Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

mfcrocker posted:

The Head Judge always has discretion to ignore policy, but they should be really careful about doing so. Policy is there to provide consistency.

Sorry, I left out a sentence fragment there.

What I meant was that for a Game Rule Violation, the policy (in the IPG) explicitly calls out "hey you can back this up if (in the head judge's opinion) it's substantially better than leaving this as-is". Missed trigger doesn't say this, but perhaps it should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Jabor posted:

Sorry, I left out a sentence fragment there.

What I meant was that for a Game Rule Violation, the policy (in the IPG) explicitly calls out "hey you can back this up if (in the head judge's opinion) it's substantially better than leaving this as-is". Missed trigger doesn't say this, but perhaps it should.

Perhaps? The discretionary "ignore the IPG" bit is probably enough.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
To add to that chalice call: In that same exact game, only minutes after player A ran a needle into his own chalice, he then ran a warping wail into his own chalice on 2 as well (his opponent had proliferated to bump the chalice up). Somehow, neither player noticed this again until a turn had passed at which point his opponent became animatedly upset, was pretty funny to watch the judge waddle over and be like 'lmao, he keeps it again dude what is wrong with you?'.

In fairness player A sacced the token he got from the warping wail immediately after the judge call to no benefit, effectively negating it, but it was still really funny to watch.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I still don't understand the logic of letting player A keep the pithing needle after he missed his own chalice, especially with no real progression in board state. It seems to imply that player B has a responsibility to keep up with the chalice triggers and that player A can attempt to play into his own chalice and hope B doesn't notice. It's always been my understanding that you aren't allowed to miss you own triggers that would have a negative effect on yourself.

That's like saying it's ok for a burn player to not announce Eidolon triggers when they cast spells and keep the life if it isn't noticed in time.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I still don't understand the logic of letting player A keep the pithing needle after he missed his own chalice, especially with no real progression in board state. It seems to imply that player B has a responsibility to keep up with the chalice triggers and that player A can attempt to play into his own chalice and hope B doesn't notice. It's always been my understanding that you aren't allowed to miss you own triggers that would have a negative effect on yourself.

That's like saying it's ok for a burn player to not announce Eidolon triggers when they cast spells and keep the life if it isn't noticed in time.

I agree, it seems extremely strange.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Yeah it's a situation that 99% of the judges I know would be comfortable with the rewind, but hey this is the dude that (seemingly) also said a guy couldnt tutor for a sorcery because a judge said he could at table.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Skyl3lazer posted:

Yeah it's a situation that 99% of the judges I know would be comfortable with the rewind, but hey this is the dude that (seemingly) also said a guy couldnt tutor for a sorcery because a judge said he could at table.

Are you talking about the Rich Shay thing? Because that's not what happened at all.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

suicidesteve posted:

Are you talking about the Rich Shay thing? Because that's not what happened at all.

Who the hell knows since the only commentary we have on it is Randy "Vintage All-Star" Buehler's.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Intentionally playing into your own chalice is cheating in a way that playing into an opponent's is not.

The guy just brain farted though, he wanted to play needle and chalice that turn, then decided to play chalice first to play around daze.

The next turn with the warping wail seems an honest mistake too. How often does your chalice on 1 get proliferated? Both players were probably still tilting from the lengthy judge ruling. He was a good sport about it, sac'ing the token.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

what happened here

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

what happened here

The judge gave his opponent a potential line of play. Rich called a judge on the other judge which apparently you can do? Rich's opponent decided not to use the information he was given and that was that.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

what happened here

The judge thought the player mentioning that he can search for an instant or interrupt was asking for the oracle text and the judge provided it, the player admitted that he didn't know it could find a sorcery because WHO THE gently caress WANTS TO READ THEIR CARDS WHEN THEY SPEND/BORROW $10k on a deck?

Opponent complained it was outside information (which it was, albeit accidental) so head judge said "it functions as you thought it did" so he couldn't search tinker to blightsteel, which was what the opponent thought he was going to do, but tinker couldn't do that anyways since blightsteel was in the bad player's hand.

The bad player also threw the game away prior to casting this and lost, because it turns out magic is hard when you don't know what the gently caress your deck does.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
If nothing else, wouldn't there be GRVs or something handed out for playing into your own Chalice? Allowing a player to benefit from their own misplays seems like it sets a precedent that's dangerously encouraging to "mistakes".

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

The guy that played into his chalice did get a GRV, and a second when he did it again.

The controversy was just over allowing the needle to stay in play instead of rewinding.

It also ended up being completely irrelevant to that game.

The judge was also saying they are trying to address all missed triggers in the same manner, giving the opponent the option of putting them on the stack as soon as they are noticed. They are trying to get away from distinguishing from beneficial and negative because with cards like Bob it's unclear.

Chalice just happens to be an edge case where this resolution does nothing. I get the judges reasoning, but there still has to be a better way. Newer cards are templated to avoid things like that, I'd be curious about doing some errata to fix it.

eSporks fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 31, 2016

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Playing into your chalice isn't a GRV, it's a warning for upgraded Missed Trigger (and as stated previously, probably a little chat away from the table).

The outside assistance judge thing was handled perfectly; the head judge will have had a word with the floor judge away from the table about being more careful but realistically it sounds like they just misunderstood the question they were being asked.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

The players were good sports in both rulings too. The judge advice guy admitted he wouldn't have seen the line without the judge saying anything and just decided to get an instant an instead. He even scooped to rich after turns since it was clear rich would win, and the main reason they went to time was his inexperienced sloppy play.
No one should ever be forced to concede in that situation but it's still very respectful to do so.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK
Anyone have a great Lands list? There is starting to be a proxy Legacy scene on the casual MTG night at my FLGS, and I was thinking that for the cost of a printer cartridge and a pack of sleeves, I should get involved. Lands seems like it's unlike anything I've ever played before.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Death of Rats posted:

Anyone have a great Lands list? There is starting to be a proxy Legacy scene on the casual MTG night at my FLGS, and I was thinking that for the cost of a printer cartridge and a pack of sleeves, I should get involved. Lands seems like it's unlike anything I've ever played before.

Current List:

Spells:

2x Punishing Fire
4x Exploration
4x Crop Rotation
4x Life from the Loam
4x Gamble
4x Mox Diamond
1x Manabond
2x Molten Vortex

Lands:

4x Thespian's Stage
4x Wasteland
4x Rishadan Port
3x Grove of the Burnwillows
3x Taiga
3x Dark Depths
3x Maze of Ith
2x Tranquil Thicket
2x Wooded Foothills
1x Windswept Heath
1x The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
1x Riftstone Portal
1x Bojuka Bog
1x Glacial Ghasm
1x Boseiju, Who Shelters All
1x Forest

Sideboard:
2x Trinisphere
2x Chalice of the Void
2x Boil
1x Karakas
2x Tieless Tracker
3x Krosan Grip
1x Back to Nature
2x Kozilek's Return

Flex Spots:
Bog vs Karakas vs Boseiju main is a meta call, I tend to find Karakas is the worst uncuttable card in the 75, and Boseiju is amazing vs Miracles game 1.
Sideboard is fairly flexible - I play the B2N instead of the 4th grip, and Boil over Choke because of the Boseiju. There's so much enchantment hate out of some decks your grips can get overloaded (Miracles, looking at you). You can also play a Crucible of Worlds and a Ghost quarter somewhere int he 75 if you're feeling spicy.
Some people are playing a Barbarian Ring against Prelate, I think it's dumb because postboard they're going to have RiP anyway, so I went with Kozi's return SB and a fire/vortex split main.

I guess ask if you have any other questions, the deck isn't in an amazing place in the meta right now, but it's still fun as heck to play. It rewards really knowing the timings and interactions of your cards as well.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Skyl3lazer posted:

Current List:

Spells:

2x Punishing Fire
4x Exploration
4x Crop Rotation
4x Life from the Loam
4x Gamble
4x Mox Diamond
1x Manabond
2x Molten Vortex

Lands:

4x Thespian's Stage
4x Wasteland
4x Rishadan Port
3x Grove of the Burnwillows
3x Taiga
3x Dark Depths
3x Maze of Ith
2x Tranquil Thicket
2x Wooded Foothills
1x Windswept Heath
1x The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
1x Riftstone Portal
1x Bojuka Bog
1x Glacial Ghasm
1x Boseiju, Who Shelters All
1x Forest

Sideboard:
2x Trinisphere
2x Chalice of the Void
2x Boil
1x Karakas
2x Tieless Tracker
3x Krosan Grip
1x Back to Nature
2x Kozilek's Return

Flex Spots:
Bog vs Karakas vs Boseiju main is a meta call, I tend to find Karakas is the worst uncuttable card in the 75, and Boseiju is amazing vs Miracles game 1.
Sideboard is fairly flexible - I play the B2N instead of the 4th grip, and Boil over Choke because of the Boseiju. There's so much enchantment hate out of some decks your grips can get overloaded (Miracles, looking at you). You can also play a Crucible of Worlds and a Ghost quarter somewhere int he 75 if you're feeling spicy.
Some people are playing a Barbarian Ring against Prelate, I think it's dumb because postboard they're going to have RiP anyway, so I went with Kozi's return SB and a fire/vortex split main.

I guess ask if you have any other questions, the deck isn't in an amazing place in the meta right now, but it's still fun as heck to play. It rewards really knowing the timings and interactions of your cards as well.

Why return over clasm? Is it being an instant worth the extra mana?

The March Hare fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Nov 3, 2016

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

The March Hare posted:

Why return over clasm? Is it being an instant worth the extra mana?

Instant + Devoid so it gets past Mom

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Devoid is huge around here because everyone is playing mom.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
Ah yeah, mom makes sense.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

finally, pauper can return to its rightful place as the best eternal format:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-online/pauper-banned-list-change-2016-11-03

hail satan

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

finally, pauper can return to its rightful place as the best eternal format:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-online/pauper-banned-list-change-2016-11-03

hail satan

Yeah. Drake was boring to both play and play against. Plus it was just so resilient. Can finally get back to playing 4-5 color control!

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Rest in Piss, Drake.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Taking Titan Breach to Modern FNM tomorrow but I'm one card short in the SB. Should I run a singleton Fulminator Mage or get cute with a singleton Sowing Salt (no Crumble to Dust sadly)?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Nov 4, 2016

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

sowing salt seems way better in the deck that wants to cast six drops ahead of schedule

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

sowing salt seems way better in the deck that wants to cast six drops ahead of schedule

OTOH you can go T1 Dork into T2 Fulminator and cut Tron on T2, meaning you can keep them off T3 Tron even on the draw.

Also a lot of the midrangier decks just eat poo poo to T2 LD.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Voyager I posted:

OTOH you can go T1 Dork into T2 Fulminator and cut Tron on T2, meaning you can keep them off T3 Tron even on the draw.

Also a lot of the midrangier decks just eat poo poo to T2 LD.

No dorks in my list unfortunately, but I have a lot of T2 ramp so a T3 Sowing Salt is fairly do-able. I haven't seen Tron in a while either, but there are other Valakut decks and a few flavors of midrange. Plus a couple decks with Inkmoth Nexus, which I hate.

I have a pair of SB Fulminators in my Junk list but I'm not sure how good they'll be with Noble Hierarch as my only dork (currently running Birds of Paradise as a stand-in)

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

I sure hope people will stop complaining about affinity after gpdfw. it's my only modern deck aside from Burn. :ohdear:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

people are never going to stop complaining, just play whatever you want

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

TheTofuShop posted:

I sure hope people will stop complaining about affinity after gpdfw. it's my only modern deck aside from Burn. :ohdear:

People will never stop complaining about good decks.

Just point them towards shatterstorm and stony silence.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
http://wpn.wizards.com/en/article/eternal-masters-reprint

They're doing another small print run of eternal masters for the holidays.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

Sigma-X posted:

People will never stop complaining about good decks.

Just point them towards shatterstorm and stony silence.

Spicy "new" sideboard tech vs. Affinity (Tron and Suicide Zoo as well; anything that has lots of tap artifacts or too many fetches) -- Root Maze. To be fair, it's only great because I only play mono-green stompy (best tier-2 deck in Modern?), and run no tap artifacts in the board. But it's beautiful watching someone play a fetch, and realize they can't fetch that turn. And that when they do, shocks are just guildgates now. Brutal, but since your opponent is playing Tron/SuiZoo/Affinity, I think it's more than fair.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Death of Rats posted:

mono-green stompy (best tier-2 deck in Modern?)

It's surprisingly good for ~$100. Had a guy run it at FNM a while back but only showed up with 59/60, so he bought a Boon Satyr out of the bulk bin and it ended up doing work.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

C-Euro posted:

It's surprisingly good for ~$100. Had a guy run it at FNM a while back but only showed up with 59/60, so he bought a Boon Satyr out of the bulk bin and it ended up doing work.

how do you think it compares to Elves these days as far as viability goes? I don't play much modern at all right now, but might have to get back into it because I just moved somewhere that doesn't have a legacy scene at all. I've got Infect built, too, but I'd rather play elves.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Tim Raines IRL posted:

how do you think it compares to Elves these days as far as viability goes? I don't play much modern at all right now, but might have to get back into it because I just moved somewhere that doesn't have a legacy scene at all. I've got Infect built, too, but I'd rather play elves.

I think modern elves has a lot more interesting lines of play than mono green aggro, plus it would be more competitive. You can definitely spike a tourney with mono green though, a lot of people don't know how to play against it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I honestly haven't seen Elves first-hand so I can't say for certain :shrug: If I had to compare it to something I would say it plays like Infect or Bogles where it wants a quick kill, but it can survive a little longer than those two if it isn't swinging for the fences on turn 3. It's solidly tier 2 but yeah it can surprise people- I played it against Junk and my opponent went turn 3 Lili->discard, and I dropped a Wilt-Leaf Liege into play and killed the Lili on my next turn. He didn't even notice the Liege until I was swinging with it :lol:

I de-sleeved with the intent to take it apart but honestly it's so cheap I might just put it back together to have in my back pocket. You can flex it around a little bit too- Treetop Village vs. Dungrove Elder, Collected Company vs. maindeck Thrun/Wilt-Leaf etc. This is the list I was running- https://deckbox.org/sets/741804

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
After going 4-0, 4-0 , and 3-1 in my last few FNMs with the same list I have an opinion about Modern Junk:

Grim Flayer is good as a 2/2 and the 4/4 mode should be seen as a bonus, don't put bad cycling artifacts in your deck just to try and turn it on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

ThePeavstenator posted:

After going 4-0, 4-0 , and 3-1 in my last few FNMs with the same list I have an opinion about Modern Junk:

Grim Flayer is good as a 2/2 and the 4/4 mode should be seen as a bonus, don't put bad cycling artifacts in your deck just to try and turn it on.

Abzan is good in the world of Infect and Affinity but I'm seeing nothing but Bant Eldrazi and Tron. Makes it very rough to try to play any GB deck.