Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MikeJF posted:

Nah. Everyone rags on the Galaxy-Class but they held up to Bad poo poo better than any other starfleet ship

Didn't the Tamarians almost one-shot the Enterprise into oblivion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

dont even fink about it posted:

Basically the design for the bridges in Star Trek starting in TNG have always been terrible from a basic utility/tactical standpoint.

In TNG:
- Extremely poor/no real options for getting around if the turbolifts go out.

I feel like if you asked in the late 80s the Star Trek office would have said "oh yeah if the turbolifts went out they could just go down the conference room ramp and get to corridors and utility ladders/stairs from there, nobody's getting ~stuck on the bridge~ like we did in TOS" or something. Disaster is a bit ridiculous in how it's all "oh man EVERYTHING'S SOOOO BROKEN" and yet nobody in any of the shuttlebays decides to pry a door open and get a couple of shuttlecraft pawing around the ship.

Honestly I suspect a lot of TNG writers resented how big and capable the Enterprise-D was supposed to be.

The_Doctor posted:

I never understood why there wasn't a seat there. All these standing consoles are terrible for people's backs.

If I remember right that was one of the factors that led to Denise Crosby wanting to get out - they'd shoot scenes from front to back, meaning she'd have to be standing there all drat day. And then of course most of those scenes wouldn't even have any material for her to work with.

Timby posted:

Didn't the Tamarians almost one-shot the Enterprise into oblivion?

Not quite one-shot, but yeah they definitely way overmatched the Enterprise.

Also the Enterprise got punked by two clunker Birds of Prey in Rascals. Ron Moore even wrote that one too! That battle's a hoot because the music and camerawork and effects are all "i guess this is a problem, maybe?" but the dialogue by itself makes it sound like they've got scores of people dying and the ship's about to blow up.

On the other side of the spectrum, a Cardassian warship got the drop on the Enterprise and managed to do minimal damage despite landing a couple of unshielded hits, before getting quickly and completely owned by the Enterprise.

Honestly I think something TNG doesn't get enough credit for is that they generally reserved pyrotechnics on the bridge for when the ship was *really* getting hosed up. DS9 and Voyager got silly with how quickly they'd start lighting up the fireworks.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Since you guys were wonderbling{

It's kind of a mess. The viewscreen is above the computer pit, and the side with two chairs is the life support station I think?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Arglebargle III posted:

Since you guys were wonderbling{

It's kind of a mess. The viewscreen is above the computer pit, and the side with two chairs is the life support station I think?

USS Escher.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

They were able to shoot much better scenes around that situation table though. The characters can actually stand next to or opposite each other. Ron Moore stole that poo poo straight to BSG.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

While it's certainly better visually and no doubt economized on sets, why in the name of Kahless did the paranoid Stasi spoonheads put what appears to be their primary transporter pad in their loving bridge?

I mean put a drop bar in front of it or something. Maybe this is just the Cardassian equivallent of the exploding panels.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If they need to get somewhere, it's good to have a pad there. Quick and to the point. The Federation has to waste its time running to the transporter room when a savvy Gul can just walk to the nearby pad and transport to where he is needed.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Cojawfee posted:

If they need to get somewhere, it's good to have a pad there. Quick and to the point. The Federation has to waste its time running to the transporter room when a savvy Gul can just walk to the nearby pad and transport to where he is needed.

Like site to site beaming doesn't exist.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Cojawfee posted:

From what we see across the franchise, I don't really get the point of having pads and a dedicated transporter room when apparently people can be beamed anywhere from anywhere.

Yeah yeah, I know the obvious answer: They just wanted an excuse to isolate O'Brian away from everyone else, clearly.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

WickedHate posted:

From what we see across the franchise, I don't really get the point of having pads and a dedicated transporter room when apparently people can be beamed anywhere from anywhere.

Yeah yeah, I know the obvious answer: They just wanted an excuse to isolate O'Brian away from everyone else, clearly.
Well you have to keep the gear somewhere, it's not like you can just transport from In The Cloud. ("It's just someone else's transporter!" O'Brien objects over Quark's new scheme.) It makes sense but this seems to be the primary transporter ON the station. Really the Runabouts had one directly behind the two seats, too, that was efficient but perhaps at times insecure.

I imagine in TNG they had a transporter room because there was one in TOS, and I suppose also they may have had, in universe, a need for the central transporter equipment for a big ol ship. DS9 was meant to be docked with and so forth.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I like to think it was so Cardassians coming or going had to do so through station command and under the glare of Dukat. Nobody takes unauthorized trips on Terok Nor, you must get your welcoming in-brief and passive-aggressive outbrief from the station commander.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I like to think it was so Cardassians coming or going had to do so through station command and under the glare of Dukat. Nobody takes unauthorized trips on Terok Nor, you must get your welcoming in-brief and passive-aggressive outbrief from the station commander.
But what if one of them had a loaded phaser or a spatial explosive belt! Then again Dukat WOULD be in his office with the big doors, he'd probably be fine.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Zurui posted:

They were able to shoot much better scenes around that situation table though. The characters can actually stand next to or opposite each other. Ron Moore stole that poo poo straight to BSG.

They did the same thing with the pool table in Engineering on TNG.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I assume there's tons of transporter rooms all over the station, that's just a little small personal one for OPs, seems like a good thing to have very close at hand.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Ops is weird in general because when we see the exterior shots of the station, there clearly should be a pretty big "top" to it above the promenade, but Ops itself is just this camped little room and the only door leads to Sisko's office. What else is on "top" of the station? How do you get there? Shouldn't the operations center for a huge space station have work spaces for more than like six people?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
It's weird that people come off ships straight into the promenade when the station layout diagrams don't show any docking ports that connect to it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I can promise you all that if I was ever put in charge of some sort of science fiction franchise I would make sure that the layout of the ship/station was consistent and matched the outside. If anything I'd see what the budget was like for sets and only finalize the exterior once the interior sets are underway, and make sure everything fits and makes sense. Even if there were never built or used, I'd have a map of the whole thing all done up in basic 3d and used as a reference for writing. "cargo bay 8 is on the left side of the ship, right behind the hydroponic area, so if the script calls for the out of control plant monster to grow into an adjoining area, it would b cargo bay 8". I know the average viewer doesn't even pick up on that stuff, but I think it's worth the tiny bit of extra work.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Timby posted:

They did the same thing with the pool table in Engineering on TNG.

Yeah, I enjoyed how they did that a lot more as the series went on. If Data and Geordi need to troubleshoot something let them do it around a set piece instead of sitting in a meeting room. Add 1-2 other characters for exposition-related questions, background extras as needed.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I feel like if you asked in the late 80s the Star Trek office would have said "oh yeah if the turbolifts went out they could just go down the conference room ramp and get to corridors and utility ladders/stairs from there, nobody's getting ~stuck on the bridge~ like we did in TOS" or something. Disaster is a bit ridiculous in how it's all "oh man EVERYTHING'S SOOOO BROKEN" and yet nobody in any of the shuttlebays decides to pry a door open and get a couple of shuttlecraft pawing around the ship.

Honestly I suspect a lot of TNG writers resented how big and capable the Enterprise-D was supposed to be.

Well, it's a show about the greatest ship humanity has ever designed. To humans of the 1980s, this meant a luxury cruise liner with enough weaponry to glass a planet.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Well, it's a show about the greatest ship humanity has ever designed. To humans of the 1980s, this meant a luxury cruise liner with enough weaponry to glass a planet.

Like they say on Sigma Iotia II, "you can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone"

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

a luxury cruise liner with enough weaponry to glass a planet

I think it's time for a new thread title, don't you?

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Cojawfee posted:

If you got time to lean, you got time to clean.

Loose hips destroy ships.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMHAZwR-BdQ

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Zurui posted:

Yeah, I enjoyed how they did that a lot more as the series went on. If Data and Geordi need to troubleshoot something let them do it around a set piece instead of sitting in a meeting room. Add 1-2 other characters for exposition-related questions, background extras as needed.

They did this really well in The First Duty.

Duckbag posted:

Ops is weird in general because when we see the exterior shots of the station, there clearly should be a pretty big "top" to it above the promenade, but Ops itself is just this camped little room and the only door leads to Sisko's office.

Yeah, it's definitely a weird set and it took talented directors to really make it work (unlike almost every other bridge set ever, as I recall, Ops was only partially wild, which led to even more challenges for directors usually experienced with Trek). James Conway was one of the best at getting creative with angles and making effective use of his limited space; for example, when the Klingons board Ops in The Way of the Warrior, Conway shoots it in such a way that makes the set feel about five times bigger. I know he had been considered to direct First Contact but Paramount went with Frakes (both to make Stewart happy and because Frakes' episodes always came in on-time and under-budget) -- I bet he would have come up with some really intriguing visuals.

Timby fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Oct 30, 2016

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Duckbag posted:

Ops is weird in general because when we see the exterior shots of the station, there clearly should be a pretty big "top" to it above the promenade, but Ops itself is just this camped little room and the only door leads to Sisko's office. What else is on "top" of the station? How do you get there? Shouldn't the operations center for a huge space station have work spaces for more than like six people?
Ops has a windowless basement where all the boring jobs like docking coordination sit.

And there's no doors, that's what the Ops transporter is for.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Knormal posted:

Ops has a windowless basement where all the boring jobs like docking coordination sit.

And there's no doors, that's what the Ops transporter is for.

Did they ever explain that little room on the E that Picard showed Lily in FC?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

That's waste management obviously. Who else would need a door to space?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Mister Kingdom posted:

The one with his little ships?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
That room with the little ships looked like the E's conference room.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gonz posted:

That room with the little ships looked like the E's conference room.

Yep, you very, very briefly see the display case when Picard is delivering Starfleet's orders about patrolling the Neutral Zone at the beginning of the film.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Astroman posted:

The one with his little ships?

The they had to crawl through an opening to get to. It had the force field window.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Looks like i've got some fresh reading to do this week.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Gonz posted:

I got these on audiobook, I'm 11 hours in and they are just wrapping up talking about Undiscovered Country.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Duckbag posted:

There's actually a little oval window at the top of the ops pod which is Sisko's office. There's just another deck under it and then a deck of escape pods.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Mister Kingdom posted:

I don't think anyone ever explained it. My take on it is that it's an umbilical access hatch that would be used when the ship is docked.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

I don't think anyone ever explained it. My take on it is that it's an umbilical access hatch that would be used when the ship is docked.

Could also be for exterior access. Put on an environmental suit, decompress the room, step outside for a bit to work on something.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

It's the Employee Transition Room.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Gonz posted:

I jumped right into the DS9 section and it's great. It's amazing hearing how hard everyone worked and they're really proud of the show but also aware of what worked an didn't work. Then loving berman pipes in now and again and has some barely veiled hatred towards the show because it wasn't on a spaceship. I mean how is it trek if they aren't exploring? Cause they totally didn't explore in ds9. Ds9 was a show about a station and stations don't move so nothing can happen and that's not real trek.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

I jumped right into the DS9 section and it's great. It's amazing hearing how hard everyone worked and they're really proud of the show but also aware of what worked an didn't work. Then loving berman pipes in now and again and has some barely veiled hatred towards the show because it wasn't on a spaceship. I mean how is it trek if they aren't exploring? Cause they totally didn't explore in ds9. Ds9 was a show about a station and stations don't move so nothing can happen and that's not real trek.
Well given Rick Berman's opinions about homosexuals, it's not surprising he didn't believe in any alternate forms of Trekking

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

they're really proud of the show but also aware of what worked an didn't work.
What did they think didn't work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

QuantaStarFire posted:

Could also be for exterior access. Put on an environmental suit, decompress the room, step outside for a bit to work on something.

Didn't the room lack doors, though? It looked like it was a room accessible only via jefferies tubes, with a control panel that opened the wall in front of it into space.

It's as though one of the designers designed, like, a back door for himself or something