Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Zzulu posted:

theyre a bunch of fat millennial film school dorks who couldn't make it in the real industry so they accidentally became popular on youtube instead, a medium they actively despis, but have to deal with because its the only way they can make money

every waking moment is torment for these men

M-Millennials?? Oh god, no!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
im also a millennial and every waking moment is torment for me

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah dude life is suffering this is already well known

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
Weird of them to upload something new in the dark hours of sunday morning...

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

CJacobs posted:

M-Millennials?? Oh god, no!!!

Pretty sure old man Rich is Gen X

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Has anyone said Millennial Falcon yet?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Berious posted:

Pretty sure old man Rich is Gen X

Jack is a millenial, though.

CaptainFish
Mar 31, 2011

It's Psy-Crow my mortal Enemy! I swear my soily vengeance upon him and his fowl ilk!

reignofevil posted:

See and its good there because we had a protagonist who was more humanized and easier to sympathize with as an audience because it turns out using your magic bullshit powers to fix all your problems is kind of hard.

I guess I am just saying I wish episode 7 was more fleshed out.

It's also nice that in Star Wars, Han acted as a sort of skeptical foil to Obi Wan. I feel like most of the issue in 7 is that Han shows up and says everything is true almost as an excuse to skip the training and just have Rey doing stuff she might've heard about somewhere. And it just happens that all that stuff is fanservice force things that people will generally enjoy seeing. Never mind that in the original trilogy it was more impactful to gradually see how much the force could do in the hands of a couple of unassuming old guys and a young dork. Oh and Vader too.

I dunno how you fix this though, because audiences already know that the force does cool stuff, and maybe that's why they decided to skip the slow ramp up with a quicker ramp up in this film and then explain it later by revealing Rey's backstory. That just makes me wish we could've gotten more of that backstory in this film instead of a kinda unsatisfying and rote retread of the death star and tractor beam bits in A New Hope.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

I'm waiting for episode 8 to go full on :lost:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah I also much prefer the idea that even the best Jedi's force powers are still subtle enough that a lot of people could think they were myths or exaggerated. Jedi were rare and small in number so hard to say what was true or not, it made sense.
But then we find out Jedi's led armies and were one-man-armies them selves just dragon ball Zing whole enemy forces.

The Jedi old ben presented in Episode III were mysterious, the Jedi presented in the prequels are anime characters or a league of super heroes.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Knights of the Old Republic 2 had the best representation of Jedis and Sith than any of the prequels, TV shows, or other media.

Sefiros
Mar 16, 2006

go radish go

a bone to pick posted:

She's literally just Luke Skywalker but a girl instead of a boy, they're both Mary Sues but Luke was the self-insert originally.

Luke Skywalker

Luke S.

Lucas

George Lucas

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
How does anything become mythic in an age where all the info can be stored digitally

JEDIS ARE JUST A MYTH

*thousands of videos of jedis on star wars equivalent of youtube*

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Oh right anyone can attach a repulsor unit to a speeder stuck in some mud and film them selves using "the force" to lift it out.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
the jedis even had like an official building in the city, they fought massive wars

hm probably a myth

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Zzulu posted:

How does anything become mythic in an age where all the info can be stored digitally

JEDIS ARE JUST A MYTH

Plus the jedi had a massive temple in what was essentially the Capitol of the universe, and were bodyguards for famous politicians.

It's the equivalent of the FBI being a myth.

JB50 fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Oct 30, 2016

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
im sure that a person who spent their entire life on a planet composed 100% of sand knows a lot about galactic history

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Zzulu posted:

JEDIS ARE JUST A MYTH

Agreed and here's a video of one of those mythical Jedis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPPj6viIBmU

If Yoda showed this to Luke, he never would have doubted him.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

gently caress off Batman posted:

Agreed and here's a video of one of those mythical Jedis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPPj6viIBmU

If Yoda showed this to Luke, he never would have doubted him.

Still better than the prequels

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLanYkRg09I

new worst of the worst, no mike, jack and josh.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

gently caress it has josh in it not watching that

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

CaptainFish posted:

It's also nice that in Star Wars, Han acted as a sort of skeptical foil to Obi Wan. I feel like most of the issue in 7 is that Han shows up and says everything is true almost as an excuse to skip the training and just have Rey doing stuff she might've heard about somewhere. And it just happens that all that stuff is fanservice force things that people will generally enjoy seeing. Never mind that in the original trilogy it was more impactful to gradually see how much the force could do in the hands of a couple of unassuming old guys and a young dork. Oh and Vader too.

I dunno how you fix this though, because audiences already know that the force does cool stuff, and maybe that's why they decided to skip the slow ramp up with a quicker ramp up in this film and then explain it later by revealing Rey's backstory. That just makes me wish we could've gotten more of that backstory in this film instead of a kinda unsatisfying and rote retread of the death star and tractor beam bits in A New Hope.
Its called being creative and writing a new story.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

temple posted:

Its called being creative and writing a new story.

But the previous story made lots of money, a new story adds an unknown variable into what should be a completely safe marketing equation. Also if you don't check-box every nerd expectation they will get mad and write hateful things, mostly about women.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Zzulu posted:

the jedis even had like an official building in the city, they fought massive wars

hm probably a myth

The prequels are low-key retconned out.

dreezy posted:

new worst of the worst, no mike, jack and josh.

No Mike? It's about time.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Waitress, more butter.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"I think Jay was a bully".

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Pineapple and Canadian Bacon :-(

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Chopping Mall is a legit great movie. too good for best of the worst.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Pop-o-Matic Trouble posted:

Chopping Mall is a legit great movie. too good for best of the worst.

I'm going to carry around copies of it for when clients suggest replacing me with a robot.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It's kind of unsettling to see them laugh at bad movies when Mike is in the hospital fighting for his life.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

rip jay

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
"There's nothing better than a good head explosion."

skull wall
Jul 29, 2012

Jay didn't like Clown. I await the goonrage.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Rich is the best actor. Jack is a big bag of trash.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!
Jack went to the RLM halloween as Mike Stoklasa.

client
Aug 19, 2010

skull wall posted:

Jay didn't like Clown. I await the goonrage.

hes right cause clown was total poo poo

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.

Giga Gaia posted:

Jack went to the RLM halloween as Mike Stoklasa.

He drank like him too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
Sorry Mike. Putting Rich Evans' head on boobs only turns me on more.

• Locked thread