Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Smash controllers with long wire are good I must say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

El Burbo posted:

Just bludgeon them

With controllers that cost as much as a full game?? In this economy??? No, thank you, sir, I will just use my trusty Mario Party Rock, thank you very much.

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016
Nintendo Switch: I tied a [controller cord] around my nuts

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Phimosissy posted:

Nunchuck is a wired controller. Sorry, friend.

thats what they're saying

Spellman
May 31, 2011

I ordered the white Gamecube controllers from Japan, 4 of them for the Wii since we played a lot of Brawl, and they all came with big long cables. It was a great move too since the Gamecube adapter came out for Wii U.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

It's not really considered gaming unless the console rests on top of the TV so you have to keep moving the controller cords out of the way of the screen.

Ometeotl fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Oct 30, 2016

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Those stupid kids are gonna lose the things on the controller. Not me, the totally not clumsy but careful goon

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

https://mobile.twitter.com/Nibellion/status/792745671627575297

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Did someone really post that on GAF? If so, then wow

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
I mean yeah that's dumb as hell, learn what ram is at least. But still 4 gigs? Ram is cheap why not 8?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

At least it's better than buying a thousand Xbones in order to fit the new Call of Duty in their collective 32 mb of esram

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
It's one of the reasons this "NX is a last gen system" thing is way exaggerated.

360/PS3: 512 MB of RAM.
Wii U: 2 GB.
Switch: 4 GB.

360/PS3: DirectX 9 equivalent.
Wii U: DirectX 10 equivalent.
Switch: DirectX 12 equivalent.

Factor in that the GPU, even on conservative estimates, is 2-3x stronger than Wii U's and that this thing is supposed to have a relatively impressive CPU, and, yeah, it won't be matching the PS4, but it'll be significantly stronger than the PS3 or Wii U.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
The main concern of the Switch is going to be memory speed, honestly

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Patter Song posted:

It's one of the reasons this "NX is a last gen system" thing is way exaggerated.

360/PS3: 512 MB of RAM.
Wii U: 2 GB.
Switch: 4 GB.

360/PS3: DirectX 9 equivalent.
Wii U: DirectX 10 equivalent.
Switch: DirectX 12 equivalent.

Factor in that the GPU, even on conservative estimates, is 2-3x stronger than Wii U's and that this thing is supposed to have a relatively impressive CPU, and, yeah, it won't be matching the PS4, but it'll be significantly stronger than the PS3 or Wii U.

Where are people getting this? That 4GB of RAM is probably unified for the CPU and GPU to use as VRAM which isn't really an issue with lower resolutions and ugly textures. The sad news is that the Switch is using a custom X1, the Switch isn't a powerhouse at all and not close to Xbone or PS4 performance, the Pro and Scorpio are going to leave it in the dust. I'm honestly curious as to what planet you live on where you think portable technology is that advanced because I want to live there. If you're thinking a portable device that's several times more powerful than the Wii U on the go you're looking at a pretty loving expensive piece of tech and its going to eat it's battery quick as gently caress.

People are seriously delusional about this thing, good jesus.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE

s.i.r.e. posted:

Where are people getting this? That 4GB of RAM is probably unified for the CPU and GPU to use as VRAM which isn't really an issue with lower resolutions and ugly textures. The sad news is that the Switch is using a custom X1, the Switch isn't a powerhouse at all and not close to Xbone or PS4 performance, the Pro and Scorpio are going to leave it in the dust. I'm honestly curious as to what planet you live on where you think portable technology is that advanced because I want to live there. If you're thinking a portable device that's several times more powerful than the Wii U on the go you're looking at a pretty loving expensive piece of tech and its going to eat it's battery quick as gently caress.

People are seriously delusional about this thing, good jesus.

I'm glad you know for a fact it's a custom x1 and not a custom x2 because of all your Nintendo connections.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Nothing posted on NeoGaf has ever been wrong and everyone there and on twitter has an intense understanding of connote architecture.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
http://www.anandtech.com/show/10596/hot-chips-2016-nvidia-discloses-tegra-parker-details

It's probably a custom version of Parker, tbh

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

*Goons who have a separate password for their PC's admin account, not out of privacy concerns but because they're afraid their significant others or friends will accidentally turn off adblock and click on malware* Uhhhh who the gently caress would trust a child with a joycon?

*Real Life* At family restaurants parents hand iPads to their toddlers whose hands are dripping with ice cream just to shut them up for five minutes.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

InFlames235 posted:

I'm glad you know for a fact it's a custom x1 and not a custom x2 because of all your Nintendo connections.

That was the leaked info. Really though who knows what custom means it could still be something beefy and sans android it will run better than any x1 we've seen if thats what it is.

Being doom and gloom about it is kinda funny though. Nobody who wants western AAA games on switch doesnt already own a way to play them at this point in the generation. purchases of those ports will be for portability not graphics or performance and nintendos games will look good and run great.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Personally I don't care about graphical power much because most popular XOne and PS4 games I see are in the same uncanny valley of poo poo the most popular PS3 and 360 games were in. The returns are so diminishing as to be negligible. And they're prioritizing super high resolution over things that actually improve game experiences, like high framerates and games not having to install and download patches for hours.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

supposedly the dev kits were X1s, which is why some people are so adamant that the switch is also an X1. but even if that rumor is true, you could quite easily just overclock the X1 to get closer to X2 performance. overclocked maxwell chips get drat close to pascal.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I believe it, but it's bewildering how many people think they understand hardware architecture because they are a pc hobbyist.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Tender Bender posted:

*Goons who have a separate password for their PC's admin account, not out of privacy concerns but because they're afraid their significant others or friends will accidentally turn off adblock and click on malware* Uhhhh who the gently caress would trust a child with a joycon?

*Real Life* At family restaurants parents hand iPads to their toddlers whose hands are dripping with ice cream just to shut them up for five minutes.

the goons are right

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
Honestly, I do expect that if the RAM is indeed limited to 4Gb, that would be the biggest obstacle for ports from the PS4/Xbone. Getting games designed for ~7Gb of RAM down to ~3.5Gb of RAM is going to be a pretty large optimisation job that I'm not going to envy the porting teams having.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

The Switch has the wrong RAM...

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Delusibeta posted:

Honestly, I do expect that if the RAM is indeed limited to 4Gb, that would be the biggest obstacle for ports from the PS4/Xbone. Getting games designed for ~7Gb of RAM down to ~3.5Gb of RAM is going to be a pretty large optimisation job that I'm not going to envy the porting teams having.

they can put the extra ram in the cartridge and charge 20-40 extra like the 90's

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Delusibeta posted:

Eh, you can always pare down textures(see: low settings on pc ports). The real bottleneck will be the slow memory speeds to compared to other devices.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Hace posted:

Eh, you can always pare down textures(see: low settings on pc ports). The real bottleneck will be the slow memory speeds to compared to other devices.

why is it slow?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Imagine an era of Gaming where power supports style and flair, and not mere polycount. Look into your heart, into Gaming's past... now look to the future. What do you see? It's the Nintendo Switch.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I really hope companies start accidentally revealing what Switch games they're making or we get some other actual news before January, because I don't think this thread is going to be very productive if it's just going to be two and a half months of arguments about guesses

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
The best threads are completely nonproductive imo

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

I really hope companies start accidentally revealing what Switch games they're making or we get some other actual news before January, because I don't think this thread is going to be very productive if it's just going to be two and a half months of arguments about guesses

I'd rather it be super unproductive and I never have to hear about sales, RAM, or someone's delusional unfounded fantasies ever again.

At least the NX thread was funny.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

wicka posted:

why is it slow?

Mobile RAM vs console RAM, I guess - it's just a matter of not being able to fit something equal in the same space. PS4's GDDR5 was 176GB/s, Xbone's DDR3 is 68GB/s (needs the small amount of fast eSRAM to even do current-gen games), and according to rumours the Switch's unified mobile RAM will be about 28GB/s. I'm not completely sure how Switch games will look, but my best guess is "imagine if there were PC ports of Wii U games and you were playing them on Baby's First Gaming Laptop".

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

BreakAtmo posted:

Mobile RAM vs console RAM, I guess - it's just a matter of not being able to fit something equal in the same space. PS4's GDDR5 was 176GB/s, Xbone's DDR3 is 68GB/s (needs the small amount of fast eSRAM to even do current-gen games), and according to rumours the Switch's unified mobile RAM will be about 28GB/s. I'm not completely sure how Switch games will look, but my best guess is "imagine if there were PC ports of Wii U games and you were playing them on Baby's First Gaming Laptop".

"imagine if there were PC ports of Wii U games" lol

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

tsob posted:

Statistics show that there's a greater chance of a trailing cord decapitating your entire family in their sleep and then setting fire to the house because malicious devils live specifically in controller cords than knocking over your dock causing blah blah blah, since we're apparently just trading in hyperbole now instead of actually discussing something.

Wireless controllers are popular for much the same reason people prefer remote controls over getting up and manually switching the channel when you decide to leave your infomercial world.

I've watched my friend's dog get caught up on a charging cable while running around and yanking her PS3 or 4 or whatever to the ground.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Bring back the breakaway cables from the Xbox One.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
If her dog got caught in a charging cable then chances are she would have been caught in a normal controller power cord too.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

is that preferable to slowly murdering your dog with wireless signals????

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

tsob posted:

If her dog got caught in a charging cable then chances are she would have been caught in a normal controller power cord too.

Yeah, that's why corded controllers are bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
My apologies then. I misunderstood the thrust of the story.

• Locked thread