Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew

I'm pretty sure the only thing on this show that tops this was "Meow!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Sir Potato posted:

I'm pretty sure the only thing on this show that tops this was "Come!"

:cmon:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
It's okay, it's Improv, it's not supposed to be funny.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Who's laughing now, mate :colbert:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

It's okay, it's Improv, it's not supposed to be funny.

I wish Amazon made a button so I could order more of your hot takes (limit one per day)

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Phimosissy posted:

I wish Amazon made a button so I could order more of your hot takes (limit one per day)

I wish Amazon made a jerk button to order more of you.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Paladinus posted:

Amazon is killing Mom & Pop jerk stores.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Paladinus posted:

They do

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Paladinus posted:

But you're their biggest seller.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Haschel Cedricson posted:

And I'll need to make some calls, because I'm running out.

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

Paladinus posted:

They'd just keep running out of you!

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sir Potato posted:

I'm pretty sure the only thing on this show that tops this was "Meow!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBzwv057GPs

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Haschel Cedricson posted:

Well...I had sex with your wife!

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

RatHat posted:

Well...I had sex with your wife!

So did I. But I didn't have to pay.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Lizard Combatant posted:

Amazon is killing Mom & Pop jerk stores.

I've been asking around. They didn't even have any kids!

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/Dillon_Hayes/status/792811449735340032?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

http://screengrabber.deadspin.com/dildo-thrown-on-field-1788383824

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

I was watching this game on TV. Coulda swore I saw a dildo, but figured I was seeing things. Then the announcers were stuff like, "I don't think it's a flag, it didn't look yellow." And I knew it was actually a dildo. Stay classy, Buffalo.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I had a big argument with a colleague (we're both UX designers) about amazon dash buttons when they launched last year. He thought they were the future of shopping, I thought they were bullshit. (When they were first announced, it was April Fool's Day and I legitimately thought they were amazon being self-aware and poking fun at the horrors of capitalism. Alas.)

He's been suspiciously silent on the matter now that they're floundering and nobody uses them. :smuggo:

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Late to the party, but I saw The Thing on the big screen earlier in the month and the entire audience was laughing at the blood testing scene, but it wasn't ironic. It was a JESUS CHRIST, WHAT THE gently caress IS EVEN HAPPENING mass hysteria kind of laugh.

That movie is out of control.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

VendaGoat posted:

Does the facilitation of allowing a device or idea grant one the claim of bringing said idea or device to life?

asking for a friend

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

caligulamprey posted:

Late to the party, but I saw The Thing on the big screen earlier in the month and the entire audience was laughing at the blood testing scene, but it wasn't ironic. It was a JESUS CHRIST, WHAT THE gently caress IS EVEN HAPPENING mass hysteria kind of laugh.

That movie is out of control.

I can't see how people wouldn't laugh at the blood test scene, what with the shiny fake hand when McCready is supposedly holding a blood sample.

Bottin had the right idea begging the cinematographer to not put any lights on the creatures ever.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The Thing owns, and good horror should be a little funny, because it should be grotesque and bizarre in ways that aren't far from comedy. This is why I love Junji Ito.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

He's been suspiciously silent on the matter now that they're floundering and nobody uses them. :smuggo:

How can a button that does nothing more complicated than place a "buy-it-now" order capable of floundering? Even if people didn't immediately adapt, there's not much overhead on the idea.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Can you at least 'hack' them and use them as tiny wifi routers?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Some of you are coming mighty close to disrespecting The Thing. Watch your selves.

Lizard Combatant has a new favorite as of 13:09 on Oct 31, 2016

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

Gorilla Salad posted:

Can you at least 'hack' them and use them as tiny wifi routers?

I think they made one that's just for you to program to do whatever you want it to do to like teach kids to program.

I have one for cat litter because having the UPS guy drop 40 lbs of litter at my door beats running to the store.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Lizard Combatant posted:

Some of you are coming mighty close to disrespecting The Thing. Watch your selves.

I watched it again because of TWR announcing they were going to it, and if you strip away the nostalgia it really doesn't hold up. The effects are funny, people die with everyone else saying :iiam: over it, plots exist without any narrative justification (how is blowing up a building going to keep things warm?), and an ending that even the makers wrote an alternative ending because they knew people would get depressed about.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Thing is a better film than Citizen Kane.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

FreudianSlippers posted:

The Thing is a better film than any modern horror movie.

This too.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

MisterBibs posted:

I watched it again because of TWR announcing they were going to it, and if you strip away the nostalgia it really doesn't hold up. The effects are funny, people die with everyone else saying :iiam: over it, plots exist without any narrative justification (how is blowing up a building going to keep things warm?), and an ending that even the makers wrote an alternative ending because they knew people would get depressed about.

I didn't see it until 5 years ago as a grown adult, so it has zero nostalgia for me, and I re-watch it regularly. It still holds up to me, but that's personal taste.

As for your plot questions, I'm not really sure how to answer them. I don't recall anyone blowing up a building with the goal of keeping warm. There's plenty of gaps in the story for the audience to fill in and speculate as to who is assimilated and at what point (because that's the point of the film - it's a paranoia thriller) but there's plenty of clues along the way, at no time did it feel random or unmotivated to me. The ending is fantastic too.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

MisterBibs posted:

You're completely wrong, The Thing completely holds up.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

MisterBibs posted:

I appreciate this post. Get the bad opinions out there so I know to ignore any other posts or recommendations, so thanks for saving everyone's time.

I think the nostalgia argument for The Thing is stupid. It's a great film on it's own merits, just because people were lucky to see it when it was fresh and remembers that fondly doesn't mean it hasn't held up as one of the best horror movies ever.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

MisterBibs posted:

Are you sure you didn't see the 2011 remake, because this opinion is so wrong that's the only logical explanation.?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
^ You mean the one that had a actual valid-looking Thing?

Lizard Combatant posted:

I don't recall anyone blowing up a building with the goal of keeping warm.

So you missed the scene where Kurt Russell says they need to blow up the building (forgetting the unconnected buildings exist) in order to keep the temperatures up?

Lizard Combatant posted:

There's plenty of gaps in the story for the audience to fill in and speculate as to who is assimilated and at what point (because that's the point of the film - it's a paranoia thriller) but there's plenty of clues along the way, at no time did it feel random or unmotivated to me.

If anything, The Thing suffers from a lack of clues for most of its deaths. How did Fuchs die? It's a mystery. Who was the first to be assimilated? It's a mystery. Who got to the blood? It's a mystery. Why didn't the humans go into the spaceship? It is a mystery. Too many out-of-the-blue unresolved mysteries are the epitome of bad writing. I get it, the movie was a flop so it got Nerd Cred for loving what the normies didn't, but that doesn't absolve the flaws of the film.

Hell, the answer to Who Got Assimilated First is given anti-evidence, because they used Dick Warlock as the dude's shadow because David Clennon's face made a too obvious shadow.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 15:16 on Oct 31, 2016

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

http://www.outpost31.com/movie/faq.html

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

MisterBibs posted:

^ You mean the one that had a actual valid-looking Thing?

What the gently caress does "valid-looking" mean?

MisterBibs posted:

If anything, The Thing suffers from a lack of clues for most of its deaths. How did Fuchs die? It's a mystery. Who was the first to be assimilated? It's a mystery. Who got to the blood? It's a mystery. Too many out-of-the-blue unresolved mysteries are the epitome of bad writing.

That's stupid, not having all the information is incredibly important. You don't know who exactly is the Thing or when. It's like, the movie's whole dea.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
reading some of these posts and am beginning to think that many people who claim to have watched The Thing have not actually watched The Thing

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Guy Goodbody posted:

What the gently caress does "valid-looking" mean?

Looking like a thing that can be anything at a moments notice, without cutaways, and not looking like there's a puppeteer inside or underneath it. You know, valid for what the creature is supposed to be.

Guy Goodbody posted:

That's stupid, not having all the information is incredibly important. You don't know who exactly is the Thing or when. It's like, the movie's whole dea.

Don't apologize for bad writing. If the writer is being lazy by not providing answers (you know, the whole point of a movie), it's okay to not like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

MisterBibs posted:

So you missed the scene where Kurt Russell says they need to blow up the building (forgetting the unconnected buildings exist) in order to keep the temperatures up?

I don't know what movie you've seen, but they blow up the base to freeze the Thing. Good job on getting the climax completely wrong, uncross your eyes next time you try watching something.

• Locked thread