Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I ended up with one more sucky game on my list, but hold out for tomorrow. I'm breaking the curse of my last game always being a disappointment. Not only is it good, it's better than I was already led to believe.

1. DISTRAINT
2. Shadowgate
3. Miasmata
4. SOMA
5. Haunt the House: Terrortown
6. Oxenfree
7. Vlad the Impaler
8. Condemned: Criminal Origins
9. The Last Door: Season 2
10. Shadowgrounds
11. The Last NightMary
12. Kholat
13. Fran Bow
14. TRAUMA
15. Alan Wake
16. Dark Fall 1: The Journal
17. Nightmares from the Deep: The Cursed Heart
18. Gabriel Knight - Sins of the Fathers 20th Anniversary Edition
19. Spooky's Jump Scare Mansion
20. The Swapper
21. Monstrum
22. Serena
23. Cry of Fear
24. Black Mirror II
25. S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl
26. Anodyne
27. Abyss: The Wraiths of Eden
28. Noct
29. Outlast

30. Dead Pixels

There's no shortage of ways to kill zombies on Steam. 2D, 3D, low-res, high-res, first-person, third-person, there's something for every would-be hunter of the undead. Dead Pixels is an attempt to capitalize on the retro 2D zombie market, giving you no end of shambling husks to gun down. But while it has some bells and whistles that elevate it beyond a mindless shooter, it also has some problems that run right to its core.

Dead Pixels sets you as a lone survivor in a city of the chemically-reanimated dead. There's an evacuation underway on the other side of town, and if you want to get out with all your limbs attached you'll have to power through plenty of zombies. Along the way you'll find houses and shops to loot, traders to exchange goods with, and all manner of undead standing in your path. Your survivor comes with upgradable stats and a full inventory to manage as well, if blasting zombies wasn't enough.

And it's not. The core gameplay of Dead Pixels has you navigating streets, tunnels, and shopping malls, dodging or gunning down zombies as you travel from left to right. The levels are featureless, save for doors to static scenes at the top of the screen. That means every part of your journey is going to be the same, with just the number of doors and zombies changing things up. Every 10 levels has a unique zombie to gun down, but that's the only thing to look forward to once the undead grind wears out its welcome.

This might not be so terrible if levels were short or there were significant random elements, but you're out of luck here, too. Each section of street takes a couple minutes to traverse, even if you plow straight through. You move painfully slowly (as do most zombies), and while the combat breaks things up a bit it's not even necessary most of the time. You'll want to avoid fights for the most part to save ammo and potential scrapes. Repeat this 20 or more times (depending on the difficulty) and you'll be aching to break up the monotony with something, anything more. But it's all the same.

There are two additional game modes to mention, though one is the same as the base but with no shops and set stats and the other is just a horde mode. You might come across some more creative weapons like freeze rays and lightning guns, but only on higher difficulties. And they're not very well balanced, either... you can become functionally immortal with just the chainsaw. Speaking of balance, the money flows like water so it's not much of a challenge to max out your speed and weapon power and trivialize large portions of the game.

There are plenty of things Dead Pixels does wrong, but still a few it does right. The presentation is a clever pastiche of film-grain B-movies and 8-bit retro aesthetics, if you didn't notice the Mega Man thousand-yard-stare protagonist. The sound design is fine as well, and splattering zombies everywhere is pleasantly messy. If the core gameplay just had a little something else, something to spice up the endless eastward run, Dead Pixels could be a recommendation. As it stands, it's sure to wear out its welcome after just an hour or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Its funny but four of my top ten favorite zombie games are free flash games.

Has anyone here played Lab of the Dead and Decision? SAS and Rebuild arent as good but are also fun.

TSG, if you havent reviewed them yet the first two at least are worth doing next year, I think, if you need more games and are gonna do it again.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Len posted:

Yeah but nothing I had found indicated that could happen. That was a straight up bullshit horror movie death.
The flamethrower guy's notes mention that wendigo can imitate voices. I remembered it just as Ashley was opening the hatch. :gonk:

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Celery Face posted:

The flamethrower guy's notes mention that wendigo can imitate voices. I remembered it just as Ashley was opening the hatch. :gonk:

Yeah I remembered that tidbit and managed to avoid it altogether.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

GlyphGryph posted:

Its funny but four of my top ten favorite zombie games are free flash games.

Thinking of zambie games, I've been replaying State of Decay: YOSE a good bit lately. Not very much on the horror end of zombie games, but it can still have some good moments, first time I ever saw a feral (Much more raggedy zombies with claws that dodge and try to dash up and grapple you) I think I just jumped back in my dumpy rear end little car and started hauling rear end, only to turn the camera back and see that thing sprinting up behind me. :stonk:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The best/worst part of Until Dawn is that there's a chapter missing in the beginning if you didn't get the preorder dlc. It takes place when Emily and Matt are on the way back from looking for her bags. By this point every other character has had creepy poo poo happen but if you don't have that chapter they just pop back up like they had an uneventful walk through the woods and it's hilarious.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Pony Island is on sale right now for $1.64 on Steam. It's not scary per se but it's horror themed, about an endless runner game called Pony Island... that was programmed by Satan.

It plays this absurd concept completely straight except for a couple minor jokes, which makes it fun instead of eye rolling. It's mostly a puzzle game where you screw around to cause the game to crash, cheat yourself a laser beam, unlock secrets about your past, etc. You actually do play the titular game a decent amount, but the ways it changes are amusing. I'm a sucker for "haunted computer" games done well, and this scratches that itch.

It's only a few hours long, and for the price right now it's a steal.

Big Mad Drongo fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Oct 31, 2016

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
https://twitter.com/Swery65/status/792937819064762368 RIP D4 season 2

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Yeah, he's a Buddhist priest now following in the family tradition. I think he's still writing a book about a murder mystery from a cat's perspective and he says he's not done with creative endeavors, just probably video games which must be pretty stressful.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
being a Buddhist monk sounds fun based on the anime I watched. Also D4 is a horror game?

an overdue owl
Feb 26, 2012

hoot

Emily is the best character in Until Dawn, you people are crazy.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
From watching the stream, I was only rooting for that one chick who was just trying to get in the sack with her dogg, but ended up with her jaw ripped off. So that was a bit of a downer. Rest of the teens I could take or leave.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

an overdue owl posted:

Emily is the best character in Until Dawn, you people are crazy.

She has both my favourite my favourite death if you shoot her in the face when everyone realises she's bitten. My gaming buddies all hated her so we decided to shoot her there but her death was so over the top brutal we were like all OH NOOOO EWWWW

she also has the best one liner :)

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Don't forget you will almost immediately discover there was absolutely no reason to kill her which lol

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I'm really glad his health is improving, at least. Swery deserves good things and happiness in life.

Deadly Premonition was a masterpiece.

an overdue owl
Feb 26, 2012

hoot

Artelier posted:

She has both my favourite my favourite death if you shoot her in the face when everyone realises she's bitten. My gaming buddies all hated her so we decided to shoot her there but her death was so over the top brutal we were like all OH NOOOO EWWWW

she also has the best one liner :)

I can get on board with this.

an overdue owl
Feb 26, 2012

hoot

woodenchicken posted:

From watching the stream, I was only rooting for that one chick who was just trying to get in the sack with her dogg, but ended up with her jaw ripped off. So that was a bit of a downer. Rest of the teens I could take or leave.

You weren't won over by Mike's redemption arc? He has a really good dog based storyline too after all.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

an overdue owl posted:

You weren't won over by Mike's redemption arc? He has a really good dog based storyline too after all.

I was genuinely upset when I was worried I got the puppy murdered. Then the trophy popped and I relaxed. He was a good dog :3:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Ah man, that's good to hear but it also sucks.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Now that I've thought of it, I really would like to recommend anyone who hasn't tried Lab of the Dead give it a shot.

The premise is interesting: There's been a zombie apocalypse, but you yourself are in no danger. You've got a military detachment working for you, you've secured the area. You're fine.

You also have a job - to understand what makes zombies tick. How they work. How to beat them. The extent to which they learn, and what they can be taught. If there is any humanity left in them. Whether they can be made into useful tools. That sort of thing. You also have a cell full of captive zombies.

So you conduct experiments - you expose them to different things, build up associations, test things in sequence, try to get them to remember. You'll spend a long time with one zombie, maybe getting it to the point where it eschews eating meat and cuddles a teddy bear. Then, satisfied with this line of research, you'll shoot it in the head and move on to the next one, trying to figure out just how angry you can make it and if that makes it any harder to kill.

It's a rough game, very amateur, but still enjoyable to play and I really do love the concept. I really would love more sciencey research type games in this vein, where you really dig in and try to learn stuff as the primary motivation.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Until Dawn sounds like a pretty great game from this thread. Too bad I'll have to wait for the next generation of PS Now to play it.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Happy Halloween, spooky thread. I saved the best for last this time. Also, if you're going to pick this one up do it right now; it's not part of the Halloween sale but rather one of the stealth weeklong deals that ends in an hour.

1. DISTRAINT
2. Shadowgate
3. Miasmata
4. SOMA
6. Oxenfree
7. Vlad the Impaler
10. Shadowgrounds
11. The Last NightMary
12. Kholat
13. Fran Bow
14. TRAUMA
15. Alan Wake
20. The Swapper
21. Monstrum
22. Serena
23. Cry of Fear
24. Black Mirror II
26. Anodyne
28. Noct
29. Outlast
30. Dead Pixels

31. The Cat Lady

People have been telling me to play The Cat Lady for years. I was hesitant, because as much as I love adventure games it looked like a particularly rough one, both in aesthetic and tone. Well, it was... but in a way that got to me like few other games ever have. And the most remarkable part is, it managed to be brutal and uncomfortable and engrossing and meaningful, all while still being enjoyable as a game.

You play Susan Ashworth, not exactly the brightest ray of sunshine, fresh off her decision to end it all. It's never that simple, of course, and she ends up with a new purpose centered around five mysterious figures. I know I'm being vague as hell here but I really do not want to spoil any of the revelations contained herein. The Cat Lady works best when you approach it fresh and evaluate each event within the context of the game. That's because there's a LOT of moral grays and uncertainty here, and seeing how your notions of right and wrong pan out is where the game really shines.

Speaking of grays, you may have noticed the game looks pretty rough. The art style used throughout is a harsh set of contrasts and colors, cobbled together from what appears to be photo stills. This means a lot of jerky animations and static backdrops that can be unpleasantly blurry or stretched at times. It looks cheap at first glance, but this style is key to the atmosphere of the game. Events in The Cat Lady have surreal qualities, like nightmares ripped from the unquiet mind and superimposed on reality. In that sense, the hacked-up stills and unnatural animations are the perfect representation of distorted existence. It reminds me of the bizarre and sometimes nihilistic animated shorts of MTV's Liquid Television back in the 90s in that they both send my imagination spiraling off into dark places.

Make no mistake, The Cat Lady is a pitch black game. Susan is not a well-adjusted person (despite her satiny voice) and those lives she crosses are often far worse, rapists and psychopaths among them. You'll be spending plenty of time in dingy bathrooms, abattoirs, and nightmare places, scrounging for knives or acids or drugs. There are several layers of horror here, found in the awful spaces you explore, the degenerate people who create these spaces, and what happens to everyone involved. While the game is light on jump scares, it's heavy on shocks just in how depraved or unnatural events can become.

I'm painting a grim picture of the game, which should highlight just how effective a horror game it is. But this hides the true brilliance of The Cat Lady, which is found in its story. At its core, the game is an exploration of depression, loss, and coping mechanisms. Susan has a lot of baggage weighing her down and by the end of the game you'll have rummaged through all of it. Revelations come through some truly excellent dialogue, both in writing and pacing, which helps you relate to this lonely, battered woman. When I started the game I saw Susan as a player avatar but a few hours in she started to emerge as a familiar figure, a person I could understand and empathize with.

There are several scenes in The Cat Lady that are crafted with such expert care that they shock not with horror, but with familiarity. Anyone who has struggled with relationships or depression is going to be hit hard, in a way that can very well prompt some serious self-reflection. There are no cheap shots here, only windows into very human conflicts. I was so drawn in by the characters that by the end I found myself shouting at them or cursing my decisions affecting them, things I almost never do in other games. The emotional peaks and valleys here are so much sharper than what I was expecting, each one spurring me on to see what other wonders and horrors were in store.

This is all built atop an adventure game that still has a few surprises to be found in the systems. Several chapters introduce new temporary mechanics that have profound impacts on the tone and flow. One might have you managing sanity on narrow margins, while another puts you in control of a sprawling investigation with clues and leads to follow. Even the core gameplay of walking, talking, and collecting items features some very clever puzzles to test you. The interface is purely keyboard based and might be my only gripe, because it makes some repetitive or input-heavy puzzles more of a chore than they should be.

The further I got into The Cat Lady, the more time I wanted to spend with it. I marathoned the entire back half of the game because I could not bear not knowing what was going to happen next. It's a strange thing to say about a game ostensibly about suicide and depression but Susan is an absolutely enthralling protagonist. She has depth, she has development, and as time passes she becomes more and more relatable, almost unsettlingly so. The end is such a perfect capstone to the experience that I wish I could go back and experience it fresh all over again. I still might try, because The Cat Lady is hands-down one of the best narrative experiences I've had the pleasure of playing through.

I'll be back in the afternoon for a proper send-off.

BluJay
Oct 1, 2004

I've got my eye on the finish line

Too Shy Guy posted:

If you've played The Last Door Season 1 and have been sitting around waiting for Season 2, now's not a bad time to pick it up on a small discount. And if you've been sitting this series out, I have such sights to show you...

[/b]

Under this recommendation, I picked up The Last Door during the Steam Halloween sale. It's cheap as hell now, and totally worth every penny. Really enjoying the atmosphere. The art and animation, while simple, is effective and arresting. I'm currently in the 2nd episode of season 2 and can't wait to see how it all ends. One thing I'm really impressed by, especially in the second season is the sound design. Environmental sounds lead the player and hint at horrible things just out of sight. Anyone who hasn't played it, I'd add in my recommendation as well.

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.
Hey, Routine is apparently still a thing, and has a release date window. Miracles will never cease!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

dregan posted:

Hey, Routine is apparently still a thing, and has a release date window. Miracles will never cease!

Came here to post this, gently caress.yes.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

:spooky: Spooky Games 3: Season of the Witch FINAL CUT :spooky:

1. DISTRAINT
2. Shadowgate
3. Miasmata
4. SOMA
6. Oxenfree
7. Vlad the Impaler
10. Shadowgrounds
11. The Last NightMary
12. Kholat
13. Fran Bow
14. TRAUMA
15. Alan Wake
20. The Swapper
21. Monstrum
22. Serena
23. Cry of Fear
24. Black Mirror II
26. Anodyne
28. Noct
29. Outlast
30. Dead Pixels
31. The Cat Lady

Well that was a hell of a month. 31 games reviewed, and only three of them bad. Adventure games were the big stand-outs for me this time, and somehow each one managed to be very different and explore its own brand of horror while still being effective. First-person horror might be the most viscerally scary but adventures are probably my favorites, allowing for a lot more latitude in how they toy with you. There's also a lot of good free horror out there, and that's something I'll probably focus more on next year.

With only three negative reviews it wouldn't be much help to break the list down into good or bad, so let me just highlight the real stand-outs of the month.

Best Exploration Game
Miasmata - Wandering the deserted island and piecing together a map is surprisingly engaging, and then the pitch black night comes and something emerges from the shadows.

Best Action Game
Condemned: Criminal OriginsCondemned: Criminal Origins[/url] - It's ridiculous how well this one's held up, and how such a combat-heavy game can terrorize so effectively.

Best Free Game
Spooky's Jump Scare Mansion - This shouldn't work as well as it does, but there are just enough spooks and surprises to keep you on your toes.

Best Short Game
DISTRAINT - This one crams an entire tale of guilt and pathos into just an hour or two, with uniquely creepy-cute graphics to sell it.

Best Adventure
The Cat Lady - I've never been sucked into a game like this, between the excellent writing and the incredibly effective art style.

Best of the Month
SOMA - A thrilling, terrifying, thought-provoking experience the whole way through.

Honorable Mention
The Last Door: Season 2 - Taken as a whole with Season 1, this is probably the best eldritch horror game out there.

I'd like to thank everyone who followed along and shared their opinions of the game I've covered this month. As always, if you like what I'm doing you can find more in my curation group. And with that, good sale hunting to you, and Happy Halloween!

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Fine work as usual , Too Shy Guy; I now have a lot of recommendations to be scared by, so thank you once again!

Speaking of which, I've finished Yomawari yesterday; I found to be a very solid, creepy little title that didn't overstay its welcome and made loads of references to Japanese ghosts and spirits. Just remember to shift the controls around if you don't have a controller, because it's tricky enough without spraining your hand.

And if you're particularly sensitive to animal death, well... brace yourself.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
I finished SOMA this weekend!

I enjoyed myself overall, but seriously Simon, you've gone through this exact process multiple times, how have you not figured out that "you" are going to get left behind?! That's exactly what happens, every single time! There is no coin toss!

I'm a little torn on the ethical dilemmas the game places you in, on one hand I like how the entire punch of them is just how it makes you feel as a player, but at the same time I sort of wish they had SOME kind of gameplay associated with them? But then doing so would absolutely imply there is a "correct" choice and that would completely undermine the point :saddowns:

Still! It was a mindfuck and I had a good time of it
Go play SOMA!

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

I played through Fran Bow today in more or less one sitting. It's very interesting and I'm glad to have played it, but one word I'd use to describe it is....unsatisfying? After the first chapter you get no real sense of closure or clarity at all and only the tiniest little tidbits of information. In the end, it really is that the best explanation is that Fran really does have crazy inter-dimensional powers and everything in the game is very literal. Although my opinion would be higher if the third chapter wasn't so long, it REALLY dragged on much longer than it should have compared to the others. I thought the first chapter was fantastic and really rode the line between the fantasy and reality of damaged, sick children, and parts of the second chapter as well with the twin's house that you realize is just the well that dead and aborted children were thrown down. But after that it's all for it's own sake, nothing you get after has any real payoff except what it offers at face value. Although I also agree with others who said that an "it was all in your head wooooOOOooooo" ending would have been really hamhanded.

Gonna go hug my cats.

Safari Disco Lion fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Nov 1, 2016

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!

Too Shy Guy posted:

I'd like to thank everyone who followed along and shared their opinions of the game I've covered this month. As always, if you like what I'm doing you can find more in my curation group. And with that, good sale hunting to you, and Happy Halloween!
Thank you so much for doing this.. made October a ton more fun. Playing three scary games tonight with friends, actually!

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Poulpe posted:

I enjoyed myself overall, but seriously Simon, you've gone through this exact process multiple times, how have you not figured out that "you" are going to get left behind?! That's exactly what happens, every single time! There is no coin toss!

In Simon's defence they mention a couple times how the scans are programmed to not realize they're a scan because it makes them go bananas and fry themselves, so Simon thinking there's a coin toss despite the crazy amount of evidence otherwise is probably part of the WAU altering his programming. In fact, Simon is the first scan that DIDN'T go bananas once they realized they were a scan of a human programmed into a robot controlling a human corpse.

And odds are, you killed the WAU, which just figured out how to make a human scan robot that could understand what it was without going insane :saddowns: you just personally doomed Earth. I hope you're happy.

SOMA has layers, is what I'm getting at. Frankly the whole epilogue with the ARK flying off and Ark!Simon never realizing how the 'coin flip' works is sorta a really dark ending. I really love SOMA.

Danaru fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Nov 1, 2016

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
Report: Uncanny Valley is unintuitive, boring, and bad.

Lots of bad gameplay decisions, awful UI, and inconsistent controls make this game a pain to play. (A timed game where half of your time is spent commuting to the place of interest... and your sprint is limited... and the timer counts down while you're reading countless boring emails that are presented in a difficult-to-read font... that's a lovely thing to do.) E is Use, but Space is Pick Up(???). But you use E to read a computer, but to leave the screen, you press Space for some reason. Some menus come up on the screen, but you are still able to move around underneath it (I guess this is to be more survival-horrory? So that you can be attacked when fiddling with items? But it doesn't work and seems like a programming mistake here, in rooms where bad dudes seemingly never exist). Some of these menus you click away, some you press space or E or Enter, and the escape key never escapes any menus, just pauses the game on top of a menu. Some things are just glitchy-feeling... I wasn't able to shoot my gun for some reason. I had 10 ammo, but upon firing it, it went "click" as if I had zero ammo. I then got killed. Also the save system did not work for me so that's kinda hosed up too. The unforgivingness of the timed days, along with the obtuseness of the puzzles/fetch quests makes Uncanny Valley feel way more like a merciless, sloggy point-and-click adventure game than a survival horror thing, especially since the horror bits are kinda smattered around, and are explained away real quick, with little mystery left over for the imagination to conjure spooky poo poo out of it. One is night terrors, the other is robots. The robots went nuts.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Great write ups Too Shy Guy, thank you for doing it a third year in a row!

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
Yeah thanks Too Shy Guy! I really love these every year!

Safari Disco Lion posted:

I played through Fran Bow today in more or less one sitting. It's very interesting and I'm glad to have played it, but one word I'd use to describe it is....unsatisfying?
Definitely agree with this! It has such a strong start that feels so paranormal and... horror, and then takes this hard left turn into fantasy (and then sci fi? Sorta?) suddenly and you're left with this ending reveal that covers a bit of backstory and not much else, leaving the whole parallel dimension/hallucination thing completely up in the air. Understandably, as they'd definitely written themselves into a corner in some sense, but it felt like it ended on a cliffhanger of sorts that wasn't at all satisfying.

Danaru posted:

Soma
And odds are, you killed the WAU, which just figured out how to make a human scan robot that could understand what it was without going insane :saddowns: you just personally doomed Earth. I hope you're happy.
While most of the moral choices the game has you make impacted me pretty well, this one felt a little like a bait and switch. The game REALLY wants you to do it. and then SURPRISE! You hosed the last hope we had for our actual physical bodies! I had sort of put together by that point that WAU was doing it's "best" and it's completely ambiguous whether it would defile humanity further or actually manage to turn things around (you're even given that little mini scene of the WAU simulation, which seemed as good as the ARK, why's it any worse just because your body is attached to it? You even get to retain your personal consciousness!) but I still did it after hours and hours having it drilled into my head how "evil" it was. It sort of felt like it saved some of the more positive WAU tidbits until you'd already melted it.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Poulpe posted:

I finished SOMA this weekend!

There's a pretty neat implication here if you unpack it all the way. If there is no coin toss, then the Simon you play as the entire game is the deep sea suit copy made at Omicron. Just like the opening segment in Canada, everything that happens in PATHOS-II up to his creation at Omicron must be memories copied from the previous copies. That means to him, he's never "lost" a coin toss. He "won" the coin toss to end up in a robot body instead of long dead, and he "won" the coin toss that put him into the deep sea suit. So from his perspective, what happens at Phi is absolutely unfair because there's no reason for him to believe he'll ever be the one left behind. He's 2 for 2 at that point, after all.

And thanks for all the kind words, everyone. :3:

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Too Shy Guy posted:

There's a pretty neat implication here if you unpack it all the way. If there is no coin toss, then the Simon you play as the entire game is the deep sea suit copy made at Omicron. Just like the opening segment in Canada, everything that happens in PATHOS-II up to his creation at Omicron must be memories copied from the previous copies. That means to him, he's never "lost" a coin toss. He "won" the coin toss to end up in a robot body instead of long dead, and he "won" the coin toss that put him into the deep sea suit. So from his perspective, what happens at Phi is absolutely unfair because there's no reason for him to believe he'll ever be the one left behind. He's 2 for 2 at that point, after all.

And thanks for all the kind words, everyone. :3:

Yeah, I see it the same way I think of (spoilered for pretty old by now magician film but it's a big twist) The Prestige. I remember having arguments about whether the original Hugh Jackman ends up drowning or was the one that got teleported, but came to the conclusion that it doesn't matter; from the surviving Hugh Jackman's POV, he was always the original that survived, and that's all that matters.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

VoidBurger posted:

Report: Uncanny Valley is unintuitive, boring, and bad.

Lots of bad gameplay decisions, awful UI, and inconsistent controls make this game a pain to play. (A timed game where half of your time is spent commuting to the place of interest... and your sprint is limited... and the timer counts down while you're reading countless boring emails that are presented in a difficult-to-read font... that's a lovely thing to do.) E is Use, but Space is Pick Up(???). But you use E to read a computer, but to leave the screen, you press Space for some reason. Some menus come up on the screen, but you are still able to move around underneath it (I guess this is to be more survival-horrory? So that you can be attacked when fiddling with items? But it doesn't work and seems like a programming mistake here, in rooms where bad dudes seemingly never exist). Some of these menus you click away, some you press space or E or Enter, and the escape key never escapes any menus, just pauses the game on top of a menu. Some things are just glitchy-feeling... I wasn't able to shoot my gun for some reason. I had 10 ammo, but upon firing it, it went "click" as if I had zero ammo. I then got killed. Also the save system did not work for me so that's kinda hosed up too. The unforgivingness of the timed days, along with the obtuseness of the puzzles/fetch quests makes Uncanny Valley feel way more like a merciless, sloggy point-and-click adventure game than a survival horror thing, especially since the horror bits are kinda smattered around, and are explained away real quick, with little mystery left over for the imagination to conjure spooky poo poo out of it. One is night terrors, the other is robots. The robots went nuts.
Looks like someone got a Bad End...
I had a similar experience.. got a "gently caress you" ending when I died trying to figure out the inventory for the first time, while being attacked by a baddie for the first time. I even wanted to replay and see other endings, but the thought of going through the first half of the game over and over again was too much, it's all just slow scripted scenes and filler.
Not even sure what I could have done differently anyway (other than not dying).

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Poulpe posted:

Definitely agree with this! It has such a strong start that feels so paranormal and... horror, and then takes this hard left turn into fantasy (and then sci fi? Sorta?) suddenly and you're left with this ending reveal that covers a bit of backstory and not much else, leaving the whole parallel dimension/hallucination thing completely up in the air. Understandably, as they'd definitely written themselves into a corner in some sense, but it felt like it ended on a cliffhanger of sorts that wasn't at all satisfying.

It makes more sense when you think about the whole of Chapter 3 as a crazy hallucination as a side effect from the drug she was on, or/combined with a near death experience from falling off the tree bridge. Then after the bit with Deern, she goes back into another hallucination, meets up with Oswald and Grace who reveal a bit more, then Oswald kills her while she tries to strangle Grace, and the ending is just her dying and going to her fantasy world she wanted to return to so badly. And, if you consider the dead cat in the casket and that the Mr Midnight she finds in chapter 2 may just be part of the hallucination, it's not hard to think that Grace got some other random black cat, which is why Fran couldn't talk to it like Mr Midnight, and killed it in front of her to put a stop that part of her delusions.

It doesn't NOT make sense as a 'it was all in her head' scenario but it still feels like grasping at straws somewhat, moreso than just taking all of it very literally. There's just not a satisfying way to approach the story as a whole no matter what angle, so really, just take it for what it's worth, which is very interesting and imaginative, if nothing else. I would have liked a compromise between the two, like she really does have some psychic abilities to read into peoples' histories, like the other kids at the asylum and Deern's abusive childhood, and that's why Oswald wanted her so much and why Grace sold out the family by, I dunno, having Fran drugged to send her into some psychotic episode where she killed her parents so she'd be sent to the asylum for experiments. It even fits well since at the beginning Grace and Fran are having dinner together, she could have slipped some of the experimental medication into it.

edit: I checked the Steam forums and there's apparently a Fran Bow 2 planned! Not necessarily in the works right now as the two person dev team are making one or two other games and want more experience with things like voice acting and Unity, but it's definitely planned. The ending of the first game did have a few openings for a sequel so I will definitely look forward to it if it happens.

Safari Disco Lion fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Nov 1, 2016

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
The problem I had with Uncanny Valley was that it set itself up as a sort of choose-your-own-adventure game, where you can sort of have choices and do things based on the timer that the game has...but then it throws that stuff away and is basically "A couple ways to get to the generic side-scrolling horror segment of the game'. Could've been cool, giving you options on how to react to different things, like leaving or just going crazy and shooting the guard, or simply not showing up and having everything go to poo poo, etc, but no, it's just generic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diesel Fucker
Aug 14, 2003

I spent my rent money on tentacle porn.
Christ, I picked up Uncanny Valley near enough a year ago to the day thanks to this thread. Onle of the puzzles didn't work with a controller and once I ended up under the facility trying to escape the game just freaked the gently caress out. Like most the doors led me back to the starting room and I inadvertently got the bad ending without knowing why.

Shame too, seemed like it had some chops but it just never clicked.