Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

red19fire posted:

By "just recently due to politics' what you mean is that Cliven Bundy refused to pay his grazing fees to the government, which are way below commercial feed rates, for 20+ years. After decades of nonpayment and numerous warnings, the government banned him from grazing public land and held some of his cattle in lien until the million dollars or more of back fees are paid in full.

This is what precipitated Cliven whining to the moron hick militia about government overreach, decades of refusing to pay his fair share.

Also people don't realize that cattle are incredibility destructive to the land so the BLM fees are funding conservation and repair efforts for the land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
BLM fees are also cheap as gently caress compared to the rates of the Free Market®.

quote:

in 2014, grazing fees covered only 15 percent of the bureau’s costs to maintain grazing lands. The rest of the cost is made up in federal appropriations and covered by taxpayers.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I was talking to a guy who lives in Texas now and he said a lot of companies have longhorns just grazing because they give subsidies which is funny to me

that's my story

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

red19fire posted:

By "just recently due to politics' what you mean is that Cliven Bundy refused to pay his grazing fees to the government, which are way below commercial feed rates, for 20+ years. After decades of nonpayment and numerous warnings, the government banned him from grazing public land and held some of his cattle in lien until the million dollars or more of back fees are paid in full.

This is what precipitated Cliven whining to the moron hick militia about government overreach, decades of refusing to pay his fair share.

Incidentally, what the feds wanted him to pay was far, far less than what the fine from the original court order would have been. I remember calculating it back during the 2014 standoff because some 2woke4u people were whining about how the government was oppressing this poor downtrodden farmer and they'd never do this to a millionaire and finding it to be something along the lines of eight hundred million dollars. The fine per excess cow per day wasn't even that much.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
So the whiny white men get free lunches yet again?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Cliven Bundy is a terrible rancher and his cattle are feral.

His competent rancher neighbors are pissed because they’re spreading disease.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Platystemon posted:

Cliven Bundy is a terrible rancher and his cattle are feral.

His competent rancher neighbors are pissed because they’re spreading disease.

They aren't just feral, they're skeletal because he doesn't bother to feed them beyond letting them wander around endangered animal habitat. He whines that he need even more land to ignore his animals on and less than discounted fees or he'll shoot anyone who disagrees because that is his right as a "rancher". His sons got the same whiny "values" before going all on on nonsensical SovCit laws and starting a cult of personality.

The Bundys are repulsive on all levels, but they have enough support as rich white men playing cowboy that they get off so easy.

Geostomp has issued a correction as of 17:04 on Oct 30, 2016

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If the Lord is a good shepherd, and Cliven Bundy is a bad cowboy, does that make Cliven Bundy the antichrist?

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Baloogan posted:

oh

why did they occupy the reserve?

Jesus loving christ!

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yall are getting balooganed

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Juror #4 roleplay is a new and interesting one, thanks baloogan.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

xthetenth posted:

Juror #4 roleplay is a new and interesting one, thanks baloogan.

I wonder if we should have established rules and safewords before this kind of roleplay begins.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Lol just lol if u think I know enough to roleplay any of the jurors

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Baloogan posted:

Method acting is a legitimate form of acting.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Baloogan posted:

*gets drunk in a shack in the middle of nowhere*

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

etalian posted:

Also people don't realize that cattle are incredibility destructive to the land so the BLM fees are funding conservation and repair efforts for the land.

A lot of this land is incredibly lovely too.

The story that the feds stole it from the natives and have squatted on the ownership isn't entirely true. ALL of the land was up for grabs by whites. Plenty of them tried farming and failed. Or harvested all the easy timber, declared bankruptcy and abandoned the land.

There are tons of ghost towns, farms, ranches, mines and logging operations smack in the middle of BLM and National Forest land because it was private property at one point. You just can't make enough of a living on it to justify owning it in perpetuity, and dealing with the long term taxes and liability.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Baloogan posted:

Generally if you post about a subject and don't know anything, it helps if you lead with that fact.

Spending a day arguing with multiple people and then revealing you actually don't know a single thing seems like a very sad waste of time.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

I was talking about Peter. Dude saw himself as the follower of Jewish Messiah and got into a bunch of slapfights with Paul, who was the one who really set Christianity on the road to becoming what it is now because he was all about converting gentiles.

Peter wanted to stick with being a Jewish sect, more or less.

APAC (All Popes Are Catholic)

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

VikingSkull posted:

then revealing you actually don't know a single thing seems like a very sad waste of time.
I don't know. Seems like a completely faithful recreation of the Malheur jury to me.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

The story that the feds stole it from the natives and have squatted on the ownership isn't entirely true. ALL of the land was up for grabs by whites. Plenty of them tried farming and failed. Or harvested all the easy timber, declared bankruptcy and abandoned the land.

There are tons of ghost towns, farms, ranches, mines and logging operations smack in the middle of BLM and National Forest land because it was private property at one point. You just can't make enough of a living on it to justify owning it in perpetuity, and dealing with the long term taxes and liability.

Like in economics, supply/demand is taught in 101 level courses. It's the basic building block, and most small government types never really advance beyond 'the government is bad', free markets, etc. It's not until like econ 104 that you get into the tragedy of the commons and the rise of the robber barons.

Ignorance of history is also hallmark of the idiot conservative/libertarian/hillbilly/etc. Like the :fsmug: comments all over the OPB facebook page about how the constitution prevents the government from owning more than 10 square miles of land, government overreach, etc, these people are willfully ignorant of 200 odd years of Supreme Court interpretations of the constitution.

I like that Shawna Cox went from :tinfoil:THE JUDGE SHOULD BE JAILED BECAUSE I AM A BOAT:tinfoil: to 'yup, perfectly legitimate court decision' purely because they were acquitted. They're like the most transparent type of hypocrite.

Also I can tell Juror 4 really wants to come out as like the new face of the movement and get that 15 minutes of fame, but I think he knows he will be publicly shamed for the rest of his life.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Platystemon posted:

BLM fees are also cheap as gently caress compared to the rates of the Free Market®.

It's basically a big subsidy given how eventually the taxpayer has to foot the bill for maintenance and conservation efforts to repair the damage cattle cause.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Let Juror #4 show himself. He seems like the kind of idiot who will just keep stepping in it and making it worse until even his supporters start to realize he's a deranged rear end in a top hat. Kind of like Zimmerman.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
how much is this whole BLM ranching thing a cowboy subsidy and how much is it Feeding America

cause it sounds like these guys are loving failures at raising cows you can eat

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

how much is this whole BLM ranching thing a cowboy subsidy and how much is it Feeding America

Basically none of it is feeding america and it would outright not exist if not for the subsidies because there is no longer a market for it.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
A bit more background from one of the jurors. This is dumb.

https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/792810126730072064

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

TotalLossBrain posted:

Holy poo poo those jurors were dumb.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Casimir Radon posted:

Let Juror #4 show himself. He seems like the kind of idiot who will just keep stepping in it and making it worse until even his supporters start to realize he's a deranged rear end in a top hat. Kind of like Zimmerman.

in a twist of fate, he is zimmerman

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
This trial is a really good argument for why jurors need to meet some basic level of competence.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Evil Fluffy posted:

This trial is a really good argument for why jurors need to meet some basic level of competence.

Can't really be done- like the call for a juror rationale after the trial, it would be easily (and immediately) exploited. The reason nullification continues to float around like a turd in the legal punchbowl is that there's really no good way to prevent it that wouldn't destroy the jury system. The only real defense is better general civic education, prior checking, excluding it from the courtroom(with retrials etc when it's introduced, as should have happened here), and careful instruction.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

TotalLossBrain posted:

why am judge hate Are Freedoms :911:???

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
You guys should probably listen to this. It's interviews with the defense attorneys, prosecutors, etc:
https://soundcloud.com/thislandisourland/update-harney-county-tribes-conservationists-react-oct-29-2016

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

It is a subsidy to play cowboy, just like we have subsidies to play corn farmer even though we have more corn than we know what to do with.

It is the inevitable byproduct of the system that was laid down to give extra voice to empty rural states.

It is ironic that even with more representation than the average American, people like the Bundy's feel like they aren't being heard. Even when guys like Cliven get subsidized grazing, and Ammon gets government loans when private banks would have let his business fail.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

It is a subsidy to play cowboy, just like we have subsidies to play corn farmer even though we have more corn than we know what to do with.

It is the inevitable byproduct of the system that was laid down to give extra voice to empty rural states.

It is ironic that even with more representation than the average American, people like the Bundy's feel like they aren't being heard. Even when guys like Cliven get subsidized grazing, and Ammon gets government loans when private banks would have let his business fail.

You post like you don't think the Bundys are massive hypocrites and lunatics.

On the jury issue, christ almighty, these people were dumb, and now i wait to see sovcits play their next cosplay sit in on fed property because to them this wasn't a case of idiot jurers, but the "TRIUMPH OF ARE CONSTITUTIONAL RIATS!"

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

exploding mummy posted:

*gets drunk in a shack in the middle of nowhere*

same

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

CrazyLittle posted:

You guys should probably listen to this. It's interviews with the defense attorneys, prosecutors, etc:
https://soundcloud.com/thislandisourland/update-harney-county-tribes-conservationists-react-oct-29-2016

I haven't been able to tolerate the opb podcast coverage for most of its run- it gets too much wrong legally, often in the name of false balance.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

Wasn't most of that land available free/cheap through homesteading? The homesteading program was finally abolished in 1976 because the remaining land wasn't viable for small family farms. With no roads, no water, and no services the available land just didn't make sense for a small farmer.

LOL, according to the BLM only 40% of homesteaders were successful. http://www.blm.gov/wo/st/en/res/Education_in_BLM/homestead_act/legacy/top_10.html

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Facebook Aunt posted:

Wasn't most of that land available free/cheap through homesteading? The homesteading program was finally abolished in 1976 because the remaining land wasn't viable for small family farms. With no roads, no water, and no services the available land just didn't make sense for a small farmer.

LOL, according to the BLM only 40% of homesteaders were successful. http://www.blm.gov/wo/st/en/res/Education_in_BLM/homestead_act/legacy/top_10.html

Yup. I live near a bunch of BLM and National Forest land, and even if they ran a bunch of roads and utilities to it, it would never prosper. There are just hard realities of climate and terrain that no amount of hand outs and deregulation will overcome. It isn't like people haven't tried for their chance at free land.

On old USGS maps of eastern oregon you can find now abandoned research stations where the BLM tested crops that could be grown out there. It isn't like money hasn't been spent of trying to find something to make family farming work.

Best that anyone could do is basically strip it of trees and minerals as a windfall. As a matter of fact, many places have already done that, and the money and jobs are all gone and never coming back. In the drier climates it just takes too long for commercialy worthwhile timber to regrow.

It was at one point completely up for grabs. The stuff that is left is stuff no one is interested in owning long term. Anyone interested in merely turning a profit is happy with leasing timber, minerals, and grazing land.

Personally, I am happy that much of it is just left as winderness.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

VikingSkull posted:

Generally if you post about a subject and don't know anything, it helps if you lead with that fact.

Spending a day arguing with multiple people and then revealing you actually don't know a single thing seems like a very sad waste of time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7SaR4-zn-o

hey now i know the bare essentials

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
what are they charged with in nevada?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

TotalLossBrain posted:

They really were a jury of SovCits the whole time and somehow nobody managed to notice until they tanked the case?