Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eames
May 9, 2009

fictional product lines:

12" MacBook Air = current MacBook
13" MacBook Air = new 13" MBP 2 port Thunderbolt
15" MacBook Air = new 15" MBP 4 port Thunderbolt, Iris Pro/GT4e iGPU only

13" MacBook Pro = old rMBP-size case with quadcore Skylake, new thin screen, 2 TB3/USB-C ports, 1 USB-A, SD-Reader, 2 SO-DIMM slots
15" MacBook Pro = same as above but with Radeon 460 dGPU and one additional TB3/USB-C port
17" MacBook Pro = same as above but with 4K display, optional hexacore, 50W GPU, 2.5" bay

TB3 eGPU support for all machines.

Hey, let me dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

People were predicting a 15" air at one point but that seems so ridiculous. The footprint of the 15" makes it not well suited to carrying around like an 11-13"

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

eames posted:

fictional product lines:

12" MacBook Air = current MacBook
13" MacBook Air = new 13" MBP 2 port Thunderbolt
15" MacBook Air = new 15" MBP 4 port Thunderbolt, Iris Pro/GT4e iGPU only

13" MacBook Pro = old rMBP-size case with quadcore Skylake, new thin screen, 2 TB3/USB-C ports, 1 USB-A, SD-Reader, 2 SO-DIMM slots
15" MacBook Pro = same as above but with Radeon 460 dGPU and one additional TB3/USB-C port
17" MacBook Pro = same as above but with 4K display, optional hexacore, 50W GPU, 2.5" bay

TB3 eGPU support for all machines.

Hey, let me dream.
I see why you'd like this, but the problem with this is that a company that'd do it like this would still have all of their laptops looking like this:

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Cingulate posted:

Laptops are a compromise between portability and power.

That's fine, but it'd be nice if they didn't have multiple lines all converging on the same point. They should be making these computers as thin and light as possible within the confines of what people use them for and it's clear that a lot of people think their utility as tools has been compromised in the effort to make them more portable.

I mean, there's a reason they introduced the Air and didn't just make that the Pro.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The 12" Macbook is the new air. Remember that the Air was expensive as gently caress when it first came out and it was super slow. Things will settle down after 2-3 refreshes.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Oct 31, 2016

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

sethsez posted:

That's fine, but it'd be nice if they didn't have multiple lines all converging on the same point
They're not? The retina Macbook is the new Air.
The Pro even has moving parts still!

sethsez posted:

They should be making these computers as thin and light as possible within the confines of what people use them for and it's clear that a lot of people think their utility as tools has been compromised in the effort to make them more portable.
I disagree with the last claim. I don't think many people are compromised by the lack of 32GB. I think the ports definitely limit people, but that's not done to get it thinner, but to speed up the process of making newer technology a standard.

It's very good Apple keeps saying no.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

I just looked up the weight differences. Officially, the 15" 2015 is heavier than the 2014. But from the 2014 to 2016, they knocked off under a half-pound. From 4.46 to now ~4.03.

That is... extremely underwhelming given the sacrifices...

Also the internet's dustin curtis just posted this pic of the touchbar plus its bezel. this confirms why the virtual ESC doesn't line up (cause it can't)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Cingulate posted:

I'm saying Apple pissing people off is good, and I hope they never stop.

:laffo:

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Removing the Ethernet port doesn't compare to removing hdmi or normal USB ports. Everyone already had wireless home networks when Apple killed Ethernet in the Pro.

The only ports on the new pro are for poo poo that nobody has. Does that compare to the USB situation on the original iMac?

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Dangerllama posted:

Thin is nice, but yeah. When it starts to interfere with things like key travel, you probably need to back off a skosh.

how angry were you when laptops stopped shipping huge mechanical keyboards by default

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
It is really weird to go from not having a port on the 2015 model to only having that port on the 2016 model.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
USB1 was still pretty novel when the iMac came out so yes this is probably an apt comparison.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

prom candy posted:

It is really weird to go from not having a port on the 2015 model to only having that port on the 2016 model.

It's almost worse with PC companies that do half-rear end changes. A lot of them ship laptops that have several USB ports but only some of them are USB 3 while others are USB 2. Why the hell would you do that?

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
same reason the new iPhone 7 32gb ships with a lovely network card

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Mu Zeta posted:

It's almost worse with PC companies that do half-rear end changes. A lot of them ship laptops that have several USB ports but only some of them are USB 3 while others are USB 2. Why the hell would you do that?

It's cheaper?

quote:

USB1 was still pretty novel when the iMac came out so yes this is probably an apt comparison.

iMac still had a CD-ROM though.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

MrBond posted:

The iMac still had Ethernet and 56k ports. And they ended up adding FireWire after a while too. But never more than 2 USB ports which was stupid

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

I don't suppose the new hardware supports HDMI alt mode? I can't find any actual USB C to HDMI cables, just tech news articles saying they're coming soon though.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

zergstain posted:

I don't suppose the new hardware supports HDMI alt mode? I can't find any actual USB C to HDMI cables, just tech news articles saying they're coming soon though.

Here's a confusing guide to USB C and Thunderbolt 3

http://blog.fosketts.net/2016/10/29/total-nightmare-usb-c-thunderbolt-3/

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Monoprice USB-C to DisplayPort Cable, $35
Monoprice Select USB-C to HDMI Adapter, $15
Monoprice Select USB 3.0 USB-C to USB-A Female Cable, $8
Monoprice USB 3.0 USB-C to USB Micro B Cable, $6

Under $75

Oh wait, $49 for an Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Motherfucker. The MacBook uses USB C and the MacBook Pro uses Thunderbolt 3

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

We're undergoing this awkward transitionary phase to full wireless and it's completely poo poo

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bob Morales posted:

Motherfucker. The MacBook uses USB C and the MacBook Pro uses Thunderbolt 3
Apple doesn't care about people who own both :(

Quantum of Phallus posted:

We're undergoing this awkward transitionary phase to full wireless and it's completely poo poo
This!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Cingulate posted:

I wish they'd make the battery last longer. 16 to 32 GB really isn't that big of a difference: neither is a real compute server, either is sufficient for 99% of what 99% of people do.

I wish they'd make it slimmer. What's a good trade-off with battery life? I'm not sure. I just hope the next gen will be slimmer AND have more battery.

Apple's got their priorities just right. "Thinner!" is a joke to a lot of people somehow. I'm thinking: if Apple hadn't one day decided to make the first underpowered Air without LAN, laptops would still be horrible. Instead, it's 2016 and laptops are wonderful. And that includes them being really light. I carry a laptop around 4 hours every single day. I'm drat glad I get to do that in 2016 rather than 2006.

Same goes for battery life and screens.

Why can't there be a model of laptop for you who has to carry it everywhere and another model of laptop for me who leaves it on a desk 99% of the time.
That's what we used to have and it seemed perfectly OK at the time.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

~Coxy posted:

Why can't there be a model of laptop for you who has to carry it everywhere and another model of laptop for me who leaves it on a desk 99% of the time.
Why can't I have something with a retina display and 16GB of RAM to carry around?

Why don't you get an iPad and an iMac instead of buying a laptop that sits on your desk 99% of the time? [Why????]

Thankfully, Tim Cook loves us both and just released a machine with a lot of power that's also portable. It's amazing. The future is amazing.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Cingulate posted:

Why can't I have something with a retina display and 16GB of RAM to carry around?

Why don't you get an iPad and an iMac instead of buying a laptop that sits on your desk 99% of the time? [Why????]

Thankfully, Tim Cook loves us both and just released a machine with a lot of power that's also portable. It's amazing. The future is amazing.

and even more expensive

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Cingulate posted:

I see why you'd like this, but the problem with this is that a company that'd do it like this would still have all of their laptops looking like this:

Give me that with upgraded internals and I'd be happy as a clam.

Cingulate posted:

I carry my laptop between my living room and my home office. I like to have my real computer with me when I travel because an iPad isn't good enough. I'm not really seeing why this seems like a strange use case.

Luceo fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Oct 31, 2016

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The most disappointing thing to me is that the price of the 2015 15" refurb didn't drop.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

and even more expensive
That's true.

Luceo posted:

Give me that with upgraded internals and I'd be happy as a clam.
Well, I'm glad Apple doesn't care much for what you say would make you happy. I'm glad they keep, and I know it's a trite cliche, trying to push the envelope.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Cingulate posted:

instead of buying a laptop that sits on your desk 99% of the time? [Why????]

I do this except it sits by my bed. The reason is - I have a work laptop that stays at work (ugh can you imagine coming in and telling them I broke their $2k asset), I have a gaming desktop, but sometimes I need a portable personal machine. I also want that portable machine to be powerful. I move it from room to room and sometimes I travel with it, and all of my stuff is just there. Not at these new prices with these new specs, but I suppose I am a bit biased, since the mid 2015 is pretty loving awesome and I like my function keys as a dev.

Don't know about that guy, though.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Cingulate posted:

Because aside from an outdated trash can Apple doesn't offer anything better than a laptop if you want to bring your own monitor.

Splinter fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Oct 31, 2016

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Splinter posted:

Because aside from an outdated trash can Apple doesn't offer anything better than a laptop if you want to bring your own monitor.
Not a problem that should be fixed by loving up the laptops.

Pivo posted:

I do this except it sits by my bed. The reason is - I have a work laptop that stays at work
I'll keep asking this. Why. Stationary. Laptop.!?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Cingulate posted:

Oh, why did work buy me a laptop that I only keep at my desk? That probably wasn't their intent, they probably intended for me to take it home. They asked me if I wanted a Surface Pro or a Surface Book and I read good things about the Book so I chose that. TBH I asked them for a Macbook Pro but being a Microsoft shop they said "we don't really do that around here" (even though my boss uses one, I think he owns it). Anyhow, our VPN works perfectly fine from OS X and Microsoft's new Remote Desktop works fabulously so I can just RDP in from home to my laptop instead of bringing the drat thing home with me.

Again, I really don't think it's the use-case they intended, but it's how I use it. When and if I leave, they'll have that laptop for someone who maybe is a remote worker or has to travel for work often. I never do work anywhere other than the office and at home, there's no reason for me to travel with my work laptop.

That being said, it's pretty darn convenient to take it to meetings and stuff, and with the Surface Dock all I have to do is unplug one cable.

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.

Cingulate posted:

I'm a big stationary laptop guy, by stationary I mean it's only moved from room to room in my house and I don't carry it anywhere outside of that normally.

When I work from home using it doesn't feel like work when I can use it wherever I want. My desk, dining table, couch.... It's nice not being chained to a desk.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Cingulate posted:

I'm sure a bunch of people thought that when the Air came out, and a bunch of people will say it when the first Pro is sub-1cm while being more powerful than today's model.

Again: I carry my Air with me 4 hours a day. I'm drat glad it's as thin as it is, and I hope they can make it thinner.

Enjoy your "keyboard" on a sub-1cm laptop.
loving idiot.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Why do you think typing is that be all end all? There used to be no typing, there is typing, there will be no more typing. We're going through this awkward transitionitory phase where's there's still typing.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000
It looks like we're not going to see 32 GB of RAM in the ultrabook category until LPDDR4 is widely available. Skylake only supports LPDDR3 at a max of 16 GB. Kaby Lake does not appear to support LPDDR4 either except in their ultra-low power chips (presumably not the ones you would see in a MacBook Pro).

Comparable ultrabooks using LPDDR3 (Dell XPS 13, Surface Book) also max out at 16 GB, so this seems to be a hardware limitation. In order to get to 32 GB you need to switch to DDR4, which is what the Dell XPS 15 does, but its resulting battery life does not appear all that great.

If we're indeed stuck with LPDDR3 on Skylake and Kaby Lake for this year and next year, it's entirely possible we won't see 32 GB MacBook Pros until 2018, unless Apple is willing to switch from LPDDR3 to DDR4 like other vendors have done, and make up for lost battery life with power savings elsewhere.

NoDamage fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Oct 31, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
eGPUs are like the solar panel roads of computers.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Solar panel roads are completely infeasible and will never be a reality, eGPUs can actually work, and already do work in some capacity and do provide a significant benefit. They just cost too much, and on the Mac, the driver support isn't there. The hardware support exists though. I can imagine a TB dock with a PCIe slot for an eGPU, but the dock will be expensive and the bandwidth to the GPU will be limited. Would still beat the pants off a mobile GPU... This isn't science fiction, unlike solar roadways.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Pivo posted:

Solar panel roads are completely infeasible and will never be a reality, eGPUs can actually work, and already do work in some capacity and do provide a significant benefit. They just cost too much, and on the Mac, the driver support isn't there. The hardware support exists though. I can imagine a TB dock with a PCIe slot for an eGPU, but the dock will be expensive and the bandwidth to the GPU will be limited. Would still beat the pants off a mobile GPU... This isn't science fiction, unlike solar roadways.

They're (both) real dumb and no one but turbo nerds actually wants one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Cingulate posted:

How are you so hung up on this of all things? A lot of people, especially in the fields Apple traditionally targets, split work between home and office and throwing your machine in a messenger bag is pretty convienent. If it isn't something that you literally carry all day but just stick in your car then carry to the office the weight isn't an issue at all.
Doubly so if your work involves actual travel at all. Do I want to be Super Productivity Man trying to balance a 15 inch on a coach tray table for five hours? No but it's pretty loving sweet when I'm in the hotel room and frankly I can just use that airplane time to read or sleep or whatever.

It's cool if your use case is sticking an ultra light under your arm for business meetings or whatever but not everyone needs or wants that.

Also you are ignoring that a LOT of people have a single computer. Maybe it sits on your desk 99 days out of 100 but those 3.5 days a year when you want it to be mobile are a pretty compelling argument for getting a laptop.