Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007
I heard there's a cream for that...

Brannock posted:

It takes an enormous amount of weightlifting and bulking up to actually bump into overweight BMI without a high body fat percentage,

Yeah, no it doesn't. 6'2" and 200lbs is overweight according to BMI, which can be your average gym guy with a middle of the road body fat percentage. BMI falls off the rails as soon as it has to take into account anything other than a spherical person of uniform density floating in a vacuum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Does anyone else want to cite 25.7 BMI examples as proof that it's faulty?

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007
I heard there's a cream for that...

Brannock posted:

Does anyone else want to cite 25.7 BMI examples as proof that it's faulty?

The fact that a metric doesn't indicate what it purports to is, in fact, proof that it's faulty. The technical term is "low validity".

e: removed extraneous word

ductonius fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Oct 30, 2016

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

There are probably 10x the number of people complaining that BMI is inaccurate than super jacked dudes who get labelled as overweight. Maybe 100x?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
In the CF steroids is don't ask don't tell, so I'd figure you're wrong.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Of all the CF's real serious problems, I'd venture to say that BMI isn't one of them.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The bmi charts want me, a 6'5" man, to be ~200 lbs or less to stay within the healthy range. The last time I was that light I was perpetually malnourished and biking 50km once a week to go to Edmonton on top of working full time as a stocker at a busy store. I'm just a big loving guy. Bmi is horseshit.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
MPs and Senators are getting a 1.8 and 2.1% raises this year because they automatically get an increase that’s equal to the average percentage increase negotiated by unions with 500 or more employees in the private sector.

So why are they offering public sector unions .5% raises in their new contracts?

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

Of all the CF's real serious problems, I'd venture to say that BMI isn't one of them.

For real. It's not even in the top 5-10 pressing issues anyways because the majority of overweight soldiers are not in combat roles. All this does is take focus away from much more important issues like sexual abuses, mental health issues, and taking care of veterans. Non-combat soldiers being overweight is extremely low on the list of the CAF's problems and also one of the things that could be fixed the easiest.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

The bmi charts want me, a 6'5" man, to be ~200 lbs or less to stay within the healthy range. The last time I was that light I was perpetually malnourished and biking 50km once a week to go to Edmonton on top of working full time as a stocker at a busy store. I'm just a big loving guy. Bmi is horseshit.

:same:

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
if a bunch of desk jockeys being fat is suddenly a real-life pressing issue impacting their combat effectiveness, then canada will necessarily be embroiled in an existentially-threatening fight for survival, which is not a scenario anybody spends too much time investing resources in

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
So if nearly half our military is not capable as a military, and Russia has, for some totally unknown reason, not invaded yet - presumably we can just do away with both halves and stop pretending we need one at all? And just to get ahead of the 3 posters that are going to get all serious about what the military does for CANADA, let's just replace them with a new search-and-rescue focused organization with, say, stricter standards

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
There's also the part where our Navy is no longer capable of force projection of any kind and can only very charitably be called a navy

What exactly is the role of CF in the 21st century? It can't be national defense, as the immediate threats to Canadian sovereignty are orders of magnitude beyond our capabilities.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Oct 30, 2016

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

petty nationalism and jobs for the otherwise unemployable

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Well put like that, roughneck welfare is unarguably a national good.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
paying people to eat pizza isn't quite the 'building roads and digging ditches' kind of spending I'd like the government to be doing tbqh

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 9, 2022

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Neshi's policies are fine, it's that he isn't the sort of person you'd like to have a beer with, which is the most important quality in which politicians you support and which ones you hate.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Sep 9, 2022

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 9, 2022

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

Neshi's policies are fine, it's that he isn't the sort of person you'd like to have a beer with, which is the most important quality in which politicians you support and which ones you hate.

Well there's also whether you perceive them as "weak" and "French".

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I've always admired certain aspects of Nenshi's policies, I just think he's ultimately an ineffective politician in large part due to his personality.

I've voted exclusively for councillors who support reduction of urban sprawl, and who have worked against Nenshi on many of the issues where I disagree with Nenshi, so if council won't put the brakes on sprawl, it sure as poo poo isn't because of me.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Sep 9, 2022

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

RBC posted:

MPs and Senators are getting a 1.8 and 2.1% raises this year because they automatically get an increase that’s equal to the average percentage increase negotiated by unions with 500 or more employees in the private sector.

So why are they offering public sector unions .5% raises in their new contracts?

You are very generous in thinking that politicians are not the most FYGM citizens in the country. Of course policy jockeys need a mandatory raise on top of their housing/vehicle/travel/office/staff allowances. Those poo poo heel public sector union workers, well gently caress those guys they are leeches on the tax dollars you see.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

infernal machines posted:

Well there's also whether you perceive them as "weak" and "French".

I saw a former French ambassador on Fareed Zakaria GPS this morning and he was superb, far brighter than anyone in this country's government or foreign service. Frenchness is fine, even good. The fact that I think Dion is a tool is not related to which language he speaks. I'm guessing most French people would be disgusted with his stupidity and weakness too; who wouldn't? De Gaulle fought Hitler, Dion fought Harper and lost.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

Risky Bisquick posted:

You are very generous in thinking that politicians are not the most FYGM citizens in the country. Of course policy jockeys need a mandatory raise on top of their housing/vehicle/travel/office/staff allowances. Those poo poo heel public sector union workers, well gently caress those guys they are leeches on the tax dollars you see.

I'm trying to locate the history on how and why representative's salary increases were bound to private sector union contract increases but I can't find anything. It's weird as hell because they are bosses with no collective bargaining rights not unionized workers.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

RBC posted:

I'm trying to locate the history on how and why representative's salary increases were bound to private sector union contract increases but I can't find anything. It's weird as hell because they are bosses with no collective bargaining rights not unionized workers.

Bill C-30, 2004-2005, pretty much immediately post Sponsorship scandal. MP pay hikes were tied to judicial pay hikes, but in September 2004, a report recommended that judicial pay go up 10%. Martin's government responded by delinking judicial and MP salaries because they didn't want MP pay to go up that much, and they just kinda went and found an index that they thought was appropriate.

Tony Valeri's speech introducing the legislation

quote:

How did we end up with this particular index? We looked at number of indices before settling on the HRSD one. It had a number of advantages. For one, it is the only major index of private sector wage settlements that is widely available and easily accessible. When we look at the index itself and how it is made up, it is readily understood by everyone, and I believe, as I am sure many others will if they have the opportunity to look at this index, that it will be a fair and representative indicator of the general wage settlement trends in the economy.

It is also very important, and this again is an advantage of using this particular index, that we use an index that does not include wage increases negotiated by public servants because Parliament, from time to time, may need to legislate on public service compensation. Thus, using an index with a public sector component could in fact be perceived by some as putting Parliament in a conflict of interest.

Some people have put forward the cost of living index, COLA, which is used by Statistics Canada as a possible measure for linking MP compensation. However, what this particular index does is it tracks the prices as they rise and as they decline of the goods and services in the economy. It does not reflect the changes in wage increases received by Canadians across the country. The prices of commodities can rise and fall dramatically depending on trends in the economy. Therefore we believe that we should base salary changes for MPs on what is happening to Canadians in the economy, not on the supply and demand curves of goods and services.

For those reasons the government has chosen to use the private sector wage settlement index that is published by the Department of Human Resources and Skills Development as it is an authoritative index. Both the government and industry use it. It is a data source that many use in analyzing wage settlement trends in our economy. It is published monthly in the Wage Settlements Bulletin and quarterly in the Workplace Gazette.

Therefore there is a lot of accessibility and there is I believe an understanding of what this index actually does and what it means for the economy. It covers a broad economy: primary industries, construction, manufacturing, wholesale and retail trade, transportation, education and health services, finance and professional services.

The index itself measures the average annual salary increase negotiated by collective bargaining for private sector units with 500 or more people. It is comprised of over 430 collective agreements in the private sector and these agreements apply across private sector units of 500 or more people. It means that the wage settlement data that we expect to use as an index are really reflective of what more than 8,000 people across the country are getting in terms of wage increases. It represents mostly a unionized workforce but it also has a very significant component of non-unionized employees as well, so there is that mix in this index.

For the reasons that I have laid out before the House, we think this index meets the test of linking the increases in compensation for parliamentarians to the increases obtained by Canadians. By aligning future compensation increases with changes in the private sector wage settlements, parliamentarians can be assured and will be assured that their salary increases will be the same as those of other Canadians.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Sounds like you eat a lot more than you actually need to. But I bet you're "husky" or "strongfat" or something, right?

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
If this thread really wants to slapfight about this poo poo I can post a picture of my dumb 6'4 rear end at 180lbs and 240lbs and then we can all agree that BMI is only really useless on population-scale and not individual scale and that waistline measurement is far easier to calculate and far more important to diagnosing unhealthy weight.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

Pinterest Mom posted:

Bill C-30, 2004-2005, pretty much immediately post Sponsorship scandal. MP pay hikes were tied to judicial pay hikes, but in September 2004, a report recommended that judicial pay go up 10%. Martin's government responded by delinking judicial and MP salaries because they didn't want MP pay to go up that much, and they just kinda went and found an index that they thought was appropriate.

Tony Valeri's speech introducing the legislation

thx

So basically it's a way to link mps compensation with that of the "common worker" even though they are in no way shape or form part of that class, thus reducing political objections to pay increases.

So we end up with MPs who legislated themselves a massive payraise in 2001 - from 69k to 131k - then legislated themselves automatic raises every year on the backs and struggles of the collective bargaining of the working class - with which they have nothing to do.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

GENDERED SLUR posted:

If this thread really wants to slapfight about this poo poo I can post a picture of my dumb 6'4 rear end at 180lbs and 240lbs and then we can all agree that BMI is only really useless on population-scale and not individual scale and that waistline measurement is far easier to calculate and far more important to diagnosing unhealthy weight.

But what if you're a power lifter?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Risky Bisquick posted:

But what if you're a power lifter?

Well, he is, so there's that I guess.

M.McFly
Oct 23, 2008
BMI calculators say I'm overweight but if you look at me i'm clearly not and if I actually weighed what BMI considers healthy I'd be a twig and besides everyone knows BMI is useless for elite athletes just look at guys like Shaq - he's overweight according to BMI ergo, BMI is useless and doesn't apply to me.

-99% of people who say BMI doesn't apply to them.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BMI applies to me, I need to trade fat for muscle.

Je vous remercie pour votre attention.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
If you don't have a background in statistics then kindly shut the gently caress up on the matter of BMI. It is designed and used for population level analyses.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Hey, à propos of nothing.

Remember when the RCMP released a letter in the middle of the 2005 election saying they were opening a criminal investigation into a cabinet minister?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

help now charlie angus is tweeting in french, poorly

(there are six [6] nine [9] ten [10] distinct French mistakes in that tweet + image, which is pretty amazing. Not only is his French way too poor to be leader, he apparently doesn't have anyone who speaks French on his team.)

e: i missed three mistakes
e2: gently caress there's a tenth one

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Oct 31, 2016

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Though to be fair the original English is also somewhat less than coherent
https://twitter.com/CharlieAngusNDP/status/792904662764486656

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Charlie Angus is cool & good but yeah his French is really bad hoo boy.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Yeah I'm about 6'1-1/2" and 190 is at the very high end of "normal" weight for me, according to BMI; I got down to 186 when I was running something like ~30km a week and walking maybe twice that, to prep for a half-marathon.

So I mean, if that's what everyone (not just CF) needs to do to be in-shape, we're all hosed.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Memories of the Closing Ceremonies of the Vancouver Olympics when the head of the organizing committee started talking in French and all the Quebecois commenters on the CBC livestream were 'please make him stop, we were wrong to ask for more french, please, we're so sorry'...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Pinterest Mom posted:

Hey, à propos of nothing.

Remember when the RCMP released a letter in the middle of the 2005 election saying they were opening a criminal investigation into a cabinet minister?

Cops Are Bastards