Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

sassassin posted:

Is 3d printing really as cost-effective as nerds online all seem to believe?

Feedstock (plastic filament) is $10 or less per kilogram. If you're talking, like, metal sintering stock or something that's another story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Rygar201 posted:

They have settlements in and around Athel Loren, yeah. They don't have a lot of big cities because that's not how they roll. Warhammer Wood Elves are way more Fae than other settings Wood Elves.

Ok, that's kind of what I figured. I wonder how that'll translate to the game, then. From what little I know of the Wood Elves they're one of the better takes on them in that they're insane murder-elves who live in an LSD evil-ish forest and seem to go all-in on the "alien" aspects. They're a neat take on them compared to most mainstream fantasy IPs, which is why I'm so optimistic/worried about their release and thinking about how they'll be handled as far as mechanics go.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

wiegieman posted:

Feedstock (plastic filament) is $10 or less per kilogram. If you're talking, like, metal sintering stock or something that's another story.

How is the quality? Is it good, good but only if you buy a real expensive machine for it, or not great?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Unless you buy a really expensive printer the miniature is going to look like absolute dogshit.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Pendent posted:

Unless you buy a really expensive printer the miniature is going to look like absolute dogshit.

Now the other question is do you mean expensive on a personal scale or expensive on a sit it in the back of a franchise scale?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Mass manufacturing is always going to be cheaper and/or higher quality.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The printer I mentioned, the Tiko3d thing, is the first in what will definitely be a whole category of relatively accurate sub 200 home printers. We're looking at the 5 micron slice range.

sassassin posted:

Mass manufacturing is always going to be cheaper and/or higher quality.

^but this is also true

wiegieman fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Oct 30, 2016

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Rygar201 posted:

I hope they don't. There's no low population penalty for dwarves.

Dwarfs don't actually have that low a population. The gazetter in Stone and Steel (for 2510, which is around the time of the game) has about 309k Dwarfs, 212k of those in the World's Edge Mountains and that's only counting the Karaks. In comparison, the gazetter for the Empire from 2522 in Sigmar's Heirs has about ~460k inhabitants in the census, though that was after the Storm of Chaos, so a lot of areas in northeast of the Empire are depopulated, with depressing notes about the population of several towns and villages missing or sacrificed after being sacked.

Of note, the biggest Empire cities are Altdorf and Nuln, with 105k and 85k inhabitants respectively. For the Dawi, Karaz-a-Karak has 90k, so enough to field the armies we see in the game, while Karak Izor, where Belagar is launching his expedition from, has 20k.

Actually, let me post the Dwarf Gazetter since it is in convenient two pages and pretty interesting.

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Oct 31, 2016

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

WHRPG is hilarious and I'm glad it was made.

Was there a similar release for the Asurai? In the sixth edition army book it says all High Elves are in the militias that makeup the archer and spear elf ranks, so even if there aren't too many they have a broad base to recruit from.

Re Wood Elves

Sometimes you party with the Wood Elves and have a great time and get back five minutes after you left after a great night. Sometimes you get back 500 years later and collapse into a pile of bleached bones :shrug:

Rygar201 fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Oct 31, 2016

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Rygar201 posted:

Sometimes you get back 500 years paper as collapse into a pile or bleached bones :shrug:

Sometimes you just lose your ability to type coherently :v:

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Wafflecopper posted:

Sometimes you just lose your ability to type coherently :v:

I swear some days SwiftKey is just awful, hah

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Rygar201 posted:

WHRPG is hilarious and I'm glad it was made.

Was there a similar release for the Asurai? In the sixth edition army book it says all High Elves are in the militias that makeup the archer and spear elf ranks, so even if there aren't too many they have a broad base to recruit from.

Nah, unfortunatelly there was never an Elf book for the RPG line, so I don't think there is that kind of detail for any of them published anywhere.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

did the dragons come after the dwarves or were they always chilling at the fortresses

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Mukip posted:

I think that's everybody so I am now the guy to beat with 27 wins.
The only person who could beat you now is Yukitsu if he gets a 4-0 blowout against his two final opponents!

EDIT: Or Beans and Vox if they also play super well against the entire roster!

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Don't forget that we probably have to nullify everyone's matches with Triskelli and Thanqol since they dropped out.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Rygar201 posted:

I swear some days SwiftKey is just awful, hah

Wasn't that the app that uploaded everything you type to their servers?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

ZearothK posted:

Nah, unfortunatelly there was never an Elf book for the RPG line, so I don't think there is that kind of detail for any of them published anywhere.

Yeah as far as I know 2nd edition WHRPG had sourcebooks for the Empire, Bretonnia, the Chaos Realms (Norsca, the nomadic Kurgan and Hung and the Chaos Dwarfs), Skaven, Border Princes, Kislev, and some some other stuff often coming together with adventure or campaign books.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
I survived the tournament, and if I get extremely lucky I might even get bronze, here's my matches with Beans: https://www.dropbox.com/s/iqka5te9bbm2crq/Sammut%20v%20Beans.zip?dl=0

Round 1 - Chaos (Beans) vs Beastmen (Sammut)
Round 2 - Greenskins (Sammut) vs Empire (Beans)
Round 3 - Bretonnia (Beans) vs VC (Sammut)
Round 4 - Chaos (Sammut) vs Dwarves (Beans)

Results Me 3, which gives me 16 wins, not counting my series with Thanqol since he dropped out.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Davincie posted:

did the dragons come after the dwarves or were they always chilling at the fortresses

Nah, they're a subterranean people. Pretty sure the Old Ones made them that way.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Olive Branch posted:

The only person who could beat you now is Yukitsu if he gets a 4-0 blowout against his two final opponents!

EDIT: Or Beans and Vox if they also play super well against the entire roster!

I'm pretty sure I'm technically done here aren't I? Triskelli isn't in it anymore, and I think I've played everyone else.

It'd be really crazy if he didn't beat me, he used a mix of actual functional lists while I stuck with the crap ones.

If we treat Triskelli as defaulting, I'm sitting at a total of 25, all with the bottom tier factions making tallying up those easy.

Yukitsu fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Oct 31, 2016

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the dwarves have a unit called Slayers yet i see them doing very little slaying.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Mans posted:

the dwarves have a unit called Slayers yet i see them doing very little slaying.

It's actually a misprint, they're the Slayed. Their hard counter is goblin archers and anything sharp, excepting large sharp things.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Ungrim is the only slayer worth getting.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Not that the dwarfs need more love and attention, but they really should have a giant/dragon/daemon slayer as a hero option

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Engineers should get a cannon for a mount.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Mans posted:

Mix them into the same formation as ironbreakers and you will get a nice mix of stats and special bonuses.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Periphery posted:

Nah, FotS-style gatling gun.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Periphery posted:

Well, yes and no, a goddamned Gyrocopter is what they should get, it would own crazy amounts..

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Has anyone ever managed to capture artillery from the Battle of Bloodpine Woods?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I've never figured out how capturing artillery actually works, other than sometimes if I have a slot open, I get artillery after the battle. I don't know if you have to make the crews abandon the guns and have a unit sit on it or what.

To answer your question: I've never captured artillery from the quest battle.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Is capturing artillery even in this game?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Rygar201 posted:

Is capturing artillery even in this game?
Yes, I've captured a few pieces, usually as Empire fighting other Elector Counts.

e: Not that I can remember from the quest battle though.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
Fairly sure I have captured artillery pieces from quest battle and rebellions both.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Grumio posted:

Not that the dwarfs need more love and attention, but they really should have a giant/dragon/daemon slayer as a hero option

Well, there are references to Gotrek and Felix in the game so I have a feeling your wish'll come true!

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Hmm... so to get Grombrindal I need some kind of key? I doubt anyone has one spare do they? We don't have a Games Workshop here in Galway.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Plavski posted:

Hmm... so to get Grombrindal I need some kind of key? I doubt anyone has one spare do they? We don't have a Games Workshop here in Galway.

You can order the latest issue of White Dwarf to get a key, or you can wait until sometime in 2017 when it becomes available to all.

I went to a GW store for that code myself, 40 mins away by car.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Has anyone ever managed to capture artillery from the Battle of Bloodpine Woods?

I've managed it exactly one time, and I have no idea how to do it again.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I believe capturing arty is completely random.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Grombrindal is just insanely loving awesome. Turn 60 on Hard and I've crushed the Greenskins under my boot, have confederated all the usual suspects and now Grom is on his way up north to rescue the sorry soft pinkskins from Chaos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.
Going to Games Workshop in Los Angeles shortly friends. Will try to get extra codes. Praise sigmar

• Locked thread