Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

Truecon420 posted:

Going to Games Workshop in Los Angeles shortly friends. Will try to get extra codes. Praise sigmar

Just got 3 Codes from the local store. It was a pleasant experience, everyone was nice even though it's pretty early. They had a large selection of stuff, but I just went up and asked for just the codes and they said take a couple. So here are two GROMBRINDAL the White Dwarf Codes:

69ER8-NAYN4-ZEKTJ

J7RQ9-2RNEX-PPFB4

Please reply if you've used one so other people don't waste trying, thankee.

If anyone wants the 20% or knows people who want it message me I have extra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Truecon420 posted:

Just got 3 Codes from the local store. It was a pleasant experience, everyone was nice even though it's pretty early. They had a large selection of stuff, but I just went up and asked for just the codes and they said take a couple. So here are two GROMBRINDAL the White Dwarf Codes:

69ER8-NAYN4-ZEKTJ

J7RQ9-2RNEX-PPFB4

edit: or not

Whorelord fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Oct 31, 2016

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

Truecon420 posted:

69ER8-NAYN4-ZEKTJ

J7RQ9-2RNEX-PPFB4

Hey, cheers, mate! :)

Took the top one.

e; also lol those both disappeared so fast. it's a good thing he's gonna be out for free in not too long

vvv well now i feel bad

brocretin fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Oct 31, 2016

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Truecon420 posted:

69ER8-NAYN4-ZEKTJ

J7RQ9-2RNEX-PPFB4

Both of those codes appear to be already used?

Edit: Ah gently caress, missed it by seconds.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i beat my first campaign, as the dwarfs. i regret waiting to get the technology achievement and one of the building ones bugged out, but otherwise it was a good experience. most fun ive had with a total war since.... medieval 1

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Truecon420 posted:

J7RQ9-2RNEX-PPFB4

Got this one, praise Grimnir!

Khazalid has no word for gratitude, but will have to do!

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

Plavski posted:

Both of those codes appear to be already used?

Edit: Ah gently caress, missed it by seconds.

I'm sorry :(

They seemed fine with giving out extra, so I'm sure more goons will come with more free codes. They literally said that they're only good until January and they have a ton

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

i work literally 5 minutes away from a gw so i really should just walk down during lunch one day... on the other hand i might be seen

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
I stopped playing this before any of the DLC came out. I just grabbed everything I was missing and there are now a load of new Lords and things to play with. Are there any good summaries of the strengths/weaknesses of the new lords and their armies?

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
Please someone get an extra code and pm it to me or you're all going in the book.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Plavski posted:

I stopped playing this before any of the DLC came out. I just grabbed everything I was missing and there are now a load of new Lords and things to play with. Are there any good summaries of the strengths/weaknesses of the new lords and their armies?

Skarsnik and Belegar both have very hard starts, especially Belegar since the upkeep penalty makes running a full stack really hard, let alone too. Rangers are amazing, they miss out on some armor and some offense compared to Quarellers but you can get them up to speed 45 which means you can actually run down fleeling infantry.

Wuzzrag is just fun but I haven't found it easy to run an all savage army.

Beastmen are super fun once you get used to using their beastwalk and encamp stances to lose the enemy. Minotaurs and Gorebulls are pure sex.

For empire Flagellants are great for locking up other infantry since they never flee and the militia are a nice ranged skirmish/vanguard unit.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Skarsnik's main thing is that he gets one stack under his faction leader that is absolutely amazing - with his lord boosts he gets goblins that can pretty much go toe to toe against Black Orcs. But his other stacks are very hobbled due to the Orcs in Eight Peaks Only rule. The new units greenskins get are pretty good generally anyway. Skulkers are good ambush infantry with the bonus of being able to slow enemies to increase your kills during the rout, and squigs are great, affordable anti-infantry cavalry. (Edit: oh also his waaghs are ridiculously powerful)

Generally speaking RoR are a great way to boost your armies in a hurry if you need it, and sometimes add some special value. They also can be pretty scary if you see them in the AI's hands sometimes...

Fangz fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Oct 31, 2016

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Plavski posted:

Empire got Volkmar the Grim, as well as the generic Arch Lector. Volkmar is a souped up Warrior Priest, having the same prayers (only better). His red tree is a bit worse than the generic lord, as it focuses more heavily on Flagellants. However, this combined with Volkmar's campaign trait can turn Flagellants into crazy strong madmen, although they retain their weakness to ranged attacks. I have found Flagellants to be great against Vampire Counts, who lack ranged attacks. Furthermore, the Unbreakable quality of Flagellants makes them a good counter to Fear and Terror causing undead. Volkmar also gets the Pope Wagon, which makes him a strong chariot that can also cast Banishment.
Militia are really good early game, especially against enemy Empire factions. They fall off towards the mid-late game though and should be replaced in the long run.

Vampires got Helman Ghorst and Vlad von Carstein. They're pretty different, so I'll break them apart.
Helman Ghorst is a necromancer lord. Like Kemmler but slightly less lovely. His campaign trait gives his army a weaker version of poison. This seems to overwrite actual Poison (unless it was fixed in a patch) so it's not great. He gets a corpse cart at least, and some good faction boosts to research, so he's not a bad replacement for a generic lord.
Vlad is the real deal though. A Vampire Lord whose campaign bonus gives his entire army Vanguard Deployment, and who has access to so many forms of regeneration your Regen cap is basically just a second health bar. He gets early access to a training skill, so your armies are going to become elite badasses during the campaign. Overall, he's probably the strongest legendary lord Vampires get, even with his lack of a mount and fewer magic lores than Mannfred.
For new units, Vampires have some nice stuff. Corpse Carts aren't that great, unless you get the upgrade that turns them into healing locuses. Then they're fantastic at bolstering a line, I like using them with zombies to make ultimate chaff. Mortis Engines are more traditional chariots, ethereal like hexwraiths and very deadly. Blood Knights are fantastic heavy cavalry, able to hold their own or win outright against both infantry and enemy cavalry.
Vampires also get the Strigoi Ghoul King generic lord. Less armored than the Vampire Lord, but stronger in melee and with regeneration. Overall, a good substitute but not mandatory.
Fnordcircle already cove

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Fangz posted:

Skarsnik's main thing is that he gets one stack under his faction leader that is absolutely amazing - with his lord boosts he gets goblins that can pretty much go toe to toe against Black Orcs. But his other stacks are very hobbled due to the Orcs in Eight Peaks Only rule. The new units greenskins get are pretty good generally anyway. Skulkers are good ambush infantry with the bonus of being able to slow enemies to increase your kills during the rout, and squigs are great, affordable anti-infantry cavalry. (Edit: oh also his waaghs are ridiculously powerful)

Generally speaking RoR are a great way to boost your armies in a hurry if you need it, and sometimes add some special value. They also can be pretty scary if you see them in the AI's hands sometimes...

Night Goblin Warbosses can field armies of super-goblins too! It's not just Skarsnik's army that can benefit.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Strigoi ghoul kings get a replacement for raise dead that can summon a unit of crypt horrors, which is all you need to know.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Wuzzrag is an strong and fun Lord with a ton of really powerful items and abilities, but he only gets cheap/boosted Savage Orcs for his own personal army, and your savage orc only garrisons are pretty subar, making defense difficult even by Greenskin standards. Overall you really have to leverage his one powerful army for all it's worth because most everything else you get is lacking compared to other Greenskin factions. Basically a really fun character leading a weak faction, which actually describes him in the lore pretty well.

Volkmar is my favorite Empire Lord, Crank up his Yellow and Red skill trees along with the top bar and he becomes a support monster cruising around the battlefield on his sweet party-wagon. Take the time to learn how to use his free banish, I've gotten hundreds of kills with Volkmar getting some lucky placement with that thing combined with running people over and spamming soulfire. Campaign-wise you want to get some temples up and try to grab middleheim for the ability to pump out level 15-20 Warrior Priests, depending on skill selection.

Just be really careful with him in early battles, he starts squishy. Flaggelants are good and worth using in combination with Volkmar's skill buffs but never as a frontline, put some actual armored guys in front and use the Flaggelants as flanking or reserve troops. They're strong but only worth massing against VC, who they're actualy kinda amazing against.

Also the real advantage of starting with Ghorst is the insane +20% replenishment bonus for all forces, but he's still not remotely as good as Vlad overall. Decent though, and reasonably fun.

madmac fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Oct 31, 2016

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

madmac posted:

Also the real advantage of starting with Ghorst is the insane +20% replenishment bonus for all forces, but he's still not remotely as good as Vlad overall. Decent though, and reasonably fun.

Honestly, the biggest factor for me in picking my starting Lord is how easy the others are to unlock. Vlad's a huge pain in the rear end to unlock. Mannfred and Ghorst are trivial, and Kemmler is something you're going to do by mid game anyway (why care about Kemmler though?). Volkmar and Gelt are both slow to unlock, so I start as either of them for the Empire.

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

BY THE GEARS OF ZHUFBAR, a Grombrindal testing report! I figured I'd give back to the thread for my selfish key-grubbing and take a look at what most of you are missing out on (in an MP context). Grombrindal is clearly kitted out as a duellist/support lord, similar to Vlad in a lot of ways. I pitted him up against a bunch of Legendary Lords and generic lords, and was not really very impressed, to be quite honest:

code:
grimgor - reasonable victory
karl franz - reasonable victory
belegar - reasonable victory, but it takes forever
ungrim - horrible loss
thorgrim - reasonable victory, but it takes forever (no surprises there)
leoncoeur - reasonable victory
mannfred - horrible loss
kholek - horrible loss
archaeon - decisive victory, not even a contest
skarsnik - reasonable victory, but skarsnik could totally win it outside of the testing zone
sigvald - reasonable victory
vlad - horrible loss, the amount of regen going on here is decisive

also some common standard lords, these would all be tipped by better-than-ai potion use most likely, but that’s not going to be around for very much longer anyways
night goblin warboss - decisive victory, but grombrindal is twice the cost
orc warboss - decisive victory
general (gryphon) - reasonable victory
general (warhorse) - decisive victory
chaos lord (dragon) - horrible loss
chaos lord (manticore) - decisive victory
arch lector (warhorse) - decisive victory, but it takes forever
bretonnian lord (warhorse) - decisive victory
In general, the pattern seems to be that Grombrindal wipes the floor with anything that's not a top-tier duelist lord, but costs an enormous amount on balance. Notably, he performs terribly against the Vampire Counts LL's, who he'd really have to be able to beat to be worth it. His Flash Bomb really helps him catch mounted lords and the Rune Axe of Grombrindal debuff can straight-up rout Greenskin leadership. He seems like he'd be better carving through enemy units early on and then going after the lord later, when they're weakened and he has an advantage. Compared to a Runelord, Thorgrim or Belegar he seems... not great. Competitively, at least. Being able to give Unbreakable to a Dwarfen army is not as awesome as it seems, since they have such high Leadership inherently.

tl;dr: Grombrindal is expensive and is a great duellist, but I don't think we'll be seeing him much in the meta. You could just bring Ungrim instead for 3/4ths the price.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
How do you guys compose and use your early game armies as the Crooked Moon? As in, right at the start. I've gone with a 4 Night Gobbo/4 Plain Gobbo frontline, 4 Goblin Archers, 6 Skulkers, and the giant spider.

The non-stealth gobbos move as a block to catch artillery fire while the Night Gobbos lurk right in front of the spears to charge and poison. Once they inevitably start to break, I shore up the frontline with the Gobbo spears. Meanwhile, the Skulkers move to flank and murder everything they can before leadership gives out. Skarsnik and the spider help where needed.

I think it's best I can work with considering my limited resources, but just like with ordinary Greenskins, fighting Dwarf armies usually ends up in extremely tight victories that don't get me much of an advantage on the strategic map. Also, my non-Skarsnik armies are going to be very gimped without the spider, so I figure I should raise some serious hell around my area before even thinking about expanding.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Oct 31, 2016

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
What's the MP meta like these days? Still crossbows and demigryphs?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Grombrindal's ancestor bonuses are crazy. I'm a big baby that plays on normal, but with this fucker I could easily see myself upping the difficulty. Turn 50-ish and I already have 3 provinces secured.
20% off code: 396YY-WNBR9-5FVAA
I'll post it in TW thread too

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Are those codes from games workshop available in Canada as well? I can jog over to a store near me and grab codes if so.

What do I need to do to get codes though? Is it a magazine or something?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Kaza42 posted:

Honestly, the biggest factor for me in picking my starting Lord is how easy the others are to unlock. Vlad's a huge pain in the rear end to unlock. Mannfred and Ghorst are trivial, and Kemmler is something you're going to do by mid game anyway (why care about Kemmler though?). Volkmar and Gelt are both slow to unlock, so I start as either of them for the Empire.

I used to lean that way too but the more recent Lords largely have game defining campaign bonuses and a lot of the factions at this point either have two many LLs (Vamps) or only one, so I don't really think unlocks are that important anymore.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Red Mundus posted:

Are those codes from games workshop available in Canada as well? I can jog over to a store near me and grab codes if so.

What do I need to do to get codes though? Is it a magazine or something?

just ask, theyr'e just a cardboard handout thing.

Edit: and yeah in canada, I'm canadian and they had them at the GW i stopped at.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

toasterwarrior posted:

How do you guys compose and use your early game armies as the Crooked Moon? As in, right at the start. I've gone with a 4 Night Gobbo/4 Plain Gobbo frontline, 4 Goblin Archers, 6 Skulkers, and the giant spider.

The non-stealth gobbos move as a block to catch artillery fire while the Night Gobbos lurk right in front of the spears to charge and poison. Once they inevitably start to break, I shore up the frontline with the Gobbo spears. Meanwhile, the Skulkers move to flank and murder everything they can before leadership gives out. Skarsnik and the spider help where needed.

I think it's best I can work with considering my limited resources, but just like with ordinary Greenskins, fighting Dwarf armies usually ends up in extremely tight victories that don't get me much of an advantage on the strategic map. Also, my non-Skarsnik armies are going to be very gimped without the spider, so I figure I should raise some serious hell around my area before even thinking about expanding.

Depends on who you want to fight early on, dwarves or humans. For dwarves I bring more nasty skulkers and less night goblins and less archers.

This is my current legendary Crooked Moon campaign at around turn 100:

I waited till I had 12 nasty skulkers then set out for Karak Norn. They moved into Wissenland to try to get around my army and to my starting town while I took their capital and Grimhold. Wiped them out when they finally arrived at my starting province. After that around turn 25 Clan Angrund was destroyed. You really need to kill them early or they'll become a huge pain in the rear end. Sacked and razed the border princes and Estalia next then moved on to the badlands. They'll constantly harass your coastal badland towns if you don't. Intentionally not confederating with the greenskins because they'll take some attention off you, might as well Grimgor do his thing, which seems to be fail horribly but it buys me some breathing room. He was about to be wiped out by the dwarves when I entered the badlands.

This was the last stand of the dwarves and maybe my bloodiest battle in this game so far, almost 7000 casualties.

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

lol okay it definitely is the Wood Elves. Check out the URL in there -

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Kitchner posted:

What's the MP meta like these days? Still crossbows and demigryphs?

Heroes with health potions.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

toasterwarrior posted:

Ditch the archers. Greenskin archers do alright vs other greenskins, Norsca and maybe VC, but they are not that great vs humans and useless vs dwarves. Don't forget your squigs also.

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

Oh Grombrindal is good at blending low-level infantry, even on his own. But that's not really something the Dwarfs need in a lord anyways, so...

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
How do you manage public order in your settlements as greenskins? I'm not entirely sure if fightiness has an effect but even if I'm fighting a battle every turn my towns constantly lose public order unless someone is garrisoned.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

huts? are cheap and spammable. Always release captives as you have a chance to roll + public order traits. Raid your own provinces to pop rebels to level lords.

difficulty matters as well. Legendary greenskins are terrible and you should probably raid/sack a good treasury for a home army before taking multiple provinces. Very Hard and below you can get away with 1/2 huts.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

How do you manage public order in your settlements as greenskins? I'm not entirely sure if fightiness has an effect but even if I'm fighting a battle every turn my towns constantly lose public order unless someone is garrisoned.

You don't give a poo poo, because you can easily get back to the town using the Underway ( it takes like 3-5 turns for them to go siege your city. ), and the Rebels can barely ever take a fully defended Greenskin town garrison.

Instead you use the rebellions to quickly get free Waaaghs, cause there is nothing Greenskins like more then fighting each other.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

Fightiness has no effect. Your main options are either to load up on boss's huts, do e.g. Skarsnik's quest ASAP to get his +5 public order prodder, or, simply to allow a slow and steady drain of public order and time your army recruitment/transfers so that your armies can bosh some rebels in the head en route to their destination for some free EXP, money, and fightiness.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I got a NIght Gobbo warboss with vanguard deployment and lightning strike. This makes field battles hilarious massacres. By the time the Arachnarok makes it to the frontline, the night goblin front and the nasty skulkers on the flanks have massacred the enemy infantry while two squig hoppers run roughshod through enemy archers and artillery.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yeah, Skulkers are def the unsung heroes of this DLC for me. They really fit a niche that I didnt realize existed, but are near vital now.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
I love vanguard Goblin bosses as artillery-seeking missiles.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
To nobodies surprise so was the tree image a wood elf teaser

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
I wish subjugating another faction let you still control the province. In order to unlock Vlad as a Lord in a Vampire game, you have to control both East and West Slyv, which pretty much makes keeping one of Templehof or Schwarzein alive impossible.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

cheese posted:

I wish subjugating another faction let you still control the province. In order to unlock Vlad as a Lord in a Vampire game, you have to control both East and West Slyv, which pretty much makes keeping one of Templehof or Schwarzein alive impossible.

Mannfred, and you can get him by subjulgating Schwarstzvrsrfzgren and directly controlling the rest. You can even have an active edict if a vassal controls the rest of a province you have stuff in!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

I've noticed that I sometimes roll a -1 Order trait on some leaders. Is there a way to get rid of it or minimize the chance of rolling it in the first place?

• Locked thread