Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

pgroce posted:

I only read the last three pages of the thread, but it sounds like the racechat night crew had a much more productive conversation than the racechat day crew. Good job, everyone!

I'll be very mad if reporters don't take the Harry Reid bait on Russia and run with it like they did Comey's "literally nothing known, but EMAILZ!"

It has only just dawned on me that I am now officially a member of the Nite Crew.

The irresponsibility of the press has really been the most infuriating thing about this election. Journalistic integrity is dead. Or was it ever alive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

lozzle posted:

Calling it now: Donald Trump was born in Kenya.

I'd believe it at this point.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

meristem posted:

On the tone thing, I'm sincerely disappointed that I came to this thread after so many hours and nobody has tried to perform a sentiment analysis on their opponents' posts yet.

Shame on you, people. Where are the hilariously ill-advised misuses of technology? Are you goons or are you not?

(Sentiment analysis being used to prove that Trump's own tweets were far more angry and mad than the iPhone ones was awesome, though.)
No idea what the state of the debate ITT is, but shoutout to linguistics and/or machine learning people

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Roland Jones posted:

So you're the arbitrator on what is acceptable or isn't. Good to know. It's great that your life affords you the opportunity to be open about this stuff, but some of us aren't so lucky, to say the least. You're acting like your experiences are the only valid ones, which, despite your trying to act like you're the only reasonable and intelligent person in the room, is an extremely unreasonable thing.

Are you really trying to play the victim card to someone who has had to go through the exact same things you have and make assumptions about my "privileged" life when you know nothing about me? I'm not going to post a sob story for victim points on the internet because I have respect for myself, but i'm about to give you some real serious advice from the heart:

Don't let yourself get so bothered by getting bullied or trolled on some internet forum. You can always walk away from the keyboard. As a trans person, there are a LOT worse things that can happen to you, and I don't want to be a dick but I'm telling you that you need to grow some thicker skin.

The reality is: A lot of people are going to suck if you're trans. It's easy to fall in the trap you're in, where you think everyone who doesn't follow your gender identity vocabulary lexicon are close minded simpleton tranny bashers. I really don't think it's sticking with you that often times in "transphobic" people, this stems from IGNORANCE not HATE. By treating ignorant people the same as legitimate transphobes, you are only spreading hate and legitimizing some of the most valid criticisms transphobes have of transgender people.

literally what i am trying to say is that sometimes people use the wrong terminology for genders because they have not been exposed to trans people and given a chance to learn about it. if you are trans and hold an expectation upon people to get it right, don't do loving nothing about it but complain and expect anything to change.

And no I'm not the only reasonable person, philosophy guy's actually presenting valid points and supporting them, even if he's tunnelvisioning to avoid 90% of my argument.

quote:

No it isn't. It's what you were replying to, just with the context re-iterated since it was a direct comparison to someone doing the same sort of thing except with race rather than gender. That you're not bothering to read the thread isn't my fault.

You turned a vague hypothetical into a specific story involving personal harassment.

quote:

Okay, let me rephrase: Usually, no cis person compares a trans person to an object unless they're transphobic.

Not true. Some people do this on purpose because they know it pisses off trans and especially nb people. In those cases you are correct.
Most of the time, however, you're misinterpreting ignorance for transphobia. If you bash an ignorant person and attack them for being transphobic, you are planting a seed of actual transphobia in their mind by making it so that the few interactions these people have are negative ones. By doing this, you are making it worse for the next trans person who encounters this individual, when instead you could be a little bit more understanding and perhaps change their view on trans people to something more positive. (why do so many trans people struggle with empathy? you think we'd be good at this considering the whole "no one understands us" thing)

quote:

Especially not as part of a "see I'm not transphobic" thing. I compare myself to non-human things too, but that doesn't mean that I appreciate transphobic assholes making lovely jokes. There are jokes POC or women or other queer people may make among themselves too, but some white/straight/cis/male person coming in and saying things like that wouldn't go over well with them either.

See, the only thing relevant is the INTENT. If somebody is saying those things to be transphobic, gently caress them. If you are instantly assuming somebody is speaking out of malice because they are cis/het/white/male, i hate to break it to you but you are judging somebody for their sexual preference, race, and gender. If you don't want to be judged for your gender identity, gently caress off with doing it to other people.

quote:

Well, I don't have many real world experiences of transphobia aimed at me personally (intentionally) because I'm not out in real life, as I'd probably be disowned by my family if they knew I was trans. Possibly attacked, really. I have had to listen to plenty of rants from them too though, about how terrible/stupid/mentally-challenged trans people are and whatnot, where I had to try to play reasonable and try to argue against that while enduring them unknowingly insulting me and plenty of my friends and saying that people like me are insane or subhuman. It also sucks, it just wasn't directly relevant to the thing we were discussing; I was providing a comparison to what TB was talking about, not listing the worst bigotries I've personally seen or endured.

I had family like this too and I hid being trans and on meds for several years while living with them. My best friend was incredibly legitimately transphobic, for instance he had a trans neighbor who would come over to smoke weed. He would only refer to her in male pronouns and constantly say things like "I will always see her as a dude and I will use male pronouns to let her know she's a dude."

Guess what, he's not transphobic anymore and neither are my parents. I recognized the root behavior which caused their beliefs and learned not to take it personally. In my best friend's case, he acted very transphobic because he used to be homeless and he had a transgender person try to rape him while he was sleeping. By calling MtF's men, he was expressing his own sexual insecurity towards them. he has no sexual interest in any trans person, but i've seen first hand a lot of mtf's get pushy with him while hitting on him. If I had thrown labels at him or cut him out of my life, he would have never grown as a person. He would have continued treating trans women like poo poo. And I would have lost my best friend. Keep telling me I'm wrong.

quote:

"Why won't you tolerate my intolerance" is bullshit.

This is not what I'm asking you to do.
"Why don't you respond to intolerance in a manner proportional to the impact of the intolerance, and attempt to handle it in a constructive rather than regressive manner"

quote:

I'm calling you garbage because you're garbage; you're trying to use D&D as a way to defend bigoted things and dismissing any response that doesn't meet your standards or isn't formatted right, which also shows that you're not really interested in having an honest discussion because if you were you wouldn't dismiss things out of hand and laugh from your high horse, while simultaneously lamenting how everyone who doesn't agree with you isn't willing to engage you and are just self-righteous SJWs.

Way to paint it like I'm sperging over post format when all I've been asking is, "At least try to attempt to counter my arguments with something, anything, before making GBS threads on my opinions."

quote:

Edit: I'm not really sure why I bothered with all that, since your posts have demonstrated you're not interested in actual discussion here and that TB's approach is the way to go here. Oh well.

How can you say this when I am the only person making any attempt at on-topic dialogue?

Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

WELL I WONNER WHAT IT'S LIIIIIKE TO BE A GOOD POSTER

canepazzo posted:

Both WP/ABC polls (+1C) and Morning Consult (+3C) taken after friday's "bombshell!!!!!" show no change.

LA Times basically unchanged as well, but that hasn't been responsive to anything this election cycle.

Radish posted:

If the polls are tightening it has a lot more to do with sheepish Republicans realizing they don't care about sexual abuse, national security, or whatever and coming home to vote for the guy that says he's cut the taxes of people richer than them.

Polls already showed some tightening before "the worst scandal since Watergate" broke, but I wonder if that has something to do with a failure to properly incorporate the effects of early voting. Clinton is clearly doing well in early-voting:

https://twitter.com/PpollingNumbers/status/792737618408726528
https://twitter.com/PpollingNumbers/status/792719112417992704

And Trump doing better with people who haven't voted yet:

https://twitter.com/PpollingNumbers/status/792761107618336768

I'm not sure how the pollsters account for this given a cast vote is obviously more important than a "likely" vote, but failure to take the distinction into account may explain some of the "pre-Weinergate" tightening.

(I can't believe we've had a pussy-gate and a weiner-gate this cycle. This election has truly been something else.)

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Blurred posted:

LA Times basically unchanged as well, but that hasn't been responsive to anything this election cycle.

Polls already showed some tightening before "the worst scandal since Watergate" broke, but I wonder if that has something to do with a failure to properly incorporate the effects of early voting. Clinton is clearly doing well in early-voting:

https://twitter.com/PpollingNumbers/status/792737618408726528
https://twitter.com/PpollingNumbers/status/792719112417992704

And Trump doing better with people who haven't voted yet:

https://twitter.com/PpollingNumbers/status/792761107618336768

I'm not sure how the pollsters account for this given a cast vote is obviously more important than a "likely" vote, but failure to take the distinction into account may explain some of the "pre-Weinergate" tightening.

(I can't believe we've had a pussy-gate and a weiner-gate this cycle. This election has truly been something else.)

If those numbers hold up she would lose Florida but win North Carolina I think.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

A: "Don't say X, it dehumanizes me."
B-F: "Let us tell you why we should able to say X, Y and Z!"

Every. loving. Time.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
The LV numbers are based on enthusiasm and right now Clinton voters are less enthusiastic so less of them make it through the screen this tightening the numbers.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

And no I'm not the only reasonable person, philosophy guy's actually presenting valid points and supporting them, even if he's tunnelvisioning to avoid 90% of my argument.

It's not tunnel vision. I am choosing not to engage you. We are only arguing about the thing I responded to, not anything else you said. Your response was pathetic where it wasn't irrelevant, so I ignored it. Hope this helps.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Radish posted:

If the polls are tightening it has a lot more to do with sheepish Republicans realizing they don't care about sexual abuse, national security, or whatever and coming home to vote for the guy that says he's cut the taxes of people richer than them.

Seriously spend five minutes of social media and you'll see that no one of the right side of the spectrum had forgotten about the emails prior to last Friday. They haven't forgotten about the cattle futures.

Any Democrat that has decided not to vote is just using that as an excuse for probably not planning on actually voting.

Have you watched the news in the past few days at all? I think that might be why Hillary isn't doing well in the polls. I don't think it's an existential sudden change in the priorities of Trump voters. If I had to guess it would probably because Hillary is under investigation by the FBI and could be indicted before the election.

Also why are you framing everything as a party line us-vs-them race when that's clearly not what's happened this election cycle in either party? I'm voting against Hillary and I am a democrat. I'd say "people who read wikileaks" vs "people who read huffpo" is the line in the sand for this election, not party lines.

But I think it's interesting you mention those 3 points because those are why I'm voting trump. I'm not a fan of him, I just want my vote to count twice as hard against her.

- I care about sexual abuse, so I can not in good conscious vote to put a man who is on video groping a woman sexually in charge of economic policy & living in the whitehouse.
- I care about national security, and I think that electing a president with a track record of poor ethics and transparency who proposes to enact an act of war against Russia and Syria is a guaranteed danger to anyone. A guaranteed war with Russia is a lot worse than the chance of Trump loving up royally. I'll take a wildcard over a poo poo hand any day.
- I believe that closing tax loopholes and such is a lot more important than keeping tax rates for the rich high. Many of the ultra-wealthy pay no taxes or very little by hiding their income offshore, or avoid domestic business taxes through outsourcing. We need to get these people to start paying in the first place, not sperg out over not feeling vindicated by the rich getting punished.

other reason:
- Trump's propositions to combat government corruption, such as congressional term limits, are well worth 4 years of putting up with him. This is arguably more important than SCOTUS picks or any policy difference between the 2 candidates, if Trump can get it to pass.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/793062453919776770

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Mr Hootington posted:

The LV numbers are based on enthusiasm and right now Clinton voters are less enthusiastic so less of them make it through the screen this tightening the numbers.

I think its more that last week GOP voters weren't making it through and now they are. I doubt Dem enthusiasm has changed because of email poo poo.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Cup Runneth Over posted:

It's not tunnel vision. I am choosing not to engage you. We are only arguing about the thing I responded to, not anything else you said. Your response was pathetic where it wasn't irrelevant, so I ignored it. Hope this helps.

Literally all you have done is use your Dad's college degree to put yourself up on an empty pedestal of authority. "a person who pretends an interest in intellectual matters for reasons of status" you know that you are the living definition of a pseudo-intellectual right? I hope you're at least self aware. I am calling you out on intentionally ignoring my arguments because you know that you are unable to refute them. You can't just say, "I'm ignoring your arguments because they're dumb" when you have been called out multiple times for being incapable of doing such. If they really are "pathetic" and "irrelevant" it should be easy for you to prove this. For somebody who claims to know anything about philosophy, you sure like to make a lot of empty claims.

You are such a wank.

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Oct 31, 2016

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Hey guys, it's going to be ok:
https://twitter.com/RalstonReports/status/793062525147328512

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Did the trump campaign ever invest significantly in get out the vote efforts?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

Have you watched the news in the past few days at all? I think that might be why Hillary isn't doing well in the polls. I don't think it's an existential sudden change in the priorities of Trump voters. If I had to guess it would probably because Hillary is under investigation by the FBI and could be indicted before the election.

Also why are you framing everything as a party line us-vs-them race when that's clearly not what's happened this election cycle in either party? I'm voting against Hillary and I am a democrat. I'd say "people who read wikileaks" vs "people who read huffpo" is the line in the sand for this election, not party lines.

But I think it's interesting you mention those 3 points because those are why I'm voting trump. I'm not a fan of him, I just want my vote to count twice as hard against her.

- I care about sexual abuse, so I can not in good conscious vote to put a man who is on video groping a woman sexually in charge of economic policy & living in the whitehouse.
- I care about national security, and I think that electing a president with a track record of poor ethics and transparency who proposes to enact an act of war against Russia and Syria is a guaranteed danger to anyone. A guaranteed war with Russia is a lot worse than the chance of Trump loving up royally. I'll take a wildcard over a poo poo hand any day.
- I believe that closing tax loopholes and such is a lot more important than keeping tax rates for the rich high. Many of the ultra-wealthy pay no taxes or very little by hiding their income offshore, or avoid domestic business taxes through outsourcing. We need to get these people to start paying in the first place, not sperg out over not feeling vindicated by the rich getting punished.

other reason:
- Trump's propositions to combat government corruption, such as congressional term limits, are well worth 4 years of putting up with him. This is arguably more important than SCOTUS picks or any policy difference between the 2 candidates, if Trump can get it to pass.

Be honest, which caller from CSPAN did you transcribe this from?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

As far as we know not much because the entire campaign was a giant scam from the beginning that barreled out of anyone's (including Trump's) control.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Koalas March posted:

A: "Don't say X, it dehumanizes me."
B-F: "Let us tell you why we should able to say X, Y and Z!"

Every. loving. Time.

Your poor reading comprehension is triggering me, please stop

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Their get out the vote guy quit

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

The only thing they heavily invested in was MAGA hats.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

In yesterday's Vegas rally, Trump campaign had buses ready to pick people up and drive them to vote after the rally.

They ended up driving 15 to the voting stations.

People, not buses.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

hahaha, no

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Northjayhawk posted:

I think its more that last week GOP voters weren't making it through and now they are. I doubt Dem enthusiasm has changed because of email poo poo.

It is in both.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

canepazzo posted:

In yesterday's Vegas rally, Trump campaign had buses ready to pick people up and drive them to vote after the rally.

People, not buses.

Oh God please tell me you're not joking, that's great.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

other reason:

ur dum hth

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

canepazzo posted:

People, not buses.

Please, Hammer, Don't Hurt 'Em

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

BigglesSWE posted:

Oh God please tell me you're not joking, that's great.

https://twitter.com/meganmesserly/status/792821151298793472

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
source your quotes, troll

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

canepazzo posted:

People, not buses.

I'm not getting too hopeful but there's the possibility of this being a hilarious blowout just because Trump's infrastructure is so comically inept and that can't show up in polling. Either way this will be a good lesson on how effective actually running a campaign is and if all you need is to rile up angry white people.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

other reason:

Term limits are a terrible idea, Trump will never close any tax loophole because he uses them frequently, MAD makes it so flat-out war is impossible and Russia is a basic bitch country who likes to constantly pretend that they're going to do something, and god are your posts bad

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Their get out the vote guy quit

canepazzo posted:

People, not buses.

I love both these stories. How utterly awful Trump's campaign is is hilarious; the sheer incompetence of everything is amazing.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

I'm voting trump

- I care about sexual abuse

Cognitive dissonance in action

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Wait is this the guy that snips posts from right wing echo chambers and posts them here, and then posts our responses in their forums?

Is he/are they perpetuating that gimmick?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Roland Jones posted:

I love both these stories. How utterly awful Trump's campaign is is hilarious; the sheer incompetence of everything is amazing.

The way he's running his campaign should be enough to shake up any moderate Republican that claims to care about the quality of work and claims that the GOP are better at running economies and institutions but they actually don't really care about that.

skylined! posted:

Wait is this the guy that snips posts from right wing echo chambers and posts them here, and then posts our responses in their forums?

Is he/are they perpetuating that gimmick?

Nah that's a different guy. He's at least good at thinking up thread titles.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Roland Jones posted:

The amazing thing is that it's even approaching close. This is why I suspect Sam Wang's argument about massive polarization is correct.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

skylined! posted:

Is he perpetuating that gimmick?

Only if they are secretly Amergin.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Radish posted:

The way he's running his campaign should be enough to shake up any moderate Republican that claims to care about the quality of work and their claims that the GOP are better at running economies and institutions but they actually don't really care about that.

The history of the United States should be enough to do that so yeah duh.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Radish posted:

Be honest, which caller from CSPAN did you transcribe this from?

As far as we know not much because the entire campaign was a giant scam from the beginning that barreled out of anyone's (including Trump's) control.

All you people can do is circle jerk over "look how wrong this guy is" You are so afraid to argue that you defend a rapist who is actually on video groping a woman https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1loRkVW0fys while smearing the other guy for baseless allegations involving gloria allred of all people (is this the first time you guys have heard of her?)

All you have is petty, schoolyard level personal politics and hatred on your side. Meanwhile you remain oblivious to the fact that Hillary's campaign is falling apart in real time as Hillary loses every single independent voter in the country overnight.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

But I think it's interesting you mention those 3 points because those are why I'm voting clinton. I'm not a fan of her, I just want my vote to count twice as hard against him.

- I care about sexual abuse, so I can not in good conscious vote to put a man who is on video talking about groping a woman sexually in charge of economic policy & living in the whitehouse.
- I care about national security, and I think that electing a president with a track record of poor ethics and transparency who proposes to enact an act of war against Russia and Syria is a guaranteed danger to anyone. A guaranteed war with Russia is a lot worse than the chance of Clinton loving up royally.

:agreed: tbh

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Cup Runneth Over posted:

The history of the United States should be enough to do that so yeah duh.

I mean yeah but Trump has made it so comically obvious that you can't even pretend that someone involved knows what they are doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

other reason:

Term limits are (1) never going to pass, what the gently caress are you smoking guy (2) less important than the transgressions on human rights and workers rights we need to handle right the gently caress now for the good of our populace with a SCOTUS pick (3) way less important than a SCOTUS pick who will start letting us enforce proper application of tax and environmental regulation on interstate and international business

The only candidate who has talked about actual literal acts of war this cycle was Donald Trump, and he did so live before 85+ million Americans and somehow still you believe Clinton is the warmonger.

You want to close tax loopholes and enforce fair burden of tax on the rich and businesses? Welcome to the Democratic party, we've been trying to squeeze in a SCOTUS justice whose jurisprudence includes what I believe is an elementary capacity to not bend the gently caress over to moneyed interests like Alito, Thomas, and the rest of the recent right [leaning] brainwashed hack justices. We have a chance to dramatically change how rule of law with respect to human equality, rights, and fairness are enforced for 5% of Earth's population, please kindly get the gently caress on board.

• Locked thread