Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Tolkien minority posted:

Adderall is the best pre-workout, gently caress the next day

Makes my hands and feet so cold though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Tolkien minority posted:

or maybe u can use cheese instead of "pasteurized recipe cheese product"

http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2011/09/the-burger-lab-how-to-make-super-melty-cheese-slices-like-american.html

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
:chloe:

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Tolkien minority posted:

Adderall is the best pre-workout, gently caress the next day

Just work out 7 days a week :getin:

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
Good morning, from the gym.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
The Saturday morning guy who dances between sets and wears sunglasses isn't here today. I hope he's okay, wherever he is.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Tolkien minority posted:

or maybe u can use cheese instead of "pasteurized recipe cheese product"
get hosed

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

When I was a fatass every pound I lost was obvious. Now I lose 5 pounds over 5 weeks and my before/after photos look exactly the same

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
maybe you are not meant to go lower in bodyfat

maybe your destiny lies elsewhere

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Zzulu posted:

*kickass guitar riff*

No parking at the gym today, campus is swarming with crazy undergrads.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Zzulu posted:

maybe you are not meant to go lower in bodyfat

*insert link to steroid thread*

Herbicidal Maniac
Jun 3, 2008

You will be the effigy I burn, infused with all the traits that make them the detestable little goblins they are.

Wasn't paying attention (slightly hungover) and loaded an extra 20 lbs onto my first deadlift set this morning. Lifted through it, of course. :getin:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
why cant my gym be like this

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Because you and people like you go there instead?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
sigh, that's right

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Is it possible to do deadlifts without making noise when you put the weights down? I switched to a smaller gym on campus and it's over some classrooms so they're technically allowed but they're super strict. i guess technically i could lower weight and be super careful but that seems like kinda a waste

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
If I couldn't push to failure I'm not sure I'd ever see any gains.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Tolkien minority posted:

Is it possible to do deadlifts without making noise when you put the weights down? I switched to a smaller gym on campus and it's over some classrooms so they're technically allowed but they're super strict. i guess technically i could lower weight and be super careful but that seems like kinda a waste

I work out in a small gym that's a floor over some offices. I'm usually there at night so it doesn't matter, but they don't have platforms and I'm worried letting them down too fast might gently caress the floor up or something. There's an actual good gym not too far away but it's in the opposite direction of my drive home from work. I'll probably just bite the bullet and sign up monday.

e: I've practiced a lot and I'm still not good at gently setting down a deadlift anywhere near my 5 rep max. I can do it, and even if I make my back stay straight it feels like there's still a lot of pressure on my knees that isn't there when I do the concentric.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Oct 29, 2016

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Tolkien minority posted:

There's no way you're going to go heavy and put it down lightly every rep. With a rubberized platform maybe, but I'd still bet the last rep just tanks.

Maybe I am kinda biased because I have t-rex arms so I always drop the last 0.5" or so even with a controlled descent.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Oct 30, 2016

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Tolkien minority posted:

It's actually harder to lower it slow enough to not make noise than it is to just drop it, so you'll be doing yourself a favor by working out harder!

E: though it's true if you're going heavy that you're probably not going to set it down lightly anyway. Just don't drop the weights and you'll be good?

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

I decided to have a cheat day and now I feel guilty as all hell. I guess that's a good thing.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Khorne posted:

Maybe I am kinda biased because I have t-rex arms so I always drop the last 0.5" or so even with a controlled descent.

:whatup: T-Rex arms buddy. How's your bench??

Khorne
May 1, 2002

DisgracelandUSA posted:

:whatup: T-Rex arms buddy. How's your bench??
A lot worse than my deadlift. But it will be good one day.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
Winter bulk starting off well thanks to 3.99 publix halloween cupcake 6 packs

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Just left the gym. Already getting tired of new people flailing around and screwing up my rotation. I am going to be very irritable with the coming resolutioners. I might need to stock up on chill pills.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

GORDON posted:

Just left the gym. Already getting tired of new people flailing around and screwing up my rotation. I am going to be very irritable with the coming resolutioners. I might need to stock up on chill pills.

Oh poo poo is it already almost that time?

Prepare yourselves ... the New Year is coming...

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

GORDON posted:

New intakes to university gyms are the worst. Bunch of 'this is the first time in a properly equipped gym' teenagers who spend most of their time using it incorrectly and taking selfies.

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

just got back from the grocery store an assortment of italian meats. sliced gains

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
i've got some italian meat for ya

*points at crotch*

*isn't italian*

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
I was at the gym

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Keg posted:

I was at the gym

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Pesmerga posted:

New intakes to university gyms are the worst. Bunch of 'this is the first time in a properly equipped gym' teenagers who spend most of their time using it incorrectly and taking selfies.

In my gym the regulars are a group of six guys with prison tats who do the bro hug and talk about women and motorcycles, a few of us in there with our heads down grunting and dropping sweat, a few very hot women in there as personal trainers, and then for some reason we are all outnumbered by the elderly, oblivious to their surroundings, doing one set on everything with no weight, and moving on. When you throw new people in it all just breaks down. Everyone be REALLY discouraging to people talking about joining g a gym soon... If they aren't committed enough to go in spite of a little discouragement, then they aren't going to stick with it, anyway.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
im okay with girls joining, but there are enough boys here tbh

no boys allowed

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
I'm kind of looking forward to seeing people doing silly things at the gym in January

Khorne
May 1, 2002

GORDON posted:

In my gym the regulars are a group of six guys with prison tats who do the bro hug and talk about women and motorcycles, a few of us in there with our heads down grunting and dropping sweat, a few very hot women in there as personal trainers, and then for some reason we are all outnumbered by the elderly, oblivious to their surroundings, doing one set on everything with no weight, and moving on. When you throw new people in it all just breaks down. Everyone be REALLY discouraging to people talking about joining g a gym soon... If they aren't committed enough to go in spite of a little discouragement, then they aren't going to stick with it, anyway.
You forgot the key commandment of elderly gym use: Thou shalt not have a rom greater than 0.5 inches, even if you are guaranteed to have greater rom while doing things like walking or getting situated at the machine.

This one guy moves the weights in like 20 pico-reps a second through spasming oscillation.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Khorne posted:

You forgot the key commandment of elderly gym use: Thou shalt not have a rom greater than 0.5 inches, even if you are guaranteed to have greater rom while doing things like walking or getting situated at the machine.

This one guy moves the weights in like 20 pico-reps a second through spasming oscillation.

The last gym I went to was in a more affluent area so all the old dudes were on roids and stronger and leaner than almost all of the young dudes.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Dum Cumpster posted:

The last gym I went to was in a more affluent area so all the old dudes were on roids and stronger and leaner than almost all of the young dudes.
Those aren't elderly people. They're just old. I know someone in his 60s who meets that description. Dude is loving jacked, and he trained natural for ages until he sold his business for the better part of 8 figures and then hopped on juice and lived a life of leisure and iron.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Tolkien minority posted:

I would be tempted to do Romanian deadlifts in that case, so you only have to worry about touching down lightly at the end of your set

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Khorne posted:

Right? Last year I had that exact observation... it seemed like the only movement was the passive palsy of his muscles.

And I noticed something the other day... I've always noticed the elderly, on the machines, when they are done they remove the pin from whatever weight and put it back to zero. I always wondered about that. But then I noticed all the signs, "If you are strong enough to load the weight,then you are strong enough to unload the weight. Put it back." These old people think they are putting the weight back by moving the pin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Khorne posted:

Those aren't elderly people. They're just old. I know someone in his 60s who meets that description. Dude is loving jacked, and he trained natural for ages until he sold his business for the better part of 8 figures and then hopped on juice and lived a life of leisure and iron.

Aren't people in their 60s and 70s elderly? Teach me salami thread.