Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Hey Crain, could you link me your earlier effortpost about Clinton's email situation? I'd like to use it to counter some loonies on a different site, credit to you, of course.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3778459&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=100#post460890609

Good luck with that. At this point I doubt there's much that can be done to convince anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Northjayhawk posted:

Media: you need clickbait headlines and page views. You need ratings, and this email scandal is delivering even though pushing it means you might destroy the world. OK, fine.

Please go dig into that Russia thing, use your FBI sources, get some anonymous quotes, and then go put up an explosive story showing that Trump really is Putin's puppet. Go nuts with the headline too, make it deliberately misleading and unfair if you want, its your patriotic duty. People will read the story and your advertisers will be happy, I promise.

Personally, my theory is that journalists have concluded Hillary is going to win and they can earn Serious Pulitzer-Earning Journalism cred by making hay over stories about the future President and ignoring stuff about the loser fascist. They don't give a poo poo about politics or the future of the country, they just want to make money and earn awards they can show off with to other, lesser journalists.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Posting from phone, don't have a link - NBC News is reporting the FBI got a warrant for the emails.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Gyges posted:

Harry Reid is being Harry Reid. The FBI is not likely to be sitting on smoking gun evidence of Trump and his crew being blatant Russian stooges. No more than is already public anyway. The FBI is certainly running several investigations on Trump and his various interests that have arisen from his actions this cycle. These investigations are an open secret.

Harry Reid is lobbing explosive allegations in the letter that he knows Comey can't/won't comment on because Comey is a loving idiot who went and talked about an open investigation for no goddamn reason and did so against Hillary. This is exactly the same as when Harry Reid incessantly trolled the gently caress out of Mitt Romney in 2012 over taxes. Except the Hatch Act allegations are also real, and now Comey knows Harry Reid is pissed at him. James Comey knows full well from his own agency's files how Harry Reid feels about being hosed with.

it'd be pretty funny if he trolled comey into publicly releasing info on an investigation into trump-putin connections and guaranteed both sides hating his guts

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Complaint Compilation posted:

All people other than you are white.

Don't you get tired of being a low effort racist troll?

Mel Mudkiper posted:

That's the thing though. I think we can both agree that blackness is not a monolithic position with a monolithic outlook on its role in America. Moments on this very forum have shown that people of color can disagree significantly on positions of race in America. I don't think its fair to claim that because I am asking you what you think I am asking you to speak for the monolithic entity of black America. I also do not think its fair to claim just because I do not understand your position that I have never done research into the issue at all.

Yes, you're right that white people should do research and be critical about their history. But there are going to come times where even people with the best intentions are going to be confused or ask for clarification. I asked you what you thought because you expressed an opinion I was having trouble reconciling.

The reason why I asked you personally is because I have seen time and time again you express a position, it turn into a derail with insults from everyone in the thread, and then someone getting probated. I was trying to interject into this cycle because I recognize that you personally have a perspective I have not experienced before and I wanted to understand it better. I am not trying to understand Black America as a monolith better. I am trying to understand you better.

If you feel like you don't owe me that, that's fine. I understand. But please understand that someone can try to understand you as a person without trying to make you the envoy for your entire race. If you felt I was, I apologize. But what I was trying to get at is your personal perspective.

When it comes to discussions of a race nature, I think it is important to separate my personal opinions from that of modern thoughts about it, as they may not always align, so you will have to be specific in those situations.

idiotsavant posted:

Looks like the NPS itself has a few words about that context that (surprise, surprise!) go straight back to gfsincere's original point.

Sad that it takes other white people cosigning a black poster to lend their opinions credibility on this forum, because it happens entirely too much on here and in the real world.

sit on my Facebook posted:

This is good posting

I'm curious about gfsincere's thoughts on the NPS link posted up the page

It was exactly the point I was making and even drew said point from the same source I did of WEB DuBois.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Lightning Knight posted:

All of Star Trek is bad man. I just grew up with TNG and thus it is the best to me.

TNG was really good. DS9 was better but it was a departure from the formula so it's kind of hard to compare. Voyager was poo poo but it's really fun once you embrace how bad it is.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
FBI is going to begin reviewing emails right away. Media saying they will move quickly and try to review as much as possible before election day, but its unclear if they will be able to go through them all.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Crain posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3778459&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=100#post460890609

Good luck with that. At this point I doubt there's much that can be done to convince anyone.

Thanks! Hopefully I'll pull something out.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Is Harry Reid gonna get in trouble for leaking stuff about an FBI investigation?

Thanks for the response. Some interesting stuff in there.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Meredith Baxter-Burnout posted:

TNG was really good. DS9 was better but it was a departure from the formula so it's kind of hard to compare. Voyager was poo poo but it's really fun once you embrace how bad it is.

I mean, I came to the conclusion that generally Star Trek was praiseworthy and groundbreaking in its time but has very badly not held up to modern viewing standards. I don't feel that, that's some great failing or takes away from how good they were in their moment.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Hey I am one of the vocal supporters of NPR in this thread, I just loving hate Marketplace, TED Radio Hour, Freakonomics radio, and You Bet your Garden

The delicious dish also better watch itself

Marketplace is a business program that has run neutral/mildly positive segments on basic income, I think there are worse things :shrug:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
FBI Director Comey: "I am writing to inform you that in the duration of our investigation we have found new evidence suggesting Clinton may have been offered illicit financial transactions from the Prince of Nigeria"

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Measure of a Man still informs me to this day.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Crain posted:

There are non appointment positions in every department for exactly these kinds of situations. Specifically each department in the US Gov has a CIO (Chief Information Officer) and multiple, sometimes, CISOs (Chief Information Security Officer). These people are the ones who have oversight on how computer systems and information security controls are set up, maintained, and operated. These people are also not under the employment purview of the appointment/cabinet level heads, they operate under the Office of Personnel Management as they are members of the civil service.

So Clinton (or more accurately Clinton's IT guy) would have to go to a/the CISO to request this server be connected to the internal network, same with the blackberry. Please note: The internal network is not connected to the Classified/Confidential information system, that is fully separate. That CISO then looks at what the request is, runs through FISMA (Federal Information Security Management Act) and notes every rule or suggestion that the request either breaks or bends (and literally every request breaks some number of FISMA regs, it's draconian and if the Gov actually followed every rule to the letter and spirit they couldn't use computers). Then the CISO takes that list and goes to the CIO who looks through the list of things that the request is violating and either says "no way we can't allow this" or if they're feeling nice says "fix at a minimum this, this, this, and change this to be closer to reg and resubmit".

Skipping ahead, and assuming that the request has reached the threshold for approval, let's say the CIO approves the request. Now work moves forward and the server is hooked up. That server's operation and management is now the CIO's problem. So if the server is hacked and if that hack effects the internal network, the person in trouble is the CIO. The FBI comes in and scrubs through the logs to see what happened, finds this external server, goes through the paperwork and finds that the CIO approved it and asks him "WTF is this doing here? It's against X, Y, Z, Alpha, etc". Not the CIO has to justify his approval based on the CISO's report and what happened. If the hack happened because of a rule the decided to ignore? CIO is hosed. If it was something else? Well then that's what happens. It's like the difference between a oil pan emptying because your mechanic didn't put it back vs. the plus just being faulty.

Now to go back a bit: Clinton/Clinton's staff can't fire the CIO for the State Department. And this HAS to be the case. These positions need to be able to push back against appointments because of situations like this.

This is why the email poo poo is so goddamn stupid, because it's not the 68 year old grandmas fault, it's literally and only the fault of the CIO and or CISO whose job it is to make sure the grandma can't do anything stupid on the network and that it's secure in the first place.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

gfsincere posted:

It was exactly the point I was making
That's really not true.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Simulated posted:

This is why ideals matter. Symbols matter. Myths matter. We don't live up to them on so many sorry occasions and a lot of stuff is still very broken, but playing the long game means inspiring people to be better. Inspiring the whole country to be better. We can find things to be proud of without whitewashing history.

Half the signers of the Declaration of Independence were slave-owning assholes. Most of their ideas on a woman's place are abhorrent by enlightened standards. I'm still gonna teach the words to my kids because the idea that all people are created equal is a powerful one and something we should strive towards.

Listen to the podcast she said it on. It's probably the best thing I've ever listened to on a podcast ever.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Lightning Knight posted:

I mean, I came to the conclusion that generally Star Trek was praiseworthy and groundbreaking in its time but has very badly not held up to modern viewing standards. I don't feel that, that's some great failing or takes away from how good they were in their moment.
Pretty much. Though I think as pure entertainment TV it still stacks up pretty well to other dramas running around. Well, DS9 and some parts of TOS at least.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

FBI Director Comey: "I am writing to inform you that in the duration of our investigation we have found new evidence suggesting Clinton may have been offered illicit financial transactions from the Prince of Nigeria"

:laffo:

gfsincere posted:

This is why the email poo poo is so goddamn stupid, because it's not the 68 year old grandmas fault, it's literally and only the fault of the CIO and or CISO whose job it is to make sure the grandma can't do anything stupid on the network and that it's secure in the first place.

But, but, grandma, you have to hit reply to compose a new mail, you can't hit forward all, we don't all want to see your sick new cookie recipe for next year before it's ready. :ohdear:

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!
LOL, Ann Coulter is re-tweeting the same fake article about Tim Kaine over and over and over again today. I think her brain broke, or she was a robot all along and her warranty expired yesterday.
https://twitter.com/AnnCoulter/status/792857114280595456

http://www.snopes.com/tim-kaine-ban-catholic-church/

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Cingulate posted:

That's really not true.

Okay, don't care what you think is or isn't true.

Now go back to pretending everything is a-ok in your bubble and put me on ignore.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

MrBuddyLee posted:

LOL, Ann Coulter is re-tweeting the same fake article about Tim Kaine over and over and over again today. I think her brain broke, or she was a robot all along and her warranty expired yesterday.

She's just desperate for attention, as she has been for years. She's completely irrelevant these days.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
New Clinton sex scandal??? Comey reports multiple emails sent to Hillary's email from "Sophia" saying "i want a new f*ck friend right now. do u have a big c*ck? let's hangout!"

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Also Comey: "Also, upon further investigation, we have discovered that she was sent an email that asked for her to forward it to save a child's life, as the more forwards the email had, a dollar would be donated to the child's care. Clinton however, did not forward said email, but deleted it. We suspect she may have a bias against children, our country's future."

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

gfsincere posted:

Okay, don't care what you think is or isn't true.

Now go back to pretending everything is a-ok in your bubble and put me on ignore.
Na, you're not a terrible poster. You're just never expressing nuance in anything I've seen you write.

The NPS article does not "exactly" state the Statue is a symbol of white supremacy.

It'd love to hear the Nichelle Nichols podcast though!

Cingulate fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Oct 30, 2016

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

New Clinton sex scandal??? Comey reports multiple emails sent to Hillary's email from "Sophia" saying "i want a new f*ck friend right now. do u have a big c*ck? let's hangout!"
Oh god oh no why couldn't we have nominated some generic ideal white man instead?!?! I'm making like an off-shore earthquake and littorally shaking now.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

MrBuddyLee posted:

But...but...isn't Tim Kaine Catholic?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MrBuddyLee posted:

My muslim friends treat gays a lot better than Coulter I am sure.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I'm still pissed about this whole thing.

What Comey knew:
"As part of a completely separate investigation we found a bunch of mails from a Clinton staff member. We have no clue what's in them and it might very well be nothing. My colleagues are telling me that we shouldn't notify people about it before we know more. Since this is against our long standing policy and might very well break the hedge act."

What he basically said to the Republicans in congress:
"Guys guys guys! We found more dirt on Clinton! We will probably reopen the investigation now! Tell everyone! I came to you as fast as I could, before anyone else could tell you. You see? I hate her just as much as you. Do you want some more soundbites? Or should I erase all Trump files? I was really hurt when you told me I was in Clinton's camp and I miss you. Can we be friends again? Please, please, pleeeeeeaaaaaaase??"

Even if literally nothing happens to the polls or as part of the investigation. This is complete bullshit and Comey does not deserve his job. Either he is a partisan hack, or he is completely unqualified. It's likely both.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Clinton frequently received communications from Chinese nationals offering unregulated medications including: "Free pills make dick big. Hurt her in bed tonight"

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah regardless of the effect this has the dude needs to be "asked to resign" and if he refuses removed. He's clearly abusing his position regardless of if he is covering up Russian/Trump ties.

It's funny how the judge in the Trump U case was generous enough to postpone it but obviously Hillary is afforded no such courtesy for her non issue.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Mr Interweb posted:

Is Harry Reid gonna get in trouble for leaking stuff about an FBI investigation?

The Trick is that Reid's letter there was leaked. Most likely on purpose. But it's the same game house Republicans play/played with email stuff earlier in the year. So he's not on the hook for mentioning those investigations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Crain posted:

The Trick is that Reid's letter there was leaked. Most likely on purpose. But it's the same game house Republicans play/played with email stuff earlier in the year. So he's not on the hook for mentioning those investigations.

Which one of the congerssmen posted Comey's bullshit letter anyway?
God I hate this name so much. At least I wont be hearing it after the election anymore.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

As bad as Star Trek could be with regards to race, it's still better than Stargate SG1 or Atlantis. Like by a mile.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

cant cook creole bream posted:

God I hate this name so much. At least I wont be hearing it after the election anymore.
Probably Chaffetz

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

duz posted:

Why do you think Barclay is in the holodeck so often?

i thought the one where he programmed the holodeck to have counselor troi fawning over him was one of the few realistic seeming uses of the Space Fantasy Room

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Stultus Maximus posted:

Obama would have rightly thought that such an order would be perceived as blatantly political.

I'm sure Obama has ways of leaking things without being obvious about it.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

"President Trump has nominated James Comey as Attorney General"

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Radish posted:

Yeah regardless of the effect this has the dude needs to be "asked to resign" and if he refuses removed. He's clearly abusing his position regardless of if he is covering up Russian/Trump ties.

It's funny how the judge in the Trump U case was generous enough to postpone it but obviously Hillary is afforded no such courtesy for her non issue.
Hillary is a female Democrat with the last name "Clinton" and as such is to be tried under Cardassian law, which, as we all doubtless know, are more about helping the accused come to accept their conviction and present a satisfying spectacle than any of this "Justice."

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I don't remember at this point. Just look up whoever was on that Clinton Bengahzi panel and pick one at random.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

Wasn't Ellen in her sitcom the first gay character on TV?
The first featured gay character. However, there was an episode of All in the Family that centered on a man who was an in-the-closet homosexual.

EDIT: way beaten and oh my gawrsh how could I have forgotten about the dreamy John Inman

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 30, 2016

• Locked thread