Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
When the hell is the Ric Flair one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

zakharov posted:

Wasn't she a freelancer?

I looked it up and yes, you're right; however Rolling Stone higher ups did say she would continue to write for them
http://money.cnn.com/2015/04/05/media/rolling-stone-uva-rape-article-columbia-probe/

quote:

An institutional failure at Rolling Stone resulted in a deeply flawed article about a purported gang rape at the University of Virginia, according to an outside review by Columbia Journalism School professors.

The review, published Sunday night, says the failures were sweeping and "may have spread the idea that many women invent rape allegations."
At the same time the review came out, Rolling Stone officially retracted the story and said sorry. But the publisher, Jann Wenner, has decided not to fire anyone on staff. He believes the missteps were unintentional, not purposefully deceitful.

A spokesperson for Wenner told CNN that Erdely will continue to write for Rolling Stone.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

NickRoweFillea posted:

When the hell is the Ric Flair one

I can get drunk and lie to you for 90 minutes if that's what you really want to see

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Mob posted:

I can get drunk and lie to you for 90 minutes if that's what you really want to see

Only if you get Terry Funk

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Believeland was kind of disappointing. Felt more like a montage of bad things than anything deep. Needed more length and interview subjects.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Henchman of Santa posted:

Believeland was kind of disappointing. Felt more like a montage of bad things than anything deep. Needed more length and interview subjects.
Related, I liked the NFL films doc about Cleveland's last season before they became the Ravens.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

Henchman of Santa posted:

Opening with "Burn On" was great. Realized they couldn't improve on the Major League intro, smart.

Having not really known the background behind Modell heading to Baltimore, it seemed extremely kind to him given the vitriol Clevelanders hold toward him. The doc also seemed to gloss over the facts surrounding when Modell first tried to leave; they made it sound like he was continually rebuffed by the indifferent city council, and as a last resort had no other recourse but to leave. Then they drop it in at the end like an 'oh by the way' that he was having clandestine meetings with Baltimore from a much earlier point in the process than he let on.

Surely we have the facts about that timeline by now?

Also, don't know why, but I wanted to hear more about how awful the Cavs' ownership was before Gund bought them. They made it sound like the owner was intentionally sinking the team.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

The documentary was lovely for a lot of reasons, but it sugarcoated the gently caress out of everything behind "the move" and that bearded dude sounded like a straight up Modell apologist.

Modell 'being kind enough to take on the costs of the stadium', was a bunch of bullshit. Sure, he got to lease the stadium for $1 a year and operating costs. However, that also means he essentially sublet the stadium to the Browns and the Indians, and got paid for any concerts or other events held there (tickets/concessions). He put in luxury seats and increased advertising.

Even though the Indians were lovely, Modell made a buck off of them: Modell was collecting money from the luxury seats sold at Indians games.

That's not counting, of course, the money from NFL TV deals.

Yea, Cleveland Municipal Stadium was a dump. There wasn't even running water to the press/team box areas all the way at the top. There were poles all over the loving place that obscured your view. If you were 'lucky' enough to get a seat in the lower bowl under the upper bowl: congratulations! You couldn't see where a pop fly or football went.

I got tickets for Indians games 11 rows behind home plate all the time and they were terrible. Why? Because there was a large walkway that separated rows 1-10 and 11-xx that went through the stadium. That means you couldn't see poo poo because people were milling about all the drat time back and forth.

When the Gateway first started being talked up- a football stadium was part of the deal (although at first it would have been mixed use- but separate stadium came into play later on). It went loving nowhere because although the city would have built him a loving stadium, he didn't want any part of it because he wouldn't own it afterwards. Essentially, he wanted Cleveland to pay for it to be built and then given to Modell.

So Gateway gets built. Things go great (especially for the Indians as a team). Modell is stuck in his crumbling shithole. Now he wants out. City Council approved a sin tax extension to go on the ballot (no one thought that it wouldn't pass it if came to be), but now Modell is all loving quiet.

And yea, what was mostly a footnote in the Believeland doc was a big loving deal: Modell was in secret negotiations with Baltimore.

I can't speak of how much Modell 'wanted to be loved' or about his philanthropy. I do know, however he managed it, that he was terrible with money. Some fans still hold the poo poo with Bernie against Modell, but he should absolutely be heckled for the stupid loving Rison contract among other things.

Another footnote that may have been helpful (but I don't think Believeland brought up), was that Modell had to sell the Ravens (yea even after getting 50 million) because he was in the hole.

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

Does the Cleveland doc talk about Ted Stepien at all?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Atheistdeals.com posted:

Does the Cleveland doc talk about Ted Stepien at all?

For like two minutes. Admittedly they're a pretty funny two minutes.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Any time you get a rule named after you it should probably be worth more than 2 minutes I think

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
This is a great video, for so many things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_gmrudvXTg

"Today, Cleveland made national news again, because a man was on top of Terminal Tower throwing things at people down below."

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???
In the first episode of the new OJ doc there's a commercial that shows a couple frames of upcoming 30 for 30 episodes. The Flair one is in there, as well as the Catholics vs Convicts one, a Calipari episode, an early 80s U of Houston doc, one of Francesa (wut), one on the XFL, something about John Daly, a Darryl Strawberry and Doc Gooden episode, and finally something with a guy that looks like he might be in tennis or soccer (like a Bjorn Borg/Johann Cruyff type).

If you think of the 30 for 30 episodes as being a television series it's hard to think of a show that has been this good for this many years from the start.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah there's a mike and the mad dog one coming up.

I have also heard nothing but positive things about the OJ ones.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012
Part 1 of OJ Made in America was great. Brilliantly done. Looking forward to the rest of the series!

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Part One was amazing. Super good at teasing out OJ's relationship with other black athletes and race in the 1960s and 1970s. Did an amazing job making sense of the infamous quote "I'm not black, I'm OJ."

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
This whole doc is incredible through 4 episodes.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I've kinda went on a 30 for 30 binge this week.

Chasing Tyson I was too young to really understand the whole thing early on and what the importance was. B

The Gospel According to Mac I knew nothing of the story and found it really interesting. B+

The Prince of Pennsylvania I would have never guessed a doc about USA Wrestling would have drawn me in, but it did, and it was very well done. Almost cried at the end, so there is that. A

Trojan War This was fun to see the backstory and how everything came together. I remember watching the "Bush Push" and BCSNCG live fondly. I still think that UT-USC championship is one of the best games I've ever seen. B+

Four Falls of Buffalo Really well done. Being around 10 years old at the time, I definitely remember everyone making fun of the Bills. I wasn't into football then, but what they accomplished is astounding, and it is interesting to see how time has treated that. A-

The 85 Bears Really well done and I enjoyed it. Again, was young at the time (6 lol) but remember getting the Super Bowl Shuffle single to play on my Fisher Price record player because I had to have it. The only time I liked the Bears. B+

Fantasic Lies I also enjoyed this one and I think the director was able to make a hell of a film without a lot of key people agreeing to interview for it. I was finishing up college and super busy at the time, so it was interesting to see how everything played out in detail. A-

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Welp I'm in the new upgraded 30 for 30 for "BELIEVELAND"

https://twitter.com/GallesKraco3/status/748710176283172865'

red Danny Sullivan "5" hat jumping up and down like an idiot.

Had no idea they were filming us at the time.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I accidentally caught 'Phi Slamma Jama' live the other night and I really enjoyed it. I thought the pacing was good, and I didn't know the back story of Houston, and its astounding they went to 3 Final Fours in a row.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
WHENS THE RIC FLAIR ONE

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Also Billy Corben teased making a Jose Fernandez 30 for 30, I hope he does it

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I'm excited for the Jon Daly one

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

mayodreams posted:

I accidentally caught 'Phi Slamma Jama' live the other night and I really enjoyed it. I thought the pacing was good, and I didn't know the back story of Houston, and its astounding they went to 3 Final Fours in a row.

Oh poo poo it already ran? Figured they'd wait for college basketball season.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

mayodreams posted:

The Gospel According to Mac I knew nothing of the story and found it really interesting. B+
I thought this was going to be "Generic college coach turns around struggling program with strong Christian values" hour and then they got to Sal Aunese and :stare:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Tim Richmond: To The Limit is on Netflix now. I highly suggest anyone with even a passing interest in NASCAR or auto racing watch it. He's widely considered in NASCAR circles to be one of the best racers ever, but he died young, one of the first big names to die of AIDS. Before his death, NASCAR tried to railroad him as a junkie, because he was a feathered hair having, speedo wearing Hollywood playboy in a land of rednecks, and he whipped their asses.

It's whitewashed some by NASCAR, but his story alone is incredible. Cole Trickle from Days of Thunder was loosely based on him.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

VikingSkull posted:

Tim Richmond: To The Limit is on Netflix now. I highly suggest anyone with even a passing interest in NASCAR or auto racing watch it. He's widely considered in NASCAR circles to be one of the best racers ever, but he died young, one of the first big names to die of AIDS. Before his death, NASCAR tried to railroad him as a junkie, because he was a feathered hair having, speedo wearing Hollywood playboy in a land of rednecks, and he whipped their asses.

It's whitewashed some by NASCAR, but his story alone is incredible. Cole Trickle from Days of Thunder was loosely based on him.

Yeah it's really good.

It's also interesting to see some of the mea culpa from some of the drivers. None of them (apart from Petty Jr who seems like a cool dude) really say "I was wrong because he was just different" but it's still good nonetheless.

The story about Dale telling France it's bullshit that he was suspended because he was his toughest competition true or not, is really touching.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Kyle Petty is a stand up dude in that

Richard Petty is extremely punchable

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

VikingSkull posted:

Which reminds me: I want a 30 For 30 on Dick Trickle.

just because

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Would love to hear more Phi Slama Jama opinions. Been working on that one the past couple of years.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Crazy Ted posted:

just because

Sounds like he owned pretty hard.

quote:

He was also widely noted for having drilled a hole in his safety helmet so that he could smoke while racing, and for installing cigarette lighters in his race cars.[24] Trickle was allowed by NASCAR to smoke in the race car during yellow flag periods, and in the 1990 Winston 500 (now the Aaron's 499), Trickle was seen on live television by the in-car camera lighting up and smoking a cigarette.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Would love to hear more Phi Slama Jama opinions. Been working on that one the past couple of years.

I just moved to the Houston area and I really enjoyed it. Gave me a great explanation for the city's sporting culture and what UH used to be. Plus I love me some ball from that era.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Niwrad posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9fB1IcTD48

here's a short documentary on him, warning, depressing as gently caress

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Real talk, you did a great job. I don't follow basketball very closely these days and I'd kind of forgotten just how great those teams were.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

joshtothemaxx posted:

I just moved to the Houston area and I really enjoyed it. Gave me a great explanation for the city's sporting culture and what UH used to be. Plus I love me some ball from that era.

DJExile posted:

Real talk, you did a great job. I don't follow basketball very closely these days and I'd kind of forgotten just how great those teams were.

Hey thanks! Glad to hear it. Credit really goes to folks well above my paygrade, but I'm proud to have been a part of it. I was curious to see how the final cut worked out because most of the Benny stuff was down to the wire (we're talking weeks before airdate). Because of that angle we had to lose a lot of historical content we loved, like the Fonde rec center. Pros and college players would square off in these legendary pickup games there. Eric Davis claims that PSJ beat the Rockets there, which I'm inclined to believe.

If you are a dorky enough basketball fan to watch old games, 1983 UH-Louisville is amazing in its entirety.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

Hey thanks! Glad to hear it. Credit really goes to folks well above my paygrade, but I'm proud to have been a part of it. I was curious to see how the final cut worked out because most of the Benny stuff was down to the wire (we're talking weeks before airdate). Because of that angle we had to lose a lot of historical content we loved, like the Fonde rec center. Pros and college players would square off in these legendary pickup games there. Eric Davis claims that PSJ beat the Rockets there, which I'm inclined to believe.

If you are a dorky enough basketball fan to watch old games, 1983 UH-Louisville is amazing in its entirety.

I am definitely dorky enough. Thanks for sharing. And how did you get this gig anyways? Just curious!

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Nothin' fancy about it. I've been working in TV the past couple of years because I want nonfiction experience to go make my own documentaries and the director of PSJ is a partner at the company where I work. We did Brian and the Boz before this a couple of years ago.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Early press on the John Daly ep is really positive, so I'm looking forward to that.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

e- The most annoying thing about To The Limit is Bill France Jr's admission that HHRMPH, well, the drug test results may have been a bit skewed. :fuckoff:

Crazy Ted posted:

just because

Niwrad posted:

For emphasis, the second link Viking posted is a FOX/FS1-produced, 30-For-30-style short on Dick Trickle which is the ultimate bio on him so far.

Warning: It starts with his suicide call to 911.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Nov 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

Warning: It starts with his suicide call to 911.

oh man :smith:

• Locked thread