Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Teenage Fansub posted:

They must be expecting him to die soon.

The man is 93 years old. We should all be so lucky to be as comparatively well-preserved at that age, but still. He is almost certainly going to die soon-ish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

ufarn posted:

Can someone tell me what Doctor Strange's end credit(s) reveal(s) without spoiling the movie itself? I won't be able to see it for a while.

Mid credits. Not spoilery. Set up for another movie: Thor visits Strange for some magically refilling beer. Strange is concerned about Loki and Thor tells him they're in the city (edit: NYC, that is.) to find Odin, who's gone missing.

post-credits. Very Spoilery: Earlier in the film, Strange had met a man who'd had a spinal paralysis injury healed and thus finds the way to the place he trains with The Ancient One. By the end of the movie Chiwetel Ejiofor's character has turned away from Doctor Strange's group. In the scene, he finds this man and steals his magic, returning the injury.

e: Here's a site for end credit scene reports: http://aftercredits.com/

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Oct 29, 2016

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Teenage Fansub posted:

post-credits. Very Spoilery: Earlier in the film, Strange had met a man who'd had a spinal paralysis injury healed and thus finds the way to the place he trains with The Ancient One. By the end of the movie Chiwetel Ejiofor's character has turned away from Doctor Strange's group, finds this man and steals his magic, returning the injury.

Haha, seriously? That is just so unbelievably dickish, holy poo poo.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Teenage Fansub posted:

They must be expecting him to die soon.

Nah, it's just that he's old and frail, and it's easier on him to just have one day of shoots than constantly flying back and forth to the set of every loving thing they film.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Went to see Doc Strange this evening. It was good fun - I enjoyed it a lot.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Nah, it's just that he's old and frail, and it's easier on him to just have one day of shoots than constantly flying back and forth to the set of every loving thing they film.

Yeah, he also retired from the convention circuit this year because he's tired of travel.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

My grandma is a little younger than Stan and you couldn't get her on a convention circuit at gunpoint.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah, he also retired from the convention circuit this year because he's tired of travel.
American air travel is also loving miserable.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

First class on a Dreamliner is pretty nice. Probably more space than some people's apartments.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

And then they convinced him to do like 8 more cons next year.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Haha, really? So many places advertised it as his final appearance in that city this year.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Teenage Fansub posted:

post-credits. Very Spoilery: Earlier in the film, Strange had met a man who'd had a spinal paralysis injury healed and thus finds the way to the place he trains with The Ancient One. By the end of the movie Chiwetel Ejiofor's character has turned away from Doctor Strange's group. In the scene, he finds this man and steals his magic, returning the injury.

Does this imply something? I'm not as up on my Doctor Strange mythos as I am on my X-Men, Spiderman, Avengers, etc

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

SlimGoodbody posted:

Does this imply something? I'm not as up on my Doctor Strange mythos as I am on my X-Men, Spiderman, Avengers, etc

Yes.

Mordo is traditionally a villain in the comics. In the movie he is not. It's implying that he is going to return to his villain roots and become a magic racist / come after Strange. Probably in an alliance / as a minion of Dormammu

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Oct 30, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

Haha, really? So many places advertised it as his final appearance in that city this year.

C2E2 said as much last year and they have him lined up for April. He's going to keep doing this until he dies in the middle of an autograph.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

WickedHate posted:

Haha, seriously? That is just so unbelievably dickish, holy poo poo.

He's a monster. What he does is evil.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

SlimGoodbody posted:

It's pretty simply a goodie turning to baddie at the last moment,

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Rhyno posted:

C2E2 said as much last year and they have him lined up for April. He's going to keep doing this until he dies in the middle of an autograph.

Imagine how much you'd make selling the "Stan agh my heart" autograph.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Open Marriage Night posted:

Imagine how much you'd make selling the "Stan agh my heart" autograph.

"And here's the vomit soaked sweater and poo poo stained pants he died in."

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

And then they convinced him to do like 8 more cons next year.

He's going to die at a Con, with a bunch of Goons asking him for specifics on something he did 50 years ago. Live streaming his final words. "I never told anyone... Reed Richards is a rapist"

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I'm kind of confused about the mid credits bit after Strange (saw it, loved it). I might be forgetting something, but didn't Loki fake his death /secretly usurp the throne by the end of Thor 2? Did I miss something or are we as an audience unaware of things that have happened since to change that?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm guessing the first act of Thor 3 has happened at that point.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
It's effectively like the Ant-Man teaser that takes place like halfway into Civil War.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
The Doctor Strange Baron Mordo after-credits scene is hilarious, because throughout the film he's portrayed as arguably the most reasonable and level-headed person around whose complaints and objections are all based in fairly sound thinking, and then he just inexplicably becomes a ravenous, insanely evil lunatic, lashing out at anyone and everything.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Kingtheninja posted:

I'm kind of confused about the mid credits bit after Strange (saw it, loved it). I might be forgetting something, but didn't Loki fake his death /secretly usurp the throne by the end of Thor 2? Did I miss something or are we as an audience unaware of things that have happened since to change that?

I think it's a bit like the one from Ant-Man in that it's probably a scene from Thor 3 itself.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Dan Didio posted:

The Doctor Strange Baron Mordo after-credits scene is hilarious, because throughout the film he's portrayed as arguably the most reasonable and level-headed person around whose complaints and objections are all based in fairly sound thinking, and then he just inexplicably becomes a ravenous, insanely evil lunatic, lashing out at anyone and everything.

He's a rigid-minded fanatic that's just found out that the master he spent decades following was by his standards a hypocrite. I thought it was pretty believable that his reaction was to go off the rails and decide "You know what? gently caress wizards."

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

He's a rigid-minded fanatic that's just found out that the master he spent decades following was by his standards a hypocrite. I thought it was pretty believable that his reaction was to go off the rails and decide "You know what? gently caress wizards."

I mean isn't that like 85% of the motivation for Lord Voldemort, one of the most famous evil wizards in all of fiction?

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

SlimGoodbody posted:

I mean isn't that like 85% of the motivation for Lord Voldemort, one of the most famous evil wizards in all of fiction?

I thought he was motivated by the humiliation of not having a nose.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Chaos Hippy posted:

I thought he was motivated by the humiliation of not having a nose.

I think that came later

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

SlimGoodbody posted:

I think that came later

With the fear.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

SlimGoodbody posted:

Not really, Voldemort's motivations are a belief in the superiority of magic and a fear of death, and he never really believed in a mentor figure long enough to be disappointed by them.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Not really, Voldemort's motivations are a belief in the superiority of magic and a fear of death, and he never really believed in a mentor figure long enough to be disappointed by them.

I more meant the idea of mages being hypocrites, angry ideas about who deserves magic, and choosing the Will To Power

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Hey remember how I complained, way back when Eijifor was cast, that for all the raceswapping that happened in this film, the actual result seemed to be that they turned the hero's Asian mentor into his white mentor and his white villain into a black villain and that's super lovely?

Remember how everyone here was like, no you don't understand, just have faith! Just wait and see! We don't know if Mordo is actually going to be a villain despite the fact that being a Dr. Strange villain is literally the only thing the character has ever done!

I mean, I do love being right all the time, but at what cost indeed.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

BrianWilly posted:

Hey remember how I complained, way back when Eijifor was cast, that for all the raceswapping that happened in this film, the actual result seemed to be that they turned the hero's Asian mentor into his white mentor and his white villain into a black villain and that's super lovely?

Remember how everyone here was like, no you don't understand, just have faith! Just wait and see! We don't know if Mordo is actually going to be a villain despite the fact that being a Dr. Strange villain is literally the only thing the character has ever done!

god you are insufferable

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

That's not how he's portrayed, though. He's very clearly upset by the hypocrisy of the Ancient One, but he's generally quite level-headed about it up until the post-credits scene. Even his finale in the film proper is him just sadly noting that someone who he respects and genuinely seems to like has gone down what he sees as the same, misguided path. He's sad when he walks away from Strange and Wong, because he feels betrayed again, but there's no indication at all that he's A) mentally snapped, or B) see's the problem as an issue with all magic users.

The credits are just a 'scene missing' reel' before he comes back and is a completely different character.
There's an entire, far more interesting, arc that they just skip over for sequel-bait. The ridiculous thing is that his 'rigid-mindedness' is portrayed as something completely stable up until that point, Strange and the Ancient One are the crazy ones, as depicted in the film. There's no need to have him just switch to full-blown crazy without any intervening time with him to see why that comes about.

If the movie had spent more time with either A) his dark past or B) what happened in between him leaving Strange and Wong and the after-credits moment there's a good chance it might have made more sense, or felt more earned, but it doesn't do either.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Oct 31, 2016

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

BrianWilly posted:

my thing was more that the Ancient Asian mystic is a pretty worn trope. the Ancient One using forbidden magic to extend her life was at least something new though race change probably something not necessary

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Dan Didio posted:

That's not how he's portrayed, though. He's very clearly upset by the hypocrisy of the Ancient One, but he's generally quite level-headed about it up until the post-credits scene. Even his finale in the film proper is him just sadly noting that someone who he respects and genuinely seems to like has gone down what he sees as the same, misguided path. He's sad when he walks away from Strange and Wong, because he feels betrayed again, but there's no indication at all that he's A) mentally snapped, or B) see's the problem as an issue with all magic users.

The credits are just a 'scene missing' reel' before he comes back and is a completely different character.
There's an entire, far more interesting, arc that they just skip over for sequel-bait. The ridiculous thing is that his 'rigid-mindedness' is portrayed as something completely stable up until that point, Strange and the Ancient One are the crazy ones, as depicted in the film. There's no need to have him just switch to full-blown crazy without any intervening time with him to see why that comes about.

If the movie had spent more time with either A) his dark past or B) what happened in between him leaving Strange and Wong and the after-credits moment there's a good chance it might have made more sense, or felt more earned, but it doesn't do either.

This sounds almost like Sinestro in the GL movie

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

Nobody said that.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

greatn posted:

This sounds almost like Sinestro in the GL movie

It's not quite as bad as that, but it's the same kind of problem.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
Rick Famuyiwa has left the Flash movie over creative differences.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/flash-movie-loses-dope-director-rick-famuyiwa-942604

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I didn't like Dope very much but that movie was at least pretty charming, so this is a big yikes.

• Locked thread