Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Does having a higher forcelimit without actually building those forces make a difference? In hundreds and hundreds of hours of EU4 I NEVER find myself at maximum force limit as larger countries. Never ever ever ever ever. Yet you post about it often. I know you play the game at a high level (which I generally do not) but I just dont get it.

The only time I ever felt the need to build +force limit was the end of my Congo run where I owned 90% of africa and had more money then God and I wanted a bit more force limit to help push the Ottomans out of Egypt under a wave of mercs.

Even with twice their development the Ottomans with quality ideas still had a higher force limit then me.

Vorpal Cat fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Oct 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Does having a higher forcelimit without actually building those forces make a difference? In hundreds and hundreds of hours of EU4 I NEVER find myself at maximum force limit as larger countries. Never ever ever ever ever. Yet you post about it often. I know you play the game at a high level (which I generally do not) but I just dont get it.

I'm normally at or near my forcelimit unless I'm totally dominating the region. It's like a bonus to your manpower cap as well as discouraging invasions

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Well no, if you don't actually make the forces I guess it's a waste of an idea slot. In this situation as Ethiopia you easily have enough trade income to fill it out though and you desperately need to match the Ottomans in size.

I dunno about "high level", but I tend to play trade games so I usually find myself with lots of money but having to keep hold of several different parts of the world at once. Unless I'm a nation with a force limit increase in its ideas I'll nearly always build to force limit by the midgame, yeah.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I got most of all of South Africa taken over as Mutapa. Now I just have to work westward in central Africa and push out Kongo. I have yet to push out most of my neighbors because they're all allied. They're all two mil-tech levels behind, if not more, but its become such a pain to chase down a zillion 15k stacks that beeline to my forts and I have my two 25k stacks and balkhajkhfbbaarrrrfffff

unrelatedly I wish I could do more with my growing 5k gold reserves. I know someone said to use gold to feed rivals of my rivals, but I don't trust the AI to use gold in any logical way.

buglord fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 31, 2016

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Once you start building manufactories that money will go away quickly (and then come back again with interest because you'll be earning even more money)

But seriously, having money is never bad. Sit on your smaug hoard because you never know when you need to seriously merc up.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Dali Parton posted:

unrelatedly I wish I could do more with my growing 5k gold reserves. I know someone said to use gold to feed rivals of my rivals, but I don't trust the AI to use gold in any logical way.

Is your entire army mercenaries?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

More Ethopia advice? It's 1561 and I've been running on fumes for near 20 years. I just missed the timing to start the coalition war that was brewing before the Ottos could join. I got a draw but now most of my Sunni neighbours were on the same truce timeout and still hated my guts. I don't think there is much I could have done to avoid it since I needed to kill the Mameluks before the Portugal event expired. I won two coalition wars in a row however I had used Kaffa to boost the Renaissance and it collapsed on me. Furthermore an unlucky monarch death and a revolt in an inaccessible place fired internal conflict on me. I survived without any big loss of land but I only barely run a surplus if I de-fund the army, everything else is eaten by interest. I have a strong Mutapa that I try to integrate however if I take any losses it crosses over 50% ld. Will take at least 20 years.
Luckily the Ottos failed their conquer the Levant mission and have not bothered me since.

I forgot to plop a conquistador into the new world so I don't know of any good money pinatas there. Pasai has a lot of money and had just lost a war so I thought I could take them easily. I was wrong. The current state of affairs is me sieging a fort in the jungle with a bigger army with a better general bearing down on me. No way of escape nor of sending reinforcements. Should have looked at the ledger again.

Overall I notice that I never knew how to play Africa well. A lot of lovely provinces stretched out over a whole continent. And the revolts are massive in the good ones.
Some more specific questions:
What do you do with the Nubians? I kept one vassal around to soak up war exhaustion since it seemed like a waste to take their territory. However the main result of that seems to be that I get surprised by uprisings that totally flatten their armies and then still demand my attention.
What to do about the capital? Early there is the decision to move it but that only seems to give autonomy reduction in provinces that don't need it. Is there more to it? Where to put it later? I moved it to Cairo since I wasn't sure if the distance between borders modifier took capital placement into account (It doesn't). So I'm paying a premium for state maintenance for no reason.
But really the main question I have is how to deal with the distance between the Cape and the Egyptian front before the trade income goes really online. I don't have the money to build forts everywhere and I don't have the armies to beat rebellions while fighting the Mameluks or Ottomans. How and when do you take the Mupata goldmines?
Also is there some cheesy way I haven't thought about to win one sort of close battle I can't avoid? I can't scrounge up enough mil points to get the next tech level and a discipline adviser isn't enough to change the outcome.

genericnick fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Oct 31, 2016

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I conquered the Nubians to the point I could get a border with the Mamluks (and to seal the Mamluks off from conquering the territory themselves), and left Medri Bahri alive as an ally until I could diplo vassalize them a century later. I agree with you in that I don't think it's really worth it to take the land.

I moved my capital with the event. Keep in mind 1. developing is dramatically cheaper on your capital, and 2. it's cheap to move your capital to a province that has higher dev than it. Basically what I did was developed renaissance in the starting capital, which got me an insane like 40 dev province, bigger than any other in my empire- developing it more than that for printing press would be horrendously expensive, but moving the capital would be expensive too. So the event lets you hop for free and develop again in a much cheaper province. Unfortunately the province it moves you to is absolute rear end (mountains and arid), but it's just a base 200 admin to move it to a better province since that one is such low dev, which will still save you a ton in the long run. I picked one of the provinces in western Madagascar to develop for printing press, which was a bit of a mistake (it takes forever to spread up the East African coast from there), but you could use the same principle to move it to a more sensible place.
Basically look beyond the initial benefits of moving your capital, because there are some other advantages too.

Don't worry about making forts everywhere. In the stability and expansion tab it tells you exactly how big the rebellions are gonna be, and you can usually work out where they're gonna spawn (usually highest unrest highest dev province)- with that knowledge, it's pretty simple to squash the rebellions. After they're squashed, you get a big period with a "recent uprising" modifier where there won't be any more rebellions there for a while, so time your expansions around that. I expanded into the Mamluks, squished their rebellion, expanded down to Mutapa, squished theirs, then back up, etc etc. It should give you enough time. Eventually you can afford to have stacks in both places at once (especially with quantity :q:) and it stops being an issue. Also don't neglect transports, they make movement a lot easier, I nearly always have at least one group that can fit a whole stack at once.

As for how and when, as I recall it was just a matter of colonizing next to Kilwa down by the cape, and fabricating from there, somewhere in the late 15th century. I didn't have the colonial range to colonize right on the western side of south africa right at the start so it lined up pretty well.

Mercenaries. If it's a close battle, I often take out a few loans and have them building constantly as the battle progresses, feeding into it throughout. It can make the difference. Also in the early game, the 10% morale advisor is significantly better than the discipline one, pick him instead. Also in the early game I nearly always go mil focus so I won't run into the issue of falling behind on those techs.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Oct 31, 2016

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

MrBling posted:

Once you start building manufactories that money will go away quickly (and then come back again with interest because you'll be earning even more money)

But seriously, having money is never bad. Sit on your smaug hoard because you never know when you need to seriously merc up.

On the other hand, money is probably a little too easy to come by in the game right now. By 1700 every European minor is sitting on thousands of ducats. I pulled 9500 gold out of Lubeck when I annexed them.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
You need a LOT of cash to adopt institutions as a larger nation so you might as well hang on to a few thousand for that if nothing else.

Manufactories (spawns 1650) cost me about 5k to adopt as 1900 development Ethiopia iirc

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

The thing about embracing institutions is that you just wait a bit and that cost will come way down. Unless you need to buy techs right this second, you might as well just wait for them to spread.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
new fort rules, actually really different this time:

they're now tied to areas, rather than a zone around each fort. If an area has forts, you have to siege them down before moving on to the next area.

Capital forts count for this too now.

Also all maintenance has been halved.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

PittTheElder posted:

The thing about embracing institutions is that you just wait a bit and that cost will come way down. Unless you need to buy techs right this second, you might as well just wait for them to spread.

Depends who and where you are. They certainly don't spread quickly through sub-saharan africa, in my experience; the provinces are so poor that, after they hit whatever high-development provinces you've set up for institutions, they'll take many decades to go any further.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Koramei posted:

oh thank god

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Koramei posted:

they're now tied to areas, rather than a zone around each fort. If an area has forts, you have to siege them down before moving on to the next area.

Seriously, thank god for these changes, and also thank you for posting them.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I really don't think Sweden warrants that kind of sperg detailed provinces. :colbert:

So... today I noticed that the ledger has pie charts for things like religion, culture and production in your provinces. When was that added? Surely I haven't missed that for the 1249 hours I've been playing this game?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Those have been there forever. I want to say since the start.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Since EU3. Maybe even earlier, I never played EU2.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Poil posted:

I really don't think Sweden warrants that kind of sperg detailed provinces. :colbert:

So... today I noticed that the ledger has pie charts for things like religion, culture and production in your provinces. When was that added? Surely I haven't missed that for the 1249 hours I've been playing this game?

I'm always happy for new provinces, as it allows ever harder border sperging, which is surely the truest calling in this game. Sweden actually didn't get much more development (+8), while Denmark-Norway got quite a bit (+22/+13).

And yeah, those charts have been in since EU3. Bizarrely enough in the Economic section or something.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Koramei posted:

This is amazing. Wow.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

PittTheElder posted:

I'm always happy for new provinces, as it allows ever harder border sperging, which is surely the truest calling in this game. Sweden actually didn't get much more development (+8), while Denmark-Norway got quite a bit (+22/+13).

Speaking of, I can't be assed to fish out the screenshot now but Albania's been split in two, with half going to Venice.

I dunno how I feel about lots of extra provinces for Norway. Scandinavians would obviously know the history better than me but I was under the impression it was relatively unpopulated throughout the whole period, much like today. The changes to the forts in 1.18 + the new wasteland is a better way of ensuring they survive more I think.

In general I like new provinces though. Changes to the map are always fun. I'll be slightly pissed if East Asia and particularly China doesn't get a dramatic overhaul when we eventually get the expansion for the region though.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Koramei posted:

I dunno how I feel about lots of extra provinces for Norway. Scandinavians would obviously know the history better than me but I was under the impression it was relatively unpopulated throughout the whole period, much like today. The changes to the forts in 1.18 + the new wasteland is a better way of ensuring they survive more I think.

Maddison has it around 300k ~ 500k people in the 1500-1700 time period. That doesn't make it all that much smaller than any other Nordic countries, though, they're all pretty small. Sweden was larger, but it'd still disappear without a trace in, say, France.

Not that population is all that strongly correlated with state power in this period.

But if we're going to start subdividing regions of subartic wasteland into smaller and smaller pieces, I feel compelled to demand two or three more provinces in Scotland. :scotland:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Autonomous Monster posted:

Not that population is all that strongly correlated with state power in this period.

Seriously. As I recall most of the reason that Denmark was a serious power at all was the Sound Tolls, and the fact that the monarch controlled them directly, meaning he was free to spend all that dosh on foreign adventurism, rather than appeasing nobles at home.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Now that I have the DLC that permits development, could I hypothetically be a world power by upgrading all my provinces by using the adm and dip I save by not burning the countryside?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

Seriously. As I recall most of the reason that Denmark was a serious power at all was the Sound Tolls, and the fact that the monarch controlled them directly, meaning he was free to spend all that dosh on foreign adventurism, rather than appeasing nobles at home.

iirc Denmark-Norway had the third-largest navy and fifth-largest army in Europe going into the Napoleonic Wars, so they weren't slouches by any means. They just picked the wrong side https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Copenhagen_(1807)

Denmark was also a highly centralized absolute monarchy in the later part of the EU4 timeframe

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Those fort changes holy gently caress I am glad I just stocked up on DLC even though I was thinking I'm not gonna get much time for EU for the next few weeks.

Sale is still on BTW!

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Koramei posted:

Good advice.

Yeah. More boats is probably the key point for me. Also less reliance on Kaffa and earlier integration of Muputa.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-development-diary-1st-of-november-2016.979421/&sdpDevPosts=1

new dev diary

there's a lot of new stuff but some standouts imo:

quote:

Combat has been changed a bit as well in this patch, as we removed the combat width penalties from terrain, as it made battles last way too long, and was a double defensive bonus combined with diceroll penalties.

it made it a lot easier to match larger nations in army size too. really not sure how I feel about this, but I guess we'll see how it plays out.

quote:

Exploration Finisher now allows you to fabricate claim on another continent that is in your capital in a colonial region. (Colonial Subjects can do it everywhere in a colonial region.)

Expansion Finisher now allows you to fabricate claims inside any trade company region that is on another continent than your capital. (Without Wealth of Nations, it is any overseas port not in a colonial region, and not in europe.)

no more super-CBs for those lines. I'd noticed the expansion one didn't seem to be working anymore, even when I was like 3 institutions ahead. But the exploration one was still working fine for me. That's gonna be a pretty enormous nerf to colonizers.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Dali Parton posted:

Now that I have the DLC that permits development, could I hypothetically be a world power by upgrading all my provinces by using the adm and dip I save by not burning the countryside?

Yes. With about 20-30 provinces, it's quite straightforward to make the big powers list by just spamming development, which is what I did as Prussia (owning only the lands of Prussia circa 1786). Helps to be a Euro so you can snag Institutions easily.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Ill do that for my next run. Its 1780something on my current Africa run. As much as I love to see half the continent my color, defending it is a nightmare.I think ill go tall next game.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

quote:

Corruption is now not entirely 100% bad, as a country with 100 corruption will now get -20 unrest in their realm.
You may have 100% autonomy in your entire kingdom and an atrocious penalty to all monarch point spending but people sure are content about it. :v:

quote:

For those of you that have Rights of Man, we are now adding even more things. In 1.19, Trade Goods will have a local impact. A Grain Province gives +0.5 Land Force Limit, Iron gives 20% Faster Building Construction & Ivory gives 20% cheaper state maintenance.
This is really cool and I'm looking forward to it.

Also, whoever wrote the text for Obsessive Perfectionist and that it leads to rulers who "try to avoid ugly map borders" deserves a raise. Or at least a jar of moose droppings to keep at their desk. :allears:

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb
so I've played over 1k hours of eu4 but never done an ottoman game seriously, and wow, it is fun with lots of cool flavour events, missions, and decisions

with development, what's a good strategy? should I just dump it into my native culture provinces, or use it to get accepted cultures up?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

quote:

Combat has been changed a bit as well in this patch, as we removed the combat width penalties from terrain, as it made battles last way too long, and was a double defensive bonus combined with diceroll penalties.

:eyepop:

That alone is going to cut down on a lot of lovely micromanagement.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Goddamn I thought Guns, Drums and Steel would be cool Renaissance marching music but it's lovely metal

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Do we have a release window for 1.19?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Fuligin posted:

Do we have a release window for 1.19?

Also curious about this as the new fort system sounds amazing.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
late november

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

quote:

Courthouse & Town Halls no longer affect unrest but instead reduce state maintainance by 25% and 50% respectively

Well, they were pretty crap now, but that seems flat-out useless as it'll take forever to recoup their costs.

quote:

while their building costs have been halved.

Oh, nevermind, they could be good then.

quote:

quote:

If I build 2 Town Halls in a State, do the maintenance is reduced to 0% (-50*2%), or to 25 % (-50%*2) ?
its reduced for the province its in.

Oh, nevermind, they seem flat-out useless again.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Landsknecht posted:

so I've played over 1k hours of eu4 but never done an ottoman game seriously, and wow, it is fun with lots of cool flavour events, missions, and decisions

with development, what's a good strategy? should I just dump it into my native culture provinces, or use it to get accepted cultures up?

Even as the Ottomans you're not going to have enough slots for accepted cultures for all the peoples you should be conquering.

Don't bother with development unless you're at the MP cap. If there's a new institution available that you haven't embraced yet, dump all your excess points into Constantinople. If the institution is already present in Constantinople but you can't embrace it yet, put your points in one of the neighboring provinces (Edirne or Hudavendigar, usually). If you're not behind on instititutions, dump development into your cheapest provinces until you have over 1000 total. After that, it probably doesn't matter because lol you have over 1000 development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I didn't see it anywhere but if they're planning to double the number of forts I really hope they reduce siege times.

• Locked thread