Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
I'm always cranky moving to new civ versions but I'm especially so with this one. Hopefully it wears off but as of now I think I actually hate this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
You just can't keep friendly. On top of all the normal reasons to hate you, now they have two traits you can piss them off with doing some arbitrary thing.

Even if you stay friendly they'll randomly backstab you in a joint war. But no matter how they feel about you they will give all the money they have for a great work.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

euphronius posted:

Has anyone been playing on marathon?

Have a multiplayer game with my brother we've been doing. Huge map, Island Plates, Marathon Speed, I'm England and he's Norway. I'm nearing a domination victory and its like 350 AD I think.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Das Butterbrot posted:

sniping enemy apostles gives a big bonus to your religion in nearby cities, while subtracting from the religion of the apostle. this makes inquisitor rushes very handy in certain situatons.

Yeah that's a close 2nd as far as their usefulness in obliterating other religions from cities in your territory. I've found their best use to be quickly converting those newly-conquered cities to your religion for pennies on the dollar, but they're also quite useful in defending against the Jesus legion.

So, that last game as Saladin (large map, Emperor) was pretty unfair. Russia's capital spawned 8 tiles away and Norway's 2nd city quickly came up 9 tiles away. Both got PO'd for no reason and declared war on me just after I got archers, which made quick work of their slingers (and eventually once I started cranking out a few more units, their cities). So my 2 cities quickly became 6 after I conquered their 3 combined cities and captured a settler.

Given that ridiculous head start, I figured that jihad would be the quickest path to victory. In Russia's former capital I started cranking out apostles that would have shaken the faith of Jesus himself. In St. Pete I had the Hagia Sophia (faith + another spread) and Potala Palace (more faith), plus I had picked up Mosques (3 faith and +1 spread for missionaries/apostles) and Holy Order (30% cheaper missionaries/apostles). AND, I had Yerevan close by, which has the suzerain bonus of choosing WHATEVER THE gently caress YOU WANT for your apostle's initial promotion. I'll take Debators (+20 Theo strength) or Translators (triple foreign Spread Religion strength) as needed, please. To put that into perspective, I had the equivalent of 12 unbuffed Spread Religions per apostle in foreign territory, rather than the base 2 unbuffed Spread Religions you'd get if the RNG didn't give you Translators. Add Saladin's ability to to buy Mosques for almost nothing and I was at 133 faith per turn by the Renaissance era and won on turn 224 in 1565AD.

e: Also, no issues with my apostles' promotions that game, and I purposely did not construct Mont St Michel.

Fryhtaning fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Oct 31, 2016

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Omg there is an extended city information toggle!!!

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Sanctum posted:

You just can't keep friendly. On top of all the normal reasons to hate you, now they have two traits you can piss them off with doing some arbitrary thing.

Even if you stay friendly they'll randomly backstab you in a joint war. But no matter how they feel about you they will give all the money they have for a great work.

I've given up keeping the AI happy. I expect to be denounced by most civs on my continent in the first ~150 turns and everyone else once I find them. You can get away with 1 expansion war if you fire it off early enough but the second one will bring the denunciations in no matter how you justify it.

DEO3
Oct 25, 2005

uPen posted:

I've given up keeping the AI happy. I expect to be denounced by most civs on my continent in the first ~150 turns and everyone else once I find them. You can get away with 1 expansion war if you fire it off early enough but the second one will bring the denunciations in no matter how you justify it.

Yup, I'm generally a peaceful civ player, but I've found the only way for me to really get any enjoyment out of civ VI at the moment is to build four archers and immediately take out my neighbor at the start of each game. I'm really surprised diplomacy is so wonky right now actually, as the lead designer of VI, Ed Beach, was responsible for V's BNW expansion. And as I recall, that was the expansion that finally made diplomacy tolerable in V.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Can anyone explain to me how luxury resources work? If I have 1 unique luxury resource, does it give +1 Amenities to all my cities? Does having duplicates not do anything like in Civ 5? As far as I can tell the bonus to Amnities from luxury resources seem to be completely random among all of my cities.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Each unique luxury gives you four amenities, which are distributed to your four neediest cities. I'm unclear on how need is defined; I guess the difference between current amenities and required ones? Extra copies of luxuries are worthless, except for trading. IIRC there are a couple of wonders/city-states that can make your luxuries better, or give your super-luxuries that give 6 amenities.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Hotseat has some bizzare bugs. I was at -5 income but 140 gold. My girlfriend had 15 income but 0 gold.
When it hit her turn she lost units because of bankrupcy because it was reading my income.

The game also regularly tells you that a unit has died when it isn't one of yours.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Finished my first game after picking this up a couple of days ago - won a Domination victory as Gilgamesh on Prince/Standard Map/Standard Speed. I normally play for science victories but when I saw how badly I'd placed my production facilities and how long it was going to take to build components, I went for the conquest option instead.

I didn't come across any egregious diplomacy things like others did, but I did have to laugh when I'd conquered all but one of Russia's cities (the last one was on a different continent), I got a pop-up saying "Your promise to remove troops from Russia's border has been fulfilled" :laugh:

Also for the guy asking a few days ago - I was playing on a Surface Pro 4 i5 and it worked fine. All minimum settings and it was a bit clunky in places, but definitely playable. There's also this tweak where you can lower the fullscreen resolution while keeping the same aspect ratio. For some reason Windows 10 doesn't natively have any alternative screen resolutions with the correct 3:2 aspect ratio for a Surface Pro.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Apparently the Scythia "Heal when killing an enemy" bonus applies to theological combat. You get a few apostles with the +20 combat and they just won't die.

How did they think this was a balanced Civ?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
My scythia games are cursed. I really don't want to have to fight through a hoplite wall as my first war, stop spawning next to me Pericles!

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

limp_cheese posted:

Apparently the Scythia "Heal when killing an enemy" bonus applies to theological combat. You get a few apostles with the +20 combat and they just won't die.

Scythia really is a case of taking the "everyone's balanced by everyone being OP" a bit too far. They really should have had Dual Horsie production OR the heal after kill, not both.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

limp_cheese posted:

I'm assuming that's unintentional. Probably, I mean. I would not be surprised if that gets patched out after being reported to them (whenever the first round of patches comes, I mean).

bmoyles
Feb 15, 2002

United Neckbeard Foundation of America
Fun Shoe
Today, as Cleopatra, I declared war on myself. Another civ declared surprise war and my animation fired just before his.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

bmoyles posted:

Today, as Cleopatra, I declared war on myself. Another civ declared surprise war and my animation fired just before his.

Yeah, that happens with joint wars when the participant who's brought in isn't someone you met yet, you get your animation instead of theirs (but still get their text line, so you can usually tell who it actually is).

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
That generally means you were declared on by an unmet civ, likely because the other civ asked them to.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Krazyface posted:

That generally means you were declared on by an unmet civ, likely because the other civ asked them to.

Still haven't fixed the bug where someone asks you to go into a joint war with them and then hates you because of the warmonger penalty you get for the war THEY asked you to go into.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Poil posted:

I have 6 cities with about 3-4 districts each and my single spy can only protect ONE freaking district in ONE city at the time? But at least I can redeploy it very often. So very very often. :negative:

They also protect all districts adjacent to the district they're stationed in, so tightly-packed district formations are good for them. Which is generally beneficial anyway.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So what's the consensus of this game. Is it better than Civilization V? IV?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

Depends on who you ask. I think it's better than Civ V on every level but for some the current bugginess of the game/exploits/AI behavior can ruin it. I don't think it's better than IV but that's because I dislike one unit per tile and think it fundamentally undermines Civ in too many ways to be beneficial to the game. So personal opinion there, largely. I don't know if it's possible to get a consensus on that because V vs. IV is still so divisive.

I think almost everyone is going to consider it better than V once most of the major exploits/bugs are fixed, though it remains to be seen if they can do anything with the AI. They did make some okay adjustments to the diplomatic AI in V (the release build was horrid, about as bad as it is in VI) so there's some hope.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

punk rebel ecks posted:

Best Civ at release, easily. Release-day Civ 4 and Civ 5 pale in comparison. Game feels about 90% feature-complete.

Lots of problems, especially with UI, interface, and presentation, that will hopefully be fixed in patches

Is missing that je ne sais quoi to really tie it all together. Maybe it's World Congress, maybe it's the BNW diplomacy, who knows, but once you get past a certain point there feels like no real point to the game anymore other than playing out the rest of your already-secured victory

Minor stuff:

Godawful quotes/flavor. Civ 5 is extremely and by far superior in that regard. It's a minor thing but it affects the game's thematic feel.

Leader animations are also very uneven. For all the "Pixar-like animatedness" they trumpeted, only Victoria, Cleopatra, and Philip really feel like they took advantage of it. Everyone else is really muted. Peter is insanely annoying. Montezuma is a big downgrade from his Civ 5 version. Tomyris is robotic.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

punk rebel ecks posted:

The game part is incredibly balanced for the most part and is pretty much a better V mechanics wise. There are some details that need to be hammered out (holy poo poo production costs get comically absurd late game and need to be tweaked, also Scythia), but the game is incredibly solid for a launch Civ.

Multiplayer is buggy and wonky and unstable, but if you played V multi you came to expect that.

UI is unforgivable poo poo though. And Sean Bean's voice cannot save some of the quotes in this game.

Oh, on the plus side the animations are hilariously good. Like, I'm gonna have a hard time convincing myself to turn off animations. The AT soldier's "use [bazooka] on [conquistador]" is gonna have me cracking up forever.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Oct 31, 2016

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Yeah, I agree with the above. The game's quite fun, and it's nice being able to make lots of new cities without crushing my existing ones, like in V. It's quite buggy and unpolished right now, and if you're not dying to play immediately you should wait for a patch or two.

I'm coming around on production. I needed a few games to adjust from V; if you build your cities a bit closer together, and don't focus TOO much on food, you can produce things in a reasonable timeframe all game long. I feel like the wonders are too expensive, but making a city spend 35 turns on a wonder isn't so bad when you've got twelve of them.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

VI is great, but yeah... It's rough right now, if you've waited this long you might as well wait until the first patch.

It's way rougher around the edges than V is. A few things to bridge the gap and it should overtake that.

IV is a bit more controversial. If you didn't like V + expansions compared to IV you probably won't like VI much more. They're different design directions.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

The civopedia is horrendous; some of the entries read like white nationalist humour. Combined with the terrible quotes it gives the game an anti-intellectual and cynical tone that's completely wrong for the franchise.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Do we know when the first patch is coming?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
No. Firaxis tends towards slow but major patches.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

The district system in VI is the best feature in any Civ ever, it's hard to go back to the old system anymore even if I wanted to.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
They're very opaque when it comes to development. An old-school approach to be sure.

Personally, I prefer a more hands on method, a la KSP. But then again, what do I know.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

Double Bill posted:

The district system in VI is the best feature in any Civ ever, it's hard to go back to the old system anymore even if I wanted to.

For me it's the government policy cards.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I'm mildly shocked they didn't steal Endless Legend's take on armies and hex combat. It has a brilliant system where when two armies meet, they 'expand' into their full size and the actual terrain nearby is used as the battlefield.

It neatly solves the massive swarms of dorks covering every hex for a mile, and still lets you have a mini hex wargame battle instead of doom stacks smooshing into each other.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Holy poo poo Tomyris is absolutely insane. Any +calv policy and her doubling ability gives shittons of money. Go into merchant republic for cheaper buying costs and you can essentially teleport units. Horse gold transmutation is bonkers

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I was very unfair on Firaxis for not saying something 1 business day after release, despite the 12000 reddit thread commenting on all thing wrong with the game demonstrating how little testing when into the game after 2 days.

Here we are a week later- have they said anything?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

victrix posted:

I'm mildly shocked they didn't steal Endless Legend's take on armies and hex combat. It has a brilliant system where when two armies meet, they 'expand' into their full size and the actual terrain nearby is used as the battlefield.

It neatly solves the massive swarms of dorks covering every hex for a mile, and still lets you have a mini hex wargame battle instead of doom stacks smooshing into each other.

"One of the things that Brian and I talked about back when he was working, was taking the battles and putting them onto a separate map and fighting them out in a minigame mode. We looked at that and it really added to the complexity, without adding much value. "

I'd argue that the current 1UPT is, like, the combination of the worst sides of both approaches. But they're probably not doing the separate screen any time soon.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

victrix posted:

I always found Endless Legend's combat to be extremely cumbersome. I can understand its appeal, but how often do you actually manually engage in EL? Most of the time you click auto-resolve, right? It's cool the first dozen times or in the very beginning of the game where micromanaging your units' orders can actually decide a battle, but after that it's like, oh god just get it over with.

And could you imagine fighting this game's barbarians, what with their spawn frequency? No thanks.

Jackhammer
Jul 10, 2008
Is there any way to view ongoing trade routes? I have 12 right now and no idea where half of them are starting from.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

I always found Endless Legend's combat to be extremely cumbersome. I can understand its appeal, but how often do you actually manually engage in EL? Most of the time you click auto-resolve, right? It's cool the first dozen times or in the very beginning of the game where micromanaging your units' orders can actually decide a battle, but after that it's like, oh god just get it over with.

And could you imagine fighting this game's barbarians, what with their spawn frequency? No thanks.

The single army-spread into map system is the part I like, EL's units are a mess of 10 different tooltip-obscured abilities in a mishmash along with a totally inappropriate rpg style equipment system that's cumbersome in a 4x, and the actual combat is a strange plan-and-execute mix.

The main thing is it solves the problem of large army movement with 1upt, and makes it correspondingly easier for the AI to move forces around (something it royally loving sucks at with 1upt clusters).

Megazver posted:

"One of the things that Brian and I talked about back when he was working, was taking the battles and putting them onto a separate map and fighting them out in a minigame mode. We looked at that and it really added to the complexity, without adding much value. "

I'd argue that the current 1UPT is, like, the combination of the worst sides of both approaches. But they're probably not doing the separate screen any time soon.

It's not a separate screen, that's why I like it so much. AoW3 has a separate tactical map and is a good fun game, but it's a different approach.

EL drops the army battle right there on the same terrain you're playing everything else on, so you can still take advantage of chokepoints/forts/cities/useful defensive terrain etc, but the transition is fast and seamless.

(I think most 4x combat in general is pretty jank, because power disparity often means the outcome of a war is already decided before it even begins, even if you ignore the frequent deficiency of AI tactical ability, but that's neither here nor there :P)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Brannock posted:

Godawful quotes/flavor. Civ 5 is extremely and by far superior in that regard. It's a minor thing but it affects the game's thematic feel.

This is true and disappointing. The tech quotes are almost all dismissive or sarcastic or just plain stupid. I'm not sure "attempted humor" was the right way to go. Some of the great wonder quotes are just as bad, like Oxford University's.

On the plus side, it can be very nice to listen to some of the great works of music when you finally manage to build a place for them to be created. I would gladly have listened to the full pieces for some of them, but they cut off too soon. :rant: