Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Detheros posted:

Does the Netherlands Independance like to break or something? After the peace deal it turns out they were allies with Austria, England, and The Ottomans, which would have been a hell of a war.

Weirdly, the "support the Netherlands" event doesn't work like a normal support for independence treaty in this version. My last Ottoman game I supported them thinking it would be a good chance for me to rumble with Spain, take southern Italy and all that. Cue them getting crushed by the Iberian Union and lingering on as a Frisian rump state for a hundred years. You get an alliance with them, but they won't call you to arms when they declare on Spain/Austria/whoever. Almost certainly bugged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

skasion posted:

Weirdly, the "support the Netherlands" event doesn't work like a normal support for independence treaty in this version. My last Ottoman game I supported them thinking it would be a good chance for me to rumble with Spain, take southern Italy and all that. Cue them getting crushed by the Iberian Union and lingering on as a Frisian rump state for a hundred years. You get an alliance with them, but they won't call you to arms when they declare on Spain/Austria/whoever. Almost certainly bugged.

It's been bugged like that for awhile now.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Too Poetic posted:

It's been bugged like that for awhile now.

I went to their rescue anyway and earned my most loyal and trustworthy anti-France ally :3:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Detheros posted:

Does the Netherlands Independance like to break or something? After the peace deal it turns out they were allies with Austria, England, and The Ottomans, which would have been a hell of a war.

French Wales. Are they compansating for Brittany?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
that's Cornwall, man, Wales is the peninsula above it.

QuarkJets posted:

No one's saying that Quantity is a bad idea

Tsyni posted:

All the talk about quantity as a first idea makes me cringe a bit.

I'm definitely not trying to argue that defensive is a bad pick either, it suits Ethiopia particularly well for lots of aforementioned reasons. I think it means you cede the initiative a lot though, and so have to fight grindy defensive wars (which is fine for "winning" against the Ottomans, but not for beating them- you'll never equal them in manpower as Ethiopia without quantity) rather than being able to take the initiative and go on sieges of your own through their heartland.

Morale is absolutely decisive in the early game, but by the time you'll be taking the fight to the Ottomans around the late 16th/ early 17th centuries, artillery's gotten its teeth with techs 13 and 16, so there are other significant factors at play for how the battles go. I had a pretty decisive morale disadvantage against the Ottomans but I still won the battles, since I could always have local superiority and replenish my morale with new stacks and at this point in the game, morale isn't doing the killing anymore.

I think a lot depends on your situation though. If the Ottomans had attacked me in the early 16th century I'd have been cursing myself for taking quantity, I admit, since it takes a long time to be able to reap the benefits of that, whereas you get the extra morale from defensive very quickly. But I was pretty certain I wasn't in imminent danger from them, and by the time war was actually looming, I could afford to field what quantity gave me.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Avoiding the janissary decadence crisis is really easy now, since you can reroll your heir and get a choice of three new ones. All you need is one with at least a 5 in any category. It will tank your prestige, but at least prestige has a good use now.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

RabidWeasel posted:

French Wales. Are they compansating for Brittany?

You tell me, also shout to the Livonian Border Gore and Mega Hungary.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

What's a good way to get the Janissaries to fire for the Ottomans anyways? I always seem to be unable to get enough army tradition.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Get more army tradition? You only need 50 for it to fire, and if you're warring a lot early on it's easy to get while Mehmed II is still alive. Take defensive and/or quality ideas for the +1 AT/year and make sure you have enough forts for an additional +1 (1 fort for every 50 development).

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Detheros posted:

[timg] Mega Hungary.

Seriously. Mega Hungary seems to happen all the time, and the Ottomans never advance upwards from the Balkans. Need to give them some missions for that.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Koramei posted:

I know that, try reading the map :v:

PittTheElder posted:

Seriously. Mega Hungary seems to happen all the time, and the Ottomans never advance upwards from the Balkans. Need to give them some missions for that.

Even the AI knows that taking wrong culture + religion provinces with increased coring cost is dumb.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Oct 30, 2016

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

Fister Roboto posted:

No kidding. I just raqe-quit on my post-patch Ottoman game. I was the number one great power. I couldn't even declare rivals, I was so far ahead of everyone else. Literally every country on the planet would accede to my demands if I wanted. But then I got into a war with loving France, and they proceeded to push my poo poo in with their 7.5 morale to my 5.

How do you really deal with this late game? Same story as the commonwealth and fighting france/Brandenburg. Even being a revolutionary superpower with off, def, ari, qua + military policies and aspects i look like a backwater bitch when fighting their armies. Makes me hate nations without good military ideas

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

RabidWeasel posted:

Even the AI knows that taking wrong culture + religion provinces with increased coring cost is dumb.

They removed the coring cost thing from Hungarian ideas, and the Ottomans can easily deal with off-religion provinces. Really it just irks me that the Ottomans are so strong these days, but also seem really passive.

I'd really like to be able to see the AIs thought process as it were.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
So did we ever reach a consensus for the first Ethiopia idea set? It's my first time playing this nation and I don't want to be strangled in the crib.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Exploration first, almost certainly. After that it's up to you but economic/religious/influence/expansion are all decent picks.

PittTheElder posted:

They removed the coring cost thing from Hungarian ideas, and the Ottomans can easily deal with off-religion provinces. Really it just irks me that the Ottomans are so strong these days, but also seem really passive.

I'd really like to be able to see the AIs thought process as it were.

drat, they've not been passive at all in my experience. Maybe not bashing up against the Europeans as much as they ought to though.

Honestly I think that'd do something to fix them, if they were permanently keen on wars that'd maybe be not so sensible, so they'd be a bit exhausted from expanding in every other direction at the same time. I do like how strong the Ottomans are now though.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I think the Annex Daimyo CB is broken. I thought it was supposed to allow full annexation regardless of total war score cost, but it doesn't, and every province counts as an unjustified demand.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Koramei posted:

I think a lot depends on your situation though. If the Ottomans had attacked me in the early 16th century I'd have been cursing myself for taking quantity, I admit, since it takes a long time to be able to reap the benefits of that, whereas you get the extra morale from defensive very quickly. But I was pretty certain I wasn't in imminent danger from them, and by the time war was actually looming, I could afford to field what quantity gave me.

Oh whoa you got lucky with the Ottomans leaving you alone, in my game the Mamluks attacked me in 1480, it was a long and bloody affair but I punched through to the Mediterranean coast and grabbed Venice's islands of Crete, Rhodes, and Cyprus. Ottomans attacked me in the early 1500s and I sure was glad I took Defensive ideas because they outnumbered me like 2.5 : 1.

If I'd have had Quantity I'd probably have still pulled it off but it would have been a lot more painful. I don't think anyone's arguing Quantity is a bad choice, it all just depends on your situation. When are you going to mix it up with the Ottomans, what military ideas the Ottomans take, etc.

e: like by 1600 I'd fought three wars against the Ottomans, one regular defensive and two coalition wars against me.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 30, 2016

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
The only reason I brought it up was for new players reading the thread. It seems like a large portion of new player consternation is about why their armies are getting wiped. There are lots of factors, but numbers don't always equal victory. As Prussia you can take some euro stacks outnumbered 2:1.

Obviously quantity worked great for Koramei, because he got the achievement in the early 1600s.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Koramei posted:

Exploration first, almost certainly. After that it's up to you but economic/religious/influence/expansion are all decent picks.

drat, they've not been passive at all in my experience. Maybe not bashing up against the Europeans as much as they ought to though.

Honestly I think that'd do something to fix them, if they were permanently keen on wars that'd maybe be not so sensible, so they'd be a bit exhausted from expanding in every other direction at the same time. I do like how strong the Ottomans are now though.

Where do I go with exploration? Looks like I can take a few more pieces of land adjacent to the Central African wasteland but that's it. Unless there's something I'm not considering.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Dali Parton posted:

Where do I go with exploration? Looks like I can take a few more pieces of land adjacent to the Central African wasteland but that's it. Unless there's something I'm not considering.

You get a coast by conquering the Somali nations, then island hop to South Africa and southeast Asia. The Americas can be kinda useful for getting an extra merchant or two by making colonial nations if you've got the time - that's part of what makes the extra colonist from Expansion nice.

vvv Yeah, this is another reason to head to America now. vvv

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Oct 30, 2016

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Jazerus posted:

You get a coast by conquering the Somali nations, then island hop to South Africa and southeast Asia.

Or head to The New World by 1500 to get a chance at the colonialism institution firing in your country.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

By the way, if you make a North American colonial nation as Ethiopia you're contractually obligated to name it the United States of Amharia.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Tsyni posted:

The only reason I brought it up was for new players reading the thread. It seems like a large portion of new player consternation is about why their armies are getting wiped. There are lots of factors, but numbers don't always equal victory. As Prussia you can take some euro stacks outnumbered 2:1.

Oh yeah you're right about that for sure. Quantity often seems to be what newbies pick (I did too) since on the surface it looks so good, but it can be a bit of a trap.

Pellisworth posted:

Oh whoa you got lucky with the Ottomans leaving you alone, in my game the Mamluks attacked me in 1480, it was a long and bloody affair but I punched through to the Mediterranean coast and grabbed Venice's islands of Crete, Rhodes, and Cyprus. Ottomans attacked me in the early 1500s and I sure was glad I took Defensive ideas because they outnumbered me like 2.5 : 1.

If I'd have had Quantity I'd probably have still pulled it off but it would have been a lot more painful. I don't think anyone's arguing Quantity is a bad choice, it all just depends on your situation. When are you going to mix it up with the Ottomans, what military ideas the Ottomans take, etc.

e: like by 1600 I'd fought three wars against the Ottomans, one regular defensive and two coalition wars against me.

Not gonna deny I got lucky as hell, but you can also slow them down a lot. Counterespionage works wonders, for instance- I'm pretty sure that without a chunk of claims, the AI is much less likely to attack, and it takes so much longer for them to get those claims that way. Steering clear of provinces they want helps too- I put a buffer state between me and them so they'd deflect a bit of the anger, with only Antioch as a border exclave. And I expect you taking the Mediterranean islands probably put you in their cross hairs more than you'd have been without them too. Plus keeping up good relations, keeping down AE. They didn't even go hostile with me until towards the end of the campaign.

e: honestly kind of puzzled about what I did for the Mamluks, I don't remember it now. I think I waited for the Ottomans to attack them, but somehow I managed to grab Antioch 15 years after that, so the Ottomans must have just not taken anything? :confused: I doubt I was nearly as strong as the Mamluks, the first war happened for me in 1475. I took a string of provinces up to Alexandria in that.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Koramei posted:

Oh yeah you're right about that for sure. Quantity often seems to be what newbies pick (I did too) since on the surface it looks so good, but it can be a bit of a trap.

Not gonna deny I got lucky as hell, but you can also slow them down a lot. Counterespionage works wonders, for instance- I'm pretty sure that without a chunk of claims, the AI is much less likely to attack, and it takes so much longer for them to get those claims that way. Steering clear of provinces they want helps too- I put a buffer state between me and them so they'd deflect a bit of the anger, with only Antioch as a border exclave. And I expect you taking the Mediterranean islands probably put you in their cross hairs more than you'd have been without them too. Plus keeping up good relations, keeping down AE. They didn't even go hostile with me until towards the end of the campaign.

e: honestly kind of puzzled about what I did for the Mamluks, I don't remember it now. I think I waited for the Ottomans to attack them, but somehow I managed to grab Antioch 15 years after that, so the Ottomans must have just not taken anything? :confused: I doubt I was nearly as strong as the Mamluks, the first war happened for me in 1475. I took a string of provinces up to Alexandria in that.

You can generally beat the Mamluks pretty handily using the military bonus you get from the event where Portugal sends you military advisors, which fires around that time.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
oh right yeah, that was it.

Ethiopia gets some insane events, incidentally.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Dali Parton posted:

Build three light ships and recruit an Explorer, send him to explore the Indian Ocean. Leapfrog colonize the islands down to South Africa. You want to colonize all of the provinces in the Cape of Good Hope trade node to block off the Europeans. You'll want to send your Explorer to scout the coast of South America when you have range

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Koramei posted:

I'm definitely not trying to argue that defensive is a bad pick either, it suits Ethiopia particularly well for lots of aforementioned reasons. I think it means you cede the initiative a lot though, and so have to fight grindy defensive wars (which is fine for "winning" against the Ottomans, but not for beating them- you'll never equal them in manpower as Ethiopia without quantity) rather than being able to take the initiative and go on sieges of your own through their heartland.

Morale is absolutely decisive in the early game, but by the time you'll be taking the fight to the Ottomans around the late 16th/ early 17th centuries, artillery's gotten its teeth with techs 13 and 16, so there are other significant factors at play for how the battles go. I had a pretty decisive morale disadvantage against the Ottomans but I still won the battles, since I could always have local superiority and replenish my morale with new stacks and at this point in the game, morale isn't doing the killing anymore.

Again, I'll point out that the only way to make Defensive a grindy pick is if you're leaning heavily on the fort bonus and the attrition bonus, but those aren't really the reasons that you take Defensive. The Morale bonuses and the better Generals allow you to crush larger armies. By the time that you're tech 13-16 you should have plenty of force limit to run a full combat-width army, plus reinforcements, without having the benefit of Quantity. When you're Ethiopia, this is the purpose of eating everything to your south.

Morale is definitely still doing the killing in your game, you're just topping off the morale bar with more men instead of having a larger morale bar

Dali Parton posted:

So did we ever reach a consensus for the first Ethiopia idea set? It's my first time playing this nation and I don't want to be strangled in the crib.

Dali Parton posted:

I went Exploration, Innovative, Defensive, in that order. Exploration is key, then you need one of the good Admin ideas, then you need one of the good Military ideas. So long as you're not taking Naval you should be fine

With exploration, first you loop around to South Africa to prevent the Europeans from taking it, then you connect South Africa to Southeast Africa for the pretty borders (meanwhile you should be eating Kilwa), then you take some of the smaller islands near Madagascar (some of which have good development but this further blocks the europeans), then you colonize the east indies and redirect trade back to Zanzibar. You should be able to dominate the Zanzibar node militarily, so you either move your trade port to Zanzibar or have a Merchant collect there, since it's where a lot of other trade routes wind up

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

With exploration, first you loop around to South Africa to prevent the Europeans from taking it, then you connect South Africa to Southeast Africa for the pretty borders (meanwhile you should be eating Kilwa), then you take some of the smaller islands near Madagascar (some of which have good development but this further blocks the europeans), then you colonize the east indies and redirect trade back to Zanzibar. You should be able to dominate the Zanzibar node militarily, so you either move your trade port to Zanzibar or have a Merchant collect there, since it's where a lot of other trade routes wind up

I'd collect in Cape rather than Zanzibar, they're functionally identical and sending it one node farther increases its value.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Cape gets trade sucked away from Europeans in Ivory Coast, unless you manage to lock that down too. In an ideal world it's obviously better to collect there, but Zanzibar is pretty trivial to lock down 100%.

QuarkJets posted:

Again, I'll point out that the only way to make Defensive a grindy pick is if you're leaning heavily on the fort bonus and the attrition bonus, but those aren't really the reasons that you take Defensive. The Morale bonuses and the better Generals allow you to crush larger armies. By the time that you're tech 13-16 you should have plenty of force limit to run a full combat-width army, plus reinforcements, without having the benefit of Quantity. When you're Ethiopia, this is the purpose of eating everything to your south.

Morale is definitely still doing the killing in your game, you're just topping off the morale bar with more men instead of having a larger morale bar

If you're not leaning on your forts in that situation you might as well be taking quality or offensive (what I went with as idea 4) instead; 15% morale is strong but you're massively overstating things here, it's not worth picking the entire idea group for that alone. If morale were doing the killing I'd have found myself with massively lopsided casualties in the battles in the Ottomans' favor, which I wasn't. By the late 16th century, morale, while still very much relevant and not something to neglect, begins to take a backseat. For that matter you could be going with the quantity+religious policy for 10% more morale for nearly the same thing.

Defensive is stellar as Ethiopia for playing on the defensive- you can afford a combat width worth of troops if you funnel the Ottomans on the corridor down in the Levant no problem. It's much much harder to afford that once you're pushing into several different forts on Anatolia simultaneously and can be flanked from every direction.

Anyway, this is a hell of a lot of arguing over a fairly inconsequential choice. I don't wanna dissuade people from picking defensive on an Ethiopia run, it's definitely a strong pick, and quantity's just fine too. I got the achievement with it and I could do it again the same way, just like plenty of people have gotten the achievement while picking defensive.

unrelatedly:

Atlas mountains. Wondering where else too at this rate, if it's the new normal for big mountain ranges. You could shape a lot of expansion in the game with well placed mountains. I'm not a topographical expert but it looks like some in eastern India may have been important? And I know mountains played a huge part in Korea's survival.

also:

courthoses reduce state maintenance instead of unrest. I actually made use of them (and for the autonomy reduction too) a fair bit but this seems like a good change. I'm guessing the next tier up does 50%.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
AI is juking me like crazy. Is there a "follow that army!" command?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Dali Parton posted:

No. I made a couple posts earlier in the thread moaning about the low level of army automation and how I think it could be improved, but at present, while navies can be ordered to besiege regions, defend specific zones, or hunt down enemy fleets, armies can't be ordered to do any of these things. You can set them to automatically hunt down rebels at least.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Dali Parton posted:

I never realised how badly I needed this until now :stare:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Koramei posted:

courthoses reduce state maintenance instead of unrest. I actually made use of them (and for the autonomy reduction too) a fair bit but this seems like a good change. I'm guessing the next tier up does 50%.
That's a really awesome change! :)

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Jazerus posted:

I'd collect in Cape rather than Zanzibar, they're functionally identical and sending it one node farther increases its value.

They aren't functionally identical unless you control Ivory Coast too. If you control Cape, and collect in Zanzibar, you don't have European nations pulling trade further up the stream.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Senor Dog posted:

They aren't functionally identical unless you control Ivory Coast too. If you control Cape, and collect in Zanzibar, you don't have European nations pulling trade further up the stream.

The reason you want to control Cape is to collect trade in Zanzibar. Ivory Coast is a terrible node to collect in since you have to deal with downstream trading bonuses from England, France, Spain, Portugal, and others pulling your money away.

Ideally you want to collect in Zanzibar while owning all of the Cape provinces, that lets you suck up all the SE Asian trade without any of it being steered toward European powers.

Don't invest in Ivory Coast as Ethiopia. Incredibly not worth it, get the Cape then SE Asia.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

My King just married his heart's desire, a lowly commoner. Let's see what he sees in her, she must really be something spec- :stare:

Well I guess age is just a number

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Oct 31, 2016

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Wafflecopper posted:

My King just married his heart's desire, a lowly commoner. Let's see what he sees in her, she must really be something spec- :stare:

Well I guess age is just a number

We won't have reached proper CK2 parity until she's also his aunt and a horse :colbert:

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

NihilCredo posted:

We won't have reached proper CK2 parity until she's also his aunt and a horse :colbert:

I have never felt the need to 'like' a post on SA before now.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Koramei posted:

I don't agree, 50%+ force limit is a hell of a lot to make up and if you're spending your money on buildings for that (those are expensive buildings, too), you're not spending it on other things that could give you more of a lead in the end. I don't think quantity is a good universal pick like I once did, but Ethiopia's in a position to take extremely good advantage of it- some of the worst land in the game, but access to oodles of trade income. Army size affects a hell of a lot of things in this game beyond the wars themselves, it makes it a lot easier to snag alliances with the European powers to help you beat up on the Ottomans, for instance, and also to dissuade them from attacking you until you're ready. Defensive also forces you to grind things out a lot more, whereas with quantity you can potentially have the numbers to take the initiative.
Does having a higher forcelimit without actually building those forces make a difference? In hundreds and hundreds of hours of EU4 I NEVER find myself at maximum force limit as larger countries. Never ever ever ever ever. Yet you post about it often. I know you play the game at a high level (which I generally do not) but I just dont get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Pellisworth posted:

The reason you want to control Cape is to collect trade in Zanzibar. Ivory Coast is a terrible node to collect in since you have to deal with downstream trading bonuses from England, France, Spain, Portugal, and others pulling your money away.

Ideally you want to collect in Zanzibar while owning all of the Cape provinces, that lets you suck up all the SE Asian trade without any of it being steered toward European powers.

Don't invest in Ivory Coast as Ethiopia. Incredibly not worth it, get the Cape then SE Asia.

That's... what I was saying.

• Locked thread