Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scott808
Jul 11, 2001
An article/review about the Misen Kickstarter knife - https://www.wired.com/2016/10/review-misen-chefs-knife/

quote:

Burke’s findings were damning. He used a Rockwell hardness tester to verify Misen’s hardness claims.

“The performance of this knife is very lacking,” Burke says. “Just on par with an old Chicago Cutlery piece. Hardness tested at 51.5 [Rockwell] at the heel, 51 mid point, then going up to 56 near the tip.”

Chicago Cutlery slight aside, the results were so surprising, the hardness so much lower than the 58-59 that Misen claims, that Burke recalibrated his machine and re-tested using a different method, but it produced the same results. He even ran the machine one more time on an industry-standardized block of steel, which came out exactly where it should have.

Burke realized that the varying hardness numbers—not a good thing—were likely the result of improper heat treatment and cooling, meaning the thicker parts of the blade would be softer. (See my photo.) This means that while you could put a decent edge on it, like you could do with any knife, it would dull quickly and have the very undesirable trait of becoming worse with every sharpening, as you worked into the thicker, softer center of the knife.

Once Burke started testing how it cut, he texted me a picture of the blister that was forming on his finger where it came in contact with the spine of the knife. He also found edge angle discrepancies with Misen’s claims, which explained why I was having chef’s knife-style results instead of something more like a santoku. He also performed a blade-cutting test that involved a scale to learn how much pressure was necessary to repeatedly cut through a hemp rope. He compared it with a pair of Japanese knives that retail for $129 to $189, and those needed only 10 to 22 pounds of pressure over the course of repeated cuts. The Misen needed between 19 and 32 pounds. The Chicago Cutlery knife, which Burke bought for $12 at Walmart, needed almost the same pressure as the Misen—between 21 and 32 pounds.

We reached out to Misen, and the company says it was surprised to learn of our results from the hardness tests. Misen says it aims for a hardness of 58-59 for its knives, and that when the batches of steel were tested for hardness during production, each batch fell within this range. As for our findings about the edge angle, the company says its edges are hand-sharpened, so some variance is to be expected. The company says that over time it will tighten the tolerance ranges for hand-grinding, and that in time, consumers will see less variance from the 15-degree goal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Haha, I remember thinking something like that would come to light eventually when I saw that kickstarter.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Kenji shills for them, right?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Kenji shills for them, right?

Kenji got a pre-production sample.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

deimos posted:

Kenji got a pre-production sample.

I wonder if it had anything in common with the actual production models. Like, they made a good knife, and then had to figure out how to mass produce it, and make a profit at the price they had already sold them for.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

I was really tempted to get one at his recommendation, but I'm glad that I didn't now. Too bad, I really liked the blue handle.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I wonder if it had anything in common with the actual production models. Like, they made a good knife, and then had to figure out how to mass produce it, and make a profit at the price they had already sold them for.

Could be a factory switch-a-roo. Give the customer cherry picked pre-production samples and cheap out on the production run to make more money.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I backed the Misen Kickstarter since I was looking for a full-tang knife to replace my Victorinox (I still like it, but the balance is just off) as a workhorse knife and the $65 price point wasn't bad. I got it this past weekend and have used it exclusively the past couple days. It's not bad. The balance is nice, it feels sturdy unlike my very sharp and very hard Korin gyuto (that I wouldn't use to bash cloves of garlic to peel, unlike the Misen). My only complaint thus far is that it didn't come terribly sharp. I honed it the best I could and it's moderately sharp but I'm going to be getting it sharpened soon, after which I'll be able to make a more informed judgment.

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

https://www.facebook.com/thefoodlabrecipes/posts/10154609809937910 posted:

A quick note regarding the review in Wired of the Misen knife now that it's out in public: It's troubling that Rockwell hardness numbers don't match what was promised, but rating a knife on Rockwell #s is like rating a PC on clock rate. It's far less important than design/balance/usability etc. For instance, my favorite knife is a vintage carbon steel Sabatier w/ a Rockwell hardness around 52 (that's very low by modern standards, most modern knives are at least 55 and some very hard ones are up in the 61-62 range), but I like it because it's really easy to resharpen, and perfectly balanced.

I haven't tried production model @misenkitchen knife yet, but if it's as well-balanced and comfortable in the hand and has the same shape as the beta, then the Rockwell #s are largely irrelevant to me.

As I noted in my initial review (http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/09/best-cheap-chefs-knives-misen-equipment-review.html):

"The main advantage of AUS-8, aside from its stainless qualities, is that it's extremely easy to sharpen and hone into a razor edge.

The downside is that, as a softer steel, it's going to wear out slightly faster than a knife made of a harder alloy. In other words, your knife will require care and attention—this is not a knife you want to throw in the dishwasher or into a drawer without a cover—and at the very least you'll want to hone it with each use and have it sharpened professionally as its sharpness wears off a couple times a year."

Home cooks have a hard enough time sharpening knives as-is. Using harder steel is not going to help that. This is a knife for home cooks, not professionals, as indicated by both my initial review and the price point.

Again, from my initial review:

"The Misen knife is not yet in full production so bear in mind: this was written with a prototype unit. But so long as they maintain the same quality, it's a no brainer for a first knife or an upgrade knife for anyone's kitchen."

I stand by that statement, even with the inconsistent rockwell #s, and of course, remember that this was a single knife that was tested. Who knows where consistency is on the others.

As for shape, as I noted, the knife is a hybrid design with a gently angle. It's not quite a santoku with its near-flat blade or a shallow French-style curve, not quite a German with its heavy curve. Somewhere in the middle, which I find useful and versatile. If your go-to knife is a Wusthof, it's gonna take some getting used to.

The author's recommendations of a Mac or a Tojiro-DP are great, if you like those styles (I find the angled bolster on the Misen to be more comfortable than the straight bolster on a Tojiro). I wouldn't recommend a Forschner Fibrox, which while cheap, are incredible imbalanced blades that may feel sharp, but will instill poor knife skills in you making it difficult to upgrade to a proper knife down the line. His recommendation of a Wusthof is also sound, though you have to really be used to using a thick, curved, heavy German knife. It's not exactly comparable to any of the others that were recommended, or the Misen for that matter.

I'm actually now really interested to get ALL of my knives tested for Rockwell hardness to see if there's any correlation at all between the ones I use most frequently and a higher rockwell rating. I suspect that there isn't.

quote:

Ladies and gentlemen, I am going to call it: This is the holy grail of inexpensive chef's knives. Incredible quality and design, high-end materials, perfect balance, and a razor-sharp edge.

Is Misen actually using AUS-8 as claimed (shipping it to China from Japan), or are they using a locally produced "close enough" equivalent? It seems more likely they'd be using a Chinese made steel.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

From what I've read (about AUS-8 not anything about this case in particular) it could be real AUS-8 but lovely heat treatment. Chinese manufacturing skimping or loving up process because it wasn't specified properly is not unheard of.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

deimos posted:

From what I've read (about AUS-8 not anything about this case in particular) it could be real AUS-8 but lovely heat treatment. Chinese manufacturing skimping or loving up process because it wasn't specified properly is not unheard of.

AUS-8 can be hardened to ~58 HRC without becoming overly brittle so yeah, the problem would be bad tempering. Though they are right that blade shape is more important than the hardness of the steel. However how hard the steel is does determine edge sharpness because the harder the steel the higher the angle you can grind it at before losing edge stability and durability, the thickness of the blade behind the edge is important too because the overall thickness of the blade also has a strong influence on how sharp the blade will feel. At only 50-52 HRC I tend to think that the blade would need to use a wide angle to maintain edge durability for any length of time so over time as the harder steel near the edge wears away from sharpening the knife will start feeling duller and duller. Also the fact that the blade requires nearly the same force to cut as the cheap knife does not exactly bode well.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

He's sort of full of poo poo about hard knives being hard to sharpen as well. It has way more to do with the geometry and the abrasion resistance imo. My easiest knife to sharpen is my 66hrc blue #1 konosuke gyuto, which is nice and thin behind the edge. My previous Wusthof chef knife on the other hand was a pain in the rear end.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Thoht posted:

He's sort of full of poo poo about hard knives being hard to sharpen as well. It has way more to do with the geometry and the abrasion resistance imo. My easiest knife to sharpen is my 66hrc blue #1 konosuke gyuto, which is nice and thin behind the edge. My previous Wusthof chef knife on the other hand was a pain in the rear end.

Yeah, pretty much, all the surface area on thicker knives makes them a pain. Hell, even my R2 knife is fairly easy to sharpen because the edge is so thin.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Thoht posted:

I think as far as generalizations go it's a fairly forgivable one, yes there are exceptions but for the average home cook, and average knives, sharpening is magic and softer is easier. You have to keep in mind that knives we discuss in this thread are, generally speaking, outliers for a home cook.

e: To be clear, I am playing devil's advocate and holding off on calling out Kenji as a shill until he posts a production unit review.

deimos fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Nov 1, 2016

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

The Land of the Robots will rise again
What does everyone use for cutting boards? I have some crappy plastic ones now, but want to get some nice wood ones. Price isn't much of an issue, as I want some good, sanitary (as much as possible), and nice boards. I take good care of my stuff.

My Japanese steel deserves something better than its current setup

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Landrobot posted:

What does everyone use for cutting boards? I have some crappy plastic ones now, but want to get some nice wood ones. Price isn't much of an issue, as I want some good, sanitary (as much as possible), and nice boards. I take good care of my stuff.

I use plastic, which is fine, it needs regular replacement since it can't be maintained the way a wood board can but it's very gentile on knives and as long as you clean it after each use it is plenty sanitary. As far as what to look for in wood ones: Get a reasonably soft wood, walnut, maple, that sort of thing, avoid teak since it can have grains of sand embedded it it which can damage a knife and is extremely hard so you will need to sharpen more often. Look for end grain boards, they are more expensive but gentler on knives and don't scar as much as edge grain boards, they are also less prone to warping, cracking, etc. Size wise get as large of a board as possible and get a thick one, the thicker it is the longer it will last and the more resistant to will be to warping. Here is a good example board.

For maintenance just use food grade mineral oil, it's way cheaper than other options and works just as well.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

I use CdC's recommendation of the San Jamar boards with the hooks, they are pretty great and the hook comes in very handy to hang them to dry.

I agree with having the largest that comfortably fits on your counters but also have at least one that is the largest that can fit after removing everything from your counter. I have a generic cheap one I use rarely but has come in extra handy to have that much surface.

deimos fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Nov 2, 2016

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Landrobot posted:

I have a nice (but not particularly large) end grain cutting board I made myself but I also use regular plastic ones mainly for meat.

The wood is my favourite, but everything works ok honestly. I do think the wood feels "faster" as the knife doesn't stick into it. It's also pretty much a once in a lifetime buy since you can always sand it down if it's too scuffed up for your taste.

On the sanitary side of things all are pretty much equivalent AFAIK. Some people claim wood is better because it naturally absorbs/kill the bacteria and some people say plastic is better since you can clean it with harsher products and let it soak if you want.

If you get a wooden board just buy some mineral oil at the drug store (it's used as a laxative so it's safe for you) and apply some to your board whenever it needs it.

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Nov 3, 2016

roymorrison
Jul 26, 2005
Can I get a meat cleaver recommendation, chopping up some carne

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
I hope you guys are ready to ditch your fancy, expensive japanese knives, because the best knife on the planet is here!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/45956812/knasa-chef-knife-inspired-by-nasa-patented-technol

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
The first knife making innovation in 200 years? How the gently caress can you claim that with a straight face?

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

rockcity posted:

The first knife making innovation in 200 years? How the gently caress can you claim that with a straight face?

They put 'food taste' on a radar chart....

Hauki
May 11, 2010

They also used Cutco as a point of comparisons and misspelled Henckels.
Also food safety being dependent on what knife you use.

Hauki fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Nov 16, 2016

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

Hauki posted:

They also used Cutco as a point of comparisons and misspelled Henckels.
Also food safety being dependent on what knife you use.

So, I trust you will be buying 3 or 4?

Finally a knife I can safely use on my food.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

And I love how their knife doesn't even do that well on most of those categories. "Cutco is like a 3/10 for safety. We're way better, like 4/10." Why the hell didn't they normalize it to their product?

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
They couldn't honestly give themselves a 10/10 on food safety when it's still possible to cut your food with a laser beam or something in a vacuum of space.

And I guess a 10/10 for taste would be cutting food with like... a knife carved out of a block of salt or something??

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001
Someone just did this Caltech space age alloy knife a couple years ago - https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/vmatter-cutlery-kitchen-knives/

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I don't really want to spend what an edge pro costs, how does this look as a knock off?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/FDS-Profes...ywords=edge+pro

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Soiled Meat

Jose posted:

I don't really want to spend what an edge pro costs, how does this look as a knock off?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/FDS-Profes...ywords=edge+pro

I got the other kind of knockoff that has a ball joint base instead of tripod legs. It works fine, but the only warning I'd give is that these Chinese knockoffs all probably use cheap plastic (mine did). Don't screw any of the screws too tight or you might crack the plastic (I did)

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Got my first good knife for my job as a chef at a Japanese restaurant. Togiharu damascus 10" gyuto. Gets a razor edge, but I need to work on maintaining it more, as despite the hard steel it seems to get dull over the course of a week or two. It's also fairly heavy, which I like. Melts through fish when the edge is fresh. I was gifted an old UX10 which has been sharpened down to a petty knife which I use for cutting herbs and the occasional fish if I don't feel like getting out the togiharu. I use a victorinox 8" chef's knife for breaking down hard vegetables, cutting avocados, and other generally abusive work. Saving up for a slicer now so I don't have to borrow someone else's, but I may move away from togiharu and get a nenox.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Would anybody know where I can get the Tojiro DP Gyuto in New York City? I was planning on getting the 2 PC set from chefknivestogo but their shipping says 3 to 6 business days and I'm leaving on December 2nd, so it's a bit too close for my taste.

I checked Tojiro's page and they list a distributor/reseller in New York, korin.com, but I can't find Tojiro knives anywhere in their page.

/Edit: They're also available on Amazon via Cutlery and More, which is also listed on Tojiro's distributor page.
Does anyone have any experience with then?

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Nov 25, 2016

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Edmond Dantes posted:

Would anybody know where I can get the Tojiro DP Gyuto in New York City? I was planning on getting the 2 PC set from chefknivestogo but their shipping says 3 to 6 business days and I'm leaving on December 2nd, so it's a bit too close for my taste.

I checked Tojiro's page and they list a distributor/reseller in New York, korin.com, but I can't find Tojiro knives anywhere in their page.

/Edit: They're also available on Amazon via Cutlery and More, which is also listed on Tojiro's distributor page.

I would go to the Korin store in TriBeCa and if they don't carry it see if they can order one for you, or pick up something similar.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Steve Yun posted:

I got the other kind of knockoff that has a ball joint base instead of tripod legs. It works fine, but the only warning I'd give is that these Chinese knockoffs all probably use cheap plastic (mine did). Don't screw any of the screws too tight or you might crack the plastic (I did)

Good to know. This is sufficiently cheap that I'm not too concerned. The edge pro is really expensive

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

Edmond Dantes posted:

I'm pretty sure Korin quit carrying Tojiro a while ago.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'm going to be in Japan and am thinking about picking up a knife. I have a pretty good santoku right now as my main, but I miss having a nice pointed tip to work with. I have a lovely little paring knife that does what I need it to do, and a lovely old knife for whacking through bones. What would you add to this? I can pick up a serious cleaver any time (I'm in China). I'm thinking either a good paring knife or a gyuto and then retiring the santoku to just chopping duty.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
My parents have a chunk of quartz countertop that could be used As a block / cutting board. Will using this dull my knives prematurely? Thinking of bringing it home.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Planet X posted:

My parents have a chunk of quartz countertop that could be used As a block / cutting board. Will using this dull my knives prematurely? Thinking of bringing it home.

Using quartz (or any other stone) as a cutting board will dull your knives very very quickly, and can also chip and break them. Never use stone for a cutting board, get an end cut wood one or a plastic one.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I thought so, I have some other smaller cutting boards already, thanks for the confirmation.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm going to be in Japan and am thinking about picking up a knife. I have a pretty good santoku right now as my main, but I miss having a nice pointed tip to work with. I have a lovely little paring knife that does what I need it to do, and a lovely old knife for whacking through bones. What would you add to this? I can pick up a serious cleaver any time (I'm in China). I'm thinking either a good paring knife or a gyuto and then retiring the santoku to just chopping duty.

Get a Moritaka gyuto. Bonus points if you get a hilariously huge one like Ricola.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Get a Moritaka gyuto. Bonus points if you get a hilariously huge one like Ricola.

That is not a cheap thing right there. I assume this is the sort of knife that lasts forever though.

E: I am now discovering there are depths of kitchen knife sperg forums. They seem to think Moritakas are unreliably made and most of them are crap.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Nov 25, 2016

• Locked thread