Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Being wrong is Mr.Bibs' posting gimmick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

MisterBibs posted:

So you missed the scene where Kurt Russell says they need to blow up the building (forgetting the unconnected buildings exist) in order to keep the temperatures up?

Must have done. I think they left that scene out of my copy.

e:

MisterBibs posted:

^ You mean the one that had a actual valid-looking Thing?

lol

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

ro5s posted:

I don't know what movie you've seen, but they blow up the base to freeze the Thing. Good job on getting the climax completely wrong, uncross your eyes next time you try watching something.

Um...

quote:

MacReady: Not for that Thing. It wants to freeze now. It knows it's got no way out of here. It just wants to go to sleep in the cold until the rescue team finds it.
Garry: What can we do? What can we do?
MacReady: Whether we make it or not, we can't let that Thing freeze again. Maybe we'll just warm things up a little around here. We're not gettin' outta here alive. But neither is that Thing.

So they proceed to blow up the building (but not all of them) to keep things warm, despite blowing up buildings making it colder.

Kinda content, given that videos are just really fast images: this is what they wanted, initially, for the effects on the 2011 Thing. See, that's just funny.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 15:31 on Oct 31, 2016

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Its a goddamn turn of phrase for blowing the alien to hell. Are you for real?

Edit: I'm starting to realize that this is probably an elaborate troll job, and I accept my complicity in its perpetuation.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
e: ^ don't care if it is, I'll still defend it

Seriously? He doesn't mean to literally raise the temperature a few degrees, he means to blow the gently caress out of the thing.

Though fair enough if you're replying to the poster on the last page who mistakenly thought freezing it was the plan.

Lizard Combatant has a new favorite as of 15:33 on Oct 31, 2016

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

blarzgh posted:

Its a goddamn turn of phrase for blowing the alien to hell. Are you for real?

Edit: I'm starting to realize that this is probably an elaborate troll job, and I accept my complicity in its perpetuation.

MisterBibs is well known as either a massive troll or highly autistic retard, in the World of Warcraft thread.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Lizard Combatant posted:

Seriously? He doesn't mean to literally raise the temperature a few degrees, he means to blow the gently caress out of the thing.

Though fair enough of you're replying to the poster on the last page who mistakenly thought freezing it was the plan.

Um...

quote:

Childs: Fire's got the temperature up all over the camp. Won't last long though.

I get it, you haven't seen the movie lately, with its scenes of setting random poo poo on fire and randomly throwing TNT around before heading to the generator.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 15:35 on Oct 31, 2016

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

MisterBibs posted:

So they proceed to blow up the building (but not all of them) to keep things warm, despite blowing up buildings making it colder.

This is going to sound like an insult, but it's really not. It's a serious question. Is English not your first language, or are you developmentally disabled in some way?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Yes, the imminent lack of fire is a bad thing. They're hoping they got it. Childs may also be the thing

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Guy Goodbody posted:

This is going to sound like an insult, but it's really not. It's a serious question. Is English not your first language, or are you developmentally disabled in some way?

I'm just capable of not letting my nostalgia for a film absolve bad writing and/or creating bizarre readings of rather clear-cut dialogue (blow up building to make sure monster can't freeze) accordingly. It's a skill, I suppose.

I still love the movie, but watching it with a modicum of critical thought makes it not hold up.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 15:40 on Oct 31, 2016

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
:thumbsup:

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

What the gently caress is this thread?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

MisterBibs posted:

I'm just capable of not letting my nostalgia for a film absolve bad writing and/or creating bizarre readings of rather clear-cut dialogue (blow up building to make sure monster can't freeze) accordingly. It's a skill, I suppose.

Yes, they're gonna make sure the monster can't freeze by killing it in an explosion. That's their plan. Your interpretation doesn't make any sense. You've created a bizarre, nonsensical reading of a very obvious piece of dialogue, and then attacked it for not making sense.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Guy Goodbody posted:

Yes, they're gonna make sure the monster can't freeze by killing it in an explosion. That's their plan.

I'm afraid the dialogue does not support such a reading. Remember, the only time an explosion was directed at the Thing was after the plan to set fire to everything failed.

Content:

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 15:48 on Oct 31, 2016

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Why would the Doc want to show Marty a solemn turd? How would a car driving at 88mph even achieve this, time machine or not?

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

MisterBibs posted:

Don't apologize for bad writing. If the writer is being lazy by not providing answers (you know, the whole point of a movie), it's okay to not like that.

Bad writing, as defined not by whether it succeeds at its goal but by a checklist in my textbook.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

MisterBibs posted:

I still love the movie, but watching it with a modicum of critical thought makes it not hold up.

Who cares?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
There are two options, either MisterBibs misinterpreted a line of dialogue in a movie, or there's a vast conspiracy of people who are openly lying to propagate the absurd myth that The Thing is a good movie, and only MisterBibs is honest enough to speak the truth

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I was there for all the Lost threads and a lot of movie threads and one thing has been consistent.

Goons are bad at watching TV.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Lots funny pics on this page

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tiny Lowtax posted:

What the gently caress is this thread?

You're not laughing your rear end off at this conversation too?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Guy Goodbody posted:

MisterBibs is honest enough to speak the truth

As with most things, it's this. Especially since nobody saw either Thing movie enough to count its viewership as "vast" over anything, leading to those that did see and like the film developing a innate compulsion to ignore clear dialogue to believe that a dumb plot point was totally not dumb. I suppose crashing the bulldozer into the side of the building was part of the plan to keep the Thing contained, by this logic.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 17:23 on Oct 31, 2016

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
If liked The Thing, then you might enjoy a short story from the other perspective. http://escapepod.org/2011/06/23/ep298-the-things/

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Go read the 10 Cloverfield Lane thread in CD. MisterBibs does this all the time.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

mr bibs somehow nearly died trying to eat a hot dog, twice, on back to back occasions, years apart, and brought this up like it was a completely normal thing that happens to every adult human.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Alaois posted:

mr bibs somehow nearly died trying to eat a hot dog, twice, on back to back occasions, years apart, and brought this up like it was a completely normal thing that happens to every adult human.

I think you have me confused with someone else. I had food impaction due to an immune disorder, twice, and I brought it up in the schadenfreude thread because it doesn't happen to every adult human, since said immune disorder is rare as poo poo.

Like understanding movies, reading is a skill.

Content, not sure how to link this direct:
http://m.imgur.com/gallery/SiZl7U7

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 18:07 on Oct 31, 2016

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

MisterBibs posted:

that's loving rich

where's that video of RLM telling you how dumb you are

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

I think you have me confused with someone else. I had food impaction due to an immune disorder, twice, and I brought it up in the schadenfreude thread because it doesn't happen to every adult human, since said immune disorder is rare as poo poo.

Content, not sure how to link this direct:
http://m.imgur.com/gallery/SiZl7U7

those are a bunch of words you typed trying not to look like a massive child idiot baby for being unable to eat a hot dog

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Oh, here it is.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Like eating hot dogs, being able to understand internet videos is a skill

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Alaois posted:

Like eating hot dogs, being able to understand internet videos is a skill

Why do you think they got so upset at someone understanding what RLM's videos boil down to? You have that skill, you know it's Not My Star Wars. You don't, you think there's content other than Not My Star Wars.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 18:27 on Oct 31, 2016

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Please do not interact in anyway with bibs.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

MisterBibs posted:

Why do you think they got so upset at someone understanding what RLM's videos boil down to? You have it, you know it's Not My Star Wars. You don't, you think there's content other than Not My Star Wars.

Or maybe it's the endless problems with writing, characterization, and directing that they painstakingly point out for hours. MisterBibs, what's your opinion about sand?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

DontMockMySmock posted:

Or maybe it's the endless problems with writing, characterization, and directing that they painstakingly point out for hours.

No, they said Not My Star Wars for hours. They gave a segment of the population who just wanted to say Not My Star Wars in a painstakingly verbose way that way to do it. Of course, it's just Not My Star Wars, over and over, for hours, like a multi-hour Best of Sheldon Cooper marathon.

As for sand, I have no opinion. This elephant might. (I found the last one funny, but can't crop it. Sorry.)

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 18:51 on Oct 31, 2016

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

goons posted:

*foams at mouth*

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Guy Goodbody posted:

There are two options, either MisterBibs misinterpreted a line of dialogue in a movie, or there's a vast conspiracy of people who are openly lying to propagate the absurd myth that The Thing is a good movie, and only MisterBibs is honest enough to speak the truth

Have you considered the possibility that instead of a conspiracy, these people have simply been replaced by effectively identical shape changing aliens? I recommend we perform some kind of blood test to check this theory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

Random Stranger posted:

Have you considered the possibility that instead of a conspiracy, these people have simply been replaced by effectively identical shape changing aliens? I recommend we perform some kind of blood test to check this theory.

Guess we better blow up the thread to (pick one):
Warm ourselves up
Freeze the goons
Kill the goons

• Locked thread