Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

Mercrom posted:

The circular firing squad is necessary because leftism isn't an ideology it's a testing ground for really stupid progressive ideas and some good ones.

gfsincere seems to generalize about people a whole loving lot which doesn't make it convincing when he says that his personal opinions are important because he is a minority. There are minority Trump supporters and we don't need to value his insight any more than theirs.

Mercrom posted:

You know what's racist? Infantilizing minorities. I don't think people in this thread has held you to the standard of an adult. You don't even know what the word "generalization" means. You are a loving idiot and that is the least racist thing anyone has said about you in this thread.

Mercrom posted:

gfsincere has a point. How do you people think he's just an angry rear end in a top hat and not genuinely crazy or trolling?

Mercrom posted:

It's neither. He's arguing that way because it works. It's more effective to shame people than to have coherent arguments.

Mercrom posted:

The truth is you calling out racism isn't relevant. It doesn't suddenly make your arguments better than theirs. I could literally be Hitler hiding in South America and it wouldn't change the validity of my arguments.

I am an rear end in a top hat and I don't care if you are too and I don't care if you think I'm racist. I have no idea what tone policing is and I don't care. I find it very hard to argue your points because most of them consist entirely of variations of "white people are racist in general therefore you are racist and wrong". I'm sure you have made some good points a few hundred pages back but everything I've read from you is self-righteous anti-intellectual garbage and ad hominems. That is not offensive in itself but the fact that many people are intimidated by it take it seriously is and that makes me angry.

Also yeah the statue of liberty is hypocritical. It's because people are selfish assholes and that definitely includes you.

This guy is really loving mad holy heck!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Majorian posted:

In all honesty, I don't think I've ever used that turn of phrase in any context.

You should, it's a good phrase.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

EDIT: gently caress it this isn't worth it.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

AriadneThread posted:

jesus this is still going on?

can we at least all agree mt. rushmore is dumb as hell? 'cause i can get on that train

also, what is the deal with calling someone 'angry'? even if it's true what does that matter to the argument?

Without Mt. Rushmore where would we hide our national treasures?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Ruggan posted:

Can I give my real opinion on that white girl indian thing that nobody wants to hear?

Okay. Buckle up.

I think they probably just grew up in a part of the country where people find that garbage funny and while it isn't excusable I'd blame environment for their poor sense of humor. Maybe instead of demonizing them or calling for their heads someone should educate them on why that is a terrible joke to find funny? Maybe, just maybe, they aren't evil people to their core? Public shaming also goes a long way.

Thanks for the time at the soapbox on an issue unrelated to our election.

Why are you so much more concerned with the well being of the perpetrators than the victims

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Ruggan posted:

Can I give my real opinion on that white girl indian thing that nobody wants to hear?

Okay. Buckle up.

I think they probably just grew up in a part of the country where people find that garbage funny and while it isn't excusable I'd blame environment for their poor sense of humor. Maybe instead of demonizing them or calling for their heads someone should educate them on why that is a terrible joke to find funny? Maybe, just maybe, they aren't evil people to their core? Public shaming also goes a long way.

You can recognize all those things and still find the situation lamentable and upsetting

The blowback they're going to get will be terrible and disproportionate but also what they're doing is really messed up

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Squeegy posted:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Ruggan posted:

You should, it's a good phrase.

Nah, sounds overtly racist.

Complaint Compilation
Apr 8, 2016

:sax:

Ruggan posted:

Okay. Buckle up.

This. This is what I meant initially. There are some seriously backwards parts of the country where this poo poo is tolerated/encouraged. They're terrifying.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ruggan posted:

Okay. Buckle up.

Public shaming goes a lot farther when people don't go "yes it was racist, but"

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

theflyingorc posted:

You can recognize all those things and still find the situation lamentable and upsetting

The blowback they're going to get will be terrible and disproportionate but also what they're doing is really messed up

Those White kids will get nasty, angry words directed at them, while Black kids continue to get shot or go to prison.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

theflyingorc posted:

But like

They still have the news

Lived experience >>> news.

Ruggan posted:

You're such an angry poster. I still disagree and I think you're being intentionally obtuse. It matters to some degree regardless of what you say, as much or little as you care to ascribe to it (none).

Yes!!! Bring out the angry black man trope once again! How dare a black person fire someone for making a workplace hostile towards minorities! What an angry and put of line opinion!

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
It's okay to be angry.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Majorian posted:

Nah, sounds overtly racist.

I try not to use it but also not to judge people who do because you have to be told it is racist or you just don't know

I never questioned the phrase about tiny shovel nomenclature until somebody told me

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Ruggan posted:

Okay. Buckle up.

racism is still racism even if it's condensed into a liquid and injected into a baby's arm at birth against their will or knowledge, and it's not like anyone in this thread is in a position to track down these two women and patronizingly explain why what they did is bad, is this thread is doing a great job showcasing, you can't educate the unwilling
maybe i've missed it, but i haven't really seen anyone here demonize them, either? unless you equate demonizing with calling someone racist in which case, look in the mirror friend, the demons were inside us all along

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

theflyingorc posted:

I try not to use it but also not to judge people who do because you have to be told it is racist or you just don't know

I never questioned the phrase about tiny shovel nomenclature until somebody told me

What are you talking abou

quote:

The phrase predates the use of the word "spade" as an ethnic slur against African Americans, which was not recorded until 1928; however, in contemporary U.S. society, the idiom is often avoided due to potential confusion with the slur.

Oh :smith:

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Why are you so much more concerned with the well being of the perpetrators than the victims

Why are you being intentionally obtuse? Is this a common theme?

I think it's bad. They should think it's bad. I don't think it's bad enough that they should get destroyed over it. Look up Justine Sacco. She said terrible poo poo and the internet brought her life to its knees. I don't think that the punishment fits the deed, so to speak. Do you?

Maybe it's okay to be concerned with the well being of both the victims and the perpetrators? You know, fellow human beings?

theflyingorc posted:

Exactly. 100%

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

theflyingorc posted:

You know what's actually terrible and disproportionate? The treatment of Native Americans by this country and the fact that the only reason Standing Rock is a thing is because the white people in Bismarck were not okay with the pipeline fuckin up their water supply.

So gently caress em. They deserve everything bad in the world to happen to them and them alone. (Dave Chappelle joke).

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Ruggan posted:

Okay. Buckle up.

I grew up in a lovely part of the country where people would find that garbage funny and ya know, the people who found it funny in those communities were garbage pieces of poo poo themselves. There are plenty of people in those areas that don't do poo poo like that and don't find it ok, they got no excuse.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

theflyingorc posted:

the phrase is from greek or some poo poo, it's been in usage in english since the 1500s or thereabouts.

Calling black people spades started in the 20th century

I still avoid it though because a lot of people relate it to the slur

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Squeegy posted:

it's okay, nick cage already got it for us

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

gfsincere posted:

Lived experience >>> news.

Yes!!! Bring out the angry black man trope once again! How dare a black person fire someone for making a workplace hostile towards minorities! What an angry and put of line opinion!

I didn't even know you were black though. I literally walked into the thread and started posting. If I was unintentionally disrespectful (and it was unintentional) sorry?

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Ruggan posted:

Okay. Buckle up.

Eh. I agree in that it was environmental pressures that led them to thinking that poo poo is funny, but if the shaming isn't sustained and they don't have someone they trust they can actually talk to about it then shaming won't help none.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

People loging in tomorrow morning: "Holy gently caress 2,400 posts what the gently caress happened what the gently caress"

Answer: "Don't arzy, it was just the black people"

USER WAS PROBATED FOR THIS POST

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

AriadneThread posted:

racism is still racism even if it's condensed into a liquid and injected into a baby's arm at birth against their will or knowledge, and it's not like anyone in this thread is in a position to track down these two women and patronizingly explain why what they did is bad, is this thread is doing a great job showcasing, you can't educate the unwilling
maybe i've missed it, but i haven't really seen anyone here demonize them, either? unless you equate demonizing with calling someone racist in which case, look in the mirror friend, the demons were inside us all along

Nah, you're right about the last line. I guess I haven't seen any local demonizing, I'm just taking a stab at what's probably going to happen to them...

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Ruggan posted:

I think it's bad. They should think it's bad. I don't think it's bad enough that they should get destroyed over it. Look up Justine Sacco. She said terrible poo poo and the internet brought her life to its knees. I don't think that the punishment fits the deed, so to speak. Do you?

Maybe it's okay to be concerned with the well being of both the victims and the perpetrators? You know, fellow human beings?

Nope, this country has spent entirely too loving long being concerned with the well being of unabashed racists to the detriment of everyone else. gently caress em all.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Ruggan posted:

For reference, here's an NY Times article on her: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/15/magazine/how-one-stupid-tweet-ruined-justine-saccos-life.html

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Squeegy posted:

What are you talking abou

Oh :smith:

Wait, no poo poo? Huh.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Tom Guycot posted:

I grew up in a lovely part of the country where people would find that garbage funny and ya know, the people who found it funny in those communities were garbage pieces of poo poo themselves. There are plenty of people in those areas that don't do poo poo like that and don't find it ok, they got no excuse.

I'm not trying to find an excuse for them. It was a bad joke and is unfunny. It's sad too.

I was just pointing to the probably reason. Disagree?

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

AriadneThread posted:

jesus this is still going on?

can we at least all agree mt. rushmore is dumb as hell?

Nope! It made a really loving awesome ending to North by Northwest. But yeah they probably shouldn't have made it, or at least not there on such recently seized land (1876 i think)

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

gfsincere posted:

Nope, this country has spent entirely too loving long being concerned with the well being of unabashed racists to the detriment of everyone else. gently caress em all.

Please stop.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Squeegy posted:

Those White kids will get nasty, angry words directed at them, while Black kids continue to get shot or go to prison.
Eh, Internet brigades can get really scary and too real sometimes. They'll probably get death threats, it's not a great thing

They're still being real gross and bad, they deserve to be called out and even ridiculed

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Litany Unheard posted:

the phrase is from greek or some poo poo, it's been in usage in english since the 1500s or thereabouts.

Calling black people spades started in the 20th century

I still avoid it though because a lot of people relate it to the slur

I don't think I've ever heard this. Do people still use it that way?

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Call a spade a spade is a racist term? I thought it was just a phrase about card games. That's how I was introduced to it. In a game where spades ruled them all.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Ruggan posted:

Okay, I had to go back and actually read what you were responding to.

Intent always matters. It matters in the way people see the action, the way they respond to it, and the willingness they have to forgive. It matters as it reflects the underlying cause (in this case hate versus ignorance).

Results matter more, sure. I still disagree with you and think you should not say that again.

This kind of thing comes up in HR for big companies all the time.

If two people are having a fun time ripping at each other with racist jokes at the office - and even if those jokes are entirely acceptable to both parties and literally irrelevant to everyone else (let's say they're the only Polish people at the office and they exclusively make Polish jokes) and a third party overhears it and thinks that a 'reasonable person' would find them offensive - you absolutely pull those people into your office and tell them to stop. And that's dealing with touchy HR stuff, not actual human emotions in the real world. Real people are even less tolerant of that kind of thing because you will never, ever know the intent as a third party observer, you just get to deal with your own emotions, and if a reasonable person could find the offending behavior offensive, than the intent isn't super relevant.

Intent should matter in like, a courtroom environment. It honestly doesn't and shouldn't matter to laypeople who are hit by the shrapnel of offensive behavior.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Ruggan posted:

I'm not trying to find an excuse for them. It was a bad joke and is unfunny. It's sad too.

I was just pointing to the probably reason. Disagree?

Oh, well yeah, lovely people raised by other lovely people is part of the reason, sure.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ruggan posted:

Call a spade a spade is a racist term? I thought it was just a phrase about card games. That's how I was introduced to it. In a game where spades ruled them all.

there are so many coded euphemisms for black people that practically every american english idiom has some racist undertone

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Ruggan posted:

I think it's a reference to a gardening spade, but "spade" is also a racial slur so...yeah. I steer clear.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Ruggan posted:

Please stop.

He's not wrong. You're concerntrolling over the well-being of some idiots who don't deserve it and will in all probability suffer little to no long term detriment and in the short term only shame, if that.

This is a super racist thing and it's pedantic at best to be arguing intent, noone cares, and it's outlandish to suggest some sort of disproportionate overreaction that there's no evidence of that anywhere at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Potato Salad posted:

I can my much younger self and where I would have jumped aboard that thought train though :( I grew up on bill o'reilly :suicide:

I ttthhhhiiiinnnnkkkk that's a, "YOU CALL THAT SHITPOSTING!!! PUT YOUR BACKBONE INTO IT!!!" reaction, yes? or the self-effacing joke isn't as obvious as I thought, which is more :suicide:

Nah, I used to be a sysadmin, hence the picture reply.

Ruggan posted:

Please stop.

Nah, I'm good. You'll deal.

And I think the reason why some white people are so concerned about the blowback is because it's honestly and clearly some racist poo poo they have done or can see themselves doing and don't understand why they can't be wildly offensive as gently caress anymore and an affront on their freedoms.

• Locked thread