Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
TBH she has cratered pretty hard from her prerelease price and she isn't actual dogshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Dehtraen posted:

Just seems kind of embarrassing that this is a huge event for vintage and legacy and a guy in the finals clearly is struggling playing his own deck, he has no idea what he is doing and spending swords on hard casted elvish spirit guides really shows that he is being carried through this event on the power of his deck alone. With so many great players in the room you'd think that someone could have knocked this guy out of the tournament.

Doesn't stop people from repeating the mantra of how high the skill ceiling is, though. :shrug:

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
Ban Terminus so garbage players aren't so attracted to miracles, tia (means aunt in Spanish).

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

black potus posted:

Ban Terminus so garbage players aren't so attracted to miracles, tia (means aunt in Spanish).

Ban garbage players. Miracles supremacy.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

suicidesteve posted:

My friend made some for legacy Ascendancy when that was a deck.

I'd love to see them, if you have any pictures on hand.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

Attorney at Funk posted:

Ban garbage players. Miracles supremacy.

Smash cut to all of this thread playing yugioh instead.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

black potus posted:

I'll stick to DBZ, thanks.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

black potus posted:

Greatness at any cost.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

I'd love to see them, if you have any pictures on hand.

They were just pieces of paper that said "loot" and "untap" or something like that.

black potus posted:

Been saying this for years. Decades, even! They won't though, they'll just ban Top and kill the deck because that's easier than actually enforcing slow play rules.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

ShaneB posted:

Why is KLD Chandra rising in price? I see no decks she's seeing play in more than a few sideboard slots, if that.

I filled out my playset since it was going for less than half of what it preordered for. Gonna try her in a Thing in the Ice spells deck, but it's mostly because she's bound to be in a really good deck eventually.

I thought maybe have a one-of in my Modern Naya Burn deck for funsies?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Kenji Egashira is in the top four of an MTGO PTQ. He wins game 1, and then draws 9 lands 6 spells, and 9 lands 3 spells to lose the match. It's good to know that everyone gets those games.

Cycling lands in every set. e: or Scry lands.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Hellsau posted:

Kenji Egashira is in the top four of an MTGO PTQ. He wins game 1, and then draws 9 lands 6 spells, and 9 lands 3 spells to lose the match. It's good to know that everyone gets those games.

Cycling lands in every set. e: or Scry lands.

Cycling should be evergreen.

It also never will be, because Wizards does not sell packs on cards whose primary merit is being able to throw them away for other cards when you don't need them.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007
I sometimes wonder what it would do to the game if basic lands counted as having Cycling 3, maybe restricted to sorcery speed. It would raise the ceiling on what they're allowed to do with duals, certainly...

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I guess there's nothing stopping them from experimenting with that for a standard season if they wanted to. They can make different basics.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I guess there's nothing stopping them from experimenting with that for a standard season if they wanted to. They can make different basics.

How much would it fundamentally change the game if the rules changed to give all basic lands Cycle 2?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

AlternateNu posted:

How much would it fundamentally change the game if the rules changed to give all basic lands Cycle 2?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

theres a zero percent chance they would experiment with something as fundamental to the game as basic lands, and im personally pretty okay with that

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
unless what you mean is they make new basic lands like wastes with cycling, in which case sorry for misunderstanding you

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah. Or they could even just make strictly better versions of basics if they really did want to combat mana issues.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

Great, now I want to build Mr Toad's Wild Ride.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Well, if they were non-basic and had a high enough cycling cost that might even be a fair drawback. Like, nonbasic, forest, cycling 4. I guess that's kind of required in a format like Standard, but you might not want to replace all your basics in Modern.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
They clarified some rules for "go to combat" and what is and isn't allowed.

http://blogs.magicjudges.org/telliott/2016/10/18/do-not-pass-go/

Hopefully this removes some "gotcha's" from some of your futures.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Alris posted:

Great, now I want to build Mr Toad's Wild Ride.

It's like 40 bucks. Playset of all 6 cycle lands, fluctuators, a lab maniac, a city of brass/mana confluence (Cavern of Souls if you got it) some gitprobes if you want, add cycling 2 cards to taste (pref miscalculation, unearth, repopulate, and the self-shroud and fog instants)

I beat a Doomsday player once because they looked at my hand, saw dreck, Doomsdayed, and then I cycled into miscalculation for their next spell

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Sickening posted:

quote:

There are a few situations where the active player does have a good reason to move to the beginning of combat without revealing what they want to do. The most common one is when the non-active player has mana floating. In this situation, all the active player needs to do is explain why it’s relevant that they move the priority marker. “Do you want to do anything with that floating mana before we move to combat” is an acceptable way of explicitly moving to beginning of combat while retaining priority.

If my opponent said that exact phrase, I would assume we would be moving to declare attackers, not the beginning of combat. Surely asking the active player to specify "beginning of combat" or just say "move to the next phase to burn that floating mana" and avoid any potential shenanigans.

quote:

For example, a player untaps, draws a card, then activates a Needle Spires. They haven’t said anything, but absent other information, we’ll usually agree it was at the beginning of combat (edit for clarification: if they want it to be. We’re not committing them to be in declare attackers here.)

If they did that all wordlessly, they've activated it in their main phase. I'm not going to call them on missing their Goblin Rabblemaster trigger because they activated their Needle Spires first, come on. I'm also not going to assume that if my opponent allows me to resolve my Needle Spires ability that my Goblin Rabblemaster now makes a token, even if the opponent has a Lightning Bolt. If they then try to cast Larger than Life on the Needle Spires, again without saying anything, I'm not going to call them on casting a sorcery during the combat phase. It's absurd that the assumption is that it's activated during their combat phase and that the defending player needs to specifically clarify whether they're in the main or combat phase.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Sickening posted:

Oh good. Took them long enough. Now to bookmark this because since it's buried in some magic blog, plenty of people will still use ambiguity to trick their opponent when they don't know any better. Just wondering but how likely is it for L1s to even know about this stuff? As in, how much does this information and philosophy actually propagate to the wider community? I assume in FNMs and probably even PTQs with attentive non-active players catching someone trying to gotcha them and calling the judge, this will still happen.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Just play magic like IRL Modo and explicitly announce every single phase of the game, including damage and end of combat!

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?

ShaneB posted:

Why is KLD Chandra rising in price? I see no decks she's seeing play in more than a few sideboard slots, if that.

GW(r) plainswalker/tokens is legitimately good right now and is splashing chandra and nahiri off aether vaults and oath of nissa. It's not really in people radar right now but considering the number of poor players on UW right now watch this space

It smashes UW.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

DoctorOozy posted:

GW(r) plainswalker/tokens is legitimately good right now and is splashing chandra and nahiri off aether vaults and oath of nissa. It's not really in people radar right now but considering the number of poor players on UW right now watch this space

It smashes UW.

How would a deck with a bunch of 3-4 mana sorcery speed spells, that's vulnerable to fliers, be able to smash UW?

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Hellsau posted:

I'm not going to call them on missing their Goblin Rabblemaster trigger because they activated their Needle Spires first, come on.

You may not, but if the discussion around tournament shortcuts of late has taught me anything, it's that there's a lot of hyper-spike shites that have entirely focused on playing Gotcha! rather than Magic.

Chill la Chill posted:

Just wondering but how likely is it for L1s to even know about this stuff? As in, how much does this information and philosophy actually propagate to the wider community? I assume in FNMs and probably even PTQs with attentive non-active players catching someone trying to gotcha them and calling the judge, this will still happen.

Depends entirely on the L1. If they're involved, reading the blog themselves or having judge buddies who've shared the post, they'll know. If not, probably not?

There will be some L2s who won't get this but between the blog and conferences we're trying to get the information out there.

A big flaming stink posted:

Just play magic like IRL Modo and explicitly announce every single phase of the game, including damage and end of combat!

This will not work how you think it'll work with regards to the Beginning of Combat step. In order to get into that step explicitly you need to modify the shortcut, eg "at beginning of combat activate my Raging Ravine".

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

DoctorOozy posted:

It smashes UW.

I've played against the GW deck a lot and I don't think it's good. If you just want to play a good stuff deck that beats UW, play BG delirium.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

DoctorOozy posted:

It smashes UW.

Can I get a list?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I know floating mana is lost moving from first main to combat but what about upkeep to first main. Yesterday I cast an Elder Deep-Fried on my opponent's upkeep targeting lands and he floated the four mana and we weren't sure if it lasted into the first main.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Soul Glo posted:

I know floating mana is lost moving from first main to combat but what about upkeep to first main. Yesterday I cast an Elder Deep-Fried on my opponent's upkeep targeting lands and he floated the four mana and we weren't sure if it lasted into the first main.

Mana empties at the end of every step, so it would be lost going from upkeep into draw step.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Mana empties at the end of every step, so it would be lost going from upkeep into draw step.

This changed, now it empties at the end of every phase, so you can float mana from your upkeep into your draw step. However, you can't float mana from upkeep to first main phase, because the upkeep is in your beginning your phase and your first main phase is in, well, your first main phase.

I'm wrong, it's too early.

Elyv fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Oct 31, 2016

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Retromancer posted:

Can I get a list?

I don't have one but it's basically the old GW with green gearhulk, the energy mana dude, nahiri and chandra. Just dump plainswalkers untill you gearhulk wniugh counters onto plant tokens.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Rinkles posted:

How would a deck with a bunch of 3-4 mana sorcery speed spells, that's vulnerable to fliers, be able to smash UW?

By continually casting plainswalkers from turn 3 and removing threats with nahiri and chandra.

Smashing is somewhat overstating it but you have to know which plainswalkers to ignore and which to remove.

But your not getting through on the ground so the latest thraban/thalia build is not good against it. I'm running bishops and wanderers in uw which is better against it.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Nahiri does have the benefit of being the Planeswalker that can come down and kill a Smuggler's Copter.

Superfriends decks in general can be pretty good against midrange. The 4+ mana walkers do a lot of work for one card and if all you're doing is trying to kill walkers the turn after they come down and generate value then you're eventually not going to keep up.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

DoctorOozy posted:

plainswalkers

please don't troll ITT

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Star City is gutting everything for 2017:
http://www.starcitygames.com/article/33954_2017-SCG-Tour-And-In-Store-Programs-Update.html

2 Seasons
First season has 1 Legacy Open, 1 Team Constructed with Legacy, but most importantly only 2 Legacy Classics on those same weekends, so no more Legacy Sunday big events on the Open weekends
No more States
2 Regionals
Team Constructed Open is "each person plays a deck Standard Modern Legacy" and you play the other team's person on that format
No more regular/Super split for IQs, all IQs are $1K and give up to 3 points (Hoogland cheers) and 2 invitations
No Players Championship

rip to legacy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Team formats seem cool. Otherwise Rest In Peace, magic.

• Locked thread