Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Zahi posted:

Don't give advice if you don't know what you're talking about.

No kidding. The octane talk itt is dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

Zahi posted:

Realistically no one is gonna follow this advice. But plenty of people should.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Zahi posted:

Somebody's salty about gobbling up the octane = power bs

http://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=25692

quote:

Smaller, turbocharged engines can be used to raise fuel economy while meeting or exceeding the power and torque of larger engines, allowing engine downsizing and improved fuel economy with little or no performance compromise. Turbochargers work by using a turbine driven off the exhaust gas to pressurize the intake air. The pressurized intake air allows a turbocharged engine to produce more power compared with a naturally aspirated engine of the same size.

Because turbocharging forces more air into the combustion cylinder, it increases cylinder pressure and compression. However, increased compression can lead to an increased risk for engine knock (the premature combustion of fuel), which can damage the engine. Therefore, turbocharged engines typically require more design and operational features to prevent engine knock than naturally aspirated engines.

The octane rating of gasoline is an indicator of its resistance to spontaneous combustion. The higher the octane rating, the greater the resistance to preignition, the fundamental cause of engine knock. Use of higher-octane gasoline can offset the increased risk of engine knock caused by increasing engine compression. This higher octane is the reason why premium fuel has historically been required in performance and luxury vehicles that maximize power and torque.

In any case, unless your car is really old or was built in a shed the computer in it is advanced enough to mess with the timings to preempt knock, which will reduce performance and/or fuel economy but also prevent knock from destroying your engine. This goes for both turbos and NAs, its just that with the turbo is the only time I've actually noticed the reduction in performance.

Also modern technology is essentially magic. Mazda only recommends 91 RON (87 AKI) for their skyactiv NA engines despite a 14:1 compression ratio. My 1990s beemer had a ratio of 10.5:1 and recommended 95 lmao

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
I have a Honda and I think it takes gasoline? or maybe petrol

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

nocal posted:

I have a prius and it runs off of rainbows and good vibes. In a pinch, I can make it run off of NPR broadcasts, too!

j/k I'd never drive a prius listen to NPR

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

Somebody's salty about gobbling up the octane = power bs

http://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=25692

In any case, unless your car is really old or was built in a shed the computer in it is advanced enough to mess with the timings to preempt knock, which will reduce performance and/or fuel economy but also prevent knock from destroying your engine. This goes for both turbos and NAs, its just that with the turbo is the only time I've actually noticed the reduction in performance.

Also modern technology is essentially magic. Mazda only recommends 91 RON (87 AKI) for their skyactiv NA engines despite a 14:1 compression ratio. My 1990s beemer had a ratio of 10.5:1 and recommended 95 lmao

It's not that octane=power, it's that your forced induction/naturally aspirated advice is stupid. Running 87 on a modern naturally aspirated car probably won't hurt it, but the power/efficiency loss is a real thing. It may not be as pronounced as on a turbo car, but it's there. Use what the manufacturer recommends.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

wallaka posted:

It's not that octane=power, it's that your forced induction/naturally aspirated advice is stupid. Running 87 on a modern naturally aspirated car probably won't hurt it, but the power/efficiency loss is a real thing. It may not be as pronounced as on a turbo car, but it's there. Use what the manufacturer recommends.

But why? You've just stated exactly the same information as me, just with a different conclusion. 95 and 98 costs about 11-16% more than 91 RON and in 4 years of hard driving I never noticed any difference despite a recommendation to use 95.

I'll give a more valid criticism of my 'stupid advice'-- that I'm extrapolating from a small sample tested unscientifically. But if you went out tomorrow and filled 91 for the first time after years of filling 95/98 and noticed no significant difference in performance or fuel economy and knowing that modern engines automatically preempt knock, then why wouldn't you save that significant, both psychologically and economically, 11% in fuel cost?

Here's some words (containing some additional qualifications that should be obvious) from people who did actually test it in a slightly more rigorous fashion

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/regular-or-premium

quote:

The results were more dramatic with the test cars that require premium fuel. The turbocharged Saab's sophisticated Trionic engine-control system dialed the power back 9.8 percent on regular gas, and performance dropped 10.1 percent at the track. Burning regular in our BMW M3 diminished track performance by 6.6 percent, but neither the BMW nor the Saab suffered any drivability problems while burning regular unleaded fuel. Unfortunately, the M3's sophisticated electronics made it impossible to test the car on the dyno (see caption at top).

Our tests confirm that for most cars there is no compelling reason to buy more expensive fuel than the factory recommends, as any performance gain realized will surely be far less than the percentage hike in price. Cheapskates burning regular in cars designed to run on premium fuel can expect to trim performance by about the same percent they save at the pump. If the car is sufficiently new and sophisticated, it may not suffer any ill effects, but all such skinflints should be ready to switch back to premium at the first sign of knock or other drivability woes. And finally, if a car calibrated for regular fuel begins to knock on anything less than premium or midgrade, owners should invest in a tuneup, emissions-control-system repair, or detergent additives to solve, rather than bandage, the root problem. Class dismissed.

Alright, for the Saab you get about a performance drop about proportional to the fuel unit price savings, but in an M3 that 6.6% is still about half that of the 10% difference in 95/91 RON, though its likely that anyone who owns a modern M3 would care very much about that 6.6% in lap times while giving zero fucks about saving money at the pump

So all in all the more scientific test was neutral. It doesn't kill your engine.. probably (and lets face it, I've never heard of untuned, unchipped high performance cars made in the last ten years getting knock warning, so this reads like a cover-your-rear end legal disclaimer), and even in performance cars the decrease in performance was at most the savings unit fuel cost.

I gave that stupid advice because apart from many people not actually knowing that their recommended fuel grade is, lots of people buy premium fuel despite knowing that their maker recommends the cheapest 91 because they bought the bullshit about high octane = better performance/economy all the time, or that advertisement where filling V-POWER = little people scrubbing the insides of your pistons as you drive. AAA estimates this unnecessary spending in the US to be in the tune of $2.1 billion a year (http://www.marketwatch.com/story/us-drivers-waste-billions-paying-for-premium-gas-aaa-says-2016-09-20)

A quote from that article,

quote:

(AAA said that only 16% of vehicles sold in the U.S. require premium fuel)

Now, maybe SA really is a forum filled with trust fund babies and billionaires, and by recommending 91 if your car has an NA engine I'm dooming many unfortunate goons to an embarrassing afternoon the next time they bring their aventador to a local lambo club's drag race event, or maybe I've given their ferrari enzos a sentence of death-via-91 RON, but I would wager that its more likely the people reading my post fall into the category of people-who-fill-premium-for-no-reason, don't you think?

e: for content

So I can impale my fingers

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT has a new favorite as of 17:09 on Oct 31, 2016

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

My 2011 Crown Vic takes something called FlexFuel but I just put regular in it and it seems to run ok. What would happen if I put premium in a FlexFuel V8?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

nocal posted:

There's only one thing you need to fuel your vehicle...

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

My 2011 Crown Vic takes something called FlexFuel but I just put regular in it and it seems to run ok. What would happen if I put premium in a FlexFuel V8?

When you fuel up, just do this...

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

FlexFuel just means your engine can run on higher ethanol/methanol fuels than older engines designed for 0 ethanol (that can sort of run but less well on E10 THANKS FEDERAL GOVERNMENT FOR CORN SUBSIDIES ASSHOLES) so if you put premium in it... you'll just waste money

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Zahi
Jun 4, 2009

bent

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

Now, maybe SA really is a forum filled with trust fund babies and billionaires

Whole lotta words demonstrating that you don't know. Basically by using lower octane than you're supposed to, the fuel doesn't burn properly. The manufacturer recommends fuel based on compression and they design the engine around a certain octane. If you're trying some scheme to save money, you're just going to burn your valves and it will cost you in the long run.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

We interrupt the least interesting derail in thread history to learn that toucans will eat faberge eggs

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Expensive as gently caress winter parka that should keep me warm for years to come. Quite happy that it's made in Quebec.

Expensive as gently caress merino base layer that I got for free

Not being cold will be fun

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I wish it got cold here. It's hot as balls in California and it hasn't rained in a decade. Help us and send water.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

KingColliwog posted:

Expensive as gently caress winter parka that should keep me warm for years to come. Quite happy that it's made in Quebec.

Canada Goose?

Dogbrisket
Jun 10, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

I wish it got cold here. It's hot as balls in California and it hasn't rained in a decade. Help us and send water.

?????? It's been raining weekly for the last 3 weeks or so ??????

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Josh Lyman posted:

Canada Goose?

Quartz Co. Very similar to canada goose in materials and pricing, although I like to think it's a bit higher quality since it's all handmade here om Quebec in a small factory and much less of them are being made and it's not a well known brand so they can't just ride their logo. It certainly looks a bit higher quality (especially the fur which is also removable which is a nice bonus)

Also has the advantage of not being canada goose so people won't think I'm a tool quite as much. Before hearing about this I was thinking of buying a canada goose with the black logo so it wouldn't stand out as much but would have settled for a regular canada goose in a worst case scenario because I'm sick and tired of being cold and other great parkas are fugly or more expensive.

KingColliwog has a new favorite as of 02:27 on Nov 2, 2016

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Dogbrisket posted:

?????? It's been raining weekly for the last 3 weeks or so ??????

Yeah but my lawn is still dead. A little rain doesn't mean we're out of the drought.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Mu Zeta posted:

6 month of winter isn't that fun either.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

KingColliwog posted:

6 month of winter isn't that fun either.

You get spring, though, and festival season, at Atwater Market if I guess city correctly.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Subjunctive posted:

You get spring, though, and festival season, at Atwater Market if I guess city correctly.

Wrong city (3 hours east) but yeah atwater market is nice and so is festival season and spring/autumn are great. Basically, the 2 weeks of "not snow" are really awesome

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I like Pittsburgh. We get like 3 months of "Probably shouldn't ride today but it's safe enough if I take it easy...", a week or two of "Oh god did I put the snow tires on the car?", and then a 9 month "Cool but beautiful -> Too hot -> Cool but beautiful" horseshoe.

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.
Not something I planned on getting but

Because this morning at my desk I opened my LG G4 and it froze. Then it got bootlocked and would not enter diagnostic mode. By chance, the guy at the carrier store was a very old friend of mine who managed to accept my bricked G4 as a trade in, and I got $300 in credit for accessories, so I got an Otterbox, battery back up, a few other things and

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
New gen Kindle Paperwhite for $79 thanks to a pricing error that Amazon customer support honored. Still happy with my old gen 1, but this was a great deal and I've been wanting the backlight for reading in bed/camping.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Bottom Liner posted:

New gen Kindle Paperwhite for $79 thanks to a pricing error that Amazon customer support honored. Still happy with my old gen 1, but this was a great deal and I've been wanting the backlight for reading in bed/camping.

The Paperwhite is truly a Good Kindle. I love mine, the light is so good. The page-flip takes a bit of getting used to, but now picking up my old one feels like trying to cut food with a spoon.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I

treiz01 posted:

Not something I planned on getting but

I thought they stopped selling these because they are bombs?

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

ddiddles posted:

I thought they stopped selling these because they are bombs?

I got the regular S7 not the Note. My buddy was telling me that they are stuck with several dozen because they are no longer allowed to ship them, so they are just gonna sit in the store. For how long? No one knows!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

A fancy faux-stainless airsoft 1911 to be my new game gun. I'm probably going to throw on black grips.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

Got one of these for my niece today because books are expensive in NZ and she reads faster than Johnny-5.

After much loving around with Amazon accounts, gift card balances, and geographic sale restrictions. I finally managed to set it up so she can read books at cheap UK prices.

And people wonder why there's piracy.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I got this Philips wake up light on sale. Hopefully this will turn my life around.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0093162RM

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

xtal posted:

I got this Philips wake up light on sale. Hopefully this will turn my life around.

Sweet, I need one of these too! I can only get a good night's sleep if it's pitch-dark in my room, but then it's super hard to wake up in the morning. Perfect.

strangemusic has a new favorite as of 17:35 on Nov 2, 2016

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

xtal posted:

I've had one for a year, since I moved to Seattle, and the difference between days I don't use it and days I do are like night and day.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I don't even own a record player. Link here: https://mondotees.com/products/shovel-knight-the-definitive-soundtrack-pre-order

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Should have this included: https://youtu.be/t_o9ExNaAb8

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
A couple of these for the house we're moving into:

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
Theatre tickets for a show (booked for next May!)

https://www.londontheatre.co.uk/show/don-juan-in-soho

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Solid Cake posted:

Would you mind coming back and posting a trip report after you've used it for a few weeks? I'm actually in the same position you are - I have a Nexus 6P right now and it's a fine phone, but the reviews on the Pixel XL are very enticing. I've only had my Nexus for a year but I'm wondering if it's worth the upgrade. Would really appreciate it!

Follow up as requested - The Pixel XL is the best phone I've ever used. That being said, the 6P was the best phone I had ever used before that. There are two things I miss about the 6P - tilt to wake ambient display and stereo front facing speakers, although the downfiring Pixel speaker is way better than I expected. If I didn't keep putting my fingers over it I wouldn't mind.

Honestly, unless you're rolling in money, I'd wait for next year. It's just not a big enough leap, especially once you get 7.1 on the 6P (I was in the beta program). It's a shame the 6P didn't get the recognition it deserves.

Loving the camera though, took this shot tonight in downtown Vancouver (no editing, no natural light, pouring rain)

UnfortunateSexFart has a new favorite as of 09:40 on Nov 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Sunrise lamp trip report: wow I feel awesome and don't want to die clutching feebly at an inevitable third coffee this morning.

A++ purchase.