sissy ladyblossom ones

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

PiratePing posted:

Caffeine can be absorbed by your hair roots and is supposed to help speed up growth/stop it from falling out. Most shampoos don't contain enough to actually do anything but that's what it's for.

:lol: if you don't use tar shampoo.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Jerry Cotton posted:

Coal tar shampoo is awesome and I won't have anyone say otherwise :colbert:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Found on /r/lifehacks.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Jerry Cotton posted:

:lol: if you even know what kind of shampoo your manservant Enrique buys for your morning scrub-a-dub. Just close your eyes and let the magic fingers enchant you like every morning.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Platystemon posted:

Found on /r/lifehacks.

You're supposed to leave the gas cap wedged between the gas hole lid and the nozzle as collateral for when you drive off with the nozzle still in.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
LYNX adrenaline charge up protection microactive capsules

Holy poo poo marketing is hacking at the speed of sound these days I swear.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

PiratePing posted:

I am a grown-rear end man and if I want to smell like strawberries and cream that is exactly no one's business.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Have you considered that you could smell like SPORT DEFENSE?

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Karate Bastard posted:

Have you considered that you could smell like SPORT DEFENSE?

Please describe, in no less than 100 words, what "SPORT DEFENSE" smells like.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah I'm gonna go the no-comedy route on this one for the sheer incredulity of it.

Review

Caveat emptor bitches.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Karate Bastard posted:

Yeah I'm gonna go the no-comedy route on this one for the sheer incredulity of it.

Review

Caveat emptor bitches.

Mel Taylor posted:

I choke and wheeze for hours after he uses it.

Pappy posted:

Doesn't last and I choke when putting it on

Alex O posted:

For the last year or so I had to put my shirt on before spraying as the fumes choked me.

Ang S posted:

My hubby has been using the men's deodorant spray for years. In the last year the formula seems to have changed to become a death spray. Each morning as I walk into the bathroom after he uses his deodorant I walk into a cloud of fumes that make me choke and gag and vomit.

Newie posted:

and the toxic fumes that hang in the air choke me and leave a vile taste in my mouth when it is breathed in

... Just from the first page, and now I'm genuinely curious: How the gently caress are Aussies putting on spray deodorant that it's making them gag and vomit? Do they not realize that it's deodorant and not meant to be sprayed in your face?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Zipperelli. posted:

... Just from the first page, and now I'm genuinely curious: How the gently caress are Aussies putting on spray deodorant that it's making them gag and vomit? Do they not realize that it's deodorant and not meant to be sprayed in your face?

Deodorant teenhack: spray enough to fumigate the room and you can be sure no one can smell what it's covering up. :eng99:

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Can't argue that ain't 1-to-1 accurate for what I imagine SPORT DEFENSE smells like, so good job chem dept, well done marketing, good collab on this one.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Zipperelli. posted:

How the gently caress else are you supposed to cure bad breath? Brush your teeth like you're some kind of pommy bastard?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I spray deodorant into my pits and make a point of not breathing in immediately afterwards, because the fumes linger in the air for a few seconds and yes, they do make me cough if I breathe in deeply. I don't get what's so hard to understand about a spray not only landing where you point the nozzle.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Simply Simon posted:

I spray deodorant into my pits and make a point of not breathing in immediately afterwards, because the fumes linger in the air for a few seconds and yes, they do make me cough if I breathe in deeply. I don't get what's so hard to understand about a spray not only landing where you point the nozzle.

Why do you spray perfume into your armpits instead of using an anti-perspirant like a normal person

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Why do you spray perfume into your armpits instead of using an anti-perspirant like a normal person
What do you mean?

I'm using this. Maybe it's a problem with German slang (you know, like "Handy"), but this is a "Deo" for me. Maybe the technical term is "anti-transpirant"? Is there a difference? What else would you use this for?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Deodorants cover the smell with another smell, or attack the smell itself.

Antiperspirants use ~chemical magic~ to prevent you from sweating so there’s no smell in the first place.

Or at least that’s the theory.

Hardly anyone knows there’s a difference, and that’s fine because most products use a combination of both methods anyway.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Simply Simon posted:

What do you mean?

I'm using this. Maybe it's a problem with German slang (you know, like "Handy"), but this is a "Deo" for me. Maybe the technical term is "anti-transpirant"? Is there a difference? What else would you use this for?

Yeah that only adds a second layer of smell. In America people use stick deodorants like this:

It leaves an invisible layer of kind of a waxy substance on your skin that stops you from sweating so you don't have any smells to cover up in the first place. The spray stuff exists here too but it's just glorified cologne. And one time a kid used too much of it and DIED. :stare:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

We do have sticks too but I like spraying on more.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Simply Simon posted:

We do have sticks too but I like spraying on more.

But that one kid DIED :stare:

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

But that one kid DIED :stare:

Natural selection is a heck of a thing.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Somfin posted:

:lol: if you even know what kind of shampoo your manservant Enrique buys for your morning scrub-a-dub. Just close your eyes and let the magic fingers enchant you like every morning.

Uhh it's kind of hard to miss the fact that it smells like tar.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Jerry Cotton posted:

Enrique also smells like tar

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Jerry Cotton posted:

:lol: if you don't have your manservant Enrique constantly refresh your cologne rather than allowing such a base and low scent to ever reach your nostrils

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Somfin posted:

base and low scent

:frogout: if it was good enough for the armadas it's good enough for me.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
You can save money on deodorant sticks if you just apply a few layers of epoxy under the pits or, you know, something else that doesn't stupidly just goes away overnight.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Even deodorants without antiperspirant ingredients aren't just covering up the smell with another one; they reduce odor by preventing the growth of bacteria, which is why unscented deodorant exists and works.

Antiperspirants can definitely come in spray form, too.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Even deodorants without antiperspirant ingredients aren't just covering up the smell with another one; they reduce odor by preventing the growth of bacteria, which is why unscented deodorant exists and works.

Antiperspirants can definitely come in spray form, too.

I use a spray antiperspirant. It's also scented. Smells like what a chemical engineer thinks a spring meadow is supposed to smell like but the label says "Clean Comfort".

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Yeah that only adds a second layer of smell. In America people use stick deodorants like this:

It leaves an invisible layer of kind of a waxy substance on your skin that stops you from sweating so you don't have any smells to cover up in the first place. The spray stuff exists here too but it's just glorified cologne. And one time a kid used too much of it and DIED.

Both of the spray products that were linked are anti-antiperspirants. Maybe you folks are on mobile or something, but it's written right on the cans.

The only product that's strictly a deodorant is the stick that you linked. They literally make that in an antiperspirant version but you chose to use the deodorant-only version as your example.

Platystemon posted:

Hardly anyone knows there’s a difference, and that’s fine because most products use a combination of both methods anyway.

Goons, goons don't know the difference.

MisterOblivious has a new favorite as of 19:01 on Oct 31, 2016

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

On the subject of hand cranks for phones, I bought one once off a drop ship site. It sounded like a jet engine and made my phone complain that the charger was broken cus it was generating like an eighth of an amp.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Neito posted:

On the subject of hand cranks for phones, I bought one once off a drop ship site. It sounded like a jet engine and made my phone complain that the charger was broken cus it was generating like an eighth of an amp.

Sounds like you need to get swole.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

MisterOblivious posted:

Both of the spray products that were linked are anti-antiperspirants. Maybe you folks are on mobile or something, but it's written right on the cans.

The only product that's strictly a deodorant is the stick that you linked. They literally make that in an antiperspirant version but you chose to use the deodorant-only version as your example.

Mobile :shrug:

Spray deodorant is still for weirdos though.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I like the new spray antiperspirants they make because they go on dry without a mess but still actually work, which is more than I can say for some of the stuff I've had to use in the past. Like roll on, which would try to rip out your body hair and still didn't work with a drat.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/Slate/status/793182025851232256

Jesus Christ, no. gently caress. God. No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Internet Journalism everyone!